Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,854 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,409
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » Is ESO a TES game? Analysis Inside

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
82 posts found
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/31/13 7:42:15 AM#41
Mael
You can put your fingers in your ears and go trallalalala all you like.

But daoc DID have more than 3 times the pve content of all these recent wow clone games like vanilla rift, tsw, swtor etc..

You are incorrect in the.ling its like taking a traditional wow style mmo and dividing the world in 3.

If they had gone with a tsw style design of let's all be chums in pve, but have some pvp for fun when not grinding dungeons in a tiny little map.

They would not need to include the whole of tamriel, they would have enough leveling content and dungeons from just having say skyrim, Morrowind and high rock in game.

Also you didn't play daoc, I don't believe you.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/31/13 7:47:20 AM#42
As an example
Tsw has 9 dungeons
Daoc has FOURTY ONE
  elocke

Spotlight Poster

1/31/13 7:47:52 AM#43
Originally posted by nate1980
Originally posted by Quaiden

Your information is so lacking I feel your opinion is not well developed enough for you to have posted this topic. Let me provide you with a link to a FAQ about the development with full annotations from which you can verify the information stated in the FAQ.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

One you look at this you might want to re-evaluate your postition. The devs have said from the very beginning they do not want an MMORPG TES game but a TES game you can play with your friends.

I won't deny that my knowledge of ESO as a whole is lacking, however, can you deny any of the points I've made. Because, if what I have stated is true, which afaik it is, then my analysis is true. 

I think the error here is in wanting the TES games to be unchangeable when entering a new genre, MMORPGs.  That's very unrealistic.  A lot of things will obviously change while keeping to the lore, aesthetics and various other aspects that make up the TES IP.  Especially combat and how the world is built, now that other players are being put into place as well as PVP.  I always found TES games to be full of style and possibility but I always stop playing 2 weeks later due to sheer boredom of playing by myself.  This game is the answer for players like me.  If they change some things, so be it. 

About the non exploration issue, that's a bunch of crap.  I love alts and this game will make rolling 3 characters feel fresh and new and will eventually let me see all the game has to offer, especially with exploration.  Just because I can't do it with one character, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

http://www.twitch.tv/elockethemmoaddict

https://twitter.com/MMOAddicted

fs23otm

Advanced Member

1/31/13 7:51:35 AM#44

People who complain about not being to travel the entire world with one character are silly. You couldn't travel the entire world in Skyrim, and people herald that as the best TES game ever. 

The truth is people are complaining just to complain. They think their opinions are the only correct opinions. The truth is the Devs opinions are the only ones that matter. 

Vorgarag109

Novice Member

1/31/13 7:51:50 AM#45

If ESO wen't by the book on a TES game it would not live long. GET over it.

I won't go into to much detail on it.

But how many of you actually were a BAD guy in TES?

You would then know that as a Bad guy you could Steal/Murder people in town and if done right get away with it. 

But how would that fit in a MMO that had no locked  factions no where was Safe(Theres guards but they are next to Useless) and PvP Enabled everywhere Oh and your corpse can be Picked clean of all items? I don't think that would Rollover to well specially if their is only 1 server. But all of those Features are in TES games. 

People would have no Idea how to start or do anything in such a game. New Players would constantly be Penalized just for joining into the game late. Not to Mention you'd have to deal with Evil Guilds.

Maelwydd

Advanced Member

1/31/13 7:55:18 AM#46
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Mael
You can put your fingers in your ears and go trallalalala all you like.

But daoc DID have more than 3 times the pve content of all these recent wow clone games like vanilla rift, tsw, swtor etc..

You are incorrect in the.ling its like taking a traditional wow style mmo and dividing the world in 3.

If they had gone with a tsw style design of let's all be chums in pve, but have some pvp for fun when not grinding dungeons in a tiny little map.

They would not need to include the whole of tamriel, they would have enough leveling content and dungeons from just having say skyrim, Morrowind and high rock in game.

Also you didn't play daoc, I don't believe you.

Believe me or no, I did play it. I had about 4 or 5 characters (I love making alts) but the game was unmemorable I can't even remember a single aspect of any of them. I think I only got to about level 20 when I got bored and moved on.

As for content. You only got to see 3 times the content if you created 3 characters. For most people that is wasted content. If you only have 1 character then 2/3rds of the quests that the game has are blocked off from you. It might as well never have been created. Think Schrödinger's cat, If you never create a character of another faction, do the quests actually exist? It is the upmost in gated content. In fact it is beyond gated content as you canoot walk thorugh to the content wih a character at all but would have to totally reroll.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/31/13 7:55:38 AM#47
Elocke
Not only that if you want to play every quest and see everything in any tes game, you have to roll multiple characters. You need at least 2 in skyrim and oblivion (although oblivions weird leveling system means you really need more), you need 3 in Morrowind.
  nate1980

Spotlight Poster

OP  1/31/13 7:57:05 AM#48
TES games don't have pvp in them, so I wouldn't assume ESO would have FFA PVP.
  Maelwydd

Advanced Member

1/31/13 7:58:36 AM#49
Originally posted by Vorgarag109

If ESO wen't by the book on a TES game it would not live long. GET over it.

I won't go into to much detail on it.

But how many of you actually were a BAD guy in TES?

You would then know that as a Bad guy you could Steal/Murder people in town and if done right get away with it. 

But how would that fit in a MMO that had no locked  factions no where was Safe(Theres guards but they are next to Useless) and PvP Enabled everywhere Oh and your corpse can be Picked clean of all items? I don't think that would Rollover to well specially if their is only 1 server. But all of those Features are in TES games. 

