Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,729 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,097
NCSoft | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:NCSoft
Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Forum » General Discussion » Lineage: What D3 *COULD* Have been!

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
94 posts found
  Havekk

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/14/08
Posts: 1362

11/10/11 12:41:39 PM#41

Who would have thought it... D3's not even out yet and it's already a failure. You guys never disipoint me...lol

  OgreRaper

Novice Member

Joined: 6/20/11
Posts: 381

11/10/11 4:18:43 PM#42
Originally posted by Praetalus

Who would have thought it... D3's not even out yet and it's already a failure. You guys never disipoint me...lol

 

I have no doubt D3 will be great. But honestly, I'm not interested in it because it's not an MMO. Same reason why I loved Lineage 1 and played it on and off for years, while D1 and D2 was very MEH for me, I just don't even care anymore about RPG's that aren't MMO's.

  BelegStrongbow

Novice Member

Joined: 11/10/08
Posts: 284

11/10/11 4:41:17 PM#43

I want to make love to this game.  I think I found my soulmate

  mugengaia

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/27/04
Posts: 363

11/10/11 5:05:50 PM#44
Originally posted by Axehilt
Originally posted by Yuui

Mind you, as I said about this trailer on L2 forums of this very website, This seems to be a far more like a mmo than D3 is. Its more in line with Lineage 1 and if its more in line with Lineage 1 there's a great chance that they won't instance it as much as they do with other games of that nature.

Also let's not forget that LE focuses on massive siege warfare. This trailer was just showing off first 3 classes out of 5. There's whole other side than PVE that is still left unseen and we still did not have the announcement itself at G*Star (only press conference announcement), as we will most likely see a whole lot more this weekend :)

Unfortunately that sounds like there's also a great chance of ultra-grind ruining the fun before it begins.

...and the Diablo series wasn't a grind to lvl99?  Have you even played Diablo 1 and 2?  And by the way, the only reason Diablo 1 and 2 didn't seem like grinds were, because the mindless hack and slashing albeit random instances worked in the past.

There's no guarantee that the same formula will be as successful nowadays. 

You can clearly tell Lineage Eternal takes the same Diablo series' concept of mindless hack and slashing. 

The same forumla that's worked for Torchlight, Neverwinter series, and Diablo series.

Difference in Lineage Eternal and Diablo 3 is the truely MMO aspect of the too.  One is completely instance based outside of towns, and the other may be persistent, or partially instanced.

We'll have to see after release, but the only thing that would separate hack and slash games are the quality of contents, not even the quantity of content.

Every hack and slash is a grind, it's preference as to whether or not that gameplay fits your taste. 

Diablo 2 was a grind, at best it repetitive and tedious.  The only reason it was still fun to play wasn't because it was such a non-grind easy fed game like WoW, it just had mindless explosions of dozens of mobs on the screen with pretty lights everywhere, which were eye-candy, and the formula worked like butter in the past.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

GRIND sucks? You wanna be max level in a month?
Since when did society award easy-goers and lazy-fools?
MAKES ME PHOBIC OF STUPIDITY!

  Axehilt

Novice Member

Joined: 5/09/09
Posts: 7213

11/10/11 10:18:05 PM#45
Originally posted by mugengaia
Originally posted by Axehilt
Originally posted by Yuui

Mind you, as I said about this trailer on L2 forums of this very website, This seems to be a far more like a mmo than D3 is. Its more in line with Lineage 1 and if its more in line with Lineage 1 there's a great chance that they won't instance it as much as they do with other games of that nature.

Also let's not forget that LE focuses on massive siege warfare. This trailer was just showing off first 3 classes out of 5. There's whole other side than PVE that is still left unseen and we still did not have the announcement itself at G*Star (only press conference announcement), as we will most likely see a whole lot more this weekend :)

Unfortunately that sounds like there's also a great chance of ultra-grind ruining the fun before it begins.

