Trending Games | Landmark | World of Warcraft | Villagers and Heroes | Hearthstone

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,943 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,550
Gazillion Entertainment | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Super-Hero | Status:Final  (rel 06/04/13)  | Pub:Gazillion Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Marvel Heroes Forum » General Discussion » Not sure I can support Marvel anymore....

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
91 posts found
  Impacthound

Advanced Member

7/16/14 12:13:13 PM#61
Originally posted by IMPYRE
Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
This is going to fail, not even female marvel fans will like this.  I dont see why they dont just make new Characters instead of changing existing characters.

I agree!

And on as a side note, I stopped collecting comics back in the 90's when the price per comic was sky rocketing. Paying almost $4 bucks a pop for a comic is nuts.

My brother still collects to this day and man, what the hell did they do to all the characters from Marvel to DC, the shit is all fubar I told him and you still pay that crazy amount!

Rewriting old characters to reinvent them for todays reader is the money maker today whether in a game, movie or in a comic book. Welcome to the era of reboots!

Trade paperbacks are the best way to get a good storyline start-to-finish, and are easier to read/last longer. Plus you usually get a good deal on them when they're on clearance/valid with coupons in a current bookstore, or on a $5 sale at a comic convention. That, or you can be like the rest of the internet and share .cbr peer-to-peer.

The female Thor thing is just a publicity stunt, like Death of Superman, or gay-black-mexican-Spiderman. A new person(and writer behind the scenes) steps into the existing role/archetype to see if it resonates with fans, draws in a new demographic, and it goes back to business as usual in a year if there wasn't any positive outcome. Comics are pretty lucky that they have such forgiving fans for this kind of thing, and allowing them to backpedal so much.

Impacthound

Advanced Member

7/16/14 12:19:25 PM#62
Originally posted by Draemos
A female Loki would have been interesting and potentially clever.  A female Thor is just going to be boring.

Loki possessed Sif once, that's why there's a Lady Loki costume in-game. I thought the female Thor story was going to be Marvel pushing Valkyrie(the Ultimates version) into the spotlight, but I guess not.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

7/16/14 12:56:40 PM#63

What does that have to do with anything?

Marvel Heroes the game, Marvel cinematic universe, and whatever happens in the comic books are separate anyway. Heck, it is not like the comic book is one big canon ... there are tons of different universes, and what-ifs.

It is like saying I am not going to see the next Thor movie because in some comic books, Thor is now a woman ... isn't that a bit silly?

Impacthound

Advanced Member

7/16/14 4:16:42 PM#64
Originally posted by nariusseldon

What does that have to do with anything?

Marvel Heroes the game, Marvel cinematic universe, and whatever happens in the comic books are separate anyway. Heck, it is not like the comic book is one big canon ... there are tons of different universes, and what-ifs.

It is like saying I am not going to see the next Thor movie because in some comic books, Thor is now a woman ... isn't that a bit silly?

Not entirely true. Nova has been delayed since launch and is coming out in late august because Marvel asked Gazillion to withhold the character until a specific event in the comics. Also they've said in AMAs and panels that Marvel directly dictates which costumes they can release and when(mostly launching characters) for "managing the brand" and encouraging fan recognition in certain directions. They certainly take forum and twitter requests into account, but there's a bean-counter behind the scenes who decides what's profitable for Marvel and what's not.

Also, the comics ARE canon, they either provide the foundation for movie or game content, and depending on their fan reaction get absorbed into continuity thru the Multiverse structure in place(like the Cancerverse, Marvel Zombies, council of reeds, etc). The internet does a good job or mostly sorting and categorizing it all & connecting the dots for those of us that haven't read everything.

ElRenmazuo

Hard Core Member

7/16/14 4:25:04 PM#65

This will be just another fluke attempt to change character just as much this was for Superman

https://33.media.tumblr.com/262c40940b3181ade1001120dd379aaa/tumblr_nfrzn853rR1rz64nto6_r1_400.gif

Impacthound

Advanced Member

7/16/14 4:28:29 PM#66

This will be just another fluke attempt to change character just as much this was for Superman

Haha, not this century, not in any other century DC. Thank you for not staying with this blue P.O.S.

hallucigenocide

Advanced Member

7/16/14 4:34:42 PM#67

just a desperate attempt to attract female fans imo.. like they'd ever fall for that

but they're free to do whatever they want it's their product after all. here's another oddball desicion from Marvel:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502712/?ref_=nv_sr_1

kek

ElRenmazuo

Hard Core Member

7/16/14 4:40:06 PM#68
Originally posted by hallucigenocide

just a desperate attempt to attract female fans imo.. like they'd ever fall for that

but they're free to do whatever they want it's their product after all. here's another oddball desicion from Marvel:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502712/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Looks like fantastic 4: the college years.  And really dont like the actress they got to play Sue Storm (Kate Mara)

EDIT: I guess Sue and Johny arent blood related anymore either since one is white and other black.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/262c40940b3181ade1001120dd379aaa/tumblr_nfrzn853rR1rz64nto6_r1_400.gif

hallucigenocide

Advanced Member

7/16/14 4:45:02 PM#69
Originally posted by hallucigenocide

Looks like fantastic 4: the college years.  And really dont like the actress they got to play Sue Storm (Kate Mara)

it's just weird.. none of the actors fit any of the roles really. even the craptastic version from 2005 will be better than this.

kek

Emm_Emm_Ohh

Novice Member

7/16/14 4:50:26 PM#70
Originally posted by Horusra
they are making Thor a woman.

As others have stated, they aren't making Thor a woman, they are making the new wielder of Mjolnir a woman. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes. Did you get your info from Whoopi Goldberg because she is the one who started that rumor I think.

