Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Elder Scrolls Online | Neverwinter

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,848,495 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,222,879
Snail Game | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/10/13)  | Pub:Snail Games USA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Age of Wushu Forum » General Discussion » Is it just me or does the combat kind of suck?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
56 posts found
  Biskop

Novice Member

1/12/13 3:48:21 PM#21

I think one of the reasons the combat comes off as clunky to a lot of people is because blocking is bound to rmb by default.

I know it put me off when I started; I'm used to using rmb to turn my char around while fighting, and as soon as I entered combat it felt very strange not being able to get the fluidity I'm used to. Also, since I kept pressing rmb out of pure habit, I was blocking when I wasn't intending to, which also meant I couldn't jump or move around properly.

As soon as I rebound the blocking key I got a much better feeling for how the combat works. Moving and positioning is pretty vital, as is a proper understanding of how the skills (both yours and your opponent's) work - just standing around spamming rotations won't do which is probably another reason for the complaints.

People treat this like a standard tab-targeting game where you just find the "I win" button, lock on and spam away, but it's not.

django-django

Novice Member

1/12/13 4:36:44 PM#22
The combat is different in a sense, but I see where you all are coming from as I felt like that when I first started combat training. But I was really interested in this game and had hopes that the combat would get better and sooner or later it got heaps better. When you start combining your normal skills with your flying skills and not just the one you are given at the start then it really gets fun. PvP combat has never really been my thing, but chasing a spy from another school was a lot of fun. Give this game a good go if you are interested, the combat does get better.
  mindw0rk

Advanced Member

1/12/13 5:48:06 PM#23

It starts slow and doesnt impress until you get more abilities, cinguns and know what to do. Then it becomes one of the best and deepest combat systems in MMORPG genre.

And ya, rebind blocking. I did it right away

wfsaxton

Novice Member

OP  1/12/13 6:03:08 PM#24
Originally posted by Biskop

I think one of the reasons the combat comes off as clunky to a lot of people is because blocking is bound to rmb by default.

I know it put me off when I started; I'm used to using rmb to turn my char around while fighting, and as soon as I entered combat it felt very strange not being able to get the fluidity I'm used to. Also, since I kept pressing rmb out of pure habit, I was blocking when I wasn't intending to, which also meant I couldn't jump or move around properly.

As soon as I rebound the blocking key I got a much better feeling for how the combat works. Moving and positioning is pretty vital, as is a proper understanding of how the skills (both yours and your opponent's) work - just standing around spamming rotations won't do which is probably another reason for the complaints.

People treat this like a standard tab-targeting game where you just find the "I win" button, lock on and spam away, but it's not.

Thank u for this post.  This describes my experience exactly.  Im always clicking RMB to turn my char and i continue to do so during combat.  That might be one of my issues.

Ill give it another try after rebinding it to my keyboard.

GrayKodiak

Novice Member

1/12/13 7:15:43 PM#25
Originally posted by Biskop

unless you are scholar then you can just spin to win...just kidding.

Spamming one button is the first thing I did and later learned is the worst thing you can do. Feint charge attack, another attack, charge....this all goes off smooth and without delay but hitting the same attack button over and over doesnt work period, there is a delay for doing that

my rotation in TSW was 4211111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 until they died, I do not have a rotation in Wushu because it depends on who I am fighting but it would be more common for me to go 0,5, 3, 2,1 4, 2,1, 6.

This would be my area of affect self boost, scholar spin, feint to counter the block (assuming they went to block the spin), kick move that tosses them, run up and do the slow three kick move, jump and charge, kick move that tosses them, slow kick, my OTHER charge and that is of course if they don't respond properly. throwing in rage moves and spins as needed/able. Redoing the ground buff if I am not getting pounded on...ect. Really depends on who I am fighting as well, I never block against valley always end up blocking against wudang.

RudedawgCDN

Novice Member

1/12/13 8:05:31 PM#26
Originally posted by mindw0rk

It starts slow and doesnt impress until you get more abilities, cinguns and know what to do. Then it becomes one of the best and deepest combat systems in MMORPG genre.

And ya, rebind blocking. I did it right away

I would agree it's deep and I like the game a lot.

But it is very clunky and could be done a lot better.

Arglebargle

Elite Member

1/12/13 8:56:32 PM#27
Can you invert the mouse yet??

