Trending Games | EverQuest Next | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,771 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,312,517
Above and Beyond Technologies | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Above and Beyond Technologies
Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Repopulation Forum » General Discussion » i am worried--for this game

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
69 posts found
  wowclones

Novice Member

10/01/12 10:51:30 PM#21
Originally posted by Loktofeit
Although your post comes across as an ArchAge fan just trying to crap on what they fear may be competition, Iet's assume it's genuine concerns...What dev from Earthrise is working on this?What makes you think ArchAge will ever be released in NA/EU and, if it does get released here, what makes you think it will do better than DF or MO?See what I did thar?

Couldn't have said it better Lok. Anyone wasting there time worrying about a game that isn't due out for a year still in alpha has issues or is just a hater. There are a million other things you could be worried about, like Archeage's North American release  announcement.

Ryukan

Novice Member

10/02/12 12:54:54 PM#22
I was under the impression that ex-SWG devs were working on this, everything about is certainly reminds me of pre-NGE SWG. I even saw a post from a dev on the official forums that mentioned the first expansion being a JTL-ish space expansion (which just about made me cream my jeans). At any rate this is my #1 most anticipated MMO coming out; if it ends up being as good as it sounds I'll drop all other games for this. (pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease)
  joshuahalls

Hard Core Member

10/02/12 3:47:09 PM#23
There are no former SWG devs on our team, not sure where that came from :-).  A lot of people influenced by it though.

Joshua Halls
Co Owner-Lead Programmer The Repopulation

JC-Smith

Hard Core Member

10/02/12 7:58:26 PM#24

Actually there is one former SWG dev that Josh probably missed as it was just a part on his resume, but he is a volunteer who came on in the past 6 months just wanting to contribute to the project. He is the only former SOE employee on the team though.

We should stress, the game is similar to SWG in spirit and some of its designs. But it is not an SWG clone in any way. Many of our mechanics are very different. But similar to SWG it is a sandbox, features deep crafting, city building, has a similar pet system, skills based, etc. The PvE game is very different from SWG though, and many of the mechanics of other areas are very different. Although both games are skills based, for example, there are no boxes and mastery in Repop. You can use DNA to improve skills, but you don't unlock boxes. Abilities are earned through skill trees, but not automatically, you must acquire the Training Cards for them. We have many similarities to SWG, but Repop is also a very different game.

Terranah

Novice Member

10/02/12 8:05:35 PM#25
 If this game releases at all it is more apt to be released in horrid condition.  But that said, miracles can and do happen, so let's wait and see because they do have some pretty good ideas.
  MarlonB

Apprentice Member

10/03/12 4:47:46 AM#26
Originally posted by Terranah
 If this game releases at all it is more apt to be released in horrid condition.  But that said, miracles can and do happen, so let's wait and see because they do have some pretty good ideas.

SWG was in horrid condition, yet the most fun i ever had ;)

The Repopulation - Scfi Fi Sandbox.

fenistil

Novice Member

10/03/12 5:16:14 AM#27
Originally posted by Renamed

Why do you think earthrise, darkfall online, and mortal online were failures?

If a game developer sells only 50 thousand copies of a game at ~40$ each while it cost them ~1 million to create, then it was surely a successful game. Even if it was their only source of income. Why? Because it made far more than its cost.

Earthrise failed fast and hard - noone wanted to play it.  I really doubt that they sold more than 5-10k of copies.

MO is failing hard as well - they are losing money everyday. 300k $ in last quarter.

DFO - well that's propably only game of those three that maybe did not create loss.

Though It propably was most expensive of all those games.  

NaughtyP

Novice Member

10/05/12 12:37:26 PM#28

People are quick to forget that Blizzard was started by like 3 guys in a basement and Microsoft started out as 2 guys doing who knows what using who knows what.

Is it so far fetched that a larger team with modern tools can't create a single, solid, MMORPG?

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

Paddyspub

Novice Member

"Top Flight Security of the world, Craig."

10/08/12 8:18:51 AM#29

I wouldnt worry about this game, I think it will be a pretty good niche title and will have a small devoted fanbase.  I pledged some bucks when they had the QS thing going and I have confidence in them that they will do a good job.  I know it wont be perfect and sure it will have some bugs, but no MMO is perfect.

To be honest,  I have more for this game ten-fold than I do with SWTOR or Tera at this point.

Paddyspub Xfire Miniprofile
  defector1968

Novice Member

Real Animal lovers are ONLY the vegetarians

10/08/12 8:47:16 AM#30

If a game developer sells only 50 thousand copies of a game at ~40$ each while it cost them ~1 million to create, then it was surely a successful game. Even if it was their only source of income. Why? Because it made far more than its cost.

dont treat MMOs as a Single Player games

a successful MMO need to stay at least 3 years (with today's how many MMOs are, and how much they stay overall so far)

dumpcat

Novice Member

10/09/12 6:11:19 PM#31
Xerves - JC Smith.... have you considered a flagging system so you can have one rule set rather than different server types? Also SWGs bounty system was great! Is there going to be other non combat roles besides crafting such as doctors or entertainer type roles?
  aRtFuLThinG

Novice Member

10/09/12 7:45:52 PM#32
Originally posted by Terranah

If you referring to past experiences of other indie titles like Earthrise, you gotta realise that many of those run on borrowed money. The need to pay them back. Hence why they tend to release early and fluff up.

