Trending Games | ArcheAge | Trove | WildStar | Forsaken Uprising

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,870,252 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,253,596
Above and Beyond Technologies | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2014)  | Pub:Above and Beyond Technologies
Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Repopulation Forum » General Discussion » Haven't been this excited

4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » Search
73 posts found
  xpiher

Novice Member

OP  1/06/14 5:22:21 AM#1
About an MMORPG since the feature list of DFO was first released. Only thing that came close was ArchAge. Please plesae let this game be as good as it sounds on papers and be as good as it looks in the alpha videos. Even if its half as good I'll be drooling. 

Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

Gintoh

Advanced Member

1/06/14 2:53:48 PM#2
Temper your excitement, MMO's never live up to expectations, ever.
  sacredfool

Hard Core Member

1/06/14 2:56:21 PM#3

While I am not going to go as far as others on this forum to claim doom and gloom, the first thing that came to mind is this:

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

Gintoh

Advanced Member

1/06/14 3:07:31 PM#4
I dunno, everytime there is an indie sandbox that promises the world it's turned out to be a pie in the sky fantasy. Except for Eve 11 years ago.
  Holophonist

Hard Core Member

1/06/14 4:33:32 PM#5

Yeah I'm pretty pumped as well. It's true that MMOs often end up disappointing, but not many claim to specifically be like a mix between shadowbane and SWG. And not many release such comprehensive updates every month.

One thing that has put a damper on my excitement a bit is that there will be very little penalty on death. There will be a hardcore server, but it seems like the game is designed in one way and one way only. Tacking on something to appease a playerbase is probably going to end up not working out very well.

Burntvet

Hard Core Member

1/06/14 4:42:02 PM#6
Originally posted by Holophonist

Yeah I'm pretty pumped as well. It's true that MMOs often end up disappointing, but not many claim to specifically be like a mix between shadowbane and SWG. And not many release such comprehensive updates every month.

One thing that has put a damper on my excitement a bit is that there will be very little penalty on death. There will be a hardcore server, but it seems like the game is designed in one way and one way only. Tacking on something to appease a playerbase is probably going to end up not working out very well.

As big a problem or bigger is that it will be F2P. F2P seems to bring out bad game mechanics and worse communities.

That does not sit at all well with many MMO (and especially sandbox) veterans.

In fact, it has killed any enthusiasm I had for this title.

DamonVile

Hard Core Member

1/06/14 4:42:53 PM#7
The title of this thread is just begging to be trolled :)
  Holophonist

Hard Core Member

1/06/14 4:47:43 PM#8
Originally posted by Burntvet

As big a problem or bigger is that it will be F2P. F2P seems to bring out bad game mechanics and worse communities.

Yeah a lot of people feel that way. I'm not really worried about it to be honest. I think most F2P games end up bad but were also just always going to be bad. I can't think of many promising games that ended up being bad because they were F2P. Also, PoE is F2P and it has no problems. The Repop guys have said that it won't be P2W and that the only in-game stuff you can buy is cosmetic.

StarI

Advanced Member

1/06/14 5:04:42 PM#9
Originally posted by Gintoh
I dunno, everytime there is an indie sandbox that promises the world it's turned out to be a pie in the sky fantasy. Except for Eve 11 years ago.

You mean today, because EvE 11y ago was a pie on the sky, but a few good minds kept working on it and eventually made a good game out of it.

StarI

Advanced Member

1/06/14 5:08:44 PM#10
Originally posted by Gintoh
Temper your excitement, MMO's never live up to expectations, ever.

Ofc they do, just depends on ones mind(set).

Gintoh

Advanced Member

1/06/14 6:14:49 PM#11
deleted.
  xpiher

Novice Member

OP  1/08/14 6:52:12 AM#12
Originally posted by Burntvet

The PvP loot system isn't be "tacked on" its being made as a central design concept for the hardcore sever as a means to further fuel competition for resources. It being F2P, as long as it doesn't lead to p2w items, will be fine.

To the people saying "its a trap" the devs have demonstarted everything that most "sandbox" mmorpgs lack: a working combat system, a working highly  in depth crafting system, a working in depth housing system, and various avenues for social progression and wealth outside of combat. 

