Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,825 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,175,567
Zenimax Online Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/04/14)  | Pub:Bethesda Softworks
Distribution: | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elder Scrolls Online Forum » General Discussion » The only reason people are hating on this game

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
126 posts found
  firefly2003

Advanced Member

I miss you Star Wars Galaxies...:(

5/06/12 1:14:42 AM#41
Originally posted by Mithrandolir
Originally posted by DannyGlover

Bethesda should publish ArcheAge in NA and Europe and just call it Elder Scrolls Online.

Anyone should publish Archeage in NA and Europe and call it anything they want. And soon, please :)

Hell, ArcheAge is more in spirit with The Elder Scrolls and its core features than TESO ever will be.

jiveturkey12

Advanced Member

5/06/12 1:15:55 AM#42
Originally posted by firefly2003
Originally posted by Mithrandolir

Bethesda should publish ArcheAge in NA and Europe and just call it Elder Scrolls Online.

Anyone should publish Archeage in NA and Europe and call it anything they want. And soon, please :)

Hell, ArcheAge is more in spirit with The Elder Scrolls and its core features than TESO ever will be.

Couldnt agree more! Its also very depressing, good thing I still have mah fan fictions!

Uhwop

Elite Member

5/06/12 1:18:03 AM#43
Originally posted by Sora2810

I'm not hating the game. I just lost interest. My expectations were set too high. I wanted a elder scrolls gameplay experience in MMO form.  

I can't really stand the combat system. I'm sorry, I did want the replicated gameplay experience. If I find a sword, I wanted to equip it, get better at using it, unlock better perks. Today I feel like using fire spells, equip it. The elder scrolls experience has always been immersive. Adreniline pumping first-person action. I can't get into seeing this as a hotbar game.

I care less about heroEngine being the engine. I care less about the graphics. I wanted the core elder scrolls experience with improved MMO features. I didn't want third-person ability game.

Honestly; I'm going to say this straight up and say they should buy Mortal Online and seriously improve it. Having a hotbar is okay; As long as you have clicks to swing.  

How could you possibly set your expectations to high?  The very first thing we heard was, "we're making an ES MMO for the fans". 

No fan ever asked for, or would expects to play anything other then an ES game. 

If the leaks are true, and the game actually does end up playign like wow; with phasing, heroic instances, levels, and classes, it's no ES fans expectations at fault.  It's because the devs really do think we're a bunch of braindead morons, who turn stupid the moment we start playing any game with a dedicated internet connection, and require the game to play like WoW "in order to understand it".  Because after playing the ES games for over a decade, I would have no idea how to play it if it was online. 

But, unfortunetly, we really are that stupid.  Because enough people who only care about the words elder scroll will buy and play the game, even if the only relation to ES is the world it's set in, and Altman will laugh all the way to the bank. 

User Deleted
5/06/12 1:18:16 AM#44

I'm gonna put a gentleman's bet out on the table right now. TESO, in its current state, will not launch. Thats right, I'm callin this thing vaporware. It will not see the light of day unless it gets a complete overhaul. Most likely, it will fizzle out and be on permanent backburner as is. Any takers?

Uhwop

Elite Member

5/06/12 1:26:00 AM#45

I'm gonna put a gentleman's bet out on the table right now. TESO, in its current state, will not launch. Thats right, I'm callin this thing vaporware. It will not see the light of day unless it gets a complete overhaul. Most likely, it will fizzle out and be on permanent backburner as is. Any takers?

I really hope the leak isn't true, but if it turns out, I REALLY hope that the fans will stand up and make sure that zenimax knows we will not play an ES mmo just because it says elder scrolls.

Then I can only hope that the millions of fans would stand by their convictions, and not buy the damn thing.  If the leak is true, then they're banking on fans buying the game just because it's got the words elder scrolls in it. 

There are hundreds of MMO's out there that already play like EQ/ WoW.  Zenimax needs us more then we need yet another themepark MMO.

yutty

Novice Member

5/06/12 1:29:58 AM#46

I'll put $10 on that bet. This game will be released buggy, lacking content, will do decent sales, have good reviews, make enough money for a profit, then shortly subs will decline, an increase in the haters of the game will happen. From then on they'll continue to milk as much as they can as ppl relalise its another flavor of the month game that they've played before. Ppl will forget about it and another dev will push out another mmo doing the same thing cuz they know ppl keep buying these clones & devs keep making money of them.

Vhaln

Novice Member

5/06/12 2:00:44 AM#47

The Hero Engine was just the icing on the fail cake to me.  Not even one of the main issues, so much as the info on instancing and classes.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

DixonHill

Novice Member

5/06/12 2:19:51 AM#48
Originally posted by Burntvet
Originally posted by Paradigm68

Here are some good reasons that have nothing to do with the hero engine.