...and the Diablo series wasn't a grind to lvl99?  Have you even played Diablo 1 and 2?  And by the way, the only reason Diablo 1 and 2 didn't seem like grinds were, because the mindless hack and slashing albeit random instances worked in the past.

There's no guarantee that the same formula will be as successful nowadays. 

You can clearly tell Lineage Eternal takes the same Diablo series' concept of mindless hack and slashing. 

The same forumla that's worked for Torchlight, Neverwinter series, and Diablo series.

Difference in Lineage Eternal and Diablo 3 is the truely MMO aspect of the too.  One is completely instance based outside of towns, and the other may be persistent, or partially instanced.

We'll have to see after release, but the only thing that would separate hack and slash games are the quality of contents, not even the quantity of content.

Every hack and slash is a grind, it's preference as to whether or not that gameplay fits your taste. 

Diablo 2 was a grind, at best it repetitive and tedious.  The only reason it was still fun to play wasn't because it was such a non-grind easy fed game like WoW, it just had mindless explosions of dozens of mobs on the screen with pretty lights everywhere, which were eye-candy, and the formula worked like butter in the past.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

I didn't play til level 99.  I usually played characters til the end of the 2nd difficulty (sometimes to nightmare), then quit.  Grinding to 99 was kinda worthless.

The reason Diablo didn't feel like a grind was the variety to mobs, items, abilities and (to a lesser degree) game levels.

The only Blizzard game that felt remotely grindy was at-release WOW.  Meanwhile Lineage 2 is my textbook definition of Grind.  A direct result of how much desire each company had to avoid the game feeling grindy.

To be fair, Diablo2's biggest failing was not letting players jump straight into harder difficulties if they wanted.  The starting difficulty was WAY too easy for a veteran gamer for the first two acts (it remained too easy beyond that, but the first two acts were the most extreme case.)

But at least this was offset by tons of things to unlock and try out during those early levels.  Whereas I think I got one new ability 5-10 mins into Lineage 2 -- and then spent literally 6+ hours grinding with the exact same skills the exact same way, with no variation or interesting gameplay (nuke-nuke-nuke-nuke-done, repeat)

LE *might* break the trend, but L2 certainly showed no indication that its designers wanted to keep gameplay fresh and dynamic.

  stayontarget

Guide

Joined: 10/04/08
Posts: 6127

Girlfriends come and go but Epic battles are Soulbound

11/10/11 10:26:01 PM#46
Originally posted by Praetalus

Who would have thought it... D3's not even out yet and it's already a failure. You guys never disipoint me...lol

No not at all, its just that from what we have seen so far it could have been more than just "D2 with a new coat of paint".  Because from what i have seen so far that is exactly what it is.

 

very dissappointing so far.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

  Jockan

Hard Core Member

Joined: 9/03/08
Posts: 4111

11/11/11 6:24:11 PM#47

Anybody who says this game cant compete with Diablo 3 is crazy. 

  Distopia

Drifter

Joined: 11/22/05
Posts: 15528

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

11/11/11 6:35:16 PM#48
Originally posted by uidCaustic

Looks like another MMO best played with a controller.  Not interested.

O,o What???

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

  Aori

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/28/06
Posts: 1787

11/11/11 9:21:34 PM#49
Originally posted by Unlight
Originally posted by Unlight

Remarkable vid.  I don't know anything about the Lineage series.  What are the chances of seeing it localized for North America?

Heh, it just keeps getting easier to watch Diablo disappear in the rearview mirror.

That wasn't a rhetorical question; I'd actually like to cure my ignorance.  How well might it translate for western audiences based on the previous games in the franchise?

It'll most likely be localized in NA, however there are some things to consider. It'll most likely take a year after korean release before it hits NA. That is assuming they follow the trend of their previous lineage games.

The biggest thing to consider with this is management, NCW is on its way out and most likely will be controlled by korea when its time here comes to fruitiion. IF NCW maintains stability and avoids the chopping block with this F2P lineage2 thing going on.. then the game may fall to the same failures lineage2 did.

