Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,789,439 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,679
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

11 posts found
  Raserei

Novice Member

OP  1/08/13 2:46:11 PM#1

So they say they wanna stay away from the trend of hitting the level cap and having nothing to do. So what do they do to compensate this? They do the same generic thing every other MMO does. Say there is RvR, large scale PvP, and new zones....

Well, Guild Wars 2 has that and I didn't like GW2. In fact, there isn't a single MMO I can think of that has been great in th past 5 years. 

My prediction is that TESO will end up like Star Wars TOR.... A company who excelled at single player games tries to make an MMO and fails. It's gonna be the same thing with a new skin, this time ELDER SCROLLS SKIN!

I'm currently playing Asheron's Call 2. Made in 2002... The level cap is 150 but it will take you forever to get there because the game was DESIGNED AROUND ENDLESS ADVENTURE. AC2 is by far the best MMO concept right now. The game design is insanely well done. Maybe if Elder Scrolls looked into that same concept.

The problem with MMO's in the present time is this issue. The feel to be the same as everything else and it's almost like the dev's are delusional when they say "It will be different and next-gen." Because we have done about 300 linear quest lines already. Why do I want to do a linear quest line to a level cap? That isn't what an MMO is... But thats what they THINK an MMO is...... There is not a single company besides Turbine right now that makes good MMO's.

User Deleted
1/08/13 2:52:22 PM#2

I actually like the traditional level cap, holy trinity, and tiered gear system.  Blizzard has done a great job of perfecting it really.  Release a game, support the level cap with new content every 4 to 6 months, and release a new expansion every 2 to 3 years. Rince and repeat.

I think a lot of this industry talk about things like F2P and level caps and getting rid of quest hubs and holy trinities and stuff, is all just attempts at trying to differentiate themselves from the mainstream guys.  That's fine if they have alctual alternatives to offer, but what we're seeing is a bunch of half assed hybrid systems that get rid of certain things, but don't really replace them with anything else, ala GW2.  It's a mess and not really working.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/08/13 3:30:54 PM#3
I don't think they will vertically expand like wow. Both daoc and uo expanded horizontally.

I wouldn't expect wow style gearing either, there will be gear progression but I would expect it to be more daoc like - flatter curve with crafted gear and pvp gear equal to raid gear.

Also the game won't have wow style quest hubs. The way they talk about outdoor pve sounds like a mix of gw2 and tsw approaches.

There will be trinity. But. There won't be an agro table, expect pve tanking to work like pvp tanking - e.g. tanks as primary crowd controllers, lots of guard and deflect utilities, tanking through collision detection, crowd control and hit deflection.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/08/13 3:35:01 PM#4
Raseri
Bethseda aren't making TESO.

It's zenimax online studios.
Many of the staff are ex daoc and uo devs who fled the dreaded ea.
Also ex paragon devs that left when coh changed hands.
There are some single players devs from bethseda and id. But they're a pretty well experienced bunch. It's not like the swtor team, single player guys with a few marketing bullshitters bussed in from warhammer.
  donjuanagain

Novice Member

1/08/13 3:39:44 PM#5
I wish someone would remake ultima online and update it with todays technology. I would play that again.
  Ice-Queen

Apprentice Member

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

1/08/13 3:52:41 PM#6
Originally posted by donjuanagain
I wish someone would remake ultima online and update it with todays technology. I would play that again.

There are several games I'd say that too. Ultima Online and Asheron's Call 1 both could use a revamp/reboot with todays graphics/mechanics. Heck, they have more in those 2 old mmorpg's than anything in today's themepark, crap, games they call mmorpg's today.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

Noxxumari

Novice Member

1/08/13 4:17:16 PM#7
Wow is great and all that if you have been playing forever and get heirlooms, they have almost zero new subs which is evident by the empty newb areas and the twinks in dungeons. So all blizzard is good at doing is keeping the millions playing. Hopefully this game will do something about that because it looks awesome, but so did swtor. I have yet to try gw2 but thats next week.
  keithian

Hard Core Member

1/08/13 6:00:12 PM#8
Originally posted by asmkm22

That's fine if they have alctual alternatives to offer, but what we're seeing is a bunch of half assed hybrid systems that get rid of certain things, but don't really replace them with anything else, ala GW2.  It's a mess and not really working.

I love when people make these broad statements that make no sense except if you compare to WOW which was an enigma and was released at just the right time. GW2 is doing just fine. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean the hundreds of thousands enjoying it feel the same. It seems to be doing quite well to me in comparison to any other MMO out there.

There Is Always Hope!

Raserei

Novice Member

OP  1/09/13 3:41:55 AM#9
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Raseri
Bethseda aren't making TESO.

It's zenimax online studios.
Many of the staff are ex daoc and uo devs who fled the dreaded ea.
Also ex paragon devs that left when coh changed hands.
There are some single players devs from bethseda and id. But they're a pretty well experienced bunch. It's not like the swtor team, single player guys with a few marketing bullshitters bussed in from warhammer.

This I did not know. Thank you. That changes things a little bit.

Caliburn101

Novice Member

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

1/11/13 3:32:49 AM#10

A few things;

It believe is IMPERATIVE that characters of any faction can go into other faction areas...

IMPERATIVE...

I would suggest (at this late stage) putting 'disguise kits' in the game which change a characters appearance just enough to let them travel elsewhere and do the quests and dungeons etc.

These would be one-shot items which take a head slot and give no stat bonsues etc. so it wouldn't be a first choice - but would give a variety of challenge.

Spying quests could give an opportunity to go as well - "Lord X's tomb has been discovered in the Al'Akir desert and we want YOU to loot it before the accursed enemy". Then you get 'smuggled' to it and can't stray too far before getting ambushed by gaurds - but hey - it would give access to other regions in a controlled and metaplot appropriate way.

It would be pretty easy to program too.

Guild Halls are a must-have, period. Player housing is not so important as long as the Guild Halls are large and extensive and give everyone a long period of building and customisation to get their teeth into.

These things should not be glossed over or ignored - they are important to longevity. and avoiding crashing into 'The Wall'.

Amana

MMORPG.COM Staff

1/11/13 9:05:54 AM#11

If you wish to discuss this topic, please do so in the original feedback thread: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/373837/Column-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Avoiding-the-Wall.html

We don't do this if it's just news, but if it's an original feature of ours, we do ask that discussion happens in the post.

To give feedback on moderation, contact community@mmorpg.com