Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | EverQuest Next | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,889 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,312,998
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » ''One mega server which is smart about putting you with your friends'' - no thanks.

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Search
155 posts found
  Niburu

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 10:17:58 AM#121

Welcome to mainstream MMORPG's, boring shit that are more like single player games.

If you need something new and worthy check out Darkfall Unholy Wars, the better Morrowind Online

karmath

Novice Member

11/29/12 10:19:44 AM#122
Originally posted by muffins89
Originally posted by spankybus
Originally posted by karmath

This thread seems a bit daft, tbh. OP, You realize, of course, that any MMO you've ever played that had multiple servers are like instances when compared to a Mega-server, right? Lets compare:

Traditional MMO: Multiple gameplay servers where the player Has to pick one to join, permenantly. Players can only play with people on the same server. Moving to another server is usually a premium service, costing real cash. Server merges usually resulting in player merges and forced name changes for some.

TESO Mega-Server concept: Probably multiple servers as far as hardware goes, but to the player one single server that everyone joins. Players can play with anyone who is playing the game, though i expect some communication is required between the parties to arrive in the same shard. Moving between the servers is now possible at-will, and appear to the player as selectable shards, and costs no real world cash to effect the change. A reduction to the requisite servers should be transparent to the player, with no forced name changes.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. This really is not that different that an MMO with multiple servers, except now you are not  separated from those players by a 20 buck character transfer fee.

Now, if the auto-shard assignment cannot be overridden, then it's daft. Auto should auto-sort guild members to the same shards, etc.

While your post is 100% true, your missing the main beef with it. The individual 'instances' can only hold a very low amount of people. If you played AoC when it had a decent population, which had a simmilar setup but no 'megaserver' you would know its a huge pain is the ass swapping back and forth between instances, not to mention the RP kids really dont like things that break immersion. This apparenty being a TES game, the RP crowd is agruably the majority or at least a very large percentage of the potential playerbase.

but we don't know how big each megaserver "pocket" will be.  could be each holds the same as a traditional server. 

The article link has slipped my mind but its been confirmed its only a hundred or two. 

UGG! Ok that would suck. Can someone find a source to co firm this number. 200 to 300 players per shard?

i've read and or watched every bit of info and have not seen or heard that referenced anywhere.  if that guy can provide a source i'd be happy to back that number up though.  but as far as i know that has not been confirmed. (or denied).

Pretty sure it here on mmorpg, one of the string of articles/previews. 

Effin_Rabbit

Apprentice Member

This Rabbit stinks!

11/29/12 10:20:03 AM#123
Every time I read something about ESO it looks more and more like an uninspired and uncreative knock-off of GW2, oh well as long as the single-player Elder Scrolls are still being produced I guess I dont really care. It would have been cool to see an ESO but I think part of the reason the Elder Scrolls series is so good is because of the modding community and with an mmo you cant have that.
  danwest58

Novice Member

11/29/12 10:21:06 AM#124
Originally posted by RandomDown

These conversations about how they "destroy community" strike me as so wrong. It seems more that these players want the game by design to force them to build a community than to be social human beings and seek out interaction. I just bought GW2 since Im bored waiting to head back to America and once a tittle over 30 someone invited me to do AC explore with them even though I wasn't quite high enough. Everyone in the group got along, friended each other adn we still group to this day. Well I'll be damned the solo centric GW2 game helped me make friends because someone took the time to reach out.

To the guy that mentioned sitting around a rabbit. Why do you think thats the better way to do it? Do you think everyone will politely wait their turn to tag the rabbit and get the credit? It would have to be first hit, because everyone getting credit and moving on wouldn't build community.

More often than not the statments I see seem to imply that because the system doesn't force you into interaction then you won't have any. And you aren't going to know all 2000 people on your server anyways. Its doubtful your "community" is larger than 150 and that implies a strong, cohesive community. 

All games have a system to form a community. A simple chat option gives you the ability to form a community. You just don't want to be the one to reach out and make a friend. If you're shy and you have trouble reaching out, then that is a reason that I can respect for wanting that kind of population clustering and forced interaction. But to say that a game with instancing doesn't give you the chance to form communities is just a blatant falsehood. 

