Trending Games | ArcheAge | Neverwinter | WildStar | Firefall

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,822,331 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,217,067
Grinding Gear Games | Official Site
Action MMO | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 01/23/13)  | Pub:Grinding Gear Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Path of Exile Forum » General Discussion » I am extremely upset with how terrible the gaming community is...

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
74 posts found
  shamall

Hard Core Member

played: almost every mmo out there

1/27/13 1:47:44 PM#61

Have the devs actually come out and said it was a DDOS attack. It only gets bad during prime time which leads me to believe that their severs simply can't handle the amount of people trying to play.

And for the love of god when will companies learn to put their website on a seperate server from their game so they are not both down at the same time?

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

Vannor

Hard Core Member

1/27/13 1:51:06 PM#62
Originally posted by shamall

Have the devs actually come out and said it was a DDOS attack. It only gets bad during prime time which leads me to believe that their severs simply can't handle the amount of people trying to play.

And for the love of god when will companies learn to put their website on a seperate server from their game so they are not both down at the same time?

Posted earlier by the OP of this thread:

"Path of Exile ‏@Sammosapian We were sent packet logs from our host - it's definitely a DDOS." - direct quote from their twitter.

bliss14

Elite Member

Ahh devil ether.

1/27/13 1:52:23 PM#63
Originally posted by syntax42
Originally posted by Robokapp
I wish OP would stop using the word "kid" when she knows fully well an adult is doing it...

The OP is most likely referring to the maturity level or intelligence of the attacker.

It takes an adult to do real damage to a network.  A DDOS script is easy to run.

Which sucks, how easy it is.  I used to have a Quake 3 server with my clan and if you banned someone with enough know-how we could expect the server to go down for a while.

Thomas2006

Hard Core Member

1/27/13 1:52:34 PM#64

I doubt many people know this but DDOSing someone is a crime that can land you in jail for many years.

In the United Kingdom specifically outlawed denial-of-service attacks and set a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.

Within the US its a federal crime and that can rack you up a few years in jail.

So if someone does threaten to DDOS you while you are streaming. If it all comes from a single IP address (its possible) you can easily trace them back and prosecute them.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Toom316 Streaming: Archeage NA

kjempff

Hard Core Member

Make worlds not stories

1/27/13 1:57:56 PM#65

D? Denial of Service (DDOS) - What does the extra D stand for ?

And why are there no conspiracy theories about it yet ? Yeah it suck, but I don't really see attackers as gaming community.

I switched general chat off after 14 mins, tried to help you some newbies with answers but the chat window just eats up too much of the game windom and my attention. I wish they would fix some of the more basic problems, like the chat window, friendly targeting... anyways, the good stuff is still better than the annoying stuff.

shamall

Hard Core Member

played: almost every mmo out there

1/27/13 2:00:59 PM#66
Originally posted by Vannor
Originally posted by shamall

Posted earlier by the OP of this thread:

"Path of Exile ‏@Sammosapian We were sent packet logs from our host - it's definitely a DDOS." - direct quote from their twitter.

Well then if thats the case,  I wonder what Blizzard has been up to this weekend, nothing I'm sure.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

Damon

Novice Member

1/27/13 2:01:49 PM#67
According to Wikipedia: A distributed denial of service attack (DDoS) occurs when multiple systems flood the bandwidth or resources of a targeted system, usually one or more web servers. This is the result of several compromised systems (for example a botnet) flooding the targeted system(s) with several packets. When a server is overloaded with connections, new connections can no longer be accepted.

Operating System Windows 8 Pro (64-bit)
Motherboard EVGA X58 Classified (Socket LGA1366)
Processor Intel Core i7 960 Bloomfield (3.2Ghz CPUs)
Memory 24GB DDR3 1600 PC3 12800 Triple Channel (G.SKILL Ripjaw)
Video Card EVGA GTX 590 Classified 3GB DDR5
Storage Kingston HyperX 3K SSD (120GB & 480GB)

Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

1/27/13 2:10:00 PM#68
Originally posted by cronius77

this is a issue not just in gaming but in general online period. There is a ton of keyboard warriors out there including on this site as well that deserve to be traced back to where they live and have the holy hell beat out of their face seriously. People have way to much freedom on the net to say the most rude bullying things out there and when they do not get their way they try to ruin everyones lives around them. You cannot even turn on the TV anymore without seeing this happening just about everywhere , people with the net spout out garbage and hurtful things just for lulz. DDOS is just a teen or college kid throwing a temper tantrum and the communities nowadays condon it like all that mess is okay.

the ending of Jay and Silent Bob strikes back brings up a smile seriously here....

One wrong doesn't warrant another.  Little or nothing would be gained by such a course of action.  In fact, it could be *quite* dangerous for all parties concerned.  Goonies will be Goonies.   The best one can do is ignore them (and thus remove some of their reward). If they step far enough out of line (threats or such) screen shot it and send it to the Mods/GM's/Devs.

Puffington

Novice Member

1/27/13 3:08:41 PM#69
Originally posted by kjempff

And why are there no conspiracy theories about it yet ? Yeah it suck, but I don't really see attackers as gaming community.

I switched general chat off after 14 mins, tried to help you some newbies with answers but the chat window just eats up too much of the game windom and my attention. I wish they would fix some of the more basic problems, like the chat window, friendly targeting... anyways, the good stuff is still better than the annoying stuff.

Distributed. Also helps to differentiate from the Operating System.

User Deleted
1/27/13 3:11:32 PM#70
Pretty sure Blizzard is behind the attacks, right guys?
  Banquetto

Novice Member

1/27/13 3:11:46 PM#71

Originally posted by Purutzil
I blame Diablo 3 people in denail a good ARPG can exist and decide to feel the need to DDoS it in hopes it is stopped in fear it will over-take their game they spent so much time on.

Perfect example right here of "how terrible the gaming community is".

I must have /ignored a few hundred people in PoE already for showing off their hipster credentials by saying how much D3 sucks. General chat is actually pretty good now, it's mostly new players asking genuine questions and getting good answers.

User Deleted
1/28/13 11:26:56 AM#72
The global chat in this game is horrnedous, its nothing but a "Diablo 3 sucks" circle jerk. Reminds me of the guys hanging out in the SWTOR forums, whom hate that game so much that they have been spending more THAN A YEAR now, bitching and moaning on how that game ruined their life. Seriously, that's a year shaved off their lives, spent crying about a mere videogame. It's pathetic.  

Some gamers need to learn how to move on. Feels like I'm hanging around a bunch of entitled teenagers whom don't know what real problems are...which may infact be the case.  
  MortisRex

Novice Member

1/28/13 11:46:22 AM#73

The extra D stands for distributed, as in originating from multiple IPs so you can't block the offenders ip. 

syntax42

Elite Member

1/28/13 4:57:48 PM#74
Originally posted by MortisRex

The extra D stands for distributed, as in originating from multiple IPs so you can't block the offenders ip. 

It means the attacker is using a script which commands other computers to attack a target.  This makes it very hard to trace the origination point of the attack because the originator does not need to communicate with the target.  One popular method of setting this up is to infect people's computers with a trojan or other malware.  Plenty of people still use Internet Explorer and get infected through flash-based ads.  The malware then "listens" on an IRC channel (or other simple chat channel) for the command to attack a target.  

That's where the extra D comes from, and what it means by "distributed" attack.  Commanding hundreds of computers to exploit something which causes extra CPU load on a router, switch, or server is much more effective than trying to send out packets to flood someone's down-stream by yourself.  

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search