Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Star Trek Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,545 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,240,733
Piranha Games | Official Site
MMOTPS | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 2012)  | Pub:Piranha Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

2 posts found
  Psychos1s

Novice Member

OP  9/18/13 4:35:24 AM#1

Graphics 7/10

The graphics for me while good are not great, the game is running on the Cryengine but the current problem is there is still no DX11 support in the game. The scale on the maps still feels off and kind of takes away from the feel that you're in a huge 100 ton machine of rolling death.

Movement 7/10

The movement in game again while good still feels off in some places especially with the moving  up slope penalties. Having a 70 ton mech go from 90kph to 0 because you hit a slope is not good and really needs to be addressed.

Sound 9/10

This is where I think PGI really did succeed, the sound in MWO is really well done the mechs really do sound how you would imagine a huge walking robot to sound, also the sound of the    weapons are unique you can tell from listening what is being fired, from the epic whoosh of the PPC to the loud boom of an AC20, the sound I think truly is excellent in the game.

Progression 5/10

Progression in the game as it currently stands is pretty bad, the pilot trees are bland and generic no matter what mech you buy/pilot the tree for every single mech in game is exactly the same they just provide % bonuses to heat efficiency, movement speed etc.

This I feel needs to addressed I think PGI should make mech specific trees that give bonuses to certain equipment and such as I believe this would help with the role warfare that they want in game.

New Player Experience 3/10

The new player experience in MWO is i think absolutely terrible, being a founder I didn't have to put up with it, however as a new player with no mech experience just jumping into game there is virtually nothing to give any clue as to what you should be doing.  you're given a choice of stock mechs and flung into games with people who have been playing since beta   and have optimized setups and will end up getting destroyed.

Then there's the issue with hidden systems that are not explained at all anywhere in game, ghost heat is not explained anywhere so as a new player when they do finally get a mech of their own don't they have a clue about the maximum number of weapons you can load onto said mech without incurring a massive heat penalty.

Social Aspects 1/10

I gave the social aspects a 1 for the simple fact there is virtually nothing in game to warrant a higher score. The only thing available is a small chat box when you're in a group with other people that is it.

There is no General chat lobby there is no in game voip, these things for me are things that in this day and age should always be in a team oriented online game. I find it shocking that something as simple as a general chat lobby something that has been in online games for god knows how many years is still absent after 1 year of beta.

Competitive Scene 3/10

This is another bad thing with the game, at present the only way for opposing clans to organize a war is to try and sync drop at the same time and hope you end up facing the team you want.

This for me is a blatant let down, in an online game you need ladders, competitions, tournaments etc to keep people interested, as lets face it without that the only thing to do is keep rolling out on the same maps over and over again where the only thing to do is earn more cbills to be able to buy more mechs to do exactly the same thing all over again.

The fact that there is still no organized lobby system in a game like MWO after a year in beta is I think disgraceful and shows a complete lack of competence on the devs part.

Developer Communication 3/10

This is where I think PGI are truly failing, the lack of communication on major things like UI2.0, CW and other features is bad, the occasional post stating that it's coming soon with nothing to back it up does not inspire confidence  in a gaming community especially when the same thing has been stated multiple times in the past.

Also when the president of the company decides to openly mock people on Twitter i'm sorry but that is terrible business practice, I can understand to some extent if the people are blatant trolls but not all of em are, there are people with valid complaints and well thought   out posts that have been set upon and mocked.

Overall Score 5/10

My overall score is simply an average taken from all the previous scores.

In ending I think that MWO started in the right general direction but got lost somewhere along the way, there is currently I think no meat to the game which hasn't really changed all that much since closed beta, where the only things done are some balance changes and the only things added are new mechs and a handful of maps.

I think the game can still be a success if CW is added and there are more incentives for organized play, also if the devs start communicating more with the player base and show that they actually listen to the community instead of blatantly ignoring it.

Thorqemada

Hard Core Member

9/18/13 10:36:58 AM#2

OP has many points but misses out that it is still incredible fun to play MWO in healthy doses despite the fact that it is still in its very infancy.

You can not do anything wrong testing it out and have fun fighting!

(And Yes! You need to have some balls to learn your ropes - playerskill IS a deciding factor and comes only over time!)

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
MWO Machinima - Revival (Clan Invasion): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saheVNMp7qQ