Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,783,576 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,192,332
Pirate101 (P101)
KingsIsle Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 10/08/12)  | Pub:KingsIsle Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:$09.95
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Pirate101 Forum » General Discussion » Love this game!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
26 posts found
  Talemire

Advanced Member

Jesus is Lord.

10/24/12 8:54:32 PM#21
There's just something about this game that keeps me hooked, and I don't say that very often anymore. Last time I genuinely felt that way about an MMORPG was back in EQ2 and Vanguard. Ever since, not so much, until this game came along.

------------------------------
MMORPGs are great to look forward to after a hard day of work, but heaven is the ultimate reward for those who live Christ-like.

Silok

Advanced Member

10/25/12 7:05:30 PM#22
Originally posted by rhinok
Originally posted by Silok
Originally posted by Margulis
Originally posted by afropuff420

I haven't actually tried either game. To be honest I thought it was a game for kids. It seems as though I might be wrong. A few questions to those who have played it..

1. Is there pvp?

2. Is it an open world or instanced world? This isn't a big deal to me - just curious really. 

3. Is there crafting?

No pvp, no crafting, and instanced

It's a game that is mostly targeted to kids, but can be fun to play for the entire family.  I play with my son and we love it.  Most of the quest lines use the type of "animaniacs" humor that only adults or those familiar with pop-culture really get.  A great example is the quest to find Marquis Mark's lost Funky Bunches of bananas around the various islands.   Marquis Mark's closing statement when you complete the quest is priceless if you know the reference.  There are great "Frogfather" and "Rat Pack" quest lines, a vendor named Billy Haze, a rooster named Marshall Cogburn, a Prisoner of Zenda quest, etc...

In regards to your questions:

1)  No PvP now, but arena-style PvP will eventually be added (open world wouldn't be too family friendly).

2)  It's a mix.  You do wander the world with other players and can easily switch "realms" if one gets to full or a friend is in a different one.  You can join other players in open world broadside, deck or ground battles.  There are a number of instances, though, for quests.

3)  No crafting, but it may be added later.  Wizard101 has basic, family-friendly crafting.

This is not an open world, the world is separate into zone, wich are separate into tiny island, wich are separate into dungeon or cave.

That doesnt mean the game is not good tough.

Open world doesn't mean there aren't zones.  That's like saying EQ wasn't an open world game because it had zones.  The difference is EQs zones were bigger and it's dungeons were open.  In Pirate101, the zones are smaller and there are instanced dungeons instead of open dungeons.  

no in pirates 101 you have instance in instance in instance. not very open open world dont you think?

If you have lets a map wich you can roam free in its city and forest etc, and you got instance for the dungeons, well yes you have an open world, wow is a good example, vanguard is even perfect.

But in pirate 101 you have a map wich is an instance, where each city are instance and in the city you have instance for dungeon, heck you even have instance inside the dungeon instance.

So no this game is not open world.

Cities aren't instances, they're zones that any player can enter and move between.  The only "instances" are the dungeons you specifically have to enter with a timer.  Think of it more like City of Heroes - there are some open world city zones and then a bunch of combat instances.

That the same think, if you need to zone to enter a city then this is not an open world game. In pirate 101 you need to dock to enter a city, so this is an instance. The word instance is not only for dungeon when you can only have a group or a raid party.

Zone or instance is the same thing now, all you do here is playing with words. By the way a city has several channel wich are instance. A good example of a instance mmo is AOC, there is no real world map and pirate 101 is like that.

StonesDK

Hard Core Member

10/26/12 4:47:38 AM#23
Originally posted by Margulis
Originally posted by afropuff420

I haven't actually tried either game. To be honest I thought it was a game for kids. It seems as though I might be wrong. A few questions to those who have played it..

1. Is there pvp?

2. Is it an open world or instanced world? This isn't a big deal to me - just curious really. 

3. Is there crafting?

No pvp, no crafting, and instanced

It's a game that is mostly targeted to kids, but can be fun to play for the entire family.  I play with my son and we love it.  Most of the quest lines use the type of "animaniacs" humor that only adults or those familiar with pop-culture really get.  A great example is the quest to find Marquis Mark's lost Funky Bunches of bananas around the various islands.   Marquis Mark's closing statement when you complete the quest is priceless if you know the reference.  There are great "Frogfather" and "Rat Pack" quest lines, a vendor named Billy Haze, a rooster named Marshall Cogburn, a Prisoner of Zenda quest, etc...

In regards to your questions:

1)  No PvP now, but arena-style PvP will eventually be added (open world wouldn't be too family friendly).

2)  It's a mix.  You do wander the world with other players and can easily switch "realms" if one gets to full or a friend is in a different one.  You can join other players in open world broadside, deck or ground battles.  There are a number of instances, though, for quests.

3)  No crafting, but it may be added later.  Wizard101 has basic, family-friendly crafting.

This is not an open world, the world is separate into zone, wich are separate into tiny island, wich are separate into dungeon or cave.

That doesnt mean the game is not good tough.

Open world doesn't mean there aren't zones.  That's like saying EQ wasn't an open world game because it had zones.  The difference is EQs zones were bigger and it's dungeons were open.  In Pirate101, the zones are smaller and there are instanced dungeons instead of open dungeons.  

Apples and oranges

Original EQ before expansions  = Zoned

WoW = Zoned w. instanced dungeons

Pirate101 Instanced zones and instanced dungeons.

Everything in pirate101 is instanced. If too many people are in one place, another area becomes available forcing people into that instance of the zone. The reason why people call EQ open world is because you could run into people other than your group everywhere. The same is not true for Pirate101. You can both be on the same realm on the same spot and still not see each other because you are both in either area 1 or area 2

zkyclear

Novice Member

11/16/12 1:28:06 PM#24
I also love this game! With two great combat systems, a colourful world to explore, and buried treasure to be found, Pirate 101 is well worth your time, even if you're a grown up!
  dalin89

Novice Member

11/18/12 9:04:54 PM#25
Me too, I have been playing this game.
  Drama24-7

Apprentice Member

11/23/12 11:28:45 PM#26

Pirate101 is great for kids and older people who want to play with kids. It's a total family game. It's multicultural, and there is even some NPCs who could be gay, which is cool (Catbeard is one) though this is not done with great finesse. The dialogue from all NPCs is mostly funny, sometimes delivering really good jokes. This can carry the older gamer through some boring grinds that will probably hold kid's imagination but not yours for very long.

So, if you want to shield your kids from WoW trade chat yet give them a real game they can enjoy, P101 is one of them.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search