To help your ignorance i'll tell you a bit of Lineage2's current standing and its previous era. Lineage2 started off a lil slow but held a strong following early on from beta to about the end of the chronicle updates. This game had probably one of the most corrupt communities i have seen to date. No game has come remotely close to the cheating this one has. For years the corruption grew and grew as it was more or less the fight fire with fire mentality.

Lineage2 IMO gave true rise to the RMT market. Near the end of C5 maybe 10-15% of the community across i think 9 or 10 servers i forget now were legitimate. However the top 10% of the non legits weren't spending just dollars but thousands of dollars to get ahead of the pack. Lineage is a pvp based game, money is everything.. very high risk vs reward system. The more money ya got the more powerful you can be.

However RMT wasn't the only issue, Botting and various 3rd party assistant programs ran rampant for awhile. IF you ever heard of a bot train it was most likely from a lineage2 player. These trains consisted of usually 7-9 members who farmed 24/7, you would have 5-6 of these trains per hunting field. The other 3rd party programs would give an unfair advantage in pvp.

So here we are at the point, the RMT ran rampant for years and is now currently being actively being monitored and will eventually lead to a ban.  Most botting has been quelled and is monitored fairly well. 3rd party pvp assist programs are still a huge issue and no action supposedly can be taken.

So the community that was once respectable in size has fallen far because unchecked cheaters, the legits eventually converted to cheating to combat the cheaters themselves and after years of non-enforced rules they hit the on switch and the majority sees a ban thus causing the demise of the game.

TL;DR So the NCwest customer service and GM staff were piss poor at the onset of the lineage2's life in the west. A bad taste in alot of peoples mouth which may lead to a fail or corrupted launch of any new NCwest controlled product.

Btw they can't communicate to save their lives.

  Aori

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/28/06
Posts: 1787

11/11/11 9:26:13 PM#50
Originally posted by Mannish

Anybody who says this game cant compete with Diablo 3 is crazy. 

if it was to be released in a time frame remotely close to what D3 is going to be then yes it would compete, however if it follows how ncsoft works then we won't see it until 2013 at the earliest. Also D3 is B2P, we don't know if LE will have a sub or store.

  Torvaldr

Elite Member

Joined: 6/10/09
Posts: 5671

11/11/11 9:57:57 PM#51

I loved Lineage.  It was my first MMO and I had so much fun with it.  The community was great and there was tons of drama and pvp.

The video was awesome.  I don't want to get my hopes and expectations up, but I am excited to see this and that doesn't happen very often anymore.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

  Majinash

Apprentice Member

Joined: 4/11/08
Posts: 1343

11/11/11 10:01:13 PM#52

I want to say I'm suprised this thread has gotten so big so quickly, but I'm really not.

 

We have a game that has ONE trailer and a few screenshots, that we didn't know was even in the works until what.. yesterday? and Instantly someone starts a "wow killer" thread about D3.

 

WoW killer threads are stupid, more so when the game that is going to kill WoW isn't even playable yet, even MORE so when the game that is going to be killed isn't even out yet either.

 

Hey guys, this game we know nothing about is going to destroy this game that we havn't played!

Everything creates huge amounts of negativity on the internet, that's what the internet is for: Negativity, porn and lolcats.

  SuperXero89

Advanced Member

Joined: 8/16/09
Posts: 2609

11/11/11 10:09:43 PM#53

The mother of all Korean F2P grinders gets a 3D upgrade that looks like a browser game, and people proclaim NCSoft the new king of MMORPGs.  What planet am I living on?

  Torvaldr

Elite Member

Joined: 6/10/09
Posts: 5671

11/11/11 10:18:41 PM#54
Originally posted by SuperXero89

The mother of all Korean F2P grinders gets a 3D upgrade that looks like a browser game, and people proclaim NCSoft the new king of MMORPGs.  What planet am I living on?

