Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,852,082 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,686
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » You lost me at Hero Engine

11 Pages First « 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » Search
212 posts found
  Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

5/07/12 7:54:01 AM#141
Originally posted by jiveturkey12
Im sure an MMO can be made on the engine that is halfway decent, but the fact is thats never been shown by any of the multiutde of games thats been released on it

What constitutes "a multitude" to you?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Gdemami

Elite Member

5/07/12 7:59:12 AM#142

Originally posted by Sylvarii
Imo BioWare are not that great when it comes to engines,take the first witcher game,it was made using the BioWare engine but they made it run/look way better than any Bioware game up to that point.

Coz NW/2 was the only game ever released using the engine? :)

Terranah

Hard Core Member

5/07/12 10:11:09 AM#143

I think until we get a game using the hero engine that we love, we are going to be skeptical.  Right now the most noteable example of this engine is TOR, and based on it's limitations we assume the engine is no good.  But perhaps it's just that Bioware's mmo developers are no good and did not use the engine properly.

I don't really know if the engine is good or not because I'm not a computer programmer/developer.  What I can tell you is SWTOR is not the best advertisement for an engine.

Home15

Novice Member

5/07/12 10:25:07 AM#144

Already failed before it came out lol.

Hero Engine is terible, no mater how you look at it.

Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

5/07/12 10:32:16 AM#145
Originally posted by Terranah

I think until we get a game using the hero engine that we love, we are going to be skeptical.  Right now the most noteable example of this engine is TOR, and based on it's limitations we assume the engine is no good.  But perhaps it's just that Bioware's mmo developers are no good and did not use the engine properly.

I don't really know if the engine is good or not because I'm not a computer programmer/developer.  What I can tell you is SWTOR is not the best advertisement for an engine.

Many seem to not know that TOR's use of that engine was not really the hero engine any longer, they drastically overhauled it to suit their needs. Not to mention the engine they purchased was not the finsihed Hero engine but more or less a prototype build. I don't even believe BW had support from the company after it's purchase (a partnership).

At least here (zenimax) they've partnered with the creators, which means they could end up with the actual engine and it's full capability. Depending on whether they've modded their usage of it or not, which I have no idea.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

GoldenArrow

Advanced Member

5/07/12 12:11:17 PM#146

RvR + Hero Engine = Ilum!

SlyLoK

Elite Member

5/07/12 1:06:01 PM#147
Originally posted by Vorthanion
Originally posted by Shodanas

@OP & and the other doombringers swarming the TES forum since yesterday:

So, a TES MMO is announced and although we don't have anything solid about the game yet you come here and bitch because you don't like the engine it's build on. I don't know if TES online will be a good or bad game, with ZeniMax chances are 50 / 50, but i do know that it will be a much better place to be without the likes of you. 

Also, you should check the engine's website and try to comprehend it's many features before leaving your ignorant, spiteful and self-righteous comments here. 

Having played WAR and TOR, I am not impressed with the engine nor its capabilities.  You sound just as self righteous as the ones you disparage.  We have plenty of solid evidence of the features and direction of the game, thanks to scanned pages of the Infogamer article, the link even present on this site no less.  Maybe you need to catch up with the rest of us before you make yourself look really silly.

WAR didnt use the Hero Engine.. It used Gamebryo. Just like Rift..

biogerm

Advanced Member

5/07/12 1:12:23 PM#148
Originally posted by Distopia
Originally posted by Terranah

Many seem to not know that TOR's use of that engine was not really the hero engine any longer, they drastically overhauled it to suit their needs. Not to mention the engine they purchased was not the finsihed Hero engine but more or less a prototype build. I don't even believe BW had support from the company after it's purchase (a partnership).

