Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | EverQuest Next | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,880 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,312,971
Forsaken Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel Q4 2015)  | Pub:Forsaken Studios
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Embers of Caerus Forum » General Discussion » EoC 'New Direction'?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
31 posts found
  CthulhuPuffs

Novice Member

Will consume your soul, yet stay crunchy in milk

12/19/13 2:58:58 PM#21
Originally posted by Uhwop

I think you're hitting the nail on the head. 

It's not people investing in the development of games based on any sensible logic, like a sound business plan or because whoever is able to demonstrate an ability to go from concept to inception.  It's people throwing money at guys because they say they're making "the game" they're looking for. 

Some people are going to use kickstarter to get funding when they aren't able to get it through conventional means because they don't have anything but an idea. 

This is why Garriots - SotA, Jacobs -CU and soon McQuaids - ?? all get funded.

Fanbots throwing money at their Idols Ideas

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

Solar_Prophet

Hard Core Member

WAAAGH!

12/19/13 3:10:51 PM#22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz_DNrKVrQ8

About sums it up, I think.

Anyone taking bets on which kickstarter MMO will fail / be exposed as a scam next? My money's on Greed Monger.

Example of a common core math problem: If you have four pencils and seven apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Purple. Because aliens don't wear hats.

Uhwop

Advanced Member

12/19/13 3:25:59 PM#23
Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

It's not people investing in the development of games based on any sensible logic, like a sound business plan or because whoever is able to demonstrate an ability to go from concept to inception.  It's people throwing money at guys because they say they're making "the game" they're looking for. 

Some people are going to use kickstarter to get funding when they aren't able to get it through conventional means because they don't have anything but an idea. 

I don't really have a problem with people doing this, crowdfunding is an invaluable asset that allows people to get projects done that they otherwise don't have the financial means to do.  From my own perspective, as an artist, I wholeheartedly support stuff like this. 

If the project fails, it fails, that's just the way things go; nothing is guaranteed. 

I have more of an issue of the guy using the money he got people to give him for a project, and instead using it to fund travel expenses without ever doing what he originally said he was going to do with the money. 

If I went to someone and convinced them to give me 50k so that I could put on an art exhibit, and instead used that money to travel around the country painting landscapes, I'm pretty sure my ass would be dragged through court for misappropriation. 

Xthos

Novice Member

12/19/13 4:03:46 PM#24

So being a hatebot makes you better?  I have never given anyone money, but if I chose to give someone $25-50, why does it butt hurt people so badly?  If I give $50, I give it knowing it could disappear, not like I am going to skip paying bills or skip eating this month to fund a kickstarter. 

Hey, you guys may be happy with the crap that comes out now, a lot of us aren't, so when they see something they like, they will throw $25 or so at it, hoping that it or say they threw $25 at 4 of them and 1 comes out that they love, I bet they would find that acceptable.

Like I said, I have never given money, but if I see something I like, I am not against it...I would use information given to decide, but it is my money...Just as if other people give their money, it is theirs to do what they wish. 

I don't call people paybots for playing p2w..I mean the recent f2p mmos.

Loktofeit

Hard Core Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ArcheAge, and Combat Arms

12/19/13 4:26:42 PM#25

I always wondered how much $$ DAWN would have generated if it had been around and able to do a KS.

Fetalpults would have definately been on the Stretch Goals. LOL

SOMEBODY SHUT THIS CTHULUPUFF UP ALREADY!! im tired of this!! 
THESE ARE REAL LIVES HES MESSING WITH
A DAMN COMPANY IS AT STEAK!!!1

(It's a joke, Amanda. Google it before you ban me)

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

Retired

Apprentice Member

12/19/13 11:19:56 PM#26
The lead is in a state of denial, weak, tired, frustrated and exhausted. No one will buy the project as it isn't even a playable game at this stage. This project is toast and he is having a hard time facing it. This pipe dream of his is bad for Kickstarter unfortunately. I feel sad for those who are buying into this vision that someday the game will happen.
  CthulhuPuffs

Novice Member

Will consume your soul, yet stay crunchy in milk

12/19/13 11:32:20 PM#27
Originally posted by Loktofeit

I always wondered how much $$ DAWN would have generated if it had been around and able to do a KS.

Fetalpults would have definately been on the Stretch Goals. LOL

SOMEBODY SHUT THIS CTHULUPUFF UP ALREADY!! im tired of this!! 
THESE ARE REAL LIVES HES MESSING WITH
A DAMN COMPANY IS AT STEAK!!!1

(It's a joke, Amanda. Google it before you ban me)

HAHA! +1

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

User Deleted
12/19/13 11:38:36 PM#28
Also in the current era of video conferencing, I find it hard to believe that he needs to fly around to pitch this idea.
  iridescence

Elite Member

12/20/13 2:08:45 AM#29

Sad but I remember when I saw this one I was skeptical that they could make even a game prototype for the $25K  they were asking for. With Kickstarter, never spend anything on it that you'd be very upset if you just flushed down the toilet because there's always a small chance that pretty much that will happen.

Maybe the other person who bought it will still make a decent game although it seems like it would take millions to actually make a game like this properly.

gigat

Hard Core Member

12/20/13 11:59:41 PM#30
Originally posted by Retired
First Kickstarter MMO crash and burn. I called this happening the day Forsaken Studios started  taking money from people. Up next...Greedmonger will throw in the towel. Then soon after that Divergence. The only indie in that crowd that will ever be a real game is The Repopulation. Why, because The Repopulation, has real gameplay videos, while the rest of the wanna be mega indie mmos just have game models in an environment and not showcase any gameplay mechanics. If you've noticed after year Embers, Divergence and Greedmonger have no video showcasing mechanics, just a character walking in and environment doing nothing.

"Lose the helmet sis, we can't prove that you're retarded." - Dennis Reynolds

Splooshii

Novice Member

1/23/14 3:28:32 PM#31

I donated $75 to this game and I consider it money well spent. Regardless of whether or not this game come out it was fun to dream about it for a while. As far as this developers character I can't really comment, I don't know the guy and the face people put on in there videos is much like mask someone wears on a first date; all smiles and sugar.

I have no problem with him using this money to shop the game, it's not as if hes getting a hot tub installed with the funds. As long as he continues to try and make the game a reality it's not my place to micro manage him.

Maybe his best bet would be to sell his assets to Star Vault and just merge the two games, shit I would play that.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search