Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Heroes of the Storm

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,643,501 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,077,213
Pirate101 (P101)
KingsIsle Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 10/08/12)  | Pub:KingsIsle Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Pirate101 Forum » General Discussion » Pirate101 Free to Play Changes

8 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  3/20/13 7:00:26 PM#1

Free-to-Play Changes

"New players will encounter Premium Areas earlier than previously. However, both of the following new Premium Areas will be given to all accounts that have existing characters created before these updates are released to the live game:

Prologue: Part 1—the first Premium Area will be encountered during the Quest "A Good Ship?" after talking to Dockmaster Dan.

Prologue: Part 2—the second Premium Area will be encountered during the Quest "To Jonah Town" just before players dock to Jonah Town."

Yup that's right KingsIsle is cutting on free to play areas. Instead of making Pirate101 actually free to play, KingsIsle is doing the opposite.

KingsIsle also falsely advertises Pirate101 as a free to play MMO. Is quite interesting how greedy a company can become. Is no wonder why people are leaving their games. Good luck with their business model.

C_Glass

Novice Member

3/28/13 10:15:00 AM#2

After having subbed for a month since the game went f2p, I went back to the website just to see what updates they've done since launch...

I saw an item cosmetic appearance feature, which was good..then I saw that it costed crowns... PER ITEM!!! YIKES! bad devs...very, very bad devs. You don't do that, you make it cost crowns to access the feature once and forever, but not continously per item...In some games like LOTRO, cometic slots are totally free.

Seems like the sentiment of kingsIsle being horribly greedy will continue on. Kingsisle, you have a decent game, don't continue to ruin it with greed...sheesh, atleast make it per-item slot, not continously per-item throughout the entire game.

gemiller

Novice Member

9/08/13 10:01:36 AM#3
I started playing this game with someone and was stopped at level 4 trying to go the Traitors Cave and the only other quest we could find was one to attack a ship we couldn't kill. So agreed, it's a load of crap.
gemiller Xfire Miniprofile
  Margulis

Advanced Member

12/26/13 6:19:03 PM#4

KingsIsle is the worst there is.  They make you pay a subscription or pay huge amounts of crowns to buy access to areas, THEN they tie tons of game content into their cash shop on top of the subscription.  Oh that really powerful companion you just unlocked by completing that challenging task??  Guess what, you now have unlocked that companion in the CASH SHOP to now be PURCHASED! 

Terrible terrible company

simplius

Apprentice Member

1/13/14 4:21:21 AM#5

BEST MMO of 2013, according to this site

they even beat GW2

i smell something fishy

ViperDragon

Novice Member

1/13/14 7:17:04 AM#6
I'm not a fan of Pirate101, either.  It was always too restrictive for free players; but these latest changes are poor choices, IMO.

A great list of free games (mostly MMORPGs): http://www.mytop10games.com/

simplius

Apprentice Member

1/14/14 2:56:48 AM#7

poor for the players, good for the devs..at least, for now

it will hurt them in the long run, if it lasts that long

SJStrikers

Novice Member

1/25/14 4:03:53 PM#8
Originally posted by simplius

poor for the players, good for the devs..at least, for now

it will hurt them in the long run, if it lasts that long

True. More people, like myself, might pay to see more content.. But most gamers are not wealthy, and frankly most MMO's give WAY more for a lot less. Ex. All items/quests/ no restrictions for 14.99/mo.