Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,791,022 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,194,293
Snail Game | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/10/13)  | Pub:Snail Games USA
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Age of Wushu Forum » General Discussion » Is it deep, or just confusing?

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
108 posts found
  BeansnBread

Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/06
Posts: 5542

1/06/13 8:56:38 AM#41
Originally posted by muthax
Originally posted by colddog04
Originally posted by Jojin

I wasn't overstating the fact.  I like the PVP, as I am a big EVE fan.  I just didn't like that while just getting into it, constantly being sent back and dealing with the death plenalty.

Maybe your just terrible, but you can quickly get to a point where you are able to be killed, just by following the tutorial and walking around.  Mine all came in a single play session and when I logged out I think I had a warnings about 420 minutes left of time.

As to what exactly unlocks PVP, I can't say.  I know I did get the message early on about being able to change my settings.  Even though it did not let me change then, as it gave me a warning I still found myself getting killed.

They've got a defense force out.

 

All you did was express facts about what happened to you in game. You didn't even really say anything overly negative about the game. You basically said that it was frustrating to get killed in the early hours of the game during dialog options by people that had huge advantages over you.

 

Sounds reasonable to me. I'd just ignore the people that are claiming that you are lying or weak or whatever their insecure attacks bring.

There is no defence force out, people are just stating that their experience was very different and that it sounded strange as there is only a server. His answers being a bit rude didn't help eiher.

I understand you don't like the game, it's ok. No one cares. But why are you spendign time in a board that is supposed to be  about discussing the game and help each others, if you clearly have no liking for the game? What is your contribute to the discussion?

No, I'm actually liking part of the game. You don't understand shit.

SWTOR is the greatest mmo ever!

  muthax

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/15/05
Posts: 582

1/06/13 8:58:57 AM#42
Wow. Hard to tell, with those four pages you spent arguing with another user like a child. But it's ok. Either way no one cares
  BeansnBread

Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/06
Posts: 5542

1/06/13 9:01:18 AM#43
Originally posted by muthax
Wow. Hard to tell, with those four pages you spent arguing with another user like a child. But it's ok. Either way no one cares

And here you are acting like a child by calling me names and making stupid assumptions. It's easy to toss blame, but obviously difficult people to accept responsibility.

SWTOR is the greatest mmo ever!

  muthax

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/15/05
Posts: 582

1/06/13 9:04:24 AM#44
Originally posted by colddog04
Originally posted by muthax
Wow. Hard to tell, with those four pages you spent arguing with another user like a child. But it's ok. Either way no one cares

And here you are acting like a child by calling me names and making stupid assumptions. It's easy to toss blame, but obviously difficult people to accept responsibility.

I am not calling you names, you spent 4 pages arguing who didn't understand who and who was smarter.

Anyway, unlike you I don't enjoy flames so I will just block your posts and there it ends.

  BeansnBread

Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/06
Posts: 5542

1/06/13 9:09:26 AM#45
Originally posted by muthax
Originally posted by colddog04
Originally posted by muthax
Wow. Hard to tell, with those four pages you spent arguing with another user like a child. But it's ok. Either way no one cares

And here you are acting like a child by calling me names and making stupid assumptions. It's easy to toss blame, but obviously difficult people to accept responsibility.

I am not calling you names, you spent 4 pages arguing who didn't understand who and who was smarter.

Anyway, unlike you I don't enjoy flames so I will just block your posts and there it ends.

In this thread, this is what users were saying about the poster in question:

 

This is nonsense.  He is exaggerating his negative experiences.

Yeah, he's obviously the kind of player who hates PvP but still signs up for an oPvP game, feels horrible when someone kills his pixels, and then has to exaggerate wildly just to feel better about himself.

 

If you are unable to see the attacks on his character for relating his personal experiences, then you are unable to comprehend the reaction. Your personal reaction was very fair and thought out (although you decided to name call me for whatever reason). Others were not so kind to him.

SWTOR is the greatest mmo ever!

