Trending Games | WildStar | Guild Wars 2 | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,637,088 Users Online:0
Games:678  Posts:6,072,375
Above and Beyond Technologies | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2014)  | Pub:Above and Beyond Technologies
Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Repopulation Forum » General Discussion » Free to Play, why?

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Search
150 posts found
  Iylz

Advanced Member

12/14/13 9:17:55 PM#141
Originally posted by Khalathwyr
Originally posted by Wizardry

Why do people continue to use the term NICHE,there is nothing left in gaming that has not already been done a LOT !.

Most do not use the term with it defined as you suggest. Instead they use it as a means to "backhanded slap" the game and belittle it. They want to create the impression that the game will only interest very few gamers and thus will not have a large population. In their view if it does not draw 1 million plus players then it is a niche game.

As far as the features of the game, most folks who make the statement that TR will be "niche" don't have a clue about the game's features to know if said features have been done before. They are most likely upset that they won't get another themepark game to flock to for 1-3 months, "win" it and then return to WoW. The few that do read and make such comment (niche) consider the features of the game "too much like a job" and don't want to be "penalized" for failing at a task.

I say niche and I am a fan of Repop. If you think about all the gamers in the world and how many of them will be involved in The Repopulation, that percentage could be considered a niche. Eve online in the gaming world would be considered a niche, there is very few people in the millions and millions of gamers that are Eve players. I have an account in Eve and every now and again I may pop in, but I don't consider myself a player.  Eve is an extremely successful game because it is a niche and the following is die hard. Long time Eve players will draw blood over their game. The Repopulation, in my greatest hopes, will sort of follow in CCPs footsteps, which I think is their goal. What I mean by this is CCP found a vision that appealed to and remains appealing to, a specific fan base. They aren't looking for the game perfectly created for the masses. They are looking for a game that they themselves want to enjoy creating and in this process create an environment that a certain type of player would enjoy. This also creates different kind of longevity for the game opposed to the 1-3 month themepark. Many of the people that call this a niche game aren't using it as a derogatory comment, imo it more of a compliment.

Khalathwyr

Tipster

Google is your friend.

12/15/13 1:19:04 AM#142
Originally posted by Iylz
Originally posted by Khalathwyr
Originally posted by Wizardry

Why do people continue to use the term NICHE,there is nothing left in gaming that has not already been done a LOT !.

Most do not use the term with it defined as you suggest. Instead they use it as a means to "backhanded slap" the game and belittle it. They want to create the impression that the game will only interest very few gamers and thus will not have a large population. In their view if it does not draw 1 million plus players then it is a niche game.

As far as the features of the game, most folks who make the statement that TR will be "niche" don't have a clue about the game's features to know if said features have been done before. They are most likely upset that they won't get another themepark game to flock to for 1-3 months, "win" it and then return to WoW. The few that do read and make such comment (niche) consider the features of the game "too much like a job" and don't want to be "penalized" for failing at a task.

I say niche and I am a fan of Repop. If you think about all the gamers in the world and how many of them will be involved in The Repopulation, that percentage could be considered a niche. Eve online in the gaming world would be considered a niche, there is very few people in the millions and millions of gamers that are Eve players. I have an account in Eve and every now and again I may pop in, but I don't consider myself a player.  Eve is an extremely successful game because it is a niche and the following is die hard. Long time Eve players will draw blood over their game. The Repopulation, in my greatest hopes, will sort of follow in CCPs footsteps, which I think is their goal. What I mean by this is CCP found a vision that appealed to and remains appealing to, a specific fan base. They aren't looking for the game perfectly created for the masses. They are looking for a game that they themselves want to enjoy creating and in this process create an environment that a certain type of player would enjoy. This also creates different kind of longevity for the game opposed to the 1-3 month themepark. Many of the people that call this a niche game aren't using it as a derogatory comment, imo it more of a compliment.

Many that use the term are indeed using it in a negative manner. The context clues in what they write show this.

That said, I don't look at niche being a bad thing. I don't have this overwhelming need to have the games that I'm interested in to be liked by millions of others so that i feel my like is "correct" and is "validated" because, again, millions of others like it. No, I much prefer a niche title as the developers theoretically should have more leeway to make a game with more bite. The larger the audience your shoot for, the more watered down the experience will be in my view. 

I agree that TR is patterning itself after EvE and will short for slow growth over time. The game I'm following, Pathfinder Online, is doing the exact same thing. Because they are shooting for niche they can do things like allow us players that backed their kickstarter to be the first in the game in EE and allow us to claim territory and form governments and laws over the territory we claim. So when Open Enrollment comes and they start letting people in a year after all the EE folks have set up player towns and started player kingdoms, those new folks will come into kingdoms and nations and factions ran by players.

You really won't get that with non niche games. Indeed non niche games shoot to make every player the "hero" so they can't do systems in which another player can knock the first player off his/her "hero throne".

So no, I laugh at those that try to hurl "niche" as an insult. I know that that is one more 90 day MMO hopper that I won't have to deal with in game or listen to on official forums try to make the game more "mainstream".

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Kickstarter 1 / Naysayers 0

joshuahalls

Apprentice Member

12/15/13 8:12:21 AM#143

If you are trying to sell to 10 million people having a game considered "niche" definitely can have a negative impact on that desired goal as in some cases a game designed for a certain niche will have negative impacts on a broader audience. We do have some designs that will probably turn off some player types who are looking for an ultra-casual play style where everything is on rails, but that was pretty much a given when we first started.

