Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,305 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,225,008
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » What the hell is going on with the anti holy trinity lately

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Search
166 posts found
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/18/13 10:26:27 AM#161
Ally

What I've been saying all along, good find, thanks.

There will be tanks, but you will tank through cc not spurious sword attacks that somehow magically make mobs more angry than other attacks
  Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

1/18/13 12:22:17 PM#162
Originally posted by Allymishka
I dont know what you guys do when your waiting for groups / tanks / healers etc, but when i ever was doing this I had a ton of fun cause thats when you find someone else waiting for a group make a great duo and go do some other content.  I guess this less fun these days cause all the content outside of a dungeon is usually for solo play which sucks for a duo working like a well oiled machine.  I hope they take a leaf out of EQ1's book and make most things almost too hard for a solo except in the starter zones. ( almost too hard with exception of the necro in eq1 of course) :p 

Games that force grouping (or make it impractical to solo) tend to end up niching themselves these days. Look at what happened to Dungeons and Dragons online, when it launched.  I was there.  There was very little to do, without having a group.  Matters are even more so these days.

Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

1/18/13 12:26:33 PM#163
Originally posted by Istavaan
I don't get mmorpg players, they say they want something different and when someone tries something different they complain that it's not the same as other mmo's.

Human nature.  People (in general) want what is familiar.   Some say that they want something different, but one only has to look at which games have been successful to understand the reality.

I suspect many of us are reaching the burn out point with WoW type games. But the mass market audience, hasn't reach that point yet.  Until market demographics change, I suspect we will see more of the same.

Torgrim

Spotlight Poster

1/18/13 1:16:48 PM#164
Originally posted by Istavaan
I don't get mmorpg players, they say they want something different and when someone tries something different they complain that it's not the same as other mmo's.

It's because they have such unreachable vision how a game should fit to their needs that It's totaly impossible to even make such a game.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

User Deleted
1/18/13 1:26:06 PM#165

Personally,  I have always enjoyed the mechanics of the trinity.  It seems like the most common gripe people have with the trinity is the fact that they have to wait for a tank or healer.

That's a prettly lame reason to throw out a system that has worked well for many years now.  The trinity also provides accountability to all party members which is important these days (looking at you LFG tools).   

People who argue that the trinity is old and no longer practical can look to GW2 for salvation but most would agree that the dungeon experience there was more chaotic than fun (can't speak to fractals though, haven't tried them).

The really nice thing these days is that we're beginning to see games that cater to each side of the argument.  If you like the trinity you certainly have plenty of options and if you don't, there appears to be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Allymishka

Novice Member

1/18/13 4:28:33 PM#166
Originally posted by Wraithone
Originally posted by Allymishka
I dont know what you guys do when your waiting for groups / tanks / healers etc, but when i ever was doing this I had a ton of fun cause thats when you find someone else waiting for a group make a great duo and go do some other content.  I guess this less fun these days cause all the content outside of a dungeon is usually for solo play which sucks for a duo working like a well oiled machine.  I hope they take a leaf out of EQ1's book and make most things almost too hard for a solo except in the starter zones. ( almost too hard with exception of the necro in eq1 of course) :p 

Games that force grouping (or make it impractical to solo) tend to end up niching themselves these days. Look at what happened to Dungeons and Dragons online, when it launched.  I was there.  There was very little to do, without having a group.  Matters are even more so these days.

I totally get what your saying... but i guess my whinge is that isnt the solo content just too easy... i mean you can be any class and just stand there hit your primary attack a few times and they are dead.  Make stuff soloable but some kind of difficulty increase would be entertaining as you go through the levels,  Just increasing mobs hitpoints as you increase spell damage means each solo fight is almost identical. (a few boss mobs aside) I cant figure out how people can go through 50 levels of solo play whether its on a quest to collect 10 bananas or not lol

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Search