  UNH0LYEV1L

Novice Member

Joined: 8/09/09
Posts: 413

1/06/13 9:10:56 AM#46
Yea it was confusing for me.  The pace of the tutorials move to fast and reading walls of text just are boring.  It also doesn't give you the rewards for using the systems right away so you don't really see why your doing what your doing (what impact certain systems have).  I really wanted to become proficient or even master one system before moving to another.  Mostly though I just hated the combat camera angle (how controls changed) and I am not a big fan of asian culture styled MMORPGs.  I give them props though for making a complicated game.  I may pick it up again if I get tired of EVE/TSW.  Deep games are definitly way more fun in the long run.


Spiritsever - AR/Ele - The Secret World
Ashmaker - Ranger < Prophets > - Age of Conan - #1 in Kills
Sweety - Sorceress < Infinite Darkeness > - SWTOR - 2.6K PvP Rating
??? - Pilot - ??? - EVE
Symir - Swordmaster - Warhammer - RR100
Dreadnaught - Rogue - Rift

  Biskop

Novice Member

Joined: 10/06/11
Posts: 731

1/06/13 10:07:28 AM#47
Originally posted by colddog04

In this thread, this is what users were saying about the poster in question:

 

This is nonsense.  He is exaggerating his negative experiences.

Yeah, he's obviously the kind of player who hates PvP but still signs up for an oPvP game, feels horrible when someone kills his pixels, and then has to exaggerate wildly just to feel better about himself.

 

If you are unable to see the attacks on his character for relating his personal experiences, then you are unable to comprehend the reaction. Your personal reaction was very fair and thought out (although you decided to name call me for whatever reason). Others were not so kind to him.

Who cares, this is a forum and if you post bullshit people will call you out.

Too bad if his experience was what he described, but in reality noob ganking is pretty rare in AoW, which is why he was attacked for claiming it's a common thing and that it will be detrimental for people new to the game. 

No need for you to be a white knight about it.

  Mysk

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/18/03
Posts: 982

1/06/13 10:08:11 AM#48
Originally posted by UNH0LYEV1L
Yea it was confusing for me.  The pace of the tutorials move to fast and reading walls of text just are boring.  It also doesn't give you the rewards for using the systems right away so you don't really see why your doing what your doing (what impact certain systems have).  I really wanted to become proficient or even master one system before moving to another.  Mostly though I just hated the combat camera angle (how controls changed) and I am not a big fan of asian culture styled MMORPGs.  I give them props though for making a complicated game.  I may pick it up again if I get tired of EVE/TSW.  Deep games are definitly way more fun in the long run.

I agree, though I haven't experienced the camera issue.  The tutorial pushes the player to joining a school a lot faster than you need to, and then I got stuck joining Wudang because there was no expected exit once I spoke to the first NPC there.  I had assumed that the dialogue option saying that I wanted to join a different school would remain available before I did anything with the head NPC at the school.

Oops... hah.  No such luck.  Next thing I know I'm a Wudang student whether I liked it or not. XD

Anyway I can't complain.  I like the school and the style.


I probably don't follow the threads that I post in. If you want me to see a response then feel free to PM me.

  legendsolo

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/03/11
Posts: 77

1/06/13 10:16:35 AM#49

What bothers me  the most is the lack of progression in gathering skills, there isnt something to work towards.

Been farming the highest crops and mining gold/lead from day one, in EvE as a miner you had to work for your ship and mining skills, you had a goal. im missing the joy of achieving  a goal.

As my time is limited (1hour a day) i havent crafted that much,but im feeling it will be the same. Buy the recipe and materials from a player and use it. To be honest im not seeing the joy in this.

As i havent played that much and my time is limited by the restrictions, im hopping im wrong.

  Mavolence

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/22/05
Posts: 231

1/06/13 12:52:12 PM#50
I like a lot of the features and enjoy the life skills/crafting. What i don't like though and one of the reasons why i won't play is that when you join a school for me it was the royal guard you have to use skills associated with that school or you steal from other schools. Well my problem was that i really don't like any of the weapons in the game i understand its wuxia lore and more martial arts than say a more military style of fighting but man it just annoys me to no end. I can't stand that even though i'm carrying a sword when i push the skill tab for royal guard he whips out this chain whip and spins it around in an aoe im' like O.o. Just don't care for it i guess. Great features great setting just don't like the characters i guess.
  muthax

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/15/05
Posts: 582

1/06/13 12:57:41 PM#51
Originally posted by legendsolo

What bothers me  the most is the lack of progression in gathering skills, there isnt something to work towards.

