Trending Games | Pirate101 | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,007 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,953
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » MegaServer after EA's Simcity debacle

6 posts found
  gamekid2k

Novice Member

OP  3/08/13 12:20:46 AM#1

I have very little faith in this MegaServer techonology.  Last 12 months we had high profile server crashes incluidng Amazon AWS (took down Netflix), Gmail, etc.  Now Simcity is down 3 days in a row (some calling it the worse game launch in history).  

How can ESO pull it off?  They are new to MMO online technology unlike Blizzard or Sony. 

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

Reizla

Elite Member

MMORPGs are no longer about the mass multi-user anymore *sadly*

3/08/13 12:27:05 AM#2

All depends on how they setup their servers. Remember that Blizzard and SOE were new to the whole MMO scene as well. Heck, no real MMO scene when EQ(1) was released, so they both had to go through the whole trial & error learning curve...
These days, MMO developers should have an easy time to setup server(clusters) because it's all been done before and the technology is there now.

On SimCity... Yeah, kinda suck what happened there. Still don't get it why Europe now has 6(!) servers vs the 4 that the US/Canada still has

Demigoth's RPG adventures ~ My blog

AsRock 990FX Extreme3
AMD Phenom II 1090T ~3.2Ghz
GEiL 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
GTX660 (ASUS/EVGA) 3x HD monitor spanned 5760x1080
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

Kendane

Novice Member

3/08/13 12:27:12 AM#3

????

Since when was it ever mentioned SimCIty uses a Megaserver? EA annouched they're releasing MORE servers to compensate for the number of people......which kinda shows they don't use a megaserver and I'm failing to see where this doom and gloom topic is going.

Also at one time Blizzard had only released RTS games, and WoW has done very well. Sony.....eh EQ2 is doing alright, EQ1 did quite well but that was made by Verant, not them. Though I guess they're keeping people so...yay them. No not saying the game will be like WoW, because never making an MMO before hasn't stopped games from being a success.

azarhal

Hard Core Member

3/08/13 7:41:11 AM#4

OP which popular MMO launch didn't have server issues at release?

Most of the time the login servers can't handle the traffic because dev don't estimate properly how many people will try to login at day 0 hour 0 despite their local clock showing 3AM. That is why MMOs now have head-start.

austriacus

Novice Member

3/08/13 7:58:05 AM#5
Originally posted by Kendane

????

Since when was it ever mentioned SimCIty uses a Megaserver? EA annouched they're releasing MORE servers to compensate for the number of people......which kinda shows they don't use a megaserver and I'm failing to see where this doom and gloom topic is going.

Also at one time Blizzard had only released RTS games, and WoW has done very well. Sony.....eh EQ2 is doing alright, EQ1 did quite well but that was made by Verant, not them. Though I guess they're keeping people so...yay them. No not saying the game will be like WoW, because never making an MMO before hasn't stopped games from being a success.

To be fair they will add more "servers" to ESO if needed to, they just wont tell you. Afterall their mega server technology is just a convenient way of saying that they are using a lot of servers with an unified technolog. Marketing speak and all that, always works.

Nanfoodle

Advanced Member

3/08/13 8:55:32 AM#6
Originally posted by gamekid2k

I have very little faith in this MegaServer techonology.  Last 12 months we had high profile server crashes incluidng Amazon AWS (took down Netflix), Gmail, etc.  Now Simcity is down 3 days in a row (some calling it the worse game launch in history).  

How can ESO pull it off?  They are new to MMO online technology unlike Blizzard or Sony. 

This tech is not that new. Zone spinging off shards as they become filled is common and many MMOs have pulled it off without a hickup. Only new tech in this mega server is you can filter shard spin offs to play with like minded players. Thats it, nothing to see here move along!