Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | EverQuest Next | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,900 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,313,063
ArenaNet | Official Site
CORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/26/05)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$18.65 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars Forum » Lion's Arch (General) » New to Guild Wars? Considering playing it? Start here!

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
72 posts found
  bornaa

Novice Member

11/16/07 4:01:49 AM#41

i wanted to try guild wars today, downloaded the trial thinkin you can actualy TRY the trial, but noo.. they are gaying on the trials so if you wanna actually try the game you have to be the lucky one to get the limiten # key from one of the elite sites...so i just deleted it. nice marketing btw. i might even have liked the game but since i cant try it i didnt bother...

endlesone

Novice Member

"I don't need to get a life, I'm a Gamer i have lots of lives"

11/16/07 7:36:23 AM#42

i have an access key  i will just pm it to you. so check your messages

Deviant Art: http://greyl.deviantart.com
Blog: http://endlesone.wordpress.com
Guild Wars Guild http://legionsaguila.org/forums

Mariner-80

Advanced Member

11/27/07 10:54:43 AM#43

I've noticed that a number of game stores (EB Games, Gamestop, etc.) sell a GW trial CD for a couple of bucks. (It lasts 14 days, I think.) It gives people a chance to try out all three campaigns before they buy any one of them. These CDs might even be available (at Amazon maybe?), but I haven't checked.

Just thought I'd mention this fyi, if anyone is interested in trying out GW at times ArenaNet are not offering a free trial.

Bullnich

Novice Member

Kiss my ass.

12/15/07 6:53:59 PM#44

I am thinking about getting Guild Wars Faction for Christmas. Do you suggest I get it. Or do you suggest I get Guild Wars Nightfall?

endlesone

Novice Member

12/16/07 2:30:29 PM#45
Originally posted by Bullnich

I am thinking about getting Guild Wars Faction for Christmas. Do you suggest I get it. Or do you suggest I get Guild Wars Nightfall?

If you prefer PVP Then Factions is it but if you wanted PvE content the most it would be Nf for you but imho  i'll buy both if i were you

Nadia

Tipster

1/07/08 10:31:36 AM#46

Fileplanet is offering Trial keys

www.fileplanet.com/promotions/guildwars/prophecies/

Philodox

Novice Member

1/18/08 6:24:48 PM#47

I read over the main post, thank you for all the very helpful information.

A few questions I'd like to ask:

Does GW support Duo-Team, Two players that always party together, PvE? What is the average party size?  Can two players + hired Hench men complete most or all of the in game PvE content?  Could it also be done without the Hench men?

The reason for my asking is my past experience with MMOs includes WoW, Earth and Beyond, and FFXI.  I'm frankly over the forced party system.  WoW had plenty of Solo content but end game was either PVP which I enjoyed or Raiding, which I also enjoyed but no longer have the time for it.  FFXI was sadly party all the way or don't bother.  So that being said, will GW fit the bill?  Can I play with my partner and have an enjoyable experience?

Another side note that I'd had a little trouble finding information on, what are the in-game movement controls like?  Key board with the ASDW or is it more mouse centric? Either is fine, but I do lean more towards the keyboard. Might have something to do with 2 1/2 years of playing a Healer in WoW...

Thank you in advance.

~Philodox

Secrom

Defender of Ascalon

OP  1/20/08 10:49:07 PM#48
Originally posted by Philodox

I read over the main post, thank you for all the very helpful information.

A few questions I'd like to ask:

Does GW support Duo-Team, Two players that always party together, PvE? What is the average party size?  Can two players + hired Hench men complete most or all of the in game PvE content?  Could it also be done without the Hench men?

The reason for my asking is my past experience with MMOs includes WoW, Earth and Beyond, and FFXI.  I'm frankly over the forced party system.  WoW had plenty of Solo content but end game was either PVP which I enjoyed or Raiding, which I also enjoyed but no longer have the time for it.  FFXI was sadly party all the way or don't bother.  So that being said, will GW fit the bill?  Can I play with my partner and have an enjoyable experience?

Another side note that I'd had a little trouble finding information on, what are the in-game movement controls like?  Key board with the ASDW or is it more mouse centric? Either is fine, but I do lean more towards the keyboard. Might have something to do with 2 1/2 years of playing a Healer in WoW...

Thank you in advance.

~Philodox

Party size depends on the zone you are in, up to 8 players/characters. If by "duo team" you mean only 2 players (i.e. a group of 2/8 and nothing else), it can be achieved, however in some very specific conditions (areas and character builds), while leveling up/doing missions/etc it is however not advised most of the time. It is perfectly possible to complete the game relying solely on henchmen, once you get the hang of the AI, meaning all but the toughest areas (such as elite missions and most dungeons in GW:EN).
GW is team-based, simple as that.
In-game controls currently support both AWSD/keyboard shortcuts and point-and-click (though the latter will be scratched entirely in GW2).
Hope it clarifies a bit :)
  Philodox

Novice Member

1/22/08 11:23:19 AM#49

Thank you for the reply.

My partner and I installed the GW Demo this weekend and gave Nightfall a try.

It was a lot of fun, running around with the two of us plus our two starter Heros. He created a Paragon and I started a Monk, I love the healing in this game.  For the fact that I'm playing the back line healer it is still very fast paced.   Still have a lot to learn about the details of the game, but that's what the Wiki's are for.  Now that I have a better basic understanding of the game.