ArcheAge, ESO, Rift & other MMORPG Gameplays https://www.youtube.com/user/MMONerdStomper

Reklaw

Apprentice Member

The adult I am takes care of most things real life. However my inner-child is a GAMER!!

7/16/14 5:03:22 PM#71
Originally posted by Distopia
Originally posted by Tyggs
I wouldn't care if he wasn't based on a Norse God depicted as a male for hundreds of years.

The name itself is very Masculine. It really makes so sense from any standpoint IMO.

“The inscription on Thor's hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/7/15/22875/marvel_proudly_presents_thor#ixzz37fQfj8pC

Yes it seems to say HE but the hamer might have been crafted/created at a time where men where dominant, times have changed and woman can be worthy wielding the hammer.

Though I doubt about their marketing timing since Marvels movies are hot right now with memorable characters....

Hardcoded

Apprentice Member

"Life is a joke, stand around and you'll miss the punchline."

7/16/14 5:16:04 PM#72
Who cares, the characters in the marvel universe have all been through drastic change. Spiderman is black (ultimate), Hulk has been, green, gray, red, smart, dumb, Thor has been a cripple, and an alien. Villains become heroes and heroes become villains. Move on, read it or don't.

ElRenmazuo

Hard Core Member

7/16/14 8:28:43 PM#73
Originally posted by Hardcoded
Who cares, the characters in the marvel universe have all been through drastic change. Spiderman is black (ultimate), Hulk has been, green, gray, red, smart, dumb, Thor has been a cripple, and an alien. Villains become heroes and heroes become villains. Move on, read it or don't.

Of course there always have been attempted changes to super heroes and their universes but the point is majority of those changes just did not get the same amount of success because majority of fans just dont accept those changes.  For example even in the reboot of spiderman movie thats based on the ultimate universe hes still white.  Red hulk was not Bruce Banner it was the General so he doesnt count.  And they trashed the other ideas for Hulk because no one liked it.  People dont mind change to an existing character, its just has to have be reasonable amount and not too drastic that it just changes the whole persona fans have adapted too.

What I have noticed are new characters that share the same powers but are different persons have been better accepted than changing an existing character.  For example John Stewart and Hal Jordan who are both green lanterns but different people.  Or how instead of making Super Man into a female they instead made Wonder Woman or Super Girl.

ElRenmazuo

Hard Core Member

7/16/14 8:30:33 PM#74
What would people think if someone decided to change Star Wars and in this version Darth Vader was female.

Foobarx

Apprentice Member

7/16/14 8:32:03 PM#75
What would people think if someone decided to change Star Wars and in this version Darth Vader was female.

Honestly if she sounded like James Earl Jones, no one would notice...

ElRenmazuo

Hard Core Member

7/16/14 8:35:05 PM#76
Originally posted by Foobarx

Honestly if she sounded like James Earl Jones, no one would notice...

Pull a Samus at the end of the return of the jedi

Nadia

Tipster

7/21/14 1:01:37 PM#77
  BurntCabbage

Advanced Member

7/21/14 1:24:09 PM#78

Marvel went downhill the day they sold their soul to disney

all their movies have been utter trash casting makes n models and story lines are all crap sure they may make alot of money but the storys have been butchered to nonsence disney has a stern hand on everything marvel does now..and heres another shocker for ya..the new fantastic 4 will have a black kid playing the human torch because they said they wanted to be more diverse and appeal to wider audiences ..all marvel has become is a very sick marketing joke

i hate this because i love reading comics and the great story lines they have but when somebody takes your product in totally diff ways..its a bad thing

aesperus

Elite Member

7/21/14 2:37:54 PM#79
Originally posted by Reklaw
Originally posted by Distopia
Originally posted by Tyggs
I wouldn't care if he wasn't based on a Norse God depicted as a male for hundreds of years.

The name itself is very Masculine. It really makes so sense from any standpoint IMO.

“The inscription on Thor's hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/7/15/22875/marvel_proudly_presents_thor#ixzz37fQfj8pC

Yes it seems to say HE but the hamer might have been crafted/created at a time where men where dominant, times have changed and woman can be worthy wielding the hammer.

Though I doubt about their marketing timing since Marvels movies are hot right now with memorable characters....

Honestly, the whole thing is extremely stupid imho.

I get the whole girl power, strong feminine character movement. However, unlike most religions, norse actually has numerous STRONG female personas. Like Sif, like freya, hel, etc. You don't need to rewrite male staples as females. Plus, marvel also has numerous strong female heroes to add into the game, without having to offer gender changes to all the staple male heroes.

Just seems like lazy pandering to me. There's quite a number of female characters they could add into the game, rather than just throwing boobs on the male ones and calling it a day.

Impacthound

Advanced Member

7/22/14 2:56:29 PM#80
Originally posted by aesperus
Honestly, the whole thing is extremely stupid imho.

I get the whole girl power, strong feminine character movement. However, unlike most religions, norse actually has numerous STRONG female personas. Like Sif, like freya, hel, etc. You don't need to rewrite male staples as females. Plus, marvel also has numerous strong female heroes to add into the game, without having to offer gender changes to all the staple male heroes.

Just seems like lazy pandering to me. There's quite a number of female characters they could add into the game, rather than just throwing boobs on the male ones and calling it a day.

This. There's enough women is Asgard, and if they wanted to swap Thor out for a new wielder of Mjolnir, they should have done it during the Fear Itself arc a few years ago when Thor was killed for a while. The timing is all off. It's a bad time to replace Thor, it's a bad time to fight the movie/Ultimates origin of Thor that's popular with the public and go back to the wacky 60s version where Odin gives Thor amnesia and makes him think he's a med student with a walking stick.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search