Been farming the highest crops and mining gold/lead from day one, in EvE as a miner you had to work for your ship and mining skills, you had a goal. im missing the joy of achieving  a goal.

As my time is limited (1hour a day) i havent crafted that much,but im feeling it will be the same. Buy the recipe and materials from a player and use it. To be honest im not seeing the joy in this.

As i havent played that much and my time is limited by the restrictions, im hopping im wrong.

I think you work towards the 'achievements' that they have built in teh game, the ones that give you titles and gear.

Aside from that, you gather either to be a trader or to craft. And mostly craft to make money.

  Sicc1

Novice Member

Joined: 11/12/07
Posts: 240

1/06/13 12:57:54 PM#52
I typically don't play free to play games or Asian themed games at all, usually not my style. After reading about it a but because of all the threads I decided to give it a try. The game is very confusing and deep. I've played about a week and i'm still trying to decide it its the game i'm in love with or if its the fact that I can't stand not knowing how to play it. I really feel like thus us my first time paying an mmo its that different. But none the less I find myself reading about it when i'm not playing and just waiting to get home from work and my kids to go to bed so I can play.

Darkfall - Sick
Earthrise - Sick

  muthax

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/15/05
Posts: 582

1/06/13 12:59:39 PM#53
Originally posted by Mavolence
I like a lot of the features and enjoy the life skills/crafting. What i don't like though and one of the reasons why i won't play is that when you join a school for me it was the royal guard you have to use skills associated with that school or you steal from other schools. Well my problem was that i really don't like any of the weapons in the game i understand its wuxia lore and more martial arts than say a more military style of fighting but man it just annoys me to no end. I can't stand that even though i'm carrying a sword when i push the skill tab for royal guard he whips out this chain whip and spins it around in an aoe im' like O.o. Just don't care for it i guess. Great features great setting just don't like the characters i guess.

I joined teh guards too and had to reroll because I thought the claws were a hand to hand weapon. Rolled a fists only shaolin and  having a blast. <maybe if you tell us what kind of wepon/style you prefer someone can point out a more suitable school

  Mavolence

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/22/05
Posts: 231

1/06/13 1:06:24 PM#54
Originally posted by muthax
Originally posted by Mavolence
I like a lot of the features and enjoy the life skills/crafting. What i don't like though and one of the reasons why i won't play is that when you join a school for me it was the royal guard you have to use skills associated with that school or you steal from other schools. Well my problem was that i really don't like any of the weapons in the game i understand its wuxia lore and more martial arts than say a more military style of fighting but man it just annoys me to no end. I can't stand that even though i'm carrying a sword when i push the skill tab for royal guard he whips out this chain whip and spins it around in an aoe im' like O.o. Just don't care for it i guess. Great features great setting just don't like the characters i guess.

I joined teh guards too and had to reroll because I thought the claws were a hand to hand weapon. Rolled a fists only shaolin and  having a blast.

I really was interested in playing a pike/halberd style character weilding any kind of polearm but i found out the only thing close is staffs. I don't wnat to do hand to hand and i don't wnat wushu style swords or really any of the weapons i've seen so far. I think its just the wuxia style that turns me off. I don't even like any of the jet li or crouching tiger hidden dragon style movies either. I was a huge fan of the romance of the three kingdom novels though and played alot of those games since NES days. Then again it was more military style and not the whole solo martial arts hero that can fly. Wish the features in this game could be put with different characters i suppose.

  FromHell

Novice Member

Joined: 11/10/12
Posts: 1338

1/06/13 1:08:39 PM#55

I find the UI confusing.

 

Seriously this is the first game where the UI and absolute lack of intuitive control are almost killing the fun of an otherwise great game.

 

I hope they trash the UI and start from scratch

Secrets of Dragon´s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s
.


.
The Return of ELITE !

  legendsolo

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/03/11
Posts: 77

1/06/13 1:20:54 PM#56
Originally posted by muthax
Originally posted by legendsolo

What bothers me  the most is the lack of progression in gathering skills, there isnt something to work towards.

