Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Camelot Unchained | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,519 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,892
Above and Beyond Technologies | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Above and Beyond Technologies
Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
66 posts found
  Trappin

Novice Member

2/16/13 9:58:50 PM#61

The key to SWG crafting was monitoring resource pops 24/7. When the godly stuff spawned, the race was on. The sole purpose of the action being summed up thusly: cockblocking the competition; monopoly.

SanHor

Novice Member

3/02/13 7:33:14 PM#62
Originally posted by joshuahalls

Kay is part of our team and doing a lot of resource/recipe work so is fairly well versed in what is going on behind the scenes with the system.  We don't have an identical system to SWG or Vanguard, but have taken a look at many of the crafting systems out there and added a little bit here and there to get to where we are now which is a very robust system that can be simple to use and at the same time very complex such as the creation of fittings.  We should have a very detailed attribute writeup for resources out here in the next few days with a lot of the nitty gritty of how that system works.

That right there is a big warning sign for me because I'm looking forward to crafting in your game.

Complex crafting is welcome but "simple to use"? I've seen crafting fail in almost every other MMO for being simple to use because what good is crafting if everyone else and their mom has an alt crafter? It's not fun if you're doing it for yourself only. It ruins the whole economic aspect and makes vendors useless. Not to mention with so many crafters around fairly soon everyone will have high end gear (crafted by themselves or their guild mates). For crafting this is a recipe for disaster from what I've seen in other MMOs.

SWG was the only  MMO where I enjoyed crafting not only for being complex but also for being meaningful. It was inaccessible to anyone not willing to commit enough time and effort into it so they prefferd buying at vendors instead. It kept economy alive and crafters motivated (entertained) while competition kept prices at fair levels. Thats why you hear nothing but praise about crafting in SWG.

DrinkFeck

Novice Member

Sir!? The radar sir.. it appears to be.. jammed!

3/02/13 7:47:41 PM#63
Originally posted by SanHor

Kay is part of our team and doing a lot of resource/recipe work so is fairly well versed in what is going on behind the scenes with the system.  We don't have an identical system to SWG or Vanguard, but have taken a look at many of the crafting systems out there and added a little bit here and there to get to where we are now which is a very robust system that can be simple to use and at the same time very complex such as the creation of fittings.  We should have a very detailed attribute writeup for resources out here in the next few days with a lot of the nitty gritty of how that system works.

That right there is a big warning sign for me because I'm looking forward to crafting in your game.

Complex crafting is welcome but "simple to use"? I've seen crafting fail in almost every other MMO for being simple to use because what good is crafting if everyone else and their mom has an alt crafter? It's not fun if you're doing it for yourself only. It ruins the whole economic aspect and makes vendors useless. Not to mention with so many crafters around fairly soon everyone will have high end gear (crafted by themselves or their guild mates). For crafting this is a recipe for disaster from what I've seen in other MMOs.

SWG was the only  MMO where I enjoyed crafting not only for being complex but also for being meaningful. It was inaccessible to anyone not willing to commit enough time and effort into it so they prefferd buying at vendors instead. It kept economy alive and crafters motivated (entertained) while competition kept prices at fair levels. Thats why you hear nothing but praise about crafting in SWG.

You are seemingly reading too much into a single statement. Crafting in SWG was very simple to use for the lesser items, whilst complexity grew with new schematics.

KaylettaJade

Novice Member

3/02/13 10:02:44 PM#64
Originally posted by SanHor

If you're concerned, or would like to know more, I suggest reading the recent releases on crafting in Repop:

Resource Attribute System: http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/game-features/crafting/crafting-attribute-system

Crafting Interdependence: http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/news/95-crafting-interdependence

SanHor

Novice Member

3/03/13 2:39:03 AM#65
Originally posted by DrinkFeck

You are seemingly reading too much into a single statement. Crafting in SWG was very simple to use for the lesser items, whilst complexity grew with new schematics.

I probably am. Nvm then lets wait and see. :)

Artlu

Novice Member

7/04/13 7:54:13 PM#66
The June update is very much SWG like!
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search