People would have no Idea how to start or do anything in such a game. New Players would constantly be Penalized just for joining into the game late. Not to Mention you'd have to deal with Evil Guilds.

A few questions.

Why would a player be able to steal/murder other players anywhere other then the cetral PvP hub?

Why are there no safe area's?

Why are guards useless?

Why is PvP enabled everywhere?

Why can a characters corpse be picked clean?

And when have you EVER been able to do ANY of those things to another player in a TES game?

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/31/13 7:58:57 AM#50
Mael
But....
If daoc just let everyone pve together, they wouldn't have bothered making 3 realms, 1 realm would have supplied enough content, so the game would have had a smaller world like rift or tsw or whatever. Why make duplicate dungeon and leveling content if you can save money by not making it.
  Maelwydd

Advanced Member

1/31/13 8:02:12 AM#51
Elocke
Not only that if you want to play every quest and see everything in any tes game, you have to roll multiple characters. You need at least 2 in skyrim and oblivion (although oblivions weird leveling system means you really need more), you need 3 in Morrowind.

But whichever character you had, you were not blocked from going anywhere. Some places were dangerous if you were a member of a faction but if you wanted to be a stormcloak you could still go to Solitude if you wanted. You could sneak in unseen or fight your way in if you were able. Having differning storylines (and that is what they are, differing storylines not hardcoded restrictions on where you can do and what you can do) has never changed the way you could play.

fs23otm

Advanced Member

1/31/13 8:05:20 AM#52

Could you go to Daggerfall in Skyrim?

Or Cyrodiil in Morrowind?

In ESO you can be in Skyrim and go to Morrowind and the Black Marshes and Cyrodiil.... that is like four TES games worth of material.

It is the same with the other factions. People need to relax. 

Maelwydd

Advanced Member

1/31/13 8:05:28 AM#53
Mael
But....
If daoc just let everyone pve together, they wouldn't have bothered making 3 realms, 1 realm would have supplied enough content, so the game would have had a smaller world like rift or tsw or whatever. Why make duplicate dungeon and leveling content if you can save money by not making it.

Good point. Why create duplicate quests and dungeons that 2/3 or the population cannot reach when you could put that content into the open world and have so much content that the usual complaint of "not enough content" would never be heard...

can't think of a single reason!

Maelwydd

Advanced Member

1/31/13 8:09:47 AM#54
Originally posted by fs23otm

Could you go to Daggerfall in Skyrim?

Or Cyrodiil in Morrowind?

In ESO you can be in Skyrim and go to Morrowind and the Black Marshes and Cyrodiil.... that is like four TES games worth of material.

It is the same with the other factions. People need to relax. 

Was the land of Daggerfall in the Skyrim game?

Or Cryodil in Morrowwind?

Listen, we are not complaining that they haven't created the entire universe with trillions of worlds all beautifully created so that by exploration we might one day stumble upon Earth and be able to walk in on a guy playing an online RPG that looked just like you!

We are saying, if you create the entire continent of Tamriel as least let us fucking explore it!

immodium

Elite Member

1/31/13 8:12:56 AM#55
Originally posted by Maelwydd

We are saying, if you create the entire continent of Tamriel as least let us fucking explore it with just one character!

Fixed for you. As you can fully explore all aspects of ESO.

immodium

Elite Member

1/31/13 8:18:07 AM#56
Originally posted by Maelwydd
Originally posted by haplo602

Get it into your head. In TES, there's exactly ONE hero. The world is made around him. Maybe it is NOT that obvious from the start, but the story and everything wraps around that one hero. This is not possible in MMORPG. Do you want another SWTOR debacle repeated ?

TESO has a personal story too....your point is?

Ever wondered why many people, after finishing a TES game go back and do not do the main story but just play the game and do side quests? If not then perhaps you should think why. And then perhaps explain what is Sooooo difficult to transpose into an MMO.

In my 600 hours of Skyrim play time, I have not touched the main story line.

However, the reason I replay with loads of characters has nothing to do with exploration. It's to create a different type of character.

IMO, ESO is perfect for me as I can create different types of toons and replay in totally different areas. Unlike Skyrim were I'm replaying the same content.

cowhead

Advanced Member

1/31/13 8:20:25 AM#57
Sure it is. In the same way that World of Warcraft is supposed to be a Warcraft game. Just because a game does something different with the established lore doesn't make it bad or not part of the general series.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/31/13 8:40:40 AM#58
Immodium
Same here. But it does get tedious playing through the same start every time.

One thing I wish they had done with skyrim is at character creation you pick a starting city. Then the first few hours on a new character wouldn't be so repetitive. Also if you were thinking "hmm I will make a raffles like imperial cat burglar" you could start at riften, or if you fancied making an orc out to unite the tribes you could start at a city near a stronghold etc..
  Maelwydd

Advanced Member

1/31/13 8:48:24 AM#59
Immodium

One thing I wish they had done with skyrim is at character creation you pick a starting city. Then the first few hours on a new character wouldn't be so repetitive. Also if you were thinking "hmm I will make a raffles like imperial cat burglar" you could start at riften, or if you fancied making an orc out to unite the tribes you could start at a city near a stronghold etc..

You should try the mod that lets to have a random start location. It certainly does improve replayability and lets you be any race and start in a random location, not forced into starting in a pre-determined location.

immodium

Elite Member

1/31/13 8:50:06 AM#60
Immodium

Yeah, it does get monotonous.

I think there's a mod out on the nexus with a fair few alternative starts depending on some custom character settings you have picked. I've not actually tried it myself so can't really recommend it.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search