This is from another article about ESO:

ZeniMax Online's Paul Sage says "it needs to be comfortable for people who are coming from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms

its combat centres around hotbars activating skills. Your attacks have cooldowns. In clear terms, that means no real-time combat. It is literally explained as using "World of Warcraft mechanics"

"keeping large areas inaccessible to save them for use as expansion content"

Only "some fraction" of the caves and other landmarks in the game are waiting completely unmarked and unexplored

You can't own a house because it's "too hard to implement in an MMO"

It even looks like just another fantasy MMO, losing much of the refined elegance of Bethesda's games in exchange for a simpler style that looks little like the past few games in the series.

QFT ^

Until developers rediscover "trying to make a good MMO" instead of repeatedly aiming for a "not-bad" or "familar" or "non-offensive" MMO, the same old crap will keep coming out over and over, only using different IPs.

There were MMOs before WoW, even if the slugheads that are making the decisions don't acknowledge that fact.

If people want to play WoW, they'll effin play WoW...

Yeah indeed.

I understand the need for developers/publishers to make money, i also get that devs want their games to be played by many people.

But i think developers need to make more specialized games, or "niche" games for  certain people again.

Everytime i read "it has to be familiar for people who played x or y, so that..." ...NO, WHY?!

They need to try to make a smaller amount of players "totally" happy, rather then "everyone"  just a bit. Look at Eve, it is a perfect example. Plus they make money with it, have a  super loyal fanbase, its been running for years and years. What more does one want?

MisterSr

Apprentice Member

Nothing surprises me these days, luckily I am getting into the industry to create my own surprises.

5/06/12 2:25:24 AM#49
Originally posted by Chrisbox

Is because its using hero engine, and people think that it will fail like swtor.  Im hardcore laughing at these threads from people who are already trying to judge this game after it just gets ANNOUNCED. 

You are wrong. Hero engine was only one of the many issues--the gameplay as far as I read is way off left center--just not Elder Scrolls. My qualms are rooted in the fact that this game is going to bastardize the series as a whole, no classical music score by Jeremy Soule, no classic Bethesda art direction, no freeform combat system (although I guess the revisions here are needed, TES has never been in RT; I.E. you can pause), and most of all Elder Scrolls has always been about one persons impact on the world around them--how do they plan to impliment your effects on the world? Yes--the graphics look awful, YES that was the initial reason I lost interest--but no that is no that is not the only reason I continue to accrue negative interest for this game. This game is not Elder Scrolls--it could as easily have been called Chronicles of Narnia Online and been just as different from that IP as this is from TES. There's nothing distinctly elder scrolls about this except for the fact that the game supposedly takes place in Tamriel. I just can't support a game that seems so utterly and awfully composed. This has been a game series that honestly has developed me as a person and an individual--the fact that the IP was handed so carelessly to someone who obviously is going to do the series such an injustice just seems . . . annoying. 

Classicstar

Advanced Member

5/06/12 2:26:32 AM#50

Is because its using hero engine, and people think that it will fail like swtor.  Im hardcore laughing at these threads from people who are already trying to judge this game after it just gets ANNOUNCED. 

And you only react on what you have read here on forum about hatred of hero engine lol.

The true Elder Scroll fan hate this project becouse how it looks-no first person combat and engine not realy suited for huge open world without instance, plus alot more so your wrong about only hero engine.

Zenimax think lets make mmo in 2013 a new genration of gamers we target giving them a WoW/EQ like mmo with glue a Elder Scroll name on it and we be rich beyond our dreams.

MB:MSI Z97XPOWER AC
CPU:Intell Icore7 4790k
GPU:MSI 2x AMD 290X
MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
PSU:Corsair AX1200i

xenogias

Advanced Member

5/06/12 2:32:41 AM#51

I dont care about it using the hero engine. I'm hating on it because its anything but a TES game except for the lore. And yes, a person can judge that based on what little info there is. Since when is a TES game a game based on classes and turnbased hotbar combat? Oh wait, they arent.

angriel

Novice Member

5/06/12 2:40:46 AM#52

Hero Engine is only a (sadly sour) icing on the cake.

The problem is: they're trying to clone WoW. AGAIN. Every time this happens guys at Blizzard just rofl and open another champagne bottle. Because you can't beat WoW with a WoW-wanna-be. You can't win with something that is "inspired by". You only win with something that INSPIRES.

And that's why many people here are disappointed with TESO announcment. It's just another generic fantasy mmo. Like bread from TESCO. And that's why so many people here are praising GW2 - because they actually tried to do something different and they succeeded.   

Classicstar

Advanced Member

5/06/12 2:57:51 AM#53

Elder Scroll could have been biggest mmo ever if they just stick to Skyrim concept and the whole Elder Scroll game series and gameplay with mmo elements. But no as with allmost all somehow becomming stupid over time the publishers and devs sinds 2004 they wanne copy WoW and so TESO is a fail before it even started.

Ive watched gamebreaker.TV and i amazed at how easy so called Elder Scroll fans in this case the Gamebreakertv crue wanne play this game dispite the fact they agree that game is not true to elder scroll, but i think they wanne keep everybody on friendly bases so they don't dare to be honest and critizise this game becouse affraid losing members.

