Trending Games | World of Warcraft | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,365 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,049
Above and Beyond Technologies | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Above and Beyond Technologies
Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Repopulation Forum » General Discussion » Wait. Hero Engine?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
53 posts found
  Lasterba

Advanced Member

2/16/14 7:48:48 PM#41
Originally posted by bubaluba
TESO use the same engine

TESO does NOT use the Hero Engine.  ZOS used Hero Engine to develop conceptual ideas while creating their own engine for TESO.  Common misconception.

Personally, I have vowed to never play another MMO that uses Hero Engine.  It is a piece of shit.

Cymdai

Novice Member

It's my job to be objective, it's my right to have an opinion.

2/24/14 12:55:03 PM#42

SWtoR didn't fail because of performance.

SWtoR failed because it was a blatant WoW clone that offered no innovation to gameplay, lacked balance of any kind, and was essentially a single player RPG forced into an MMORPG's pajamas. If SWtoR had simply been KotoR 3 with limited multiplayer, it could have been an entirely different game with entirely different results. But it wasn't. It was the same monotonous formulaic MMO we've seen released for the past 5 years. The difference was that they had the budget, the personnel, and the time-table to make something that other studios can't, and they didn't. That was what I always attributed nearly all of the SWtoR hate to.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

Betaguy

Advanced Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

2/24/14 12:56:26 PM#43
Originally posted by Mkilbride

The same Engine as SWTOR, the same Engine that BioWares lead director said was the cause of the massive cost in SWTOR, and the reason for so many of their issues?

http://raidwarning.com/bioware-creative-director-details-swtor-development-issues/

That is scary, and off-putting.

The only other(released) MMORPG to use this engine, was shut down within a year of release. The Engine itself also has dubious origins, with being created in the early 90's for a MMO that was pushed back to 2009, then eventually cancelled and the assets sold off, including the Engine.

Hmm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faxion_Online

Other MMO's that announced to be using the Engine have either halted production or have extended their release dates indefinitely.

Seems like the Engine has a bad history.  Also, 99$ a year license fee...rather cheap.

Released

Unreleased

• Hero's Journey - company's game the engine was developed for (Game never released)
  • Dominus - (On hold)
  • <a href="http://www.dominusthegame.com/" rel="nofollow" data-cke-saved-href="http://www.dominusthegame.com/" text"=""> Trials of Ascension - Forged Chaos          (On hold)

Not a promising history. Concerns me greatly.

SWTOR is not even a hero engine, they stripped it down and had it reworked so much you can't even call it a hero engine any longer.

PeZzy

Apprentice Member

3/02/14 10:36:23 PM#44
Originally posted by Lasterba
TESO use the same engine

TESO does NOT use the Hero Engine.  ZOS used Hero Engine to develop conceptual ideas while creating their own engine for TESO.  Common misconception.

Personally, I have vowed to never play another MMO that uses Hero Engine.  It is a piece of shit.

The funny thing is that TESO plays just like a Hero engine game. Also, their relative short development time seems to indicate they didn't need to do much work on an engine. I believe their comments about it not being the Hero Engine are just PR.

Mtibbs1989

Hard Core Member

3/02/14 11:28:33 PM#45
Originally posted by Loktofeit
Originally posted by timtrack
So you're an elite member with 345 posts that missed every single topic about Hero Engine since SWTOR released?

Personally, I don't expect anyone under the age of 25 to know what research is, let alone do it, so posts like the OP seem rather normal these days.

Hey now, I take offense to that!

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Incomparable

Advanced Member

3/02/14 11:40:11 PM#46
Originally posted by Caldrin

The hero engine is a perfectly good engine..

Those two games you listed had two issues in common..

Both had never made a MMORPG before..

as for heroes journey and Dominus..

I guess they stopped developing Heroes Journey because they thought they could make more money selling the engine.. they where probably right.

Dominus.. well i alpha tested this one weekend and it was pretty solid then.. 100s of people in the same area just running around with some PVP and missions.. I guess they must have run out of cash,

Now the guys behind The Repopulation have never made one either but.. they are taking their time, talking to people, getting lots of info out there about the game, publishing alpha patch notes and so on.. From what I have seen from videos and interviews The Repopulation is the only game im looking forward to this year.

At the end of the day a lot of people jumped onto the Hero engine back when you could get a server for free and thought it would be easy to make an MMO.. they then realized that was not the case and quit or put he project on hold.. Take a look at the unity engine and the amount of projects that have been started and put on hold with that.. it does not mean its a bad engine.

Also yes hero engine is $99 a year but that does not get you access to the source code plus when you do release the game they take 30% of your profits as well... so its not that cheap.. Unity is cheaper as its 100% free if you want the basic version.

Maybe the real problem with swtor was the 30% royalties and them intentionally changing their engine code with the intent of making it different enough rather than more efficient.

As if hero engine creators would have the audacity to sue a developer of a sw game from a very beloved Group of devs at the time BW. They could have gotten away with copying the hero engine and avoiding the royalties, because they were too big to be brought down by some no name engine makers.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

JC-Smith

Elite Member

3/03/14 12:44:13 AM#47

I just had a few comments here with regards to Hero Engine. The $99 and 30% royalties deal is a relatively new thing. At the time when Bioware licensed Hero Engine it wasn't really an engine that was being built as a licensed engine, it was being built for Heroes' Journey and in an unfinished state. When we licensed hero engine the price was $5000 + 15% royalties. I can't tell you what the full license price is because I don't know, but I'd guess it was in the $750k range for no royalties. I believe what happened is that they realized that many indie developers wanted to work with the engine but $5k was a lot of money for more casual people to scrape together. So they instituted the $99 + 30% plan. There is also currently a $75k + 7.5% royalties plan, and a buy out option for $100k if you start on a 30% plan and then want to move to a full source license before shipping.

In my opinion Hero Engine has been a great thing for the scene. It is a good engine for what it does: make MMOs. The problem is, it's hard work to make an MMO. It's easy to underestimate the amount of work that goes into it and that's why so many projects start and then never reach significant development. It's really no different than what we saw with Torque, Unity, and more recently UDK and Bigworld. Something like 90% of indie products will never get close to complete as a result of this, even small scale single player games have this same issue. It's magnified with MMOs because they are so much larger projects. The tools are out there though now to give indies a fighting chance, and that's all they can ask for. The rest is up to them.

rawfox

Hard Core Member

3/04/14 7:11:02 AM#48

The problem i see with the Hero engine, is the reduced number of players it can serve in one instance.

Digeios

Novice Member

3/04/14 11:24:34 AM#49
Originally posted by rawfox

The problem i see with the Hero engine, is the reduced number of players it can serve in one instance.

Are u taking ur experience from SWTOR to make this statement or do you have any technical experiences with the HE itself or engines in general?
  JC-Smith

Elite Member

3/04/14 11:38:41 PM#50
I don't think a reduced number of players is really an issue. In TOR's case where you ran into problems was Ilum and that was rendering related and not network related.
  Emmer4

Apprentice Member

4/08/14 9:08:21 AM#51
TESO use the same engine

ESO does use the Hero Engine.

Which is why when you fire the game up one of the splash screens you see says "Powered by Hero Engine".

Retired

Apprentice Member

4/08/14 7:06:57 PM#52
TESO use the same engine

It does use HeroEngine, installed the game and it says "Powered By HeroEngine" when installing. One thing is for sure, we now know to put you on our ignore list for not speaking the truth.

jfarque

Novice Member

4/17/14 5:06:25 PM#53
TESO use the same engine

Just plain weird that it says Hero Engine when it boots.

Weird.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search