Trending Games | Swordsman | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,921 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,175,853
Square Enix | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 10/28/03)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$09.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Playstation 2 XBox 360 | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Final Fantasy XI Forum » The Airship (General) » Anyone want to play?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
27 posts found
  Dfix

Novice Member

7/30/12 8:21:19 AM#21

I have been playing FFXI for a while now. Started to play a little before the great Christmas of 2005 (some of you may know what I mean). I also play FFXIV. been playing since beta off and on. Out of the two I have to say that I play FFXI the most. It is by far one of the easiest games for me to pick up and play now.

Frankly, anyone who bitches about abyssea ruining the game never played through it. It has become a means to get your Empy armor and weapons and not much else. I can understand some peoples complaints about leveling but you can still level the old school way, solo, books (without burns), and then of course abyssea. They have also adjusted the XP outside abyssea. Abyssea is all but abandoned since most have from it what they need. There is quite a bit of new content coming through the pipes as far as dungeons and other things. You also have the additions of Neo Nyzul, new Limbus, Neo Dynamis, Viodwatch, Legion and more...

Saying that Abyssea made noobs is partially correct but I knew a lot of level 75 players who sucked at their jobs back before abyssea came out. Leveling does not teach you shit about how your job operates at endgame. Everyone knows that.

I can say that if you want to come back and play FFXI, now is the time. Come back, play through the content and see for yourself. Coming here and asking a bunch of people that don't play anymore about what has been going on or if you should come back is a huge mistake. Most of them just cry about Abyssea and are clueless as to what the game is like now.

Take it from me, a person who has played through all of the content and still plays today. The game is most definitely worth playing.

Vivik-Cerberus

Seilan

Apprentice Member

"Blue, blue."

7/30/12 4:04:55 PM#22
Originally posted by Dfix

I have been playing FFXI for a while now. Started to play a little before the great Christmas of 2005 (some of you may know what I mean). I also play FFXIV. been playing since beta off and on. Out of the two I have to say that I play FFXI the most. It is by far one of the easiest games for me to pick up and play now.

Frankly, anyone who bitches about abyssea ruining the game never played through it. It has become a means to get your Empy armor and weapons and not much else. I can understand some peoples complaints about leveling but you can still level the old school way, solo, books (without burns), and then of course abyssea. They have also adjusted the XP outside abyssea. Abyssea is all but abandoned since most have from it what they need. There is quite a bit of new content coming through the pipes as far as dungeons and other things. You also have the additions of Neo Nyzul, new Limbus, Neo Dynamis, Viodwatch, Legion and more...

Saying that Abyssea made noobs is partially correct but I knew a lot of level 75 players who sucked at their jobs back before abyssea came out. Leveling does not teach you shit about how your job operates at endgame. Everyone knows that.

I can say that if you want to come back and play FFXI, now is the time. Come back, play through the content and see for yourself. Coming here and asking a bunch of people that don't play anymore about what has been going on or if you should come back is a huge mistake. Most of them just cry about Abyssea and are clueless as to what the game is like now.

Take it from me, a person who has played through all of the content and still plays today. The game is most definitely worth playing.

If the game has in fact changed as much as you say, then great - I might actually consider giving it a go again since I happen to have an unused copy of the "Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition" collecting virtual dust. You can't really blame people for feeling they way they do though, or being skeptical about the game finally taking a turn away from Abyssea, with the way it's been exploited over the years.

Then of course, there's the triviality of leveling in the game since many people have been able to max out every job in a relatively short period of time, thanks to Abyssea/burning. For many of us, the journey is the most important part, and with the current system being so easily exploitable, it pretty much kills that portion of the game. Sure, we can opt to level the old fashioned way, but that's not exactly easy to do in a group-centric game, where most players are inevitably going to take the path of least resistance. In other words, the devs set the rate of leveling progression in this game, and as leveling hella fast is well within the confines of legitimacy, the majority will continue to progress that way, and the few of us who want to level the old fashioned way will be left to struggle our way through the game.

Don't get me wrong. I hated being forced to group back in the day to do anything, nor do I think that having it take months upon months to reach max level was optimal, but I don't think allowing someone to gain like 30 levels or more in a couple of hours was the way to go about fixing those inherent issues. The game was made more accessible to solo players and small groups, and that's a start, but it should have been taken even farther. The original "grind" in the game should have been made more enjoyable and fluid, rather than making it completely trivial instead. 

Long story short, I'd just like the leveling process to be given some kind of importance again, and if they could have made it more fun and less of an actual grind, I think that would have been the best course of action. With the way it is now, they might as well start everyone off at level 75, and let them go from there.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. If the game really is finally making a change for the better, that's awesome and I'll definitely consider giving it another go. If I can find some like-minded people along the way that also want to play in a more slow-paced, smell-the-roses kind of way, even better.

Thanks for the insight.

FlawSGI

Hard Core Member

All of history is a lie. The truth depends on who does the listening, and who does the telling...

7/30/12 4:17:11 PM#23
Originally posted by alacres

If the game has in fact changed as much as you say, then great - I might actually consider giving it a go again since I happen to have an unused copy of the "Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition" collecting virtual dust. You can't really blame people for feeling they way they do though, or being skeptical about the game finally taking a turn away from Abyssea, with the way it's been exploited over the years.

