Trending Games | Pirate101 | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,899,932 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,857
ArenaNet | Official Site
CORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/26/05)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$18.65 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars Forum » Lion's Arch (General) » New to Guild Wars? Considering playing it? Start here!

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
72 posts found
  Lonesamurai1

Novice Member

6/20/07 2:38:02 AM#21
personally i prefer the new one as it has all the high res specially done pics by the same person (can't remember her name), however, sometimes i do find myself having to jump back to the old one for Elite skill locations or a mission map that isn't on the official wiki yet...  but not often now     

snograt

Novice Member

6/20/07 5:43:59 AM#22
That will be Emily Diehl  - ANet's design liaison.

The only reason I use the old wiki nowadays is because I'm behind restrictive filters at work so by using the URL secretgw.gamewikis.org I can use it from anywhere.

Now the official wiki is integrated in-game (try, for example, entering /wiki Thunderhead Keep in the chat window) - there's no reason NOT to use it :)
snograt Xfire Miniprofile
  kegboyii

Novice Member

Heir Mullen, Guild Wars monk!

6/20/07 9:52:52 AM#23
I agree, i like the official wiki the most. But i do like going to look up builds on the old one.

Life is 10% what happens and 90% how you react to it!

hisero13

Novice Member

7/08/07 7:56:33 PM#24

Excellent info Secrom.  I just found this site and look forward to talking to everybody.

dertomok

Apprentice Member

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin "
-William Shakespeare ,
Troilus and Cressida

7/08/07 8:54:06 PM#25
Very good information guys , it will realy help too players ^^ . And about wiki , i use official wiki right now , I had used the old one , but when I checked this i decided that , this site is the best for me ^^ .

First you must give , only than you can take .

dertomok

Apprentice Member

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin "
-William Shakespeare ,
Troilus and Cressida

7/08/07 9:04:23 PM#26
Ohh and about wiki more . I use old wiki for elite capturing and mission map too , but very rare . I capture skills that i need for build ( expect primary proffesion , i capture all primary profesion skills ^^ ) and there isn't a lot of Elite skills i need , so i go very rare to the old wiki .

First you must give , only than you can take .

snograt

Novice Member

7/09/07 2:31:29 PM#27

Originally posted by kegboyii
I agree, i like the official wiki the most. But i do like going to look up builds on the old one.
Old info now, but the old wiki no longer hosts builds. Most of these can now be found on another offshoot wiki at:

www.pvxwiki.com

8hammer8

Novice Member

"It''s a simple matter of weight ratio, a 5 ounce swallow can''t carry a 1 pound coconut!"

7/09/07 6:29:11 PM#28
Originally posted by snograt

Originally posted by kegboyii
Old info now, but the old wiki no longer hosts builds. Most of these can now be found on another offshoot wiki at:

www.pvxwiki.com

There is a link at the old wiki directly to pvxwiki.  I use the old wiki mostly because it is what I have saved in my favorites currently.  I am to lazy.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

kegboyii

Novice Member

Heir Mullen, Guild Wars monk!

7/10/07 10:54:23 PM#29

Found pvxwiki not too long ago. It's nice to find working builds for things i find useful to do (Droknars Run). 

Life is 10% what happens and 90% how you react to it!

hisero13

Novice Member

7/28/07 11:20:34 AM#30

Your post is very helpful.  Thanks for all of the hard work you obviously put into it.

ZeroGuildWar

Novice Member

8/05/07 12:53:52 PM#31

Nice thread, but I have just one question. Do you think that Guild Wars 2 will be put on Windows Vista?

snograt

Novice Member

8/05/07 12:58:38 PM#32

Yes, without a doubt. GW2 will be optimised for Vista but, unlike certain other games being released, it will not require it!

So don't worry if you are still running XP - it will work just fine.

snograt

Novice Member

8/07/07 1:15:25 PM#33

Originally posted by Tolwynn

Pent 4 is two cpu's?

i thought i was based on HT tech and only single?

Pent D was two?

wow..too much guiness

Too much Guinness indeed!
Who claimed P4 was dual core??

[/quote]

8hammer8

Novice Member

"It''s a simple matter of weight ratio, a 5 ounce swallow can''t carry a 1 pound coconut!"

8/22/07 7:26:38 PM#34

With PvP there is a learning curve and it can be pretty steep just for the fact that there is a lot going on.  I definately see how it would be easy for someone to get very frustrated with it.  That is one of the beauties of GW though, the fact that you can try thousands of different builds against many types of mobs in PvE and see how they work with eachother.  The PvE section is basically a huge training ground for the main focus of the game with is competitve online play.

Here is my basic thoughts on PvP areas:

Random Arena (aka RA) - Random player groupings

PROs: Quick entry into matchs (avg 15-45 seconds) / good place to test builds / matchs usually last 1-5 minutes / Can be fun place to kill time / Primary learning grounds for most players

CONs: Leavers / 80% Immaturity in zone and in fight (including plenty of "I PWNed U" "U Noob U Suxxor" types) / If experienced then all the new players, if a new player all the elitest wanna-be's (can't please all the people...)

Team Arena (aka TA) - Player selected groupings

PROs:  Control of who you fight with / easier to communite if on Vent or Team Speak / Great place to test GvG concepts / Usually more experienced players overall.

CONs:  Can be difficult to get into a group if you do not have or can not play their requested class/build / Some players get more frustrated here because they thing their build is better than it is.

Alliance Battle (aka AB) - Player selected group of 4 with two other random player selected groups of 4 (12 total players)

PROs: Mass amounts of kills / Pretty long matches at 7-12 minutes avg / Fun going in with a group of guildies on Vent or TS / Kurzich or Luxxon Faction towards titles / People that come across the entire map to come after you specifically just to get owned again

CONs: Leavers / Leetchs (get into a group then dont fight or participate just taking the amount of faction given at the end) / Frustration from many people not knowing how to be effective in the fight (aka capping and not fighting the mob) / Wait times can take 2-10 minuntes depending on time and map (a lot better than it used to be though).

