Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,814 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,156
Snail Game | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/10/13)  | Pub:Snail Games USA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Age of Wushu Forum » General Discussion » Age of Wushu: sandbox or theme park?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
66 posts found
  VassagoMael

Advanced Member

1/10/13 6:22:20 PM#61
Originally posted by GrayKodiak

I voted mix,

I see sandbox as some nebulous term that as soon as someone starts to define it they also start to leave out a lot of games that we consider sandboxish

No zones (well that leaves out SWG because the planets were massive zones)

No travel restrictions (there goes EvE with its funnel point jump gates)

No transition between areas (which leaves out Eve and SWG but oddly enough would include old world WoW)

No skill caps (that leaves out SWG and UO)

No factions (SWG and the original Darkfall)

Must have player housing (Again Eve goes out the window)

I just know it is not a themepark because we have a good definition of that. A Themepark funnels you from appropriately leveled content (and areas) to the next place you are suppose to be over and over again..some have one rail (Rifts and TSW) some have multiple rails (WoW) but they are all about guiding you through the content, and this doesn't do that.

EVE certainly has player owned structure.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
Subscription = Actual content updates!

AresPL

Novice Member

1/11/13 4:20:17 AM#62
mobs give exp, You just need kill in Your lvl range or stronger / even running in city and talking with npc will give exp for certain time
  VGBe

Novice Member

1/11/13 6:06:55 AM#63
Originally posted by Agrias34

It's a mix of both, but I feel it more a themepark.  All of the sandbox qualities are limiting and not even fun.  The crafting and stuff is great, driving the community to make and trade everything.  However, there are still quests in the game that have much faster progression towards 'leveling up', so they're almost a must

Except that isn't true at all. While random encounters and story quests do give a respectable amount of exp, they're far from the best...much less an "absolute must". Hell, most people greatly outpace their cultivation rate just by casually going about their daily business. In all honesty, the game pretty much rains exp on you for almost any activity.

and there are dungeons that you basically have to do in order to get the flying skills or in other words 'gear' that other themepark games offer as gear progression, in order to be competitive and have what you need in the game to progress.

There is no bind on pickup limiations on instance items. Books can be bought and sold by players. You don't really HAVE to do any instance.

The sandbox qualities of the PvP aspects are horrible.  If there are no factions so to speak, then that would indicate that you should be able to kill anyone at any time.  However, this isn't exactly true.

You can kill anyone at any time once they lose their newbie protection. I could walk right up to my guild leader right now and punch him in the face if I wanted. Guilds are the ingame factions. There is no overarching red vs blue type setup.

I played for hours and even participated for 1 hour in defending my capital's home town from people trying to steal our knowledge.  I saw so many people of other clans just wandering around my capital and I couldn't attack them at all.  Finally after about 30 minutes of just waltzing around 'defending' my capital, someone was trying to steal from us and had a marker on his head letting me attack him.  

These are schools, not military installations. It's not illegal to or against the rules to visit another school. If you want to legally klll someone, you need a cause to do so. Which in this case was him stealing a scroll

This is not sandbox.  It is very restricting, and only certain activities can be done at certain times of the day.

To prevent abuse and to ensure that large amounts of players will be doing it at once. Imagine a guild waking up to find that their base had been half destroyed by two or three random guys at 4am. Now imagine the chaos if everyone was doing a mad dash into school libraries trying to steal books around the clock.

I really wanted to like this game.  But after 45+ hours, I feel like I've accomplished so little in this 'sandbox' so to speak, that I just can't be entertained anymore because I'm very limited on what I can and cannot do.

How is it even possible to play for so long and understand so little about the game mechanics? I know the translation is a bit wonky, but god damn.

Isawa

Novice Member

1/11/13 6:10:09 AM#64
Originally posted by AresPL
mobs give exp, You just need kill in Your lvl range or stronger / even running in city and talking with npc will give exp for certain time

Just jumping a bunch sometimes gives you exp :) I voted mix.

Grable

Novice Member

1/11/13 6:15:29 AM#65
Originally posted by VGBe

How is it even possible to play for so long and understand so little about the game mechanics? I know the translation is a bit wonky, but god damn.

He must've farmed those instances hard for the Lying skills book.

AresPL

Novice Member

1/11/13 1:35:48 PM#66
after hours of playing he dont know it was skill stealing event not war, while he was patroling clan territory not defending skill pages, after 30min event ends and while spy was flagged he was able to kill him...
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search