Currently, we have an audience that is a mixture of SWG vets looking for something a bit different than what is out there right now . We also have some diehard PvP fans looking at our hardcore server and how things such as banking, transporting, and looting is going to be implemented to see if it is something they are looking for. We have somewhat of a diverse mixture of play styles looking at the game when you look at it from that angle, but our bar for success when measured in concurrent players and conversion of existing players will be much lower than a larger company that has to recoup their massive advertising and development costs to be considered a success. We can maintain a very modest community and do very well, but of course we would like things to be successful so we can continue to expand and grow the game.

Joshua Halls
Co Owner-Lead Programmer The Repopulation

GwapoJosh

Advanced Member

12/15/13 8:18:41 AM#144
Originally posted by joshuahalls

If you are trying to sell to 10 million people having a game considered "niche" definitely can have a negative impact on that desired goal as in some cases a game designed for a certain niche will have negative impacts on a broader audience. We do have some designs that will probably turn off some player types who are looking for an ultra-casual play style where everything is on rails, but that was pretty much a given when we first started.

Currently, we have an audience that is a mixture of SWG vets looking for something a bit different than what is out there right now . We also have some diehard PvP fans looking at our hardcore server and how things such as banking, transporting, and looting is going to be implemented to see if it is something they are looking for. We have somewhat of a diverse mixture of play styles looking at the game when you look at it from that angle, but our bar for success when measured in concurrent players and conversion of existing players will be much lower than a larger company that has to recoup their massive advertising and development costs to be considered a success. We can maintain a very modest community and do very well, but of course we would like things to be successful so we can continue to expand and grow the game.

I'm a back and I've been following for a long time.. Everything sounds amazing so far but the cash shop will decide the fate of this game.  I have high hopes that you will make smart choices.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

goboygo

Apprentice Member

12/15/13 8:57:55 AM#145
Originally posted by asmkm22

It's an indie game on a shoestring budget, and without any sort of marketing department.  There's a large amount of MMO fatigue as well, which means any game requiring a subscription had better damn well be a good one.  I don't mean Eve Online niche market good either.

The game was, unfortunately, destined to be a niche game at best.  Making it F2P is probably smart because it just doesn't have the mass appeal for most people to want ot plop down $60 and a sub fee for yet another MMO that probably won't pan out.

Unfortunately your right, unless your game is really, really  good, the only way to compete is to get more money then is reasonable from some people and let the others play for free just so your game doesn't look dead, aka F2P.

Garainis

Novice Member

12/27/13 6:20:24 PM#146

It`s hilarious that so many people here still think that subscription is an option. Have you taken a look at SWTOR, TERA, Rift? Do I have to name more? How in your heads it makes any sense that Repop will succeed without any budget at all where so many AAA games have failed?

Even if the game ends up as good as it`s on paper, people would still not shell out money for box and then add their credit card data on top of that. Do you know why? It`s exactly because of those AAA failures. If AAA games fail, how in hell an unknown indie company could pull it off? And that will be the mindset of majority of players that you wont change with promises. There`s huge scepticism about future AAA subscription games already. And I can tell for sure that ESO will fail fast. Wildstar seems to be a bit more promising WoW-clone, but it`ll probably go F2P too.

Also there are a few great or at least decent F2P business model implementations - Path of Exile, DOTA 2, League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Rift and the list goes on.

Avoid SOE, Perfect World,Nexon and NCsoft (because Nexon bought a lot of their shares and are pulling the strings from shadows) published games and you should be fine in the F2P world.

Karahandras

Advanced Member

All it takes for evil to succeed is for the good to stand by and do nothing

12/27/13 6:26:47 PM#147
Originally posted by Anthur

I agree that F2P is usually bad for community.

On the other hand I won't pay for a MMO anymore unless I get at least a free trial period, some open beta or it is even f2p. Sorry, so much trash MMOs get released. And the only way to find out if a MMO is worth my money is to play it myself.

Rinna

Advanced Member

12/27/13 6:29:11 PM#148
I'd rather pay a sub and I'm already a $100 buck backer.

No bitchers.

Garainis

Novice Member

12/27/13 6:40:45 PM#149

For the love of Talos, the knockelheads here should start to post valid arguments instead of stating their baseless opinions about how P2P is the best way because they say so. 

The thing you have to understand is that the more players a game has, the "worse" the community will feel. Do you really think that all or even the majority of WoW players are gentlemen and ladies with the best of intentions and manners because they pay $15 a month? Stop spewing your baseless bullshit please. Really getting on my nerves.

All popular games have "bad" communities be it World of Warcraft, Counter Strike, Call of Duty, Battlefield, League of Legends, DOTA or any other popular multiplayer game in existence. You old timers are just sinking in your biased nostalgia about the old times when MMORPGs were niche with low player counts and actually required cooperation which of course requires being nice to others, otherwise they wouldn`t help and you in result wouldn`t progress.

As gaming has gone somewhat mainstream (and highly soloable even in MMORPG environments) since then, dicks from real life are being dicks in games no matter the business model.

EDIT: LOL at those who compare the current MMO market  to 2004 or even 1999. :D

Malvious

Apprentice Member

12/27/13 6:57:00 PM#150
Originally posted by GwapoJosh
F2p is the only thing I hate about The Ropop..  It is a game that will need a great community and f2p brings so much trash.

These days f2p nor p2p doesnt matter anymore the mmo community in general is just trash.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Search