You're living on the planet of ignorance.

 

Lineage was never F2P.  In fact it was the only MMO I ever played that never charged extra for a content update or expansion.  The subscription was $15/month and it included everything the game had to offer.

Even for a 2.5D isometric sprite based game it still looked really nice and the music was immersive and awesome.

Even though it wasn't as popular in the West as in Asia, it was the largest sub-based MMO before WoW.  It pre-dated EQ and only followed UO by a month.  It was the King of MMOs for a few years.

Yes, there was a king and there were MMOs before WoW.

 

I don't care about the comparison to D3.  Diablo (I played 1 and 2) doesn't really mean  much  to me.  I'm excited to see NC keeping on with the Lineage franchise.  The real question here: Is Jake Song involved with the development?  I heard he was working on something with NCSoft again.  Is this is?

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

  Jockan

Hard Core Member

Joined: 9/03/08
Posts: 4111

11/12/11 12:47:06 AM#55
Originally posted by SuperXero89

The mother of all Korean F2P grinders gets a 3D upgrade that looks like a browser game, and people proclaim NCSoft the new king of MMORPGs.  What planet am I living on?

 

 

Good question because it sure as hell aint earth. LOL

  User Deleted
 
OP  11/13/11 2:55:12 PM#56

For those jumping on this thread without even reading, it is stated that Diablo 3, could have been more than just a re-skinned D2. 

With lineage we have a full fledged MMO, massive siege battles, large scale pvp, a more in depth combat system. So yes from an MMO perspective, hell even a Diablo style gaming perspective, this game ALREADY looks better in this early stage, from what I personally have seen of both games. 

 

  Aori

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/28/06
Posts: 1787

11/13/11 3:13:43 PM#57
Originally posted by DarkAsmodeus

For those jumping on this thread without even reading, it is stated that Diablo 3, could have been more than just a re-skinned D2. 

With lineage we have a full fledged MMO, massive siege battles, large scale pvp, a more in depth combat system. So yes from an MMO perspective, hell even a Diablo style gaming perspective, this game ALREADY looks better in this early stage, from what I personally have seen of both games. 

 

Then you obviously haven't looked into Diablo 3 at all if you believe its just a reskinned version of D2.

  fony

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/14/10
Posts: 799

11/13/11 3:27:54 PM#58

OP, you forgot something.

 

http://www.co.benton.ar.us/Media/Image/FireMarshal/FlameShield.png

  fundayz

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 10/14/10
Posts: 471

11/13/11 7:19:04 PM#59
Originally posted by Aori
Originally posted by DarkAsmodeus

For those jumping on this thread without even reading, it is stated that Diablo 3, could have been more than just a re-skinned D2. 

With lineage we have a full fledged MMO, massive siege battles, large scale pvp, a more in depth combat system. So yes from an MMO perspective, hell even a Diablo style gaming perspective, this game ALREADY looks better in this early stage, from what I personally have seen of both games. 

 

Then you obviously haven't looked into Diablo 3 at all if you believe its just a reskinned version of D2.

You are right, it's not just a reskinned version of D2; it's a cartoonified, Pay2Win version of D2 w/ hotkeys.

  kalinis

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/11/10
Posts: 1444

11/13/11 7:26:34 PM#60

anyone trying to convince these people of anythig good with diablo 3 are wasting there time. I have learned this with tor haters. 

they use lies and downright misinformation to try to prove there poinjts because the facts dont support them. if ive learned one thing about mmorpg users its there penchance for lies to support and unsupportable opinion and nothing will stop them from yelling its true even when its not. 

i dont anything about lineage and i know almost nothing about diablo 3. but i do know tellign people diablo 3 is its own game and not what they say it is will just make them tell more lies that have no real support. 

this ive learned from tor haters. and wow haters. and since diablo 3 is made by activision blizzard they will yell it sucks till they die just cause they hate activision/blizzard. 

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search