Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,922,404 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,315,360
Snail Game | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/10/13)  | Pub:Snail Games USA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Age of Wushu Forum » General Discussion » Ok so I tried it again, different experience this time good!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
30 posts found
  rodingo

Elite Member

4/07/13 1:27:06 PM#21
Originally posted by Aerowyn
Originally posted by bcbully
Originally posted by Manolios

i m waiting a long time for a game like this. not especially this one, but something like this.

i love eve, despite i dont like sci-fi games, and i m waiting much time to have a fantasy version of it. thats why i am playing AoW, but as aerowyn said, i cant get into, because of the combat mostly. i ll keep playing to find out more. i think they are doing a huge effort with this.

if you figure out a way to find the combat fun let me know because I'm at a loss

go start a fight.

done that.. done PVP.. hasn't changed how I feel about the system...

think i may just delete and start over one more time and try wanderer

I wouldn't sweat it.  Though some classes seem to excel in ranged combat and some don't and all that jazz so I guess it's a matter of finding the class that has teh right combo of skills you like to play with.  It's a little harder to discern what the strenghts and weaknesses of teh classes are since they aren't the more western traditional classes like warrior (tank), thief (dps,stealth), ranger (ranged),..etc. Though I feel you on the starting over part.  Some games have some fun starting areas, but AoW's seem more like a chore that you have to go through until you can pick your school.

If it's just simply the combat in general, well then I don't think any class will improve it for you.  I don't think the combat is as responsive as I would like, but I don't neccasarily consider it clunky either.  The way I see it though, if it's not repsonsive for me, then it probably isn't for the guy I'm fighting either.  So it's just a matter of who is used to the combat as well as their gear, inner level, and skill.  Maybe not in that order, but I think they all play their part in the overall combat and deciding who will walk away from the fight.  For something that's F2P, I can live with that. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Aerowyn

Novice Member

4/07/13 1:37:47 PM#22
Originally posted by rodingo

i m waiting a long time for a game like this. not especially this one, but something like this.

i love eve, despite i dont like sci-fi games, and i m waiting much time to have a fantasy version of it. thats why i am playing AoW, but as aerowyn said, i cant get into, because of the combat mostly. i ll keep playing to find out more. i think they are doing a huge effort with this.

if you figure out a way to find the combat fun let me know because I'm at a loss

go start a fight.

think i may just delete and start over one more time and try wanderer

I wouldn't sweat it.  Though some classes seem to excel in ranged combat and some don't and all that jazz so I guess it's a matter of finding the class that has teh right combo of skills you like to play with.  It's a little harder to discern what the strenghts and weaknesses of teh classes are since they aren't the more western traditional classes like warrior (tank), thief (dps,stealth), ranger (ranged),..etc. Though I feel you on the starting over part.  Some games have some fun starting areas, but AoW's seem more like a chore that you have to go through until you can pick your school.

If it's just simply the combat in general, well then I don't think any class will improve it for you.  I don't think the combat is as responsive as I would like, but I don't neccasarily consider it clunky either.  The way I see it though, if it's not repsonsive for me, then it probably isn't for the guy I'm fighting either.  So it's just a matter of who is used to the combat as well as their gear, inner level, and skill.  Maybe not in that order, but I think they all play their part in the overall combat and deciding who will walk away from the fight.  For something that's F2P, I can live with that. 

so far i have tried wudang, shaolin, and emei.. haven't cared for any.. going to give one more school a shot before i just write the game off for now.. considering WV or Tangmen...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Opapanax

Novice Member

Most Morbid One

4/07/13 1:41:56 PM#23

Wanderer's Valley All day..

Moxio..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

Adhesive33

Novice Member

4/07/13 3:25:13 PM#24

Regarding the combat, I also found it clunky and off-putting at first. What helped me get past my initial impression was to first change the controls to suit my play-style (remap parry to shift and right-click to control direction) and then simply to start looking at Wushu’s combat in juxtaposition to EVE's point-and-click mechanics.