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Izik

Novice Member

1/12/13 10:18:38 PM#28
It's bad.... and it's especially bad because the game is touted as a PvP mmo. If this game had Tera's combat system it would be incredible. Tab-target combat in a martial arts game just feels lame.
  AresPL

Novice Member

1/13/13 5:58:33 AM#29

most styles have 1 targeting skill which fly/run to enemy, as for rest 30,180,360 degree

only throwing darts, using chain have more skills that require targeting, comparing this game to tera is stupid, can You run on walls, can You dash in air, can tripple jump or backflip? Guess I missed some updates in tera. 

Grable

Novice Member

1/14/13 2:03:19 AM#30

I agree that it feels clunky and sluggish at times, like it has delay. I'm sure it could've been done much smoother, but I'm still enjoying it.

I'm sure it's going to get even more interesting once I get more flying skills to dodge in and out :)

PS: I disliked the RMB to block as well, rebinded it to E. Felt better instantly. Also kind of dislike that it autolocks your movement to your target.

Sal1

Apprentice Member

1/14/13 7:52:58 AM#31
Originally posted by Arglebargle

Not yet. We are still in Beta test #2 though. And I know many people will say it should have had this control type from the get go. Has anyone played the Chinese version and know how long they've had this control?

logicbomb82

Hard Core Member

1/14/13 8:00:36 AM#32
Combat takes some thought and skill. Not just spamming your main attack then using a special when it comes up. If you do this you will not win.  It's not for everyone, especially people who are from the WOW generation of MMO's. Coming from Asheron's Call, I think the combat is a refreshing change to the norm.

Logicbomb
Captian of Team VIA/TD

Batzenbaer

Novice Member

1/14/13 9:27:12 AM#33

http://forum.mmosite.com/thread/2/263/20120819/Introduction_to_Meridian_System-5031d06e521f6d013-1.html

With the Meridian System u will get Combopoints that remove the GCD between 2 specified Skills.

Think this will make the Combat a bit faster.

Arglebargle

Elite Member

1/14/13 7:18:32 PM#34
Originally posted by Sal1

Not yet. We are still in Beta test #2 though. And I know many people will say it should have had this control type from the get go. Has anyone played the Chinese version and know how long they've had this control?

Thanks for the response!  I've spent 30 years playing this way (mouse inverted), not going to switch it for one game, no matter the quality.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

GrayKodiak

Novice Member

1/14/13 7:49:27 PM#35
Originally posted by Sal1

Thanks for the response!  I've spent 30 years playing this way (mouse inverted), not going to switch it for one game, no matter the quality.

realizing you have a problem is the first step to overcoming it.

Izik

Novice Member

1/15/13 1:25:51 AM#36
Originally posted by logicbomb82
Combat takes some thought and skill. Not just spamming your main attack then using a special when it comes up. If you do this you will not win.  It's not for everyone, especially people who are from the WOW generation of MMO's. Coming from Asheron's Call, I think the combat is a refreshing change to the norm.

oh i must have missed the part where everyone spams a couple attacks, then hits their Hatred/Combo point finisher.

Quit trying to make the combat sound more special than it is.

VGBe

Novice Member

1/15/13 2:53:23 AM#37
Originally posted by Izik
Originally posted by logicbomb82

oh i must have missed the part where everyone spams a couple attacks, then hits their Hatred/Combo point finisher.

Quit trying to make the combat sound more special than it is.

No one spams anything and survives at any even somewhat decent level of play.  Eating a wind-catcher shock or a Lotus palm combo because you're just randomly throwing shit out is going to hurt far worse than a random rage attack would.

The only time betting everything on them works is at low internal levels where a leveled rage attack for certain styles can basically 1 shot someone. Especially since most rage attacks give you a free punish on block

injenu

Novice Member

1/16/13 10:47:44 AM#38

Wudang, Wandering Valley, Shaolin, Beggars, and Emei : "Combat is really slow and I have to kite my opponents and pick my spots to attack. "

Tangman, Royal Guard and Scholar : "All I do is hang out with my RG friend, he pulls and I click my spin-to-win button"

That basically sums up the combat in this game.  I personally play a Wudang, and I like the intricacy of not being able to just "In your face" spam, but that's me.   Game's blocking is a little slow despite having auto-block on.   Game also has a little pay to win element to it as well but it's not as ridiculous as say Age of Conan. 

mindw0rk

Advanced Member

1/17/13 7:33:48 AM#39
Originally posted by injenu 

That basically sums up the combat in this game. 

With one important note. It sums combat from the view of noobie player who hardly knows what to do. When you learn your moves and get even more of them, you start destroying people no matter whom they play

AresPL

Novice Member

1/17/13 2:18:34 PM#40
plus in future there will be above 50 styles and You have to know what Your enemy can do, have to also keep an eye on his parry as some can give dmg, def, speed and other nasty debuffs
3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search