Trending Games | Landmark | Skyforge | Camelot Unchained | Hearthstone

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,770 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,294
Above and Beyond Technologies | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Above and Beyond Technologies
Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Repopulation Forum » General Discussion » Is this like SWG or not, simple yes or no

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
42 posts found
  alexanys1982

Novice Member

WTB a sandbox mmo with WoW's polish.

OP  8/26/12 6:33:04 PM#1
Is it like pre-nge? if it is im sold, simple yes or no

Nitth

Elite Member

Magic Propels my Rolly Chair.

8/26/12 6:53:22 PM#2

Originally posted by alexanys1982

Nobody will tell you because their under NDA.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Bardus

Novice Member

8/26/12 7:00:31 PM#3

Might be easier to answer if you put a check list of what SWG was to you.  Can't answer this as a yes or no because it's not exactly cloning SWG.

Is it a SCI-FI MMO? Yes

Does it have a skills system? Yes, even more so than SWG with more skills. We even train how much it hurts to fall down LOL.

Is gear dependent on dedicated and trained crafters, resource quality and complex crafting system? Yes

Player driven economy? Yes

Player built cities and housing with full customization and deco? Yes

Nonlinear progression? Yes

Is that enough for you? Just ask and we'll provide an answer be it right or wrong for you.

kol56

Novice Member

8/26/12 7:03:31 PM#4

After reading the forums, doing some research about the game, and talking to fans, it is.

It's TRYING to be SWG 2 (but not a clone) with better PVE.

It's also going to be more casual friendly. (in a good way)

I say trying because it's an indie MMO, for all we know the game could be amazing or release as another indie bugfest.

It's still the closest thing to SWG we will ever see.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
-Seinfeld

Bardus

Novice Member

8/26/12 7:05:56 PM#5
Originally posted by Nitth

Nobody will tell you because their under NDA.

Well sorta true. I'll answer with anything generalizing and been widely pubicized already. The devs themselves answer questions in this forum frequently and since they wrote the NDA they can break it.

alexanys1982

Novice Member

WTB a sandbox mmo with WoW's polish.

OP  8/26/12 7:07:59 PM#6
Originally posted by Bardus

Might be easier to answer if you put a check list of what SWG was to you.  Can't answer this as a yes or no because it's not exactly cloning SWG.

Is it a SCI-FI MMO? Yes

Does it have a skills system? Yes, even more so than SWG with more skills. We even train how much it hurts to fall down LOL.

Is gear dependent on dedicated and trained crafters, resource quality and complex crafting system? Yes

Is that enough for you? Just ask and we'll provide an answer be it right or wrong for you.

GREAT answer, so most of the systems minus the SW's stuff....thats exciting...im on this site all the time how did i not know about this? Are they advertising at all? I thought everybody was still pissed about swg you would think this would be more talked about lol.

Kraylor

Novice Member

8/26/12 7:19:03 PM#7

It is the closest thing to Pre-Cu SWG on the horizon.  It does have some differences, but the design of the game is conducive towards real guilds and real communities. 

Some key points:  (As I understand it)

1.  The only instancing will be the starter tutorial area.  Everything else is wide open.

2.  There will be no space at launch.  If things go ok, the devs have stated that they will work on it after launch, but don't expect it to come within the 1st year IMO.

3.  1 race:  Humans. 

4.  More meaningful PvP than what we had in SWG.  Cities are placed in contested zones where players are auto flagged for PvP.  City sieges and takeovers are possible, so defending your city is absolutely critical. 

5.  There will also be instanced player housing if you prefer that.

6.  Crafting will be somewhere between SWG and Vanguard as far as complexity and customization goes.  This is not a gear treadmill game.

7.  All PvP will be city sieges and open world.  No BGs.  All PvE dungeons are open world.

Couple Repop Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRfQvwAuesQ&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRfQvwAuesQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_aj8EhECMM

Waiting on: The Repopulation

Bardus

Novice Member

8/26/12 7:26:27 PM#8

Is it a SCI-FI MMO? Yes

GREAT answer, so most of the systems minus the SW's stuff....thats exciting...im on this site all the time how did i not know about this? Are they advertising at all? I thought everybody was still pissed about swg you would think this would be more talked about lol.

It seems since there is no publishing company funding this project that word of mouth will be the main advertising. Do they want to spend money on ads or features and graphics? I know what I'll be voting for.

The game is also still in alpha testing but progressing fast. I bet once it hits the beta phase and opens up to a much wider testing audience and more footage is released that the word of mouth will spread much wider.

