Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Camelot Unchained

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,433 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,806
Above and Beyond Technologies | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Above and Beyond Technologies
Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Repopulation Forum » General Discussion » Why this game will be a let down

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
45 posts found
  Ichmen

Apprentice Member

hatred enriches.life is a prison, death a release.

10/06/13 10:02:39 PM#41

its clear The Repop will fail because.. the OP isnt going to play it :( oh woah is us poor gamers..... 

why must people keep going full retard.... you should never go full retard :/ unless people have a time machine and can jump ahead say 5yrs to report back when X game is released and if its a total wash or not.. no one really can say if/when a game will flop or float :/  Repop has alot of grand plans sure and theres a 50/50 shot it could bust but if the devs dont try no one will :/ 

frankly from what i have seen on Repop it looks interesting might not be something i would play long term as i rarely play anything long term (apart from my AOE1/2 and openttd) but it looks pretty stable from what they have released so far. 

worth giving it a shot imo :/ doom and gloom helps no one but the cookie cutter devs in all respect..

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 860 2.8GHz
Evga GeForce 670 FTW
Evga P55 SLI

<

mrcalhou

Spotlight Poster

10/06/13 10:13:39 PM#42
Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by joshuahalls

Originally posted by Zeppelin4 It was a let down for me a long time ago. When the player shops had to be in pvp areas only that was it for me.  Even in Eve online I can have my player shop where I want in high security space. It was doomed to be a very niche game with pvp as its main focus. 
We have been mulling over that issue for awhile and haven't quite announced the solution (or well option) that might help with that issue yet. The real concern we have is moving to much of the features that drive a thriving player city out into a completely safe area is that most people will choose the solution that doesn't involve any risk. We plan on having some transport options and a bit of an adjustment to how the player cities work that we hopefully can sit down and detail further after PAX that should help (but not completely resolve this issue) for players looking to trade and run shops without getting hacked down running around out in the open world. It will come at some cost to the city owners, but part of building a thriving city will be attracting a wide variety of players.

There is a lot of PvE and PvP options to go around and the trick of course is trying to find the right balance to support both play styles and of course the hardcore server is for those who want to go further past what most players are willing to deal with in regards to casual PvP.

I understand that to some mmo gamers, risk of loss is paramount to a worthwhile experience. It is a community built on survival. I have never really enjoyed those types of mmos. But to each their own.

It's not necessarily risk of loss that is appealing, but that the loss helps contributes to a dynamic economy. In Eve, when your stuff is destroyed you have to acquire some sort of replacement and that replacement will have been crafted by a player (and thankfully, stuff actually gets destroyed and deleted from the game, instead of everything just getting shuffled amongst the playerbase) So the people finding resources, making stuff, and blowing stuff up all have a role in keeping the economy wheel turning.

--------
"Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
Front: UNO Chemistry Club
Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

Radionic

Advanced Member

11/10/13 12:07:32 PM#43
Originally posted by Royalkin

Simple solution. Don't play it, don't spend any of your money on it.

Sorry but you don't get to make the decision for everyone else, only yourself.

Pretty much this...

Onomas

Novice Member

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

11/11/13 3:03:40 AM#44
Originally posted by Gintoh

The fact is, this small Dev team has bitten off far more then they can chew. EVERY SINGLE indie sandbox in recent years has been crushed under the eight of its own ambition...........

Um you forget every major company in the field today started out as an Indie company.  If the game is good, if they put in effort, and if they don't change their ways to try to please everyone for profits then they have a shot. You also forget this game already has 100 times more than your average new aged mmo released, the last 5 years has been a joke in the field. We may need indie companies to come in and set the others straight. Most the big dogs are still trying to ride the WOW success and think F2P will make mmorpg's better (granted this game sadly will be F2P). They have come a long way already.

kt9chutney

Novice Member

11/11/13 2:53:35 PM#45
Originally posted by joshuahalls
Originally posted by Zeppelin4
It was a let down for me a long time ago. When the player shops had to be in pvp areas only that was it for me.  Even in Eve online I can have my player shop where I want in high security space. It was doomed to be a very niche game with pvp as its main focus. 

We have been mulling over that issue for awhile and haven't quite announced the solution (or well option) that might help with that issue yet. The real concern we have is moving to much of the features that drive a thriving player city out into a completely safe area is that most people will choose the solution that doesn't involve any risk. We plan on having some transport options and a bit of an adjustment to how the player cities work that we hopefully can sit down and detail further after PAX that should help (but not completely resolve this issue) for players looking to trade and run shops without getting hacked down running around out in the open world. It will come at some cost to the city owners, but part of building a thriving city will be attracting a wide variety of players.

There is a lot of PvE and PvP options to go around and the trick of course is trying to find the right balance to support both play styles and of course the hardcore server is for those who want to go further past what most players are willing to deal with in regards to casual PvP.

It's great to hear a level and well reasonsed responce here. Leaders are often taught that what their people need is not always what their people want.
It is very true. If the developers of MMOs give in to player demands without considering the reasoning behind the original intent or carefully considering the hollistic impact of the requested change, that is when a game begins a steady decline into player-led destruction.

I know many game play styles that friends of mine have not wanted to participate in, but when a game mechanic prods them out of their comfort zone and they need to get involved in that play style, they often come to love it.

Perhaps what is needed is a system that allows mulitple routes to the same end goal, each with their own attractive reason for choosing that route?

Alternatively, how about looking back on SWG. It had a planet wide Auction House/Bazaar market, where all could trade freely from large NPC cities or across the globe, but it also had the full blown player shops. Both were succesfull and viable means.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search