In theory you are correct. In practise you are incredibly wrong. The majority of people in MMO's will seek the path of least resistance.

ie. If a person can quickly find a group with a dungeon/raid finder tool get teleported there instantly and acheive their goals without uttering a word they will never go through the hassle of actually interacting with others, making friends, forming a group, going to a desination on foot/mount and then acheiving their goals.

Those that would prefer the longer and harder way do try, but quickly get fed up of being behind the 8 ball and generally go allong with the easy route players.

This behaviour has been displayed very prominently in every single last clone.

I understand it is human nature to take the easiest route however there are opportunities to develop community in the games that people will not take advantage of, or outside of them to facilitate building a community in that game. Perhaps the people on this site that complain about that but are still intent on trying out a game form a guild so that they have that community before they even log in. With this kind of server that is entirely possible since you don't even have to worry about launch day coordination on learning server names and making sure everyone picks the correct server.

The issue I take is that people don't take advantage of it. I personally haven't had trouble making friends from groups I find through LFD in Rift when I played it for example. Maybe because I seek out the connection its easier to get. The fact of the matter is avenues exist and if you don't take advantage of them, even if they are hard that still isn't the developers fault that you won't do it. The path exists, and you have that choice.

I will admit that in the sense that people want to be forced into grouping and interaction since that would be the simplest and easiest way from their perspective instead of reaching out, I think its unfair to blame the game or developers for not pandering, but that is a business discussion and this is more about building a community and not the economic viability of this or that process.

Rift does have a good LFD tool.  The reason why is the community there.  Most of the time people will grab 2 or 3 friends then queue up.  This way its a fast queue to pull that 1 or 2 people into the group.  They will make a effort to talk to people.  Why?  Its simple the queue in Rift is like 30 to 60 minutes so there are no 5 or 10 minute queues and go.  The problem is 2 fold Developers started in WoW with a cross server LFD tool that offered more loot and faster ways of getting loot then it was if a person created a group with friends.  So discouraging the social aspects of MMOs.  The 2nd is humand nature to take the path of least resistance.  Because of that we are where we are.

muffins89

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 10:29:26 AM#125

This thread seems a bit daft, tbh. OP, You realize, of course, that any MMO you've ever played that had multiple servers are like instances when compared to a Mega-server, right? Lets compare:

Traditional MMO: Multiple gameplay servers where the player Has to pick one to join, permenantly. Players can only play with people on the same server. Moving to another server is usually a premium service, costing real cash. Server merges usually resulting in player merges and forced name changes for some.

TESO Mega-Server concept: Probably multiple servers as far as hardware goes, but to the player one single server that everyone joins. Players can play with anyone who is playing the game, though i expect some communication is required between the parties to arrive in the same shard. Moving between the servers is now possible at-will, and appear to the player as selectable shards, and costs no real world cash to effect the change. A reduction to the requisite servers should be transparent to the player, with no forced name changes.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. This really is not that different that an MMO with multiple servers, except now you are not  separated from those players by a 20 buck character transfer fee.

Now, if the auto-shard assignment cannot be overridden, then it's daft. Auto should auto-sort guild members to the same shards, etc.

While your post is 100% true, your missing the main beef with it. The individual 'instances' can only hold a very low amount of people. If you played AoC when it had a decent population, which had a simmilar setup but no 'megaserver' you would know its a huge pain is the ass swapping back and forth between instances, not to mention the RP kids really dont like things that break immersion. This apparenty being a TES game, the RP crowd is agruably the majority or at least a very large percentage of the potential playerbase.

but we don't know how big each megaserver "pocket" will be.  could be each holds the same as a traditional server. 

The article link has slipped my mind but its been confirmed its only a hundred or two. 

UGG! Ok that would suck. Can someone find a source to co firm this number. 200 to 300 players per shard?

i've read and or watched every bit of info and have not seen or heard that referenced anywhere.  if that guy can provide a source i'd be happy to back that number up though.  but as far as i know that has not been confirmed. (or denied).

Pretty sure it here on mmorpg, one of the string of articles/previews. 

you could be right.  im not gonna search for it.  i just don't know why a developer would announce a specific number while they are in alpha.  they have said that they are aiming for 200+ players on the screen during AvA fights.  but one battte is hardly a zone.