~Philodox

Par-Salian

Novice Member

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

4/25/08 8:22:30 PM#50

Originally posted by Philodox

Thank you for the reply.

My partner and I installed the GW Demo this weekend and gave Nightfall a try.

It was a lot of fun, running around with the two of us plus our two starter Heros. He created a Paragon and I started a Monk, I love the healing in this game.  For the fact that I'm playing the back line healer it is still very fast paced.   Still have a lot to learn about the details of the game, but that's what the Wiki's are for.  Now that I have a better basic understanding of the game.

~Philodox

I love my monk.  It's great being the one who keeps the team alive...unless they get wiped (ha ha). 

ShrikeValeo

Novice Member

Another random hoping to redefine the world..

4/28/08 6:21:19 AM#51

Heh...I've decided to reinstall GW....not played it in a cpl months.

Monking ftw. I like my monk.....but it can get challenging. Just a heads up that as you progress, you begin to see how mob targetting works. Monsters target people taking into account their Armor Level (AL) and health. Ultimately, your monk stands a high chance of being targetted if you get too close, and you reeeaaaaly don't want to die

Also, be sure to follow the story line and missions. You reach places you can get more skills, better armour, and, of course, missions = exp!

I'd say paragons rock too......but I'm having difficulty making mine effective atm =/ alas....nerfing ftl

lethalshadow Xfire Miniprofile
  Godliest

Defender of Ascalon

"There''s a time and a place for everything, and it''s called college." - Chef

4/28/08 8:59:02 AM#52

Originally posted by LethalShadow
Heh...I've decided to reinstall GW....not played it in a cpl months.
Monking ftw. I like my monk.....but it can get challenging. Just a heads up that as you progress, you begin to see how mob targetting works. Monsters target people taking into account their Armor Level (AL) and health. Ultimately, your monk stands a high chance of being targetted if you get too close, and you reeeaaaaly don't want to die
Also, be sure to follow the story line and missions. You reach places you can get more skills, better armour, and, of course, missions = exp!
I'd say paragons rock too......but I'm having difficulty making mine effective atm =/ alas....nerfing ftl

Problems making your paragon effective? That problem was solved long ago, once and for all. See no further because here is the Imbagon! with it your team will (almost) never die, regardless of if you're playing in Hard More or Normal Mode. Probably one of the best and most effective builds ever made.

ShrikeValeo

Novice Member

Another random hoping to redefine the world..

4/28/08 9:17:12 AM#53

Lol. atm, i actually use something similar. With the right team, They're on Fire can make it superb.....but I can't help but feel a ranged tank with a shield has more uses than support......not counting PvP. Plus that cracked armor for Aggressive Refrain was an insult

lethalshadow Xfire Miniprofile
  Godliest

Defender of Ascalon

4/29/08 1:38:14 PM#54

Originally posted by LethalShadow
Lol. atm, i actually use something similar. With the right team, They're on Fire can make it superb.....but I can't help but feel a ranged tank with a shield has more uses than support......not counting PvP. Plus that cracked armor for Aggressive Refrain was an insult

And now I'm strafing off into the lovely lands of off-topic again... Paragons were made for one thing - in PvE - and one thing only; to support your team through abusing various shouts and chants and of all the different attempts to do so the Imbagon is the by far best one. Aggressive Refrain didn't really affect Paragons since these should stick to the back of the team and not be tanking anyway.

yoni333

Novice Member

5/13/08 4:47:07 AM#55

very good job but can you explain why gw is not wow just without monthly pay?

i didnt understood what the big difrenet?

the best freeware games download
always updated
http://yonigames.blogspot.com/

brownspank

Novice Member

5/13/08 4:56:11 AM#56

Originally posted by yoni333

Players who have experienced GW can keep telling you in different ways how it's different from WoW, but while there is that urge to compare it to WoW, non-GW players won't quite get it. You'll have to actually start playing to see the difference.

Godliest

Defender of Ascalon

5/13/08 6:26:46 AM#57

There are a large amount of both major and minor differences between the two games. For instance: WoW has pretty much no tactical aspects at all while GW heavily depends on a extremely tactical gameplay. Guild Wars requires much more theorycrafting (i.e. coming up with what skills fit together and where such combinations could be used) while you in WoW just smash button 1 and 2 and win. The gear in GW is minor while it in WoW is one of the major parts of the game. GW focuses on PvP while WoW is more of a PvE game. WoW is a big farmfest while GW isn't. To name a few differences.

yoni333

Novice Member

5/14/08 2:47:48 AM#58

thx alot

so you say that if i heva less good gear then my enemy i still can win him with good tactic?

the best freeware games download
always updated
http://yonigames.blogspot.com/

endlesone

Novice Member

5/14/08 6:41:30 AM#59

thx alot

so you say that if i heva less good gear then my enemy i still can win him with good tactic?

in a word yes you can as long as you have a well thought out skill combination and tactics GW is more skill-based (how good you play) while WoW is more gear/item/equip-based (how long you played and if you have "epic" equips)

Godliest

Defender of Ascalon

5/14/08 10:36:13 AM#60

thx alot

The answer to the question is yes; although the question in itself proves that you haven't played the game. In all cases when you will be fighting in PvP you will have access to max armor. In PvE the enemies armor, health and damage varies and will in Hard Mode extend yours, but even then you can by using good builds and tactics win over them.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search