I've always loved EVE's player-driven economy, skill progression system, and political drama.  But, I really didn’t like how disconnected I felt to my avatar, and I couldn't stand the whole drop-down menu combat mechanics. Age of Wushu seemed to solve a lot of these problems by grounding my avatar, giving me WASD movement, and crafting a super-immersive world to explore. So, when I had to engage in combat, I stopped trying to compare it to super-fluid action games and instead tried comparing it to the combat in EVE. The aspects of EVE’s combat that I did like were the rock-paper-scissors approach in choosing the right fittings, deciding which skills were needed when, and making sure I had allies around when necessary. I think Age of Wushu actually does a really good job of this. The feint and parry system really works when mastered, and 3 low level players can take on a high-level player with the right CC tactics.

So, instead of approaching every fight like I needed to out-maneuver and out-pace my opponent, I started trying to just out-play them. Feinting when they thrown up a block, attacking when they go for a feint, etc. What I found was that my frustration with lag and general clunkyness started subsiding the more I focused on those aspects. Then, once those were mastered, I actually found that the game was more fluid than I initially gave it credit for.

Just the other day I had a fight as a patrol that played out like a cinematic in a kung-fu flick. I was chasing a spy, which I had gotten down to super low-health, when we reach what I thought was a dead-end surrounded by tall buildings. He finds a tree in the corner, leaps off its branch and manages to make it to the rooftop. I thought I’d lost him, but I scramble up the tree as well and we continue the chase on rooftop, jumping from roof to roof. Finally I get close enough that just as he’s making a leap across two roofs I throw a dagger into his back and finish him off. It was pretty awesome.

I’m not saying the combat is the greatest thing out there, and if combat is your main priority you may want to wait for a game like Blade & Soul, but, if you are looking for a good sandbox, I think the combat in Wushu is plenty good once you accept it for what it is. I know that nobody wants to hear that they need to change their perspective in order to enjoy a game. But, if sandbox is your bag, it may just be worth troubling yourself to learn how to enjoy AoW. It's not like there are a lot of alternatives. 

Aerowyn

Novice Member

4/07/13 3:27:47 PM#25
anyone know if you can bypass the 48 hour wait time when deleteing a character? i don't even care if I can't keep that name there is just no option to make another character that I can see while I wait for my current one ot delete.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

NC360

Novice Member

4/08/13 12:07:53 AM#26

The only tip I would have for people starting out (I'm new as well BTW), is PvP as soon as possible. Duel people! Seriously, because newbies fighting newbies gives you a really good feel for the combat, in a way PvE cannot do. People think: "I'm going to get more powerful than try dueling sometime"... bad idea, no really it's bad.

NC360

Novice Member

4/08/13 12:16:35 AM#27

go start a fight.

Seriously man, then you simply don't like the game. Which is ok. I don't get why people seem to think everyone has to keep trying forever. You actually took the time to do a lot of stuff (unlike a lot of people), so that's cool. You just don't like it.

AresPL

Novice Member

4/08/13 5:45:11 AM#28
anyone know if you can bypass the 48 hour wait time when deleteing a character? i don't even care if I can't keep that name there is just no option to make another character that I can see while I wait for my current one ot delete.

cant, make new acc

alexanys1982

Novice Member

WTB a sandbox mmo with WoW's polish.

4/09/13 2:22:12 PM#29
Originally posted by azzamasin

Good experience, im still relatively new and there is so much to take in, like a gazillion things to take in and I do not understand much of it.  I was able to figure out how to become a begger and join the begging school....gotta get me some old fashioned Staff Fighting techniques mastered.

I dunno how long I can play trying to learn so much in so short amount of time though.  Even though my first MMO was Asheron's Call I am a product of the themepark school of MMO play.  Will take me along time (or never) to get used to this game but it def has tons of pontential.

I am almost crazy certain guild play and group play is way more important to getting used to the game and as such this might be the straw that breaks the game for me.  Anyone else who plays late at night on the East Coast want to group up and learn the game together?

Group play is a nightmare right now dominated by schools with the highest aoe damage. The real meat and potatoes here is small scale and solo pvp.

Aerowyn

Novice Member

4/09/13 4:22:41 PM#30
Originally posted by NC360

go start a fight.

Seriously man, then you simply don't like the game. Which is ok. I don't get why people seem to think everyone has to keep trying forever. You actually took the time to do a lot of stuff (unlike a lot of people), so that's cool. You just don't like it.

yea it just has so many aspects I love.. martial arts, asian theme, more open free form style world.. but overall just can't find enjoyment in this game... sucks because I can't say oh well ill just go try the other 50 games out there like this to see which I like because there aren't that many... oh well have fun all..

2 Pages « 1 2 Search