I've seen already there is a large casual following keeping an eye on this game. I think some of the lack of hype so far is simply people don't want to jinx it LOL. There is nothing even remotely similar in development anywhere that I'm aware of but this game so far by my observation is meeting the ever growing demand for freedom and something bold and different than another WOW knock off.

dijou

Novice Member

8/28/12 6:33:51 PM#9

It seems since there is no publishing company funding this project that word of mouth will be the main advertising. Do they want to spend money on ads or features and graphics? I know what I'll be voting for.

The game is also still in alpha testing but progressing fast. I bet once it hits the beta phase and opens up to a much wider testing audience and more footage is released that the word of mouth will spread much wider.

I've seen already there is a large casual following keeping an eye on this game. I think some of the lack of hype so far is simply people don't want to jinx it LOL. There is nothing even remotely similar in development anywhere that I'm aware of but this game so far by my observation is meeting the ever growing demand for freedom and something bold and different than another WOW knock off.

"I've seen already there is a large casual following keeping an eye on this game"

There are several threads on swgemu talking about the similarity between SWg and the repopulation.

Swgemu forum it's >100k members. I bet they will keep an eye on it...

Bardus

Novice Member

8/28/12 10:42:29 PM#10
Originally posted by dijou

"I've seen already there is a large casual following keeping an eye on this game"

There are several threads on swgemu talking about the similarity between SWg and the repopulation.

Swgemu forum it's >100k members. I bet they will keep an eye on it...

Yep, I'm one of them myself.

I've had people send me PMs from this site asking me about it, all my old guild from SWG makes me keep them updated, I'm in a couple of Facebook groups were everyone milks me for info, I see Repop mentioned everyday in forums and article comments when that old debate flairs from themepark verses sandbox.

I don't believe gamers really need a lot of ads blinding them on what games are coming, I think we all pretty much know from word of mouth.

I think Repop is hyping itself from the shear audacity of breaking the mode and going back to gaming roots when nobody used the term end game because the content never ends when the '4th pillar' content is our own imagination.

ktanner3

Master

Trolls will be ignored

8/31/12 1:38:44 PM#11

No one knows except the ones working on it. It does seem to be the only one of the new releases working towards that goal. 

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

SirBalin

Warmonger

8/31/12 1:48:00 PM#12

As a person that was in the community early on, as well as a donator on kickstarter and a beta tester, i'll say this:

1.  The dev team played SWG and UO and wanted to make something sandboxy and along the style, so there will be similiarities

2.  Overall goal is there and the team has great passion

3.  The downfall, and the reason I just finally turned away is the community.  While the community is extremely nice,...I don't think i've ever been around one that is more carebear.  The dev team understands the importance of pvpers and pvers in a game, but anything you post about pvp instantly would get slammed by tons of pvers.  While this type of thing can happen a lot, i've never seen a more lopsided community.  That said, as  a dev team...I can't blame them if they just cator to the masses on those forums, the beta testers included.  I went ahead and left as I see no reason following something for a year or two to have it turn into nothing more than a crafters dream world.  The devs have said this won't happen...hope they are right...but i'm staying away until it's proven for me...they have my $250.00...so, I won't totally bail...lol.

Incognito
www.incognito-gaming.us
"You're either with us or against us"

Bardus

Novice Member

8/31/12 2:26:55 PM#13
Originally posted by afhn2110

As a person that was in the community early on, as well as a donator on kickstarter and a beta tester, i'll say this:

1.  The dev team played SWG and UO and wanted to make something sandboxy and along the style, so there will be similiarities

3.  The downfall, and the reason I just finally turned away is the community.  While the community is extremely nice,...I don't think i've ever been around one that is more carebear.  The dev team understands the importance of pvpers and pvers in a game, but anything you post about pvp instantly would get slammed by tons of pvers.  While this type of thing can happen a lot, i've never seen a more lopsided community.  That said, as  a dev team...I can't blame them if they just cator to the masses on those forums, the beta testers included.  I went ahead and left as I see no reason following something for a year or two to have it turn into nothing more than a crafters dream world.  The devs have said this won't happen...hope they are right...but i'm staying away until it's proven for me...they have my $250.00...so, I won't totally bail...lol.

I don't get it. What exactly is more carebear? What I see in the community goes a lot more for the hardcore.

Jeez, someone brings up a subject suggesting something convinience and in 5 minutes there are 10 post calling the OP a carebear. Some people even want us to walk across the world to get our speeder back if we lose it LOL.

I don't know what your suggesting at all. Also, your making no reference to the game having different rules servers.

What exactly is proper gameplay to you if your saying Repop is extream carebear? I really will like to know.

SirBalin

Warmonger

8/31/12 3:55:26 PM#14

I don't get it. What exactly is more carebear? What I see in the community goes a lot more for the hardcore.

Jeez, someone brings up a subject suggesting something convinience and in 5 minutes there are 10 post calling the OP a carebear. Some people even want us to walk across the world to get our speeder back if we lose it LOL.

