Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Heroes of the Storm | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,643,937 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,077,600
Grinding Gear Games | Play Now
Action MMO | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 01/23/13)  | Pub:Grinding Gear Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Path of Exile Forum » General Discussion » PoE the best ARPG, not a MMO.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
60 posts found
  Dantae87

Novice Member

OP  1/28/13 10:55:09 AM#1

PoE is not a MMO! In no way shape or form! A MMO is a game where u can play with thousands and thousands of ppl at once. PoE does not have this! Towns do not count they are considered lobby's and by that extent any game with a online lobby shud be considered a MMO, such as Warcraft 3, SC2, SMITE or CoD....

GET THIS IN YOUR THICK SKULLS PPL! Im sick of hearing every day for almost every Hr that this game is a MMO or it isn't a MMO in General. Groupe consist of 6 PPL MAX! MAX! that barly makes it a online game for Christ sakes!

PoE IS NOT A MMO!

Definition of a mmo taken off of wiki:

1. (video games) A massively multiplayer online game. A computer game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world.
2. (colloquial) A massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

BeansnBread

Elite Member

1/28/13 10:58:37 AM#2
Genre outrage. The lowest of all the outrages.

SWTOR is the greatest mmo ever!

bartoni33

Elite Member

Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations

1/28/13 11:05:53 AM#3

Pretty sure no one is calling this a MMO. It's obviously not one. But this site needs all the hits it can muster so they added any game that has more than just yourself in it.

Be calm, no one thinks this is a MMO.

User Deleted
1/28/13 11:07:47 AM#4
I'm not so sure it can claim the best arpg title just yet either...
  Dantae87

Novice Member

OP  1/28/13 11:09:22 AM#5

Rusque

Elite Member

1/28/13 11:18:05 AM#6
Originally posted by Dantae87

PoE is not a MMO! In no way shape or form! A MMO is a game where u can play with thousands and thousands of ppl at once. PoE does not have this! Towns do not count they are considered lobby's and by that extent any game with a online lobby shud be considered a MMO, such as Warcraft 3, SC2, SMITE or CoD....

GET THIS IN YOUR THICK SKULLS PPL! Im sick of hearing every day for almost every Hr that this game is a MMO or it isn't a MMO in General. Groupe consist of 6 PPL MAX! MAX! that barly makes it a online game for Christ sakes!

PoE IS NOT A MMO!

1. (video games) A massively multiplayer online game. A computer game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world.

I didn't really think PoE was a MMO, but after reading the definition, I now have a feeling that it is a MMO.

I do love how you throw out the bit about groups being limited to 6 as a reason it's not massive. No where does MMO reflect the number of people in a group, it says simultaneously interacting in a persistent world.

The world is persistent - Check.

Large number of players interacting simulatneously - Check.

No where does it state that this "large" number of players must be intereacting while in the same group, it simply says that they are interacting in some way in the same world. If 2000 people are playing, 1000 of them are participating in groups, 500 are trading in the city hub and 500 are solo'ing . . . then it's a MMO by the definition.

And "large" seems very arbitrary. What is large? 6 players is small to you, is 20 large enough to be large? 40? 500? 10,000? Or does large only begin to occur when your PC can no longer render all the objects without crashing? Maybe server side?

hraeth

Novice Member

1/28/13 11:18:52 AM#7

How many players do I need to be able to interact with simultaneously for a game to be an MMO?  In WoW I most commonly interacted with 5 in instance runs.  Once in a while I even interacted with 25.  25 is hardly a "massive number". 

Now when you're talking about ability to interact I assume you are NOT simply talking about being in the same zone together because in that case Orgrimmar and Dalaran were nothing more than lobbies just like the towns in path of exile.  I suppose if you're talking open world pvp then we've finally reached a level of potentially "massive" interaction that PoE lacks.

If interaction is defined by a persons ability to chat and trade however then we certianly have massive (if somewhat troll-y) interaction on PoE.

Definitions evolve as genres evolve.  I can interact through chat and through grouping with a massive number (M) of other players (M), the game is online (O), and the game is an ARPG.  M... M... O... ARPG.

