Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,458 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,447
Webzen Inc. | Official Site
Action RPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 07/11/12)  | Pub:Webzen Inc.
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
23 posts found
  stratasaurus

Apprentice Member

9/06/12 9:15:48 PM#21
Originally posted by SaintGraye

There is nothing sexist about gender-locked classes, save they remain so for strictly exploitive purposes.

To whit: assume a warrior class is solely male and a cleric female in order to appeal to the classic archetypes of the "fierce" man and "protective" woman. This is an acceptable, if somewhat stale trope. The example becomes sexist, passively so, only if the characteristics of each are explicity exagerrated. For instance, the cleric class is restricted to wearing very skimpy outfits that reveal ample cleavage whereas the male becomes ever more hidden behind layers of steel. You should note that this is both male- and female-oriented sexism, as it implies both a non-existent level of objectivity in respect to women and a prototypically oafish characteristic of men (in short, the "women are whores" and "men are all potential murderers" argument).

As to Continent of the Ninth, the relative "sexism" of their character-design is subjective. Sexism itself largely is, hence we have misogynistic/misandrist men and woman alike, the world over... but that's largely irrelevant to this thread. My point is this: there may be extenuating circumstances which prohibit the developers from adding non-gender-locked classes.

The most obvious, if we were to speculate, would be a mere lack of resources. True, perhaps the models are all "there in game" (as you put it) but integrating them seamlessly demands someone's time, for which they must be compensated. Perhaps select animations are missing or improperly keyed? Or certain weapons/armor don't morph properly when equipped? Perhaps adding the opposite gender would necessitate a complete revamp of certain mechanics (such as character creation, which must now be extended to accomodate such)? In any case, there's work to be done and it won't be free. Then again, perhaps there is some manner of engine limitation or their publisher merely refused to allow it (which in turn might be linked to their marketing of the product which, quite often, is blatantly sexist stuff).

Whatever the case, please, at least attempt to consider the possibilities before making such flagrant accusations. True, it makes for decent discourse, and you get eccentrics like me popping out of the woodwork to argue about it, but I hardly think that merits the hassle...

Sigh uhm yeah if you say women can't be fierce and men can't be protective that is called being sexist.

Uccisore

Novice Member

9/06/12 9:45:40 PM#22
Originally posted by stratasaurus
Originally posted by SaintGraye

There is nothing sexist about gender-locked classes, save they remain so for strictly exploitive purposes.

To whit: assume a warrior class is solely male and a cleric female in order to appeal to the classic archetypes of the "fierce" man and "protective" woman. This is an acceptable, if somewhat stale trope. The example becomes sexist, passively so, only if the characteristics of each are explicity exagerrated. For instance, the cleric class is restricted to wearing very skimpy outfits that reveal ample cleavage whereas the male becomes ever more hidden behind layers of steel. You should note that this is both male- and female-oriented sexism, as it implies both a non-existent level of objectivity in respect to women and a prototypically oafish characteristic of men (in short, the "women are whores" and "men are all potential murderers" argument).

As to Continent of the Ninth, the relative "sexism" of their character-design is subjective. Sexism itself largely is, hence we have misogynistic/misandrist men and woman alike, the world over... but that's largely irrelevant to this thread. My point is this: there may be extenuating circumstances which prohibit the developers from adding non-gender-locked classes.

The most obvious, if we were to speculate, would be a mere lack of resources. True, perhaps the models are all "there in game" (as you put it) but integrating them seamlessly demands someone's time, for which they must be compensated. Perhaps select animations are missing or improperly keyed? Or certain weapons/armor don't morph properly when equipped? Perhaps adding the opposite gender would necessitate a complete revamp of certain mechanics (such as character creation, which must now be extended to accomodate such)? In any case, there's work to be done and it won't be free. Then again, perhaps there is some manner of engine limitation or their publisher merely refused to allow it (which in turn might be linked to their marketing of the product which, quite often, is blatantly sexist stuff).

Whatever the case, please, at least attempt to consider the possibilities before making such flagrant accusations. True, it makes for decent discourse, and you get eccentrics like me popping out of the woodwork to argue about it, but I hardly think that merits the hassle...

Sigh uhm yeah if you say women can't be fierce and men can't be protective that is called being sexist.

Um, a fighter isn't just a 'fierce' person.  A 4 year old child who didn't get an extra cookie can be 'fierce'.  I suppose the game doesn't let you play 4-year-old fighters either.  How ageist of them!

B1mble

Apprentice Member

9/14/12 4:29:13 PM#23

I didn't find the game any different from others I have played so I find sexism to be a moot and somewhat dated issue.

What did bother me though was that the  template for  creating a hunter looked like Justin Bieber and I thought that that class was better suited for a male rather than the girl that was on the screen.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search