Then of course, there's the triviality of leveling in the game since many people have been able to max out every job in a relatively short period of time, thanks to Abyssea/burning. For many of us, the journey is the most important part, and with the current system being so easily exploitable, it pretty much kills that portion of the game. Sure, we can opt to level the old fashioned way, but that's not exactly easy to do in a group-centric game, where most players are inevitably going to take the path of least resistance. In other words, the devs set the rate of leveling progression in this game, and as leveling hella fast is well within the confines of legitimacy, the majority will continue to progress that way, and the few of us who want to level the old fashioned way will be left to struggle our way through the game.

Don't get me wrong. I hated being forced to group back in the day to do anything, nor do I think that having it take months upon months to reach max level was optimal, but I don't think allowing someone to gain like 30 levels or more in a couple of hours was the way to go about fixing those inherent issues. The game was made more accessible to solo players and small groups, and that's a start, but it should have been taken even farther. The original "grind" in the game should have been made more enjoyable and fluid, rather than making it completely trivial instead. 

Long story short, I'd just like the leveling process to be given some kind of importance again, and if they could have made it more fun and less of an actual grind, I think that would have been the best course of action. With the way it is now, they might as well start everyone off at level 75, and let them go from there.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. If the game really is finally making a change for the better, that's awesome and I'll definitely consider giving it another go. If I can find some like-minded people along the way that also want to play in a more slow-paced, smell-the-roses kind of way, even better.

Thanks for the insight.

And this is exactly the point being discussed. The op was looking for people to play, not come in here and tell others why this is a mistake or people coming in here telling those peole why they are wrong. Listing the key concerns, the ability to find other to group with for leveling content, was not a criticism of the game although it seems some have jumped to the games defence  a little to quickly. You pretty much said all that needs to be said onthe matter and going back to my first post on the topic, if there were others doing this I would come back in a second because this was one of my faveorite games. As it stands now for me, or at least the last time I played, I cannot get groups because they are either maxed, or do not want to level the traditional way and are only interested in getting to level cap. As a fresh start this makes the game a huge turnoff is all.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Brimstonelov

Novice Member

7/30/12 5:01:09 PM#24

Just restarted my FFXI account a short time back, I've been reliving the old days of playing!  Solo, though.

It's still a fantastic game.

If everyone decides to play anew, please let me know!  I'd be willing to start an new toon, or perhaps transfer my account.

;)

postpwn

Novice Member

11/14/12 11:53:23 AM#25

I'm updating FFXI via PlayOnline Viewer as we speak.  I'll be in Vana'diel soon.  This is my 10th time returning.  

Let's play!

k11keeper

Apprentice Member

"" "" "" ""

11/14/12 3:28:18 PM#26
Originally posted by FlawSGI

And this is exactly the point being discussed. The op was looking for people to play, not come in here and tell others why this is a mistake or people coming in here telling those peole why they are wrong. Listing the key concerns, the ability to find other to group with for leveling content, was not a criticism of the game although it seems some have jumped to the games defence  a little to quickly. You pretty much said all that needs to be said onthe matter and going back to my first post on the topic, if there were others doing this I would come back in a second because this was one of my faveorite games. As it stands now for me, or at least the last time I played, I cannot get groups because they are either maxed, or do not want to level the traditional way and are only interested in getting to level cap. As a fresh start this makes the game a huge turnoff is all.

You're not finding people who want to lvl in the tradition way because most of them have been there and done that. If I had to crab burn my way to 75 again I would have quit after a few days. As far as what the other people have said I agree. Abyssea now is just where you farm empyreans, kinda like dynamis is where you farm relics. There is plenty of other stuff to do now. You can do legion, voidwatch, neo nyzule, neo limbus, meeble burrows, and soon neo salvage. Yes a lot of that is old content updated for the 99 cap but it's still fun. If that stuff isn't your cup of tea you can still find challenges low manning old content or even soloing some of it.

I have found on forums and moresoe in game that the people that tend to complain about abyssea the most are the people that haven't even finished it and didn't get participate in it when it was new. What many people fail to realize and say that it made noobs, is that a lot of that stuff was hard at first. Yeah briarius, glavoid, and other zone bosses/empy weapon NMs are super easy now but that wasn't the case at 80, 85, 90 cap. So now that the cap is 99 it's just another form of farming/low manning stuff.

Also people wanting to rush to lvl cap is nothing new at all. Its just a lot faster now. Instead of whining about how nobody wants to join you in your lolcrab/bird parties just get to the cap and join in all the fun most other people are having in the game nowadays.

humper

Novice Member

11/22/12 4:58:58 AM#27

I personally still play FFXI and still since the begining, now alot of people who've played the game and quit, come on  to these sites either to bash the game or talk about how it was and use too be.... yes there where some positive sides to the game in the begining but like all other great MMORPG's, it doesnt last. The reason behind the changes where for starters the populations was droping faster than a turd in a punch bowl. Second inorder to bring and stablize the popluation to not abandon the game they needed to make dramatic changes. I believe they were postive while still keep true to the core of the game play style and story lore.

This game will not die out, I'm pretty sure of it the community is unrelenting and unwavering in it's style, lore and entertainment. The community still continues to be the best I believe in he world of MMO gaming. Very helpful, friendly, adventuring and most importantly MATURE.

Honestly I've played a fair share of other mmorpg's during my subcription with FFXI and to tell you nothing compare with it in storlore and community.  You'll enjoy yourself on it, once you find a great linkshell and there's plenty of people who are willing to hand you one.

Have A Happy Thanksgiving

2 Pages « 1 2 Search