Trending Games | Swordsman | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,814 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,175,550
Gazillion Entertainment | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Super-Hero | Status:Final  (rel 06/04/13)  | Pub:Gazillion Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Marvel Heroes Forum » General Discussion » They botched their revenue model, ie 200 dollars for the full release game.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
33 posts found
  adam_nox

Hard Core Member

OP  1/09/13 1:15:40 PM#1
Its pretty messed up that you can spend 60 bucks on this game, before you have even tried it or read a review on it, and you only get access to 20% of the release chars. 40% possibly if you spend all your in game currency on heroes. It would have been better to offer 6chars for 20 and 16 for 50 bucks. They could have held off on 8 less popular characters and offered those as post release dlc. But the way they are going now is going to make people feel stupid for spending the money. Im going to pay the 60, because I understand what the game is about and that the in game currency can by me a few more heroes, but they really shot themselves in the foot with the gaming playerbase in general i would wager.
  adam_nox

Hard Core Member

OP  1/09/13 1:16:36 PM#2
Ps, blame my phone for lack of proper formatting.
  Doogiehowser

Elite Member

1/09/13 1:17:37 PM#3
And just when you thought that companies can not get any more idiotic with their payment models.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

Entropy14

Advanced Member

1/09/13 1:18:02 PM#4
Shot themselves in the foot ?? how they got your money ,lol
  OgreRaper

Novice Member

1/09/13 1:20:20 PM#5
Meh. I'll be playing the free version anyway.
  apocoluster

Advanced Member

\m/,

1/09/13 1:23:31 PM#6
Originally posted by adam_nox
Ps, blame my phone for lack of proper formatting.

Ill blame you for using a phone instead of a PC  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

adam_nox

Hard Core Member

OP  1/09/13 1:28:40 PM#7

Ironically im more interested in hawkeye than the premium chars.

Oh and im at work,  so phone it has to be.

adam_nox

Hard Core Member

OP  1/09/13 1:29:58 PM#8
Oh and the 200 package feature list sounds like a kickstarter campaign to me.
  jpnole

Apprentice Member

1/09/13 5:02:20 PM#9
You trash their revenue model yet you still fork over $60 for a game that is F2P. Sounds like they got you good. 
  omidus

Novice Member

1/11/13 8:26:51 AM#10
no sympathy from me.
  nariusseldon

Elite Member

1/14/13 12:35:15 PM#11
Originally posted by jpnole
You trash their revenue model yet you still fork over $60 for a game that is F2P. Sounds like they got you good. 

Agreed.

And while i am in general pretty excited about this game, i don't understand why someone would folk over $200 without even seeing the final product. This game is F2P, you know.

I will play the free heroes a while, and if i think the combat mechanics is fun, and i may enjoy it more by playing some of the non-free heroes, only i would consider shelving out money then.

gaeanprayer

Novice Member

1/16/13 9:48:42 AM#12

Having played the game, it's quality is something I'm comfortable with. What I doubt however, is that it will appeal to everyone. It's very D2 but with Marvel characters, and as much as people claim D2 was king, I doubt they'd 'settle' for that kind of gameplay in droves these days. Anyway, original point is some small niche of people, most likely CB testers, like the game enough to drop that kind of money because they know they'll be playing it for a long time.

Personally, I feel it defeats the purpose; if I start the game with all the characters and costumes I'm not really going to have a desire to do anything else, since getting those things is why I'll play in the first place. I popped a $20 on Jean, and Storm comes for free and the $20 from buying Jean comes with ingame cash to buy Scarlet Witch. I'm pretty much good to go at this point.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

adam_nox

Hard Core Member

OP  1/16/13 9:52:53 AM#13
Originally posted by nariusseldon

Agreed.

And while i am in general pretty excited about this game, i don't understand why someone would folk over $200 without even seeing the final product. This game is F2P, you know.

I will play the free heroes a while, and if i think the combat mechanics is fun, and i may enjoy it more by playing some of the non-free heroes, only i would consider shelving out money then.

Agreed?  Agreed?  Really?  Yet you then say you don't know why someone would fork over 200 bucks?  The person you agree with is me. 

Just read comments all over the web, reddit, their facebook page, here at this site.  It's all the same, they screwed this up and alienated a lot of people with this model, when there's no way to try it beforehand.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

1/16/13 11:15:59 AM#14
Originally posted by adam_nox
Originally posted by nariusseldon

Agreed.

Agreed?  Agreed?  Really?  Yet you then say you don't know why someone would fork over 200 bucks?  The person you agree with is me. 

Just read comments all over the web, reddit, their facebook page, here at this site.  It's all the same, they screwed this up and alienated a lot of people with this model, when there's no way to try it beforehand.

i am pretty sure i am agreeing with jpnole instead.

What is the problem with the model? Don't pay $200. Wait till the game is out before you decide on what to buy. Isn't that so hard?

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

1/19/13 4:19:22 AM#15
Between Steam and Cheapassgamers.com, no game is ever worth $60, let alone $200.  Sure, someone will pay it, possibly even 1 in 50 players will, but they would have made much more profit from a $20 price tag.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

DamonVile

Elite Member

1/19/13 4:38:22 AM#16
Originally posted by Souldrainer
Between Steam and Cheapassgamers.com, no game is ever worth $60, let alone $200.  Sure, someone will pay it, possibly even 1 in 50 players will, but they would have made much more profit from a $20 price tag.

And you know this because you've seen their number of "copies" sold or because while you were typing, it seemed like a good idea ?

People are like cats. When they die, you get a new one.

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

1/19/13 5:13:15 AM#17
Originally posted by DamonVile
Originally posted by Souldrainer

And you know this because you've seen their number of "copies" sold or because while you were typing, it seemed like a good idea ?

What kind of crack pot response is this?  I can't name one game with a $200 price tag that sold well.  I can name at least three that offered $200 price points and failed.  Hellgate:  London, Kingdoms of Amalur, and Steel Battalion special edition, for starters.  There are many more.  Charging that kind of money for one game is always a death knell.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Lizardone

Novice Member

1/19/13 5:53:00 AM#18
Disappointed the game won't be available for console and most of the heroes available are not of my liking.
  Nadia

Elite Member

1/19/13 6:07:06 AM#19

i didnt view the $200.00 any different than mmos that offered lifetime subs (but you stil had to buy expansions)

like LOTRO

its not the same thing but it is similar

Axxar

Hard Core Member

"See how I reward those who fail me!"

1/19/13 8:00:46 AM#20
The developers of this game seem adamant on testing the boundaries of human greed.

Currently playing: Divinity: Original Sin, FTL, Hearthstone and Skyrim.
Eagerly anticipating: Camelot Unchained, Elite: Dangerous, Legend of Grimrock 2 and Star Citizen.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search