Guild vs Guild (aka GvG) - Player selected group of 8

PROs:  Can increase your guild's rank and play better and better competition (tournament ladder) / You can get very specific builds and plans of attack and defense / Most players are respectful before and after the fight (you know the GL & GG exchanges)

CONs:  Teams that go in without a plan or without a build usually get destroyed / Frustration with the lack of skills others bring to the group (or don't bring as the case may be) / Inexperience shows very quickly / Many teams require specific builds not allowing creativity, so you end up seeing the same 5-6 group builds repeatedly

I dont do Heros Accent or Hero Battle (then again I don't know anyone who enjoys Hero Battles personally), if someone else would care to put up some PROs and CONs on those or add your thoughts or rebuke on what I mentioned that would be cool.

*edited for spacing*

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

Elzaros

Novice Member

8/27/07 9:41:35 PM#35

Thanks mate, you helped a lot in my decision to play.

Extremely helpful were the computer requirements. Without that i might have just dismissed it as a game that my computer could not cope with.

Secrom

Defender of Ascalon

OP  9/08/07 7:48:59 PM#36
Thanks for the feedback and contributions, glad to see some find it useful :D
  nomadian

Novice Member

9/14/07 4:06:38 PM#37

any way for a European to try out any of the expansions?

snograt

Novice Member

9/14/07 4:52:22 PM#38

The major games mags (PC Gamer, PC Zone, PC Format) are occasionally allowed to release trial keys - keep your eye on them :)

Godliest

Defender of Ascalon

"There''s a time and a place for everything, and it''s called college." - Chef

9/23/07 9:59:09 AM#39

Originally posted by 8hammer8
With PvP there is a learning curve and it can be pretty steep just for the fact that there is a lot going on. I definately see how it would be easy for someone to get very frustrated with it. That is one of the beauties of GW though, the fact that you can try thousands of different builds against many types of mobs in PvE and see how they work with eachother. The PvE section is basically a huge training ground for the main focus of the game with is competitve online play.

Here is my basic thoughts on PvP areas:

Random Arena (aka RA) - Random player groupings
PROs: Quick entry into matchs (avg 15-45 seconds) / good place to test builds / matchs usually last 1-5 minutes / Can be fun place to kill time / Primary learning grounds for most players
CONs: Leavers / 80% Immaturity in zone and in fight (including plenty of "I PWNed U" "U Noob U Suxxor" types) / If experienced then all the new players, if a new player all the elitest wanna-be's (can't please all the people...). Usually containing a lot of newbs whom just stole a build off PvXWiki|.

Team Arena (aka TA) - Player selected groupings
PROs: Control of who you fight with / easier to communite if on Vent or Team Speak / Great place to test GvG concepts / Usually more experienced players overall.
CONs: Can be difficult to get into a group if you do not have or can not play their requested class/build / Some players get more frustrated here because they thing their build is better than it is.

Alliance Battle (aka AB) - Player selected group of 4 with two other random player selected groups of 4 (12 total players)
PROs: Mass amounts of kills / Pretty long matches at 7-12 minutes avg / Fun going in with a group of guildies on Vent or TS / Kurzich or Luxxon Faction towards titles / People that come across the entire map to come after you specifically just to get owned again
CONs: Leavers / Leetchs (get into a group then dont fight or participate just taking the amount of faction given at the end) / Frustration from many people not knowing how to be effective in the fight (aka capping and not fighting the mob) / Wait times can take 2-10 minuntes depending on time and map (a lot better than it used to be though).

Guild vs Guild (aka GvG) - Player selected group of 8
PROs: Can increase your guild's rank and play better and better competition (tournament ladder) / You can get very specific builds and plans of attack and defense / Most players are respectful before and after the fight (you know the GL & GG exchanges)
CONs: Teams that go in without a plan or without a build usually get destroyed / Frustration with the lack of skills others bring to the group (or don't bring as the case may be) / Inexperience shows very quickly / Many teams require specific builds not allowing creativity, so you end up seeing the same 5-6 group builds repeatedly

I dont do Heros Accent or Hero Battle (then again I don't know anyone who enjoys Hero Battles personally), if someone else would care to put up some PROs and CONs on those or add your thoughts or rebuke on what I mentioned that would be cool.
*edited for spacing*

I just added that extra point. The Shadow Prison 'Sin and many overused bars are extremely common in RA. Otherwise I've not been outside RA, but I will soon.

8hammer8

Novice Member

9/24/07 10:06:32 AM#40

Godliest, while I agree with you in principle...that you see the same 3 sin builds and eley builds and nec/mes mes/nec builds right now...

A) You put up the link to the site in your link hence making it easier for people to use the skill bars that are there, so you should expect to see a couple more there now

B) It is not stealing if they are being put up for people to see and use.  I could have sworn you said you put builds up there under the same name.

These sites really cut down the creativity in people, with the same exception of those that make up counters to the builds, but then those get posted and you are right back where you started.  A vicious circle of laziness.

If I had a plat for every dancing dagger sin I have seen in RA, I would be a rich man.

RA is not for the feint-of-heart or those with high blood pressure. I have been playing in RA for 3 days straight now with breaks to help guildies and what not.  I have earned 1 glad point each day with about 5-7 other 7-9 win teams that lost.  The key is not sinking down to the level of some of the idots there and laughing off all the leavers.  I seriously just soloed an RA match last night, 7 people left and I got a flawless victory out of it.  If I am the only one left, I refuse to leave and I will just dance until they come get me.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search