I don't know what your suggesting at all. Also, your making no reference to the game having different rules servers.

What exactly is proper gameplay to you if your saying Repop is extream carebear? I really will like to know.

So you should read the entire post, I never called the OP a carebear.  The game, "MAY" have two servers...but what i'm talking about is simply how every single post regarding anything with pvp is instantly shot down.  There were three people that I talked to some on the forums there that were very much into pvp.  All three of us left because the softy carebear community.  Again, I hope that the devs look past those vocal carebears and they seem to mention that they will.  Actually, the lead dev even went as far as to messgae with me explaining that he understands that there are two communities and both need addressed.  Its just soooooo extreme carebear amongst that community.  Go read the forums...its quite obvious.  For example, I made a post just getting people pumped saying that our clan was going to be looking for another clan and going to roll them at launch.  Was a clan we had wars with from the past, all in good fun.  Nothing serious at all...literally three people message me and post how that is not accepted and they are proud to say they've kept this type of behavior off the forums.  Then I got a message from their admin saying it was wrong.  I was shocked, messaged the lead dev and said is this real?  He responded saying he didn't see anything wrong with the comment and he could see it was all in good fun.  He went on to explain the two communities and that his plan is to try to have two seperate servers for this.  Again, all this over a nothing comment, I respect the dev (more like ceo) for understanding that this was a bit crazy, but still...I can't expect him to look past the masses, and the carebears seem to be the masses in this game.  The carebear kids are even posting that its stupid to have the pvp (they call it the hardcore server) because it will split the community, so basically...nearly everything has been done and is being done to prevent a solid pvp game.  In the end, my feeling is that this game will end up as a crafting mmo with little pockets, or large pockets of pvp...not at all what i'm looking for. 

One last time, I hope I'm wrong and i'm not saying that my feelings are what the devs are expressing...they have actually said that they are planning the seperate servers...hope they do.

Incognito
www.incognito-gaming.us

Bardus

Novice Member

8/31/12 4:55:57 PM#15

So you should read the entire post, I never called the OP a carebear.  The game, "MAY" have two servers...but what i'm talking about is simply how every single post regarding anything with pvp is instantly shot down.  There were three people that I talked to some on the forums there that were very much into pvp.  All three of us left because the softy carebear community.  Again, I hope that the devs look past those vocal carebears and they seem to mention that they will.  Actually, the lead dev even went as far as to messgae with me explaining that he understands that there are two communities and both need addressed.  Its just soooooo extreme carebear amongst that community.  Go read the forums...its quite obvious.  For example, I made a post just getting people pumped saying that our clan was going to be looking for another clan and going to roll them at launch.  Was a clan we had wars with from the past, all in good fun.  Nothing serious at all...literally three people message me and post how that is not accepted and they are proud to say they've kept this type of behavior off the forums.  Then I got a message from their admin saying it was wrong.  I was shocked, messaged the lead dev and said is this real?  He responded saying he didn't see anything wrong with the comment and he could see it was all in good fun.  He went on to explain the two communities and that his plan is to try to have two seperate servers for this.  Again, all this over a nothing comment, I respect the dev (more like ceo) for understanding that this was a bit crazy, but still...I can't expect him to look past the masses, and the carebears seem to be the masses in this game.  The carebear kids are even posting that its stupid to have the pvp (they call it the hardcore server) because it will split the community, so basically...nearly everything has been done and is being done to prevent a solid pvp game.  In the end, my feeling is that this game will end up as a crafting mmo with little pockets, or large pockets of pvp...not at all what i'm looking for. 

One last time, I hope I'm wrong and i'm not saying that my feelings are what the devs are expressing...they have actually said that they are planning the seperate servers...hope they do.

I didn't mean the OP of this thread. I was talking about threads in the official forum.

I don't know the thread your talking about, guess I missed that one. I do maybe understand what your saying but I think your prejudging it a bit too soon and yes your saying you hope you are. The official forum is still relatively small and there are several we can call "hardcore crafters" and myself having played SWG can say that crafters don't want anything to do with PVP. It's like when PVP is mentioned to a SWG vet crafter, they go into convultions. Shouldn't be anything wrong with that, to each their own and Repop is trying to offer hardcore PVP along with hardcore crafting. Since gathering resources is going to require the crafters to venture into the open world I'll say the game in more leaning to the PVPer even on what they are calling a normal rules server.

Seriously, we can't be too surprised to see nonPVPers jockeying for less PVP. The way the game is set up they cant fully avoid it and if anything they should be the most concerned. I wouldn't put much stock into getting hate post from anyone over wanting more hardcore PVP. You have to admit though, extreme rules PVP is the minority of gamers. Thank WOW for starting that but most people are too spoiled to even imagine hardcore PVP. I think the devs understand this and they know they have to cater to the less extreme or the game will be way too niche. I think they understand there are still a good bunch of gamers that do want more hardcore PVP so the devs are putting effort in different rules servers. Why would they even bother with the work in different rules to separate servers otherwise?