Im realy glad at least ive found a new game to follow and play thats not even close to WoW concept and thats GW2 have to remove myself from TES im affraid unless they keep continuing the solo series as it was but im not so convince that it survive this mmo onslaught money grabbing pile of...

Betrayal by Bethesda bah:(

MB:MSI Z97XPOWER AC
CPU:Intell Icore7 4790k
GPU:MSI 2x AMD 290X
MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
PSU:Corsair AX1200i

UtukuMoon

Apprentice Member

5/06/12 5:40:22 AM#54
Originally posted by MyBoot

I say sit back and wait for more info before we judge,

This/\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ymgFyzbDo

User Deleted
5/06/12 5:42:54 AM#55
Originally posted by Sylvarii
Originally posted by MyBoot

I say sit back and wait for more info before we judge,

This/\

It's really just a pre-emptive hating. Many people were disappointed by SWTOR and now they want to send a message to the devs before (they hope) it's too late.

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

5/06/12 6:11:10 AM#56

It is not so long ago that you were loving SWTOR, Hero engine and all, "Illum is a blast" I believe. Whose "hardcore laughing" now.
  pmaura

Apprentice Member

5/06/12 6:13:10 AM#57

People hate this game becuase every feature in it is not what TES is about and not why its popular.

IAmMMO

Advanced Member

5/06/12 6:25:10 AM#58
Originally posted by Uhwop
Originally posted by Vorthanion
Originally posted by Ekaros

Nah, the real reason is once again taking a big name and making money grab which isn't atleast partialy faitfull to that name.  Just the typical industry way of doing things...

Nah, people are labeling it as a money grab becuase the game isn't being targeted at them.  Anytime a game IP doesn't meet the demanding expectation of the purists, it's a money grab.  That comes up almost every single time this happens.

If you announce you're making the ES mmo that the FANS have always wanted, and it turns out that that game will play just like WoW, then you didn't make an ES mmo for the fans.  You made an MMO for WoW fans, or in this case DAoC/ WoW fans.

If everything is true, then yes, i would have to agree that this looks very much like someone desided they would try and get thier slice of the pie, and they figured they could just use the ES brand because they know that some people will buy it just because it says ES in the name.

Case in point.  The people who seem to think that an ES game that plays like WoW is an MMO for ES fans. 

So what are you?  An ES fan, or just someone that wants an ES mmo and doesn't care that it's just another version of WoW, with a little DAoC thrown in?  Because I can tell you that as an ES fan myself, I will not give them money for an ES game that doesn't play anything like an ES game.

An ES mmo that plays like WoW goes against everything that Weaver intended for the franshise.

No ES fan ever asked them to make an ES mmo that played like WoW.  We asked for Morrowind with online play.

PS: Mortal online looks more like an ES game then the screens that GI posted.  To say that you can't have that style of art in an MMO is yet more BS.  Seems like a lot of people are taking the comments that were made in the leak about things not being possible and harping them to justify that they only want the name ES attached to an MMO, and don't care if it the game ends up nothing like any ES game. 

Everything some of you keep saying isn't possible has already been done in other MMO's.  Meridian 59 did FPS mechanics 17 years ago as the first MMO ever made, and UO did freeform character progression shortly after it.  What reality are some of you living in?

Yup I agree it's BS to claim they can't do a ES game mechanics and living world in a MMO with today tech. This isn't  2005, people have on average 10mb connections, a lot have 20mb or 50mb connections as gamers. Server tech has jumped in leaps and bounds in the last decade, not to mention home desktop power gamers have now is crazy.

It seems they licensed the same crap engine as TOR instead of going to a company like SOE and getting Forgelight and starting from scratch to make a proper ES MMO. Forgelight could create a living ES world in a MMO.  The ES MMO team need to go spend a day with the SOE planetside 2 dev team for a day, then come back and say a true ES MMO is not possible.

tazarconan

Advanced Member

5/06/12 6:34:12 AM#59

It is apparently obvious that in their meeting in order to decide how a tes online should be like , they decided to go with a usual like other mmorpg's gameplay style like wow,l2,eq2,swotr etc etc, simply cause they dont have the knowledge, capability to create a skyrim lagfree online game with skyrim's quality . There is a reason that Darkfall online looked so bad in moves,attacks, animations actually it looked more like a morrorwind pre-beta than Oblivion.

The real question is if they should try to create an mmorpg with Morrorwind mechanisms in it. That would be intresting but then again u read on various forums that only some players ,a minority would like that. The majority prefers more fluid style ,more arcade combat styles like oblivion or skyrim than Morrorwind's combat style attack and rolls dices to define hit/miss.

In any case i would be up to play a morrorwind style or skyrim style cause i like them both.

As to what it appears they r heading? I dont know we have to wait and see what it will be like. Its too early to judge we dont know jackshit what they r creating yet,and how it plays.

stragen001

Apprentice Member

Mr Flibble is VERY cross

5/06/12 6:47:37 AM#60

No, its because TES series has always been about freedom, skill based levelling and a sandboxy style, whereas with The Elder Scrolls Online, they are just trying to make another WoW clone to cash in on the IP

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search