I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

RandomDown

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 10:32:36 AM#126
Originally posted by danwest58

Rift does have a good LFD tool.  The reason why is the community there.  Most of the time people will grab 2 or 3 friends then queue up.  This way its a fast queue to pull that 1 or 2 people into the group.  They will make a effort to talk to people.  Why?  Its simple the queue in Rift is like 30 to 60 minutes so there are no 5 or 10 minute queues and go.  The problem is 2 fold Developers started in WoW with a cross server LFD tool that offered more loot and faster ways of getting loot then it was if a person created a group with friends.  So discouraging the social aspects of MMOs.  The 2nd is humand nature to take the path of least resistance.  Because of that we are where we are.

But loot is only the be all end all of it if you let it be. Plus in a gear grindy game like WoW you're forced by the game mechanics into a group or raid group to get it done. And if you do that HM or whatever they call it or the raid well, why not stay in touch with those people because you know they are good and go at it again. There ya go, its a community. Maybe not a large one but it still exists. The fact that you don't want to be the first one to say " Hey we worked real well together. Maybe we should take a crack at another dungeon/raid again some other time." Sure some people will say no but eventually someone will say yes and there you go, you're starting to form a bond with someone and then they bring in friends or you meet more through some more random dungeons. Stop blaming the mechanics if you don't want to be the one to reach out. Yes i agree some games have fairly easy and quick dungeons that don't facilitate discussion well, but you can stil try. The fact it is easier not to is the persons fault. Like you said its human nature, you are aware of this. So take steps to avoid it by being the least shy one of your group. It tends to be easier for people to join a conversation then start one, so be brave and take the first step and stop saying its lazy development or poorly thought out.

gunmanvlad

Elite Member

11/29/12 10:41:23 AM#127

What I don't understand is how people expect 1.000.000 players (a "good" playerbase) to be cramped up in 1 server given that:

- at release 80% of players will be in the same area (1% of game)

- at "end-game" 80% of players will still be in the same area (1% of game)

Now in a decent map (heck, pick the BIGGEST high lvl map anywhere), I don't see how even 100.000 players can play without any instancing and without any lag. Yes, this MIGHT have worked in very old MMOs (with 1000-2000 players) or unpopular FTP MMOs, but in a premium title? Errr, impossible?

As for servers, I'm not much into Open-World PvP...but to be honest, lots of PvPers are ***** with no lives who spend 12-14h a day lvling and grinding gear just to kill low lvl players. I'm not gonna go into how sick those ppl are mentally, but I'd rather just have them somewhere else..."PvP server" is a good fence around them.

Varking

Novice Member

Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody the power, the other to crave it.

11/29/12 10:41:27 AM#128
Hey, do you guys remember that one time where not every MMO pleased every person? If you really want the developers to get your feedback, email them. If having full zones is an issue for you, go play some dying MMO. There are plenty of those.
  Fearum

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 10:48:12 AM#129
You don't understand it because your not reading about it from the source, your reading about it on forums like this one where everything is speculation.
  RandomDown

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 10:49:50 AM#130
Originally posted by Varking
Hey, do you guys remember that one time where not every MMO pleased every person? If you really want the developers to get your feedback, email them. If having full zones is an issue for you, go play some dying MMO. There are plenty of those.

Are you pro or con the idea of  the server structure they are aiming for? I'm going to guess you aren't given the "full zones an issue for you" comment.

In any case that would defeat almost the entire purpose of these sites or any game having a forum. And if the mega-server idea doesn't in fact please you (maybe not you specifically as I'm not sure but as a general you) or the 3 factions then you have no right to voice your opinion about it and to move on since that's what you're advocating.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 10:54:00 AM#131
Let's hope the make it like skyrim

Low level content and high level content next door to each other, rather than in a wow style linear go this zone then go that zone fashion.

As for Mr gunmans comments on pvpers - "this is not the game you are looking for", endgame is rvr, go play a pve game like wow.
  Fearum

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 10:57:27 AM#132
Originally posted by ShakyMo

Low level content and high level content next door to each other, rather than in a wow style linear go this zone then go that zone fashion.

As for Mr gunmans comments on pvpers - "this is not the game you are looking for", endgame is rvr, go play a pve game like wow.

