Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Darkest Dungeon | ArcheAge | Trove

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,772,791 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,187,530
Gazillion Entertainment | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Super-Hero | Status:Final  (rel 06/04/13)  | Pub:Gazillion Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Marvel Heroes Forum » General Discussion » They botched their revenue model, ie 200 dollars for the full release game.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
33 posts found
  DamonVile

Elite Member

1/19/13 10:41:16 AM#21
Originally posted by Souldrainer
Originally posted by DamonVile
Originally posted by Souldrainer
Between Steam and Cheapassgamers.com, no game is ever worth $60, let alone $200.  Sure, someone will pay it, possibly even 1 in 50 players will, but they would have made much more profit from a $20 price tag.

And you know this because you've seen their number of "copies" sold or because while you were typing, it seemed like a good idea ?

What kind of crack pot response is this?  I can't name one game with a $200 price tag that sold well.  I can name at least three that offered $200 price points and failed.  Hellgate:  London, Kingdoms of Amalur, and Steel Battalion special edition, for starters.  There are many more.  Charging that kind of money for one game is always a death knell.

How many games offered collector editions in the $175 price range that did well ? It's not a $200 price tag to play the game it's a $200 price tag to buy everything the game has now + enough money in game to buy everything they offer for quite a while.

It's still free to play if you don't want to spend that. And since you're soooo good at math. How much is a years sub + box price of most sub mmos ?

People are like cats. When they die, you get a new one.

FallguyArmy

Novice Member

1/19/13 10:46:48 AM#22
Originally posted by adam_nox
Its pretty messed up that you can spend 60 bucks on this game, before you have even tried it or read a review on it, and you only get access to 20% of the release chars. 40% possibly if you spend all your in game currency on heroes. It would have been better to offer 6chars for 20 and 16 for 50 bucks. They could have held off on 8 less popular characters and offered those as post release dlc. But the way they are going now is going to make people feel stupid for spending the money. Im going to pay the 60, because I understand what the game is about and that the in game currency can by me a few more heroes, but they really shot themselves in the foot with the gaming playerbase in general i would wager.

This is why F2P in MMORPGs is a major fucking fallacy. Having read this, I'm not so sure which is worse anymore. SWTOR's F2P, or Marvel Heroes'..?

Cecropia

Gumshoe

Poacher killer.

1/19/13 10:54:21 AM#23

200 bucks to access all the content! LMAO. "F2P" at it's finest.

You guys lapping this crapola up are only making things worse. It's on par with rewarding a dog for pissing all over your house.

I'll be laughing about this gem all day.

"Chuck's a good fighter but he's a UFC fighter... this is Pride." - Quinton Rampage Jackson
"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Iceman8235

Hard Core Member

1/19/13 11:08:10 AM#24
I feel like they're pushing the founder packs a little too hard, it seems a little fishy to me.  It's one thing to offer a premium package so the die hards can support the company, but I think I've been reminded to buy a founder pack almost every other day between email, twitter, and facebook.  It's almost as if they have a feeling that if they don't get your money before you play the game that they won't get it at all.  That's a little worrisome.
  FallguyArmy

Novice Member

1/19/13 11:13:08 AM#25
Originally posted by Iceman8235
I feel like they're pushing the founder packs a little too hard, it seems a little fishy to me.  It's one thing to offer a premium package so the die hards can support the company, but I think I've been reminded to buy a founder pack almost every other day between email, twitter, and facebook.  It's almost as if they have a feeling that if they don't get your money before you play the game that they won't get it at all.  That's a little worrisome.

Correct. Also, are they offering more beta invites? It seems like they've had a blockade of new users for a long time now and are just relying on people to get a strong itch to pay for Founders so they can start playing the game even during beta. Again, very fishy. But in all fairness, I see this as an alarming trend in many F2P games nowadays. And don't even get me started on, lol, "Kickstarter"...

birdycephon

Novice Member

Not Safe For Woona (NSFW)

1/19/13 11:14:56 AM#26
As I've stated in another thread, the worst thing you can do in an F2P MMO, is play for free.
  moosecatlol

Apprentice Member

1/19/13 11:19:13 AM#27

Permanent 5% magic find. . . they truly believe that they're hot shit?

The fact that they even have magic find is enough for me to almost not want to play it.

Arglebargle

Elite Member

1/19/13 11:21:27 AM#28

It's Marvel/Disney.  Whatever you think about their products, they know marketing real dang well.   Sounds like some of their other games are using this sort of 'get in cheap, pay loads to get it all' approach.  

Certainly, there are probably enough Marvel Maniacs to make this at least a moderately monied move.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

birdycephon

Novice Member

Not Safe For Woona (NSFW)

1/19/13 11:21:53 AM#29
Originally posted by moosecatlol

The fact that they even have magic find is enough for me to almost not want to play it.

I think that rules out just about every MMO out there.

Axxar

Hard Core Member

"See how I reward those who fail me!"

1/19/13 1:53:33 PM#30
Originally posted by birdycephon
Originally posted by moosecatlol

I think that rules out just about every MMO out there.

Can honestly say I've never played an MMO with magic find. Didn't think any existed, either.

Currently playing: Divinity: Original Sin, FTL, Hearthstone and Skyrim.
Eagerly anticipating: Camelot Unchained, Elite: Dangerous, Legend of Grimrock 2 and Star Citizen.

FelixMajor

Elite Member

1/19/13 1:58:53 PM#31

$200 for a video game straight off the bat, especially a digital copy with no other incentive like art books, comics, figurines, or collectible items is ridiculous.

The whole idea of free to play was implemented for mmo's to sub because developers realize that players are also a great aspect of content and not just the content they develope and release.

$200 up front is wack, that scares the shit out of me that they even think that is cool, and then they have the audacity to say right beside the package (a $750 value!) bwaha, oh really?  $750 value in a twisted mind of corporate twerps.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
"when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

aslan132

Elite Member

1/19/13 2:08:59 PM#32

Why is everyone getting worked up about this 200$ thing. You do know its not $200 to play right? Actually, the $200 package doesnt leave any reason to play, you in essence have "beaten" the game. 

They give you plenty of options to choose from to start with for free. The $20 pack lets you pick a specific character if you want it, but just playing the game for free, you can unlock that same character. The pack of 4, is really only for comic nerds that want a specific "team", but theres nothing to be gained by buying it, as again you will unlock/buy those same characters in game as you play... for free. The $200 package unlocks everything, which like i said, is "beating" the game, since thats the whole point of the game in the first place (play to unlock new characters). And iirc you only get the one exclusive, which means again, you will unlock everything else minus that one single one, just from playing the game. 

Getting bent out of shape for an option, that is exactly that, an option. And honestly the worst choice, as it leaves you nothing left to play the game for. Seriosuly people, get over it. 

Jacxolope

Hard Core Member

1/19/13 2:12:42 PM#33
Originally posted by adam_nox
Ps, blame my phone for lack of proper formatting.

No way man-

I blame the bath Salts.

Next thing you know you are going to be eating peoples faces and thinking you are batman. =P

-Anyhow I agree with you, but lay off the salts bro.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search