Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,890 Users Online:0
Games:754  Posts:6,270,789
Piranha Games | Official Site
MMOTPS | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 2012)  | Pub:Piranha Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

MechWarrior Online Forum » General Discussion » UI 2.0: Three monkeys, ten minutes

8 posts found
  codejack

Novice Member

OP  2/19/14 7:46:17 AM#1

I once had a job liquidating bankrupt businesses; during the dot com bust, it was about the only thing going and I was lucky to have it.

One week, I found myself inventorying a company that had tried to market an "easy-to-use" alternative user interface for windows; based on the principles of a certain religious cult, it had a 75 parameter setup questionnaire to configure the desktop, after which was a tutorial to explain that there were no single-button or -key commands, everything had to be modified by ctrl-, alt- or shift-.

It had a garish, "high contrast" color scheme (green and orange!) that you were not allowed to change, the multi-step commands interfered with many applications, and, since it had been in development for almost a decade (it actually predated Windows 95), it was not compatible with hypertext links in web browsers, so you couldn't use the Internet.

I mention this because, up until now, that was the worst user interface I had ever seen in my entire life. MWO's UI 2.0 beats it hands down, though.

Now, no one would argue that the old UI was good; it was clunky and garish, not to mention annoying in some of its functionality, but at least it had functionality!

UI 2.0 is visually.... well, not "appealing," but it is less cluttered than the old one. That is, until you actually try to do anything, at which point, it buries you.

Want to know your loadout at a glance? Too bad! Want to change an engine from one mech to another? Hope you have all afternoon. Want to know the actual gear on a new mech before you purchase it? Caveat Emptor must be their motto... which would explain a lot of things about this game.

I once commented that the "game" mode in MWO was just a cash farm so you could keep playing with the mechlab; now, not only is there no real game mode, but there is no reason to save up the money since it isn't any fun to play with the 'lab, anymore, either.

Did they hang their development flowchart upside-down or something? This game never got out of beta, and now it seems like it has reverted to alpha.

Thorqemada

Elite Member

2/20/14 3:25:38 PM#2

Yeah - UI2.0 is Alpha and will be worked on and tweaked over the course of the coming months.
I would even eat that if they would show their capability (competence and ressources) to do so.

Time will tell...

But currently is is a huge backstep!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
The Very Model of a Modern Major General (Grievous): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoiQw7kPqf8

tawess

Elite Member

2/20/14 3:59:46 PM#3

Yupp. It has what happens when you design a interface that did not support the actual features that you were developing to be the meat of the game.

Re-design and do over... With no real time to work out the kinks and get full functionality in.

But having worked with DOS-Shell this is still better. So not the worst UI i have ever used and it does have a lot more potential compared to the old one. Sure in hindsight they should have tried to get a better designer/coder for it. But it is what it is and at least it now supports the functions it need to support (i hope)

Tomas Soapbox

This have been a good conversation

codejack

Novice Member

OP  2/27/14 7:40:45 AM#4
Originally posted by tawess

But having worked with DOS-Shell this is still better.

DOS worked.

h0urg1ass

Advanced Member

2/27/14 8:09:49 AM#5

I honestly want to know what this company is doing with everyone's money.

They had the kickstarter where they offered the Operation Inception founder pack, which by the way at the time they promised they wouldn't do anything like that again.

Then they broke that promise and offered another limited time offer, the Project Phoenix pack.

Then they continued to break that promise and offered another limited time offer The Clan Collection.

Each of these packs had a full price of over 100 dollars and hundreds of people bought them.  So where's that money going?  I don't see any of the planned game features.  I see a barely functional full screen UI after several years of development, but what do I see primarily?  Premium Mechs.  They take our money by the wheelbarrow load and turn that money into more premium mechs and that's literally the only content I've seen in years.

It's pathetic and damn near criminal.

h0urg1ass

Advanced Member

3/02/14 12:40:44 PM#6

I was on a business trip when you started this thread.  I came back this weekend and downloaded the game again.  I haven't played at all since last October when I got bored, fed up and uninstalled.

I see what you mean now.  The new UI is counter-intuitive.  Things that actually worked better in the smaller UI are now backasswards.  I don't have a lot of creds, so I tend to swap the same engine around for several mechs.  It seems as if they want to annoy people until they spend all of their credits on engines because swapping them between mechs is a PITA now.

I've been playing EVE Online now for about eight years.  It is also a Vehicle+Module based game.  How and why didn't they simply look at the EVE model and basically copy something that works perfectly?  The EVE model allows you to instantly see every module on your ship at a glance without annoying and pointless clutter like "hip"  "hip joint"... who cares, just show me the open slots and give me a box of modules that I can drag and drop into the open slots.

It took me quite a while to navigate through the system and configure a mech and then save it.  Trying to save a mech that I just configured took me five minutes.  I'm looking all over the place for a save button until I finally found it in the most ridiculous spot I could imagine it would be.  Why doesn't the game save the changes you're making as you make them?  I don't have to save my ship changes in EVE... the game simply makes a note of what I put on my ship as I'm doing it and saves the changes automatically.

I haven't really kept up with the game mechanics since I quit, but I hopped into a few matches with my favorite mech of all time, the Jenner 7RF with four SPL's and two ML's.  I quickly got three kills my first match by legging assault mechs which were hiding in the back launching LRMs.  I quickly died my second match due to ten bazillion LRM's finding me before I found them.

Seems like the game has become LRM'Warrior all over again.

codejack

Novice Member

OP  3/03/14 9:21:22 PM#7
Originally posted by h0urg1ass

I honestly want to know what this company is doing with everyone's money.

This has been my complaint all along; for the amount of money that has been thrown at this game, they should have been able to develop a fully-featured single player game with a 40+ hour campaign and a multiplayer mode that could have been upgraded and expanded to all of the proposed features which, as you point out, still haven't turned up.

This is Netmech with upgraded graphics.

Thorqemada

Elite Member

3/28/14 8:01:15 AM#8

The Mechlab now has a non interactive "Overview Mode" (Smurfy like) for the Mech setup.

You still need to switch through every single Mech Location to change the Setup but it is indeed helpful and an improvement over the first Iteration of the new UI2.0 Mechlab.

Aside of that "Soon(TM)" rules further.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
The Very Model of a Modern Major General (Grievous): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoiQw7kPqf8