Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,645,856 Users Online:0
Games:687  Posts:6,084,972
Square Enix | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 10/28/03)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$09.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Playstation 2 XBox 360 | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Final Fantasy XI Forum » The Airship (General) » What is so GOOD about the Final Fantasy games?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
28 posts found
  Demalis

Novice Member

5/28/13 10:14:58 PM#21
wow I have been playing ff games since they came to northam, I stopped when I went pc I think it was around ff9. But reading the posts in this thread, has got me thinking I might try out aar, ff is definitely a classic in the rpg genre. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.
  deerstop

Novice Member

7/23/13 6:24:52 AM#22

I liked most of FF games, with FF8 being my favourite. They're the ultimate and best (imo) jrpgs on the market. I usually like the plot, pacing, atmosphere, music and game-play (esp turn-based fights, I also loved complex character development system in FF10). Graphics of every game was indeed superior in comparison to other games of that time. Recent FF games - meh...

kyssari

Apprentice Member

"Reality is but a figment of our collective imaginations." -N.E.S.

7/23/13 6:33:19 AM#23

Most of the posters here pretty much nailed it on the head. Personally the Final Fantasy 2 and 3 (american releases) on the SNES were my alltime favorite but I also enjoyed 7 9 and 10 a lot as well. The single player ones that came after 10 (12 and 14) were extremely blah in my opinion.

I been a big mmo player for a long time as well but I never did try FF11 out, I was pretty much stuck on original EQ for the longest time then most unfortunately WoW for far to long :\ I did have the chance to try out FF14 ARR during the latest closed beta testing phase and did actually have a lot of fun with it, just don't see it being worth a sub so much with todays mmo market, theres so much else thats just as good or better out there that are all b2p or f2p with good business models. If you don't mind paying the sub though the graphics are great, the storytelling is great as always, the class system is good with the job system, and crafting/harvesting is a lot of fun being its more indepth and involving than your standard mindless click a recipe and click craft and your done system.

tommygunzII

Novice Member

8/03/13 7:13:14 PM#24

I could write a book about what made FFXI the greatest game I have ever played. I don't have time for that and I hate that some of you didn't get to experience it. Aside from what you can find on wiki and reading others thoughts about the game, I will leave these here. This along with hundreds of other things I loved about FFXI. 

Wish I knew how to embed videos here.

http://youtu.be/iesY1XssACM

http://youtu.be/kzrmwcSizIY

loopback1199

Elite Member

8/03/13 7:20:41 PM#25
FF 1-7 were the best of all time. FFX+ I could easily have lived happier without ever hearing about, let alone trying. But I did try and the whole feel of Final Fantasy was lacking for me. Especially in FFX when they started using a goddamn volleyball as a weapon lol
  tommygunzII

Novice Member

8/03/13 7:38:00 PM#26

Here is my favorite video. Pretty much FFXI in a nutshell. Enjoy :)

http://youtu.be/yVYhcXmXSB0

Zenislav

Advanced Member

8/03/13 8:06:17 PM#27

I will start with saying dont play any FF games now. Open Beta for Realm Reborn starts in around 6 days with early aces in 15 days. Unless you have free time to just play games you wont get much story from them. I played and finished FF 1-3, 7 and 9 so can say that this games consume loads of time. Besides combat in FF games is turn based while this is standard mmo.

But i can write you why you should give Realm Reborn a try. At least what lured me in, since nothing else is worth playing for me atm:

1) P2P game meaning there is no crapy in game shop (my opinion) what i hate more than bad hangover.

2) Story driven MMO. After all that is kinda trademark of FF games, good story.

3) Naoki Yoshida (RR Director) is huge fan of DaoC MMO, game that had best MMO PvP for me and so far what i read they plan to add massive 3 way PvP battles to RR not long after it releases. With "arena" style pvp at launch.

4) Beautiful world that sucks you in. You get feeling that you belong to this world and can easely get lost in it rather than boring copy / paste maps with some rocks / trees thrown here and there.

5) PvE end game looks very healthy, in sense that there will be lot to do.  Check a bit on forums there are posts about it. 

6) Seems like there will be player housing. Little piece for you.

7) Amazing crafting

8) Interesting class / job system also allowing you to level all classes on just one character.

9) Chocobos (FF animals) will be used for other thing and not just as mounts. You will be able to equip them with various armors and do battles with other players. Need to get more info on this myself. Also there are more mount types, just that chocobos will be used for something else aswell.

10) Hamlet defense - 3 types of this events that will span through days. Preparing for battle and battle itself. Will post link, it is easiest to explain that way :)

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/hamletdef01.html

Aaaaaand number 11)

I think that Square Enix after Blizzard is only company that is investing its own money in such a big MMO project. Meaning there are no investors on their neck demanding money. This was downfall of some MMOs that had great ideas. For Realm Reborn this means that there is huge chance for it to grow in amazing game with updates and aditions in future creating game that has potential to live a long time and be interesting.

etc

This are some that came to my mind but there are more, google a bit.

For me it was enough to preorder it. Standard MMO that feels like I can sunk in it and have loads fun. To be honest there is nothing else currently worth playing for me. 

Hope I will again see random smile on my face while playing computer game like I used to get.

Edit: Tried to make this wall of text a bit more enjoyable to look at...

Foomerang

Hard Core Member

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

8/03/13 8:13:34 PM#28

Well its been around for about 25 years so it has the whole iconic thing going for it.

The music is good.
The characters are memorable.
The artwork and settings are cool.
The storylines are dramatic.
Itemization/customization is deep.
The side games, mini games are fun.

If you thought the events were dynamic, you'll think the stories are living.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search