Another thing is when talking about this game is because of different rules servers the community hasn't been segregated yet with preferences. We are all intermingling and the different mindsets don't mesh well I know. Maybe they need to put in forum topics just for the carebears and hardcore so they don't bump heads.

If you made the testing team and left because your worried the game is going too casual, I think you left too soon. I don't think most of the rules for either mindset have been determined yet and if you want more hardcore PVP then leaving the community is only hurting your stance since your one less campaigning for your point of view. See what I'm saying? Your going to let the casuals win and not placing your votes on what should be the rules on the hardcore server? Just tell any carebears to bug off and your not talking about them, they have their server to worry  about and you have yours.

SirBalin

Warmonger

8/31/12 8:50:57 PM#16

I didn't mean the OP of this thread. I was talking about threads in the official forum.

I don't know the thread your talking about, guess I missed that one. I do maybe understand what your saying but I think your prejudging it a bit too soon and yes your saying you hope you are. The official forum is still relatively small and there are several we can call "hardcore crafters" and myself having played SWG can say that crafters don't want anything to do with PVP. It's like when PVP is mentioned to a SWG vet crafter, they go into convultions. Shouldn't be anything wrong with that, to each their own and Repop is trying to offer hardcore PVP along with hardcore crafting. Since gathering resources is going to require the crafters to venture into the open world I'll say the game in more leaning to the PVPer even on what they are calling a normal rules server.

Seriously, we can't be too surprised to see nonPVPers jockeying for less PVP. The way the game is set up they cant fully avoid it and if anything they should be the most concerned. I wouldn't put much stock into getting hate post from anyone over wanting more hardcore PVP. You have to admit though, extreme rules PVP is the minority of gamers. Thank WOW for starting that but most people are too spoiled to even imagine hardcore PVP. I think the devs understand this and they know they have to cater to the less extreme or the game will be way too niche. I think they understand there are still a good bunch of gamers that do want more hardcore PVP so the devs are putting effort in different rules servers. Why would they even bother with the work in different rules to separate servers otherwise?

Another thing is when talking about this game is because of different rules servers the community hasn't been segregated yet with preferences. We are all intermingling and the different mindsets don't mesh well I know. Maybe they need to put in forum topics just for the carebears and hardcore so they don't bump heads.

If you made the testing team and left because your worried the game is going too casual, I think you left too soon. I don't think most of the rules for either mindset have been determined yet and if you want more hardcore PVP then leaving the community is only hurting your stance since your one less campaigning for your point of view. See what I'm saying? Your going to let the casuals win and not placing your votes on what should be the rules on the hardcore server? Just tell any carebears to bug off and your not talking about them, they have their server to worry  about and you have yours.

Hope you are right for sure

Incognito
www.incognito-gaming.us

LoverNoFighter

Novice Member

SWG pre cu > all

9/06/12 4:20:52 AM#17

SWG pre cu - the real SWG was the most fun game I've ever played.

I hope this game incorporates the features that made SWG stand out from the boring masses of cookie cutter MMOs.

o2jpl

Novice Member

9/07/12 12:20:41 PM#18
Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

SWG pre cu - the real SWG was the most fun game I've ever played.

I hope this game incorporates the features that made SWG stand out from the boring masses of cookie cutter MMOs.

I have to agree with you about SWG. However, Repop is not SWG. Repop, is however incorporating multiple variations of features that SWG had. The game is not SWG and I dont think anyone should expect it to be. [mod edit] Repop owners are very interactive with its communtity and have a vision of creating a great game.

With that said, if you are interested in seeing the game succeed, sign up on the forums and add your 2 cents. Kickstarter just started as well.  I recently just signed up on their official forums and I can see this game succeed.

Rocky @ repop.

ktanner3

Master

Trolls will be ignored

9/08/12 10:02:24 AM#19
I thought the way SWG did PVP was the right way. Just flag yourself and have at it. No need to make seperate servers for that alone. 

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

ZigZags

Novice Member

9/12/12 1:07:25 PM#20
Originally posted by ktanner3
I thought the way SWG did PVP was the right way. Just flag yourself and have at it. No need to make seperate servers for that alone. 

Talk about the worst pvp system ever. "Flag yourself"? Being able to control when and if you can be attacked is too "Hello kitty island adventure" for anybody with a backbone in gaming.

Now: Skyrim
Later: ?
Played: M59, UO, EQ, Runescape, DAOC, SB, EQ2, WoW, EVE, Darkfall, AoC, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, SWTOR
BOYCOTTING: EA/BioWare/Origin/SOE

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search