FARGIN_WAR

Novice Member

1/28/13 11:19:29 AM#8

Well I never really gave a damn what PoE was classified as until now. Since you feel the need to make your point in a somewhat abusive manner, from now on I will think of PoE as nothing else except an MMO.

I say we start a campaign to get PoE voted as an official MMO on these forums. Who's with me?

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

Dantae87

Novice Member

OP  1/28/13 11:29:31 AM#9
Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR

Well I never really gave a damn what PoE was classified as until now. Since you feel the need to make your point in a somewhat abusive manner, from now on I will think of PoE as nothing else except an MMO.

I say we start a campaign to get PoE voted as an official MMO on these forums. Who's with me?

woudnt shock me D3 is on here....might as well add CoD, BF3 and SC2 to the list

Myrdynn

Advanced Member

1/28/13 11:33:32 AM#10

those games arent about persistent chars.

D3, POE are both MMO's to me, dont really care what others say

hell I have had more interaction with the "world" of POE then I did in the last 2 years I played WOW

Bossalinie

Apprentice Member

1/28/13 11:35:51 AM#11
Originally posted by Myrdynn

those games arent about persistent chars.

D3, POE are both MMO's to me, dont really care what others say

hell I have had more interaction with the "world" of POE then I did in the last 2 years I played WOW

CoD and BF3 have persistent characters...and they both interact with more people at a time than PoE and D3

Fendel84M

Defender of Worlds

I actually still like MMORPGs

1/28/13 11:41:52 AM#12

I think its a dangerous classification. Only because it makes it harder to tell what type of game we are looking at. I see "Action MMORPG" advertised and think oh that sounds interesting. Only to find out its an ARPG with static characters no customization and heavy heavy instancing outside of towns.

If PoE is an MMO it has the worst character customization ever.

Every Templar looks exactly the same! Can't even pick gender...

JimmyYO

Advanced Member

1/28/13 11:43:08 AM#13

I've played both PoE and Diablo 3 to the end and I have to say PoE is overhyped to the extreme. There is more longevity to it and you feel like theres a point to your efforts but i find the game lacking something important. Fun.

Too many of the skills suck to both use and look at. If you watch alot of streamers you end up using maybe 3 or 4 abilities at most, mostly just spamming 1 or 2. They need to upgrade alot of the skills both mechanically and visually or the game gets boring very quick. That said it's still beta and the game has great potential, but then again so did D3.

Laughing-man

Elite Member

I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those Deaf-mutes.

1/28/13 11:44:09 AM#14

PoE IS NOT A MMO!

Sorry, you probably weren't around when Diablo was released.  It was considered an MMO back when it first came out and the only other games out were UO and Meridian and NWN.

As PoE is literally a next gen Diablo type game, it too is an MMO.

Its nice that you think you are some how the definition police :-)

Laughing-man

Elite Member

I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those Deaf-mutes.

1/28/13 11:44:58 AM#15

Except they are not... RPGs!

Heh....

I wonder if the OP actually reads what they say....

Sidad

Novice Member

1/28/13 11:45:56 AM#16
One of the best FTP massive multiplayer online game out there. :P
  FARGIN_WAR

Novice Member

1/28/13 2:44:40 PM#17

Oh I don't know. I'd rather come to one site for info and discussions on all  the games I play instead of having to join several.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

1/28/13 3:00:11 PM#18
Originally posted by bartoni33

Pretty sure no one is calling this a MMO. It's obviously not one. But this site needs all the hits it can muster so they added any game that has more than just yourself in it.

Be calm, no one thinks this is a MMO.

I could name one who would insist it was

Vyeth

Hard Core Member

Celebrated pariah of MMORPG.com

1/28/13 3:02:56 PM#19

Add guilds.. Add keeps.. Add seiges.. And viola!

Got yourself an MMO tag in an ARPG..

Give birth to the MMOARPG genre!!! BRILLIANT!

User Deleted
1/28/13 3:08:04 PM#20

I know I shouldn't stereotype people, but when I see someone post "It's not an MMO! Why is it on this site???"...I can't help but classify that person as a "pinhead".

Don't be a pinhead.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search