Games:
Past games:
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Warhammer - Xpiher

shadow9d9

Advanced Member

1/08/14 8:01:28 AM#13
A "free to play" game that needs two kickstarters?  Umm, no.
  xpiher

Novice Member

OP  1/08/14 9:27:59 AM#14
Originally posted by shadow9d9

Needs? LOL. They have the second kick starter because IT WAS ASKED FOR. There were that many people who wanted to support the game who missed the first kick starter. This second one is just to get more stuff in the game at launch. 

Games:
Past games:
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Warhammer - Xpiher

shadow9d9

Advanced Member

1/13/14 6:12:13 PM#15
Originally posted by xpiher

Needs? LOL. They have the second kick starter because IT WAS ASKED FOR. There were that many people who wanted to support the game who missed the first kick starter. This second one is just to get more stuff in the game at launch. 

Right.  The gullible never cease to amaze me.  People never seem to learn.

How about they just release the game as originally promised and then use that money to add more?  Then, at least, people will have some idea whether this company has ANY competence whatsoever.  All they have now is promises, from a company with no history.

Not free to play system, which will gouge you any chance it gets, since it is the only way to make money(aside from endless kickstarters, which gives them free money).

darker70

Novice Member

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

1/13/14 6:27:31 PM#16

How about they just release the game as originally promised and then use that money to add more?  Then, at least, people will have some idea whether this company has ANY competence whatsoever.  All they have now is promises, from a company with no history.

Not free to play system, which will gouge you any chance it gets, since it is the only way to make money(aside from endless kickstarters, which gives them free money).

Endless ?

There last one was 2 years ago,I should know I was one of the first on their forums and backers ,it was pitched for 25k not exactly greedy and most of the funding up to that point was by 5 people only as they worked day jobs as well so really the entire project was a mammoth one to start with,why not have a little help and give people something they are craving for along the way.

shadow9d9

Advanced Member

1/13/14 7:18:32 PM#17
Originally posted by darker70

Endless ?

There last one was 2 years ago,I should know I was one of the first on their forums and backers ,it was pitched for 25k not exactly greedy and most of the funding up to that point was by 5 people only as they worked day jobs as well so really the entire project was a mammoth one to start with,why not have a little help and give people something they are craving for along the way.

Giving more money to a company that hasn't produced a single finished product yet is silly.  If they can't finish the original idea, why would you think that asking them to expand upon an unfinished product makes any sense?

JC-Smith

Elite Member

1/13/14 10:57:45 PM#18
Giving more money to a company that hasn't produced a single finished product yet is silly. 

You do realize that pretty much every crowd-funded campaign does this from a store on their site immediately after their crowd funding ends. The only difference here is that we choose to do a round of Kickstarter instead of using an on-site store. So if you want to use that argument, you need to use it across the board.

Kickstarter allowed for a short window and to ensure some stretch goals either were met, or got pushed to post-launch. It made sense in this case.

shadow9d9

Advanced Member

1/14/14 12:17:31 AM#19
Originally posted by JC-Smith
Giving more money to a company that hasn't produced a single finished product yet is silly. 

You do realize that pretty much every crowd-funded campaign does this from a store on their site immediately after their crowd funding ends. The only difference here is that we choose to do a round of Kickstarter instead of using an on-site store. So if you want to use that argument, you need to use it across the board.

Kickstarter allowed for a short window and to ensure some stretch goals either were met, or got pushed to post-launch. It made sense in this case.

It doesn't make sense to expand goals before you've shown that you can even complete the first set.

JC-Smith

Elite Member

1/14/14 1:33:47 AM#20

There have been players in and testing the game for a long while now. The game has been shown at three major shows, and there is a ton of footage on the game, both from in-house video and from third party video at the shows. It also had boxes where you could play the game at PAX Prime. Those features touted from the previous and current Kickstarter campaign are already functional features. They aren't what is keeping the game from being launched. Content is the game's problem right now, it needs more of it. You'll notice the stretch goals in this campaign aren't things like adding new areas to the world. They are programmer and art related tasks. They are things that can be built separately while the content is being completed.

What I think your saying, is that before a game ships you should not take any more money that players are wanting to spend? If that's the case then you have a problem with crowd-funding in general. Which goes back to what I said in my last post. If you have that problem then you should have it with just about every crowd-funded MMO to date because almost all of them open in-house stores after their Kickstarter campaign. If that's your stance though, then your entitled to that opinion.

4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » Search