At least here (zenimax) they've partnered with the creators, which means they could end up with the actual engine and it's full capability. Depending on whether they've modded their usage of it or not, which I have no idea.

the base segment of the code will remain the same.

the company i work for has bought over the years many smaller companies and integrated their own SW into our own,   

everything that relate to the GUI side etc is being dealt by us (the mother company ) but all the R&D and issues. bugs etc. is still being dealt by the original people from the company that was bought,   

since even if you change/. mix and match/ add features etc etc. the foundation of the code will still be the same,

it is what everything else is build on.  

most of the restrictions will remain the same.

i believe that they sat down, and the HERO guys said:

this is our engine, 

he can do A.B. and C.

you can modify it to also do D and E.

and we plan to have it do F and G.

now since the base code remain the same, the the HERO guys already sold the engine to biowere, it seems only logic to make future updates comfortable with existing code,

even if that code has been heavily modified.  

again this is all IMO, but with a pinch,

i work for a SW company, with take products from Linux and put them in windows.

and its not to take 1 product and add a unified GUI to it, its 10 different products, each is written in a different code, by different people,

and all have to work together (i am talking about AV,AM AS,FW,VPN, AC, web secured, ip security and more...)

actually i think it right on the lines of what the HERO guys posted or was quoted,

something alone the lines" they bought the engine from us, and wanted nothing else from us.   

both Bioware/EA, and Bethesda/Zanimax choose the easy way it seems. 

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

Atonrah

Apprentice Member

5/13/12 1:02:21 AM#149
Wait a second, wait a second...

TES is using an engine that was originally designed for an instanced based, small group, game called “Hero’s Journey”?

An engine that struggles with more than 30 players on screen because it was originally designed for instanced based 4-8 man group?

An engine that has such a hard time rendering dynamic shadows that day/night cycles can’t be implemented in its games?

An engine that literally CAN’T make ‘sandbox’ worlds because it’s original intent was instanced based; Thus making open world exploring impossible and the idea of controlled flying travel or “flying mounts” completely and utterly non-existent?

SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT...

After the massive success of open world-free to do as you please  Skyrim they’re going to make an Elder Scrolls MMO game with a “theme parked” feel; no sand box open world, no flying mount, small group instance based game that doesn’t even have day/night cycle?

....a medieval style game with not even so much as a day/night cycle? Really?

How many games does the Hero engine have to kill before people stop using it as a game engine? 
  Phry

Elite Member

5/13/12 1:25:02 AM#150

I don't know why they chose the hero engine, but all i can say is that there has not yet been a successful useage of it, at least one that could be used to positively advertise the thing, its a shame to write off a game while its still in development, but, it is what it is,  maybe they got the use of the hero engine at some bargain basement price or something.. can't think of any other reason to use it.

busdriver

Novice Member

5/13/12 1:55:29 AM#151
Originally posted by Darkcrystal

HAHAHAHA, you think Hero engine is bad, really??? When is the last time you worked with it!! This made me LOL, you think because the graphics was dumbed down by bioware thats thats what every game looks like, well guess what get your facts right before you comment because you look plain stupid.

SWTOR  did that on purpose because they wanted all there fans to be able to play there game something they said since day 1 of making the game, by the way I was an beta tester eariler on....  I been working with game engines for nealry 20 years and Hero engine is very good engine to work with , I find this to be funny!!

Some people have no idea whta there saying, priceless..

people love to bash the Unreal engine to but look 60% of the industry uses it, but thats a bad engine to people claim.. The issue is to many gamers claim certain engines are bad, because  some company use them poorly does not make it so, some companys have no idea how to use any engine properly...

But some are very good at using the engine properly... So to say this is funny stuff... I have used Hero, I have used Unreal, and I like them both sure they have issues they all do, but SWTOR is not a example of what Hero can do , so get your facts straight and try making a game with each engine then come back, and talk, until then, go back under that hole you came out of it.

You write like a 12 year old, I very much doubt you know anything about game engines or programming in general.

PyrateLV

Tipster

5/13/12 2:03:58 AM#152
Originally posted by Phry

I don't know why they chose the hero engine, but all i can say is that there has not yet been a successful useage of it, at least one that could be used to positively advertise the thing, its a shame to write off a game while its still in development, but, it is what it is,  maybe they got the use of the hero engine at some bargain basement price or something.. can't think of any other reason to use it.

I agree. Though The Repopulation is looking interesting.

Whats funny is that A&B is doing things with the Hero Engine that Zenimax says is too hard and cant be done right.

I really dont think that Zenimax is using the most updated version as they claim. Zenimax started TESO about the same time as SWTOR.

All indications (screenshots and Dev info) shows it looks and will play very much like SWTOR.

