Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,711 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,076
Snail Game | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/10/13)  | Pub:Snail Games USA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Age of Wushu Forum » General Discussion » I can prove AOW is not P2W and reasons why you should play it.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
83 posts found
  User Deleted
1/31/13 11:59:57 AM#21
It's a open pvp game so you can't compare it with other games if someone gets everything fast cause of real money it's paytowin he will kill other players that are not spending their paycheck in this game. 
  bcbully

Elite Member

1/31/13 12:09:11 PM#22
Originally posted by Kenshin_Himura
It's a open pvp game so you can't compare it with other games if someone gets everything fast cause of real money it's paytowin he will kill other players that are not spending their paycheck in this game. 

You are intentionally being dense with your argument now... You could spend a million dollars and it wont make a difference. Wait I lied you'll WOULD have been 2 weeks ahead.

When I eat chocolate chip pie it just doesn't feel like chocolate chip cookies. The texture, the consistency, it's just not the same and this is disappointing.

User Deleted
1/31/13 12:14:05 PM#23
Originally posted by bcbully

You are intentionally being dense with your argument now... You could spend a million dollars and it wont make a difference. Wait I lied you'll WOULD have been 2 weeks ahead.

2 weeks ahead heck even 2 hours ahead would make a difference this is not first person shooter game where you might get a lucky headshot here and there, it's stronger always wins so any difference matters.

Doogiehowser

Novice Member

1/31/13 12:17:27 PM#24

I love how people  change definiton of what is considered as P2W as long as it is their favorite MMO in the crosshairs. Not so long ago certain someone was calling GW2 a PZW game.. 

*rolls eyes*

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

DarkfallFanatic

Apprentice Member

1/31/13 12:28:19 PM#25
Originally posted by Burntvet
A bigger problem, imo, is that although there are a lot of shiny graphics, and a decent crafting system, and it has better than average quality, the game is still a HUGE grind, and in that way not much different than the Asian grinders we have been seeing for years. Grind for this, grind for that, grind so you can get your 40 unbound silver, grind for pills, grind this and that daily. Grind, grind, and grind. Nothing wrong with that (if you like those and live in Asia, and make no mistake, this is a direct port job, with the same exact gameplay as is released in Asia) But tastes are a bit different here in the West. And I have a job and don't need another one. AoW is just any grinder.

Out of all the games that have grind this is not one of them. At least its not as bad as other games. I've heard stories of the GW2 grind, and I've singlehandedly experienced the old Darkfall grind (that was fun). Until I have to macro all my skills to 100 again in a game I would NOT call it a grind. 

Also consider the fact that your life skills are capped daily, effectively eliminating any grinding you try to achieve. Practice martial arts is also capped daily by x amount of silver. Team practice is capped. 

Honestly I applaud Snail or whomever who put down countermeasures to prevent the grind, and instead reduce the grind to aspect which involve teamwork and encourage PvP (such as spying). Now, anyone such as yourself can define spying and patrolling as "grinding" but when you do that one has to ask if you are enjoying the game at all, or if you're just racing to the end blindly as so many western MMOs have taught us. 

bcbully

Elite Member

1/31/13 12:32:53 PM#26
Originally posted by Doogiehowser

I love how people  change definiton of what is considered as P2W as long as it is their favorite MMO in the crosshairs. Not so long ago certain someone was calling GW2 a PZW game.. 

*rolls eyes*

You right Doogie. Pre-Launch I had some real concerns, cash shop buffs being used in WvW. After I played I said I was wrong on more than one occasion. To be fair though I have never called GW2 p2w. I had real concerns about he cash shop and gems for gold. 

The funny thing is AoW is no more p2w than GW2. The biggest difference is that money can be made in AoW easier and earlier. 

When I eat chocolate chip pie it just doesn't feel like chocolate chip cookies. The texture, the consistency, it's just not the same and this is disappointing.

bcbully

Elite Member

1/31/13 12:37:34 PM#27

2 weeks ahead heck even 2 hours ahead would make a difference this is not first person shooter game where you might get a lucky headshot here and there, it's stronger always wins so any difference matters.

What part of CAP do you not understand. Let me break it down.