You can get into the 3 faction PvP at level 10. They will have dungeons and such for PvE, plus Cryodiil will be huge and have PvE to do within it, just have to be aware that its is PvP also.

muffins89

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 10:59:13 AM#133
Originally posted by Fearum
Originally posted by ShakyMo

You can get into the 3 faction PvP at level 10.

edited for clarity. :)

karmath

Novice Member

11/29/12 11:08:59 AM#134
Originally posted by gunmanvlad

What I don't understand is how people expect 1.000.000 players (a "good" playerbase) to be cramped up in 1 server given that:

Now in a decent map (heck, pick the BIGGEST high lvl map anywhere), I don't see how even 100.000 players can play without any instancing and without any lag. Yes, this MIGHT have worked in very old MMOs (with 1000-2000 players) or unpopular FTP MMOs, but in a premium title? Errr, impossible?

As for servers, I'm not much into Open-World PvP...but to be honest, lots of PvPers are ***** with no lives who spend 12-14h a day lvling and grinding gear just to kill low lvl players. I'm not gonna go into how sick those ppl are mentally, but I'd rather just have them somewhere else..."PvP server" is a good fence around them.

Thats the whole dammed point entirely. The majority dont want yet another clone, let alone WoW in tamriel.

Heavily instanced themparks have been done do death.

muffins89

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 11:12:08 AM#135

Thats the whole dammed point entirely. The majority dont want yet another clone, let alone WoW in tamriel.

Heavily instanced themparks have been done do death.

i might give you "heavily instanced themepark".  but teso is not shaping up to be a WoW clone in any way.  and as for the heavily instanced part,  that has yet to be determined.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 11:14:01 AM#136
No, its shapping up to be a Aoc, swtor, tsw, gw2 clone in this regard

Instancing sucks.
  Fearum

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 11:17:37 AM#137
Lag sucks worse.
  Acidon

Elite Member

Permafried

11/29/12 11:18:36 AM#138

Admittedly, I did not wade through the entire thread this time before commenting.

I just wanted to make sure someone pointed out that the function of zone instances in TESO is to group like-minded players together.  You can choose to go somewhere that people are actively looking for groups, somewhere that is full of the "Lone Wolf" type of player, Exploration-minded adventurers, etc.

If you followed the information they have given, they explained that this sort of architecture will allow you to join a certain type of play-style depending on your mood at the time.

Personally I think this is a great idea and one that I have no seen done yet in any other MMORPG.  You are no longer lumped with people of 100 different play-styles.  You can enter an instance where there are others playing the way you feel like playing at the time.  This is a step forward if you ask me.

Playing: EverQuest, RiFT, Defiance, APB:Reloaded
Mourning: World of Darkness, Vanguard, City of Heroes

My Humble MMO Blog:
http://mmogasm.blogspot.com

Free, Clean & Safe Quality of Life Software:
http://www.acidonsolutions.com

Sovrath

Elite Member

11/29/12 11:19:03 AM#139

If they designed the game with differnet starter areas and designed it in such a way where "end game" *(which I don't believe in) could happen at different places it would make more sense.

In Lineage 2 there were several places where high level players could congregate in order to level. And of course it had differnet starter areas. However the changed that in the latest updates. I still think that if you made starter areas something more than "starter" but made it so these areas could and should be revistied by higher level players it would be a lot more interesting and viable.

Fearum

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 11:20:33 AM#140
Originally posted by Acidon

Admittedly, I did not wade through the entire thread this time before commenting.

I just wanted to make sure someone pointed out that the function of zone instances in TESO is to group like-minded players together.  You can choose to go somewhere that people are actively looking for groups, somewhere that is full of the "Lone Wolf" type of player, Exploration-minded adventurers, etc.

If you followed the information they have given, they explained that this sort of architecture will allow you to join a certain type of play-style depending on your mood at the time.

Personally I think this is a great idea and one that I have no seen done yet in any other MMORPG.  You are no longer lumped with people of 100 different play-styles.  You can enter an instance where there are others playing the way you feel like playing at the time.  This is a step forward if you ask me.

Facts, this thread is not about facts LOL. This is about complaining about stuff for the sake of complaining.

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Search