Repop is fuelled by volunteers. They don't have to pay much and they don't have to release early. Even if they are not great they will at least be Mount & Blade or DayZ in terms of the quality of gameplay (which is pretty damn good considering where they started from).

The bigger the starting budget, the more people you have to be responsible for, because the money's gotta come from somewhere.

Bossalinie

Apprentice Member

10/09/12 7:56:59 PM#33
Originally posted by defector1968

dont treat MMOs as a Single Player games

I believe, in MY opinion and in what I am looking for, a successful MMO need to stay at least 3 years (with today's how many MMOs are, and how much they stay overall so far)

Fixed that for you, buddy

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

10/09/12 8:16:35 PM#34
Originally posted by NaughtyP

People are quick to forget that Blizzard was started by like 3 guys in a basement and Microsoft started out as 2 guys doing who knows what using who knows what.

Is it so far fetched that a larger team with modern tools can't create a single, solid, MMORPG?

Neither Blizzard or Microsoft started off with mmos to get into gaming. They made singleplayer games for years first. And even then, Microsoft never managed to launch a successful mmo.

Bioware is a prime example of what happens when even talented singleplayer developers try to make games in a genre they have absolutely no experience in.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

aRtFuLThinG

Novice Member

10/09/12 8:22:44 PM#35
Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Neither Blizzard or Microsoft started off with mmos to get into gaming. They made singleplayer games for years first.

Bioware is a prime example of what happens when even talented singleplayer developers try to make games in a genre they have absolutely no experience in..

Dos was coded using assembly code. That's a lot harder than anything any developer ever have to use today.

First Warcraft was created before anything even remotely resembling or even the concept of "game engine" was invented. Everything coded from scratch. Again much more of an endeavour compare to developing games today.

It's got nothing to do with experience. It has to do with whether they have the will or whether have a lot of stakeholders. The more stakeholders there is, the more messy things would get because everyone has different opinions and the winning opinion is usually where the money is.

IzItMeOrUAll

Novice Member

10/09/12 8:34:33 PM#36
Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Neither Blizzard or Microsoft started off with mmos to get into gaming. They made singleplayer games for years first.

Bioware is a prime example of what happens when even talented singleplayer developers try to make games in a genre they have absolutely no experience in..

Dos was coded using assembly code. That's a lot harder than anything any developer ever have to use today.

First Warcraft was created before anything even remotely resembling or even the concept of "game engine" was invented. Everything coded from scratch. Again much more of an endeavour compare to developing games today.

It's got nothing to do with experience. It has to do with whether they have the will or whether have a lot of stakeholders. The more stakeholders there is, the more messy things would get because everyone has different opinions and the winning opinion is usually where the money is.

I agree 100% ^^

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

10/09/12 8:48:52 PM#37
Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

I also didn't see Blizzard panhandling money from "potential customers" back then, either. I'm sorry, but the second I see Kickstarter or similar crap tied to a games development, i write that game off until i see a finished product.

Another reason Blizzard made it big so fast was literally little competition. Nowadays, there's hundreds of mmos of all degrees of quality and price. This is no longer the land of the quick buck it used to be.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

aRtFuLThinG

Novice Member

10/09/12 9:01:07 PM#38

I also didn't see Blizzard panhandling money from "potential customers" back then, either. I'm sorry, but the second I see Kickstarter or similar crap tied to a games development, i write that game off until i see a finished product.

Another reason Blizzard made it big so fast was literally little competition. Nowadays, there's hundreds of mmos of all degrees of quality and price. This is no longer the land of the quick buck it used to be.

I don't think that is consequential at all. Mount & Blade did the same, they asked for money for a beta game all the way until v1.0, didn't turn out badly.

Different developers are different.

Also, Blizzard wasn't the first and they do have stiff competition (until they did things much better than other competitors that they left them behind). From the same period there was:

C&C1

Dune2

Total Annihilation

C&C Red Alert

Age of Empires

Just to name a few.

Blizzard didn't even started the genre. It was just that the did very good in it.

JC-Smith

Hard Core Member

10/13/12 5:22:44 PM#39

With regards to a flagging system (sorry didn't see that post before)...

On the regular servers you can choose to be Active or Reserve in the military.  The default is reserve, and that offers you protection in your factions uncontested areas (which for OWON and FPR are very large). You will still be able to be killed in the contested areas. It's set up similar to how DAoC's frontiers were set up. You can advance your character completely in the protected areas, you don't have to PvP if you don't wish. Cities are created in the contested areas though, and rival nations will be able to kill you when in those areas. Your guards and turrets (which will spawn in the player created cities) will protect you in those areas though.

I think the main problem with a flagging system on the normal servers would be that it would eliminate the territory control features. Controlling certain areas allows you to create choke points, control resources, etc. But that isn't really possible if players can avoid the PvP and just run by the players defending them. I think its a feature that works well in some games, but not too much to Repop. We are open to the idea of a PvE server if there is enough demand for it though.

dumpcat

Novice Member

10/23/12 4:57:51 PM#40
Thanks for the update as far as flagging goes. I seeyour point completely. What about bounties? One one the most fun things to do in SWG was hunting down other players and ambushing them! With a third faction that can take either side things could get dramatic to say the least. Nothing like basking in the hate of a player you just collected on, especially when you had just won there trust muahaha!
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search