Trending Games | The Crew | Elder Scrolls Online | Lichdom: Battlemage | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,846,161 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,222,185
Goblinworks | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Paizo Publishing
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Pathfinder Online Forum » General Discussion » Only game worth waiting for.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
24 posts found
  MumboJumbo

Hard Core Member

Veni, Vidi, Converti

7/19/13 12:05:48 PM#21
Originally posted by bill4747

I am disappointed. Should I be?

While I hope that Pathfinder Online is a great game, and will likely play it, I am disappointed.

Once again, a dnd themed game will not use the dnd rules. 

Is it really that difficult to implement? Or is my cynical theory true, that the designers just want to do it their way?

This is not an attack on the game designers; I just wish a dnd game would actually use the dnd rules.

There's some explanation in the blog: Murder By Numbers > Core Combat Math

Ultimately, they can't license the OGL using computer software due to additional licenses required with the end user. But in terms of the actual game, if they'd chosen a Baldur's Gate sort of game well maybe it could be closer eg Project Eternity

IE:

1. Turn-Based
  2. Party-Based
  3. Combat-Centric

As they chose an MMORPG (for whatever reasons): Wider scope in addition to the "DnD rules for things like combat" eg running a kingdom, building a shop etc, it also changes. I don't know why they did not chose a Baldur's Gate game, perhaps the allure of a virtual world with persistent characters and story-generation really could be done, ie do for fantasy what eve has done for sci-fi - in a way?

Xeen88

Novice Member

7/20/13 12:52:58 AM#22
Originally posted by bill4747

I am disappointed. Should I be?

While I hope that Pathfinder Online is a great game, and will likely play it, I am disappointed.

Once again, a dnd themed game will not use the dnd rules. 

Is it really that difficult to implement? Or is my cynical theory true, that the designers just want to do it their way?

This is not an attack on the game designers; I just wish a dnd game would actually use the dnd rules.

Then DDO or Neverwinter Online are the games for you. 

The PFO guys did not want to follow the same old boring level game. There are tons of Themepark games out there for you. This is a open world pvp sandbox game. Having level caps and level restrictions are not fun.

Sawlstone

Novice Member

8/01/13 9:37:32 AM#23
The common cold killer!!!
  iridescence

Elite Member

10/08/13 6:55:41 PM#24

Yeah, after watching some preview vids of EQ:N and ArcheAge, PFO and  maybe SotA  have gone back to being the only MMOs I'm really hyped for.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search