Let's say I start a toon today. I spend $50,0000 I have reach my gear cap. I still have to earn 2weeks of XP for skills though.

Let's say you start a toon today. 2 weeks later you reach gear cap. Over those two weeks you have earned enough xp to max my skills.

Again if some one wants to pay money for that let them. 

stiz4shiz

Novice Member

1/31/13 12:39:40 PM#28

Why do people always complain about cash shops in free to play games? Everyone bitches about subscription models..then they bitch about cash shops. I agree that being able to buy some overpowered weapon that will one shot everyone you come in contact with should not be in cash shops..and for most games they arent. So, what the hell do you guys think should be in cash shops? Cosmetics only? Get real, these company spend millions on development and need just as much to keep servers running and new content incoming, they're gonna put stuff in the shop that will actually turn a profit.

Yep you guessed it, they care more about making money than protecting your fragile little egos. I know that sound mean, but all I see is people saying that someone else might progress quicker than they will. Don't like that idea? Then you should play a subscription model game, because one way or the other they HAVE to turn a PROFIT...that's just the way the real world works.

User Deleted
1/31/13 12:41:49 PM#29
Originally posted by stiz4shiz

Why do people always complain about cash shops in free to play games? Everyone bitches about subscription models..then they bitch about cash shops. I agree that being able to buy some overpowered weapon that will one shot everyone you come in contact with should not be in cash shops..and for most games they arent. So, what the hell do you guys think should be in cash shops? Cosmetics only? Get real, these company spend millions on development and need just as much to keep servers running and new content incoming, they're gonna put stuff in the shop that will actually turn a profit.

Yep you guessed it, they care more about making money than protecting your fragile little egos. I know that sound mean, but all I see is people saying that someone else might progress quicker than they will. Don't like that idea? Then you should play a subscription model game, because one way or the other they HAVE to turn a PROFIT...that's just the way the real world works.

Didn't have to read the whole thing but this is not free2play it has subscription.

bcbully

Elite Member

1/31/13 12:45:55 PM#30

Didn't have to read the whole thing but this is not free2play it has subscription.

Yep, there is an optional sub. What's the problem?

Man I feel like I ripped these guys off paying only 9$ back in november. I feel like I owe them lol.

stiz4shiz

Novice Member

1/31/13 12:48:54 PM#31
Oh, I was unaware of the subscription. Thought it was  free to play with optional cash shop only. 
  bcbully

Elite Member

1/31/13 12:54:38 PM#32
Oh, I was unaware of the subscription. Thought it was  free to play with optional cash shop only. 

F2P or sub $9/month and get stuff like offline cultivation, and offline shop. 

stiz4shiz

Novice Member

1/31/13 1:04:09 PM#33

F2P or sub $9/month and get stuff like offline cultivation, and offline shop. 

I see, I have a beta key but havent had the time to check it out yet. I was just saying that I think it's wrong for people to damn games for selling non-cosmetics in cash shops.  A lot of people put a lot of work into projects like this... and they gotta pay their bills and feed their family just like the rest of us. Making money is part of running a company. I see nothing wrong with it as long as it's not overly unfair.

azzamasin

Elite Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

1/31/13 1:13:03 PM#34
Sounds P2W to me and the videos I have seen make the game look really bad.  Not into martial arts and def not into douchbaggery style game play. i.e. kidnapping and asshatery playstyles so I'll pass.  Stick to carebear themeparks thank you very much.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Wighty

Apprentice Member

1/31/13 1:14:04 PM#35

It's about as pay to win as games that sell XP boosters or Eve where you have plex system.

The FEAR of P2W comes in how they monetize the game in China where everyone maxes out and all of a sudden snail puts some mega skill on the cash shopfor a high price. (yes in the CN version you can buy skills on the cash shop).

I am plodding along in the game preogressing like a normal person, I purchased a little gold from a promotion for the anniversary which had some perks, but it is just sitting in the bank.

For now the game is very enjoyable, just hope they don't screw it up and monetize it like the CN version.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Torvaldr

Elite Member

1/31/13 1:34:58 PM#36
Originally posted by Purutzil

No matter how you chop it up, its P2W in some form, whether or not its acceptable is up to you the user. 