Been farming the highest crops and mining gold/lead from day one, in EvE as a miner you had to work for your ship and mining skills, you had a goal. im missing the joy of achieving  a goal.

As my time is limited (1hour a day) i havent crafted that much,but im feeling it will be the same. Buy the recipe and materials from a player and use it. To be honest im not seeing the joy in this.

As i havent played that much and my time is limited by the restrictions, im hopping im wrong.

I think you work towards the 'achievements' that they have built in teh game, the ones that give you titles and gear.

Aside from that, you gather either to be a trader or to craft. And mostly craft to make money.

A title above your head that's it, nothing more.There realy isnt anything to work towards as a non combat player.

  muthax

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/15/05
Posts: 582

1/06/13 1:21:17 PM#57
Originally posted by FromHell

I find the UI confusing.

 

Seriously this is the first game where the UI and absolute lack of intuitive control are almost killing the fun of an otherwise great game.

 

I hope they trash the UI and start from scratch

Unlikely, gaem has been out quite a while in China as it is. Having said that, the UI in teh RU beta works a bit better than the NA one, seems betetr at least. We can hope one publisher works on it but I wouldn't hold out on it.

Having said that, you can fine tune a bit the controlls and interface, to a limit

  muthax

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/15/05
Posts: 582

1/06/13 1:22:39 PM#58
Originally posted by legendsolo
A title above your head that's it, nothing more.There realy isnt anything to work towards as a non combat player.

Well I don't know what the rewards are for higher achievements and as I said you main goal will be the economy. As in EVE after all, no?

  theoccult

Novice Member

Joined: 1/18/08
Posts: 28

1/06/13 6:01:57 PM#59

 

Regarding some of the topics in this thread.

Wuxia style combat:
Complaining about the wuxia style combat in a wuxia style game, to me that's like playing EVE and complaining it has space combat. If you hate brussel sprouts, don't eat them! :P

On having been ganked early on in game:
I made a new character to try out a different school, was ganked as well within the first few hours.  I don't see what the big deal is though.  You die, you respawn and go back to what you were doing. Who cares if there's a debuff, you're in midst of a tutorial, you're not about to take on Jet Li. Though I have to admit, I got a chuckle out of seeing a bounty put up on the same pk'er  a few minutes later and a followed arrest. And while having my morning coffee the next day, the poor schmuck was on the forums crying over still being stuck in jail, awaiting his execution. :P

Advancement of crafting and gathering skill:
It's not just a pretty title above your head as stated, but actually an increase in your success rate when it comes to the gathering professions, and an increase in being able to craft/produce better items as you advance in skill.

Complexity and/or confusion of all the game features:
I think at this point all of us in beta are still learning new things on a day to day basis, which I find refreshing in comparison to the watered down systems in so many of today's games.  The majority of the people I have come across in game are extremely helpful and very social. My advice to new players, glance over some of the guides here and over at the AOW forums, join a guild if you wish, check your school chat tab for info and to ask questions.



 

  GrayKodiak

Novice Member

Joined: 11/15/12
Posts: 576

1/06/13 8:29:40 PM#60
Originally posted by legendsolo
Originally posted by muthax
Originally posted by legendsolo

What bothers me  the most is the lack of progression in gathering skills, there isnt something to work towards.

Been farming the highest crops and mining gold/lead from day one, in EvE as a miner you had to work for your ship and mining skills, you had a goal. im missing the joy of achieving  a goal.

As my time is limited (1hour a day) i havent crafted that much,but im feeling it will be the same. Buy the recipe and materials from a player and use it. To be honest im not seeing the joy in this.

As i havent played that much and my time is limited by the restrictions, im hopping im wrong.

I think you work towards the 'achievements' that they have built in teh game, the ones that give you titles and gear.

Aside from that, you gather either to be a trader or to craft. And mostly craft to make money.

A title above your head that's it, nothing more.There realy isnt anything to work towards as a non combat player.

Many crafting trees proc higher rewards the better you are skilled (and a bit of luck) There is definately a reason to raise the skill and a real market value for having it higher.

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search