Its like in 2007, the Hero Engine conceived to 2 souless creatures and now in 2012/2013 they are coming to signal the Apocalypse of MMO's

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
Playing: Skyrim
Following: The Repopulation
I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

NagilumSadow

Novice Member

5/17/12 3:47:37 AM#153

Already, you can read between the lines and see they're using the same cash-cow, money grab mentallity that killed SW:TOR. 

Key terms to look for:

We want everyone to have a good 'gaming experiance' (which means it not a real mmo, nor single player). Trying to please everyone pleases no one.

"No Player Housing"

"PvP" (This should not be a 1st priority in TES)

etc,...

Another "cartoon" 'gaming experiance' is on its way.

http://wyrdgaming.blogspot.com/

Dissolution

Novice Member

Crowded elevators smell different to midgets.

5/20/12 8:58:18 AM#154

I do not know how TESO will pan out, but to say that the game will be a failure based solely on the use of The Hero Engine is akin to saying that because I do not like powdered donuts it was the doughs fault. Or that because at one restaurant their spaghetti made me vomit, that no restaurant can make good spaghetti because they are using the same noodles.

SWTOR's failures were based on developmental and creative ideas along with poor decision making as far as class balancing for PVP and improperly used instancing which destroyed any chance for an immersive environment, Among other things that did not have anything to do with the engine.

A good example given prior was Vanguard. I have come to enjoy that game immensely. However the use of the Unreal engine in Vanguard and its use in other games has had a dramatically different outcome. Even with the same engine, overtime and with attention they have been able to transfrom the game into a different gaming experience.

If TESO fails, I honestly doubt it will be based exclusively on the use of the Hero Engine but because of their vision of what to do with the TES IP in the MMO genre.

SWTOR could have been an entirely different game given a few different key creative decisions.

User Deleted
5/20/12 9:07:25 AM#155

The Hro Engine is just awful for mmos. TOR looked so bad with it. They must have got a lease discount or something to use the Hero Engine because if anything I personally like CryEngine 3 so much better.

CryEngine 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TtgW20IEm0 

Elikal

Spotlight Poster

“No path is darker then when your eyes are shut.” -Flemeth

5/21/12 4:43:47 AM#156
Originally posted by NagilumSadow

Already, you can read between the lines and see they're using the same cash-cow, money grab mentallity that killed SW:TOR. 

Key terms to look for:

We want everyone to have a good 'gaming experiance' (which means it not a real mmo, nor single player). Trying to please everyone pleases no one.

"No Player Housing"

"PvP" (This should not be a 1st priority in TES)

etc,...

Another "cartoon" 'gaming experiance' is on its way.

I tend to agree. It feels like the same key phrases indeed. So sad. I mean, we know little, so I gonna wait and see. But it feels so like SWTOR 2.0

A forum is a place where people can discuss about different opinions. So what I don't get is, how people react offended when they come to a forum and then find... well different opinions. If a different opinion offends you, what are you even doing here?

Pezant1973

Novice Member

5/26/12 1:28:52 AM#157

Not sure if this has been posted yet but it sounds like after reading this post there not using the Hero Engine for the ESO game.

http://n4g.com/news/1004584/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isnt-using-heroengine

PyrateLV

Tipster

5/26/12 1:53:59 AM#158
Originally posted by Pezant1973

Not sure if this has been posted yet but it sounds like after reading this post there not using the Hero Engine for the ESO game.

Anyone else notice the multitude of New Accounts created and replying for the fist time in a TESO related thread.

90% of them throwing nothing but positive and incredibley bias, comments concerning anything to do with the game?

Viral Marketers hard at work?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
Playing: Skyrim
Following: The Repopulation
I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Qallidexz

Novice Member

5/26/12 5:13:54 AM#159
Originally posted by PyrateLV
Originally posted by Pezant1973

Anyone else notice the multitude of New Accounts created and replying for the fist time in a TESO related thread.

90% of them throwing nothing but positive and incredibley bias, comments concerning anything to do with the game?

Viral Marketers hard at work?

You've spent a ton of time trying to market this game to fail, you're just not getting paid for it. (or are you?) People often create new accounts for a new game that was just announced. I did.

wartyxwt

Novice Member

5/26/12 5:20:46 AM#160

There are many reasons to not like what has ben presented so far about this game, but the engine seems off. We havn'tseen it in action properly yet.

11 Pages First « 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » Search