Thing is, if your going to call Age of Wushu P2W, then you need to say that GW2 is P2W as well as it has the same type of system in place, and in an even stronger form due to the fact you can basically trade for the best gear and gold having a big value in WvW for seige items to boost your ability to perform.

Basically, if your going to call Age of Wushu P2W, your going have to claim other games are P2W as well, and in that form just how much 'P2W' they are will depend greatly on what the user views P2W as.

Or Path of Exile, or Rift, or most any other game out there.  I don't really care about p2w in any game becuase they all monetize the game in some way that you're better off paying than not.

It's abysmal community in this game that puts me off.  Look at some of the posts.  They make the GW2 hivemind look like your best beer drinking buddies.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

Aeonblades

Hard Core Member

1/31/13 1:37:09 PM#37
Originally posted by Torvaldr
Originally posted by Purutzil

No matter how you chop it up, its P2W in some form, whether or not its acceptable is up to you the user. 

Thing is, if your going to call Age of Wushu P2W, then you need to say that GW2 is P2W as well as it has the same type of system in place, and in an even stronger form due to the fact you can basically trade for the best gear and gold having a big value in WvW for seige items to boost your ability to perform.

Basically, if your going to call Age of Wushu P2W, your going have to claim other games are P2W as well, and in that form just how much 'P2W' they are will depend greatly on what the user views P2W as.

Or Path of Exile, or Rift, or most any other game out there.  I don't really care about p2w in any game becuase they all monetize the game in some way that you're better off paying than not.

It's abysmal community in this game that puts me off.  Look at some of the posts.  They make the GW2 hivemind look like your best beer drinking buddies.

While Rift doesn't have a cash shop (the groundwork was laid yes, but it is currently empty), I did find this post really amusing and truthful. That last sentence made my day, Thanks Torv :D

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
Have played: You name it
If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

GrayKodiak

Novice Member

1/31/13 2:12:54 PM#38
Originally posted by Wighty

It's about as pay to win as games that sell XP boosters or Eve where you have plex system.

The FEAR of P2W comes in how they monetize the game in China where everyone maxes out and all of a sudden snail puts some mega skill on the cash shopfor a high price. (yes in the CN version you can buy skills on the cash shop).

I am plodding along in the game preogressing like a normal person, I purchased a little gold from a promotion for the anniversary which had some perks, but it is just sitting in the bank.

For now the game is very enjoyable, just hope they don't screw it up and monetize it like the CN version.

This /\

[mod edit] What I am worried about is when/if snail actually puts in a pay2win element the constant p2w buzzing background noise  will have been going on so long they will not notice genuine customer disdain for such an element. The CN version of this game is pay2win in fact you have some people who have experienced it trolling the U.S. version just because of that fact.

But snail US has said they do not want to be pay2win so I hope they can stick to that. Keep the cash shop cosmetic and everything should be OK.

DSWBeef

Advanced Member

1/31/13 2:17:21 PM#39
If someone can BUY gear that I can still get but get it sooner then yes it is P2W. Say it takes me 2 weeks to grind for mats for an awesome sword but someone can just buy it then thye do have an advantage. Same with GW2 gem system. IF I can buy a SHIT load of gems and convert them to gold to buy amazing gear then its still a form of P2W it just doesnt work all to well due to TERRIBLE exchange rates...

Playing: Archeage Alpha, World of Warcraft, and Diablo 3
Waiting on: Archeage, Everquest Next and The Black Desert

django-django

Novice Member

1/31/13 2:56:10 PM#40
For this to become a Pay to win game the players in this game need to pay to win, but right now they are just paying for a head start. You can't buy anything in RL money that will get you weapons that no other player can get, nor can you buy armour that no other player can get. If you are a low level and just bought all these weapons and gear after transferring all your gold you just purchased into silver, then you will come to the sad realisation that gear means nothing. For those who think this game is P2W, please go invest some time into this game, PvP against other characters, then tell us how all your purchased gear and weapons with RL money gave you so much of an advantage that you were unbeatable. Because that sounds more pay 2 win to me, then what this really is...
5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search