Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,774,566 Users Online:0
Games:721  Posts:6,188,831
Runewaker Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/30/13)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Dragon's Prophet Forum » General Discussion » So I played this game two days.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
41 posts found
  woodzip87

Novice Member

6/24/13 8:43:01 PM#21
Originally posted by Bjelar
Originally posted by Renoaku

1. Games are not pay 2 win because it has a cash shop it becomes pay 2 win when a game offers a unfair advantage over a customer who is not paying. 

But why on earth would I pay to play a game if it didn't give me an (unfair) advantage?

Would you pay if you could get just as much without paying? Do you?

Games cost money. The only "unfair" thing is when someone has to pay so that others can be parasites and play without contributing. That's unfair.

No. The truly successful free to play games are ones that do not give an unfair advantage when you do pay. There are XP and money boosts and such that allow payers to get stronger faster or what have you, but never that makes it where somebody that plays will have an upper hand in battles and such. The payers get to look better, or get better chances at special loot. Blah blah, you get it (i hope). The free to play games that give better equipment and allow people to be generally better do not reach the success that the others do and they definitely don't have the growth that the others do as they're too exclusive. You're either in or out if you want to have fun. You can't decide to dabble here and there and pay sparingly.

Yaumul

Novice Member

6/25/13 2:12:03 AM#22
Originally posted by bestever
Originally posted by Beoelf21
i hated this game. It looked ugly and the combat was slow and stupid. granted I only played for 3 hours..i wanted those 3 hours back.

Ugly lol okay good one, get a better PC. Slow and stupid combat now thats just a joke because I have a 15 ranger and its far from slow.

Great game from what I've played and enjoy it more then most mmo's

I agree the game is god awful ugly. It's not the overall graphics, it's more the look of the cheap character models and especially the terrible combat animations.

Sounds like It was just as well I uninstalled it concerning the comments about the cash shop.

HeavyBadass

Novice Member

6/28/13 7:51:13 AM#23

1. Games are not pay 2 win because it has a cash shop it becomes pay 2 win when a game offers a unfair advantage over a customer who is not paying. 

But why on earth would I pay to play a game if it didn't give me an (unfair) advantage?

Games cost money. The only "unfair" thing is when someone has to pay so that others can be parasites and play without contributing. That's unfair.

not sure if trolling or stupid

the biggest game today (League of legends) earns most it's money through the game on skins

sodom1234

Advanced Member

6/29/13 4:54:50 AM#24
I downloaded the game, played it for 3 Minutes and deinstalled it. The graphic sucks.. sorry but who thinks that it looks good seem to have eye cancer. Sure there is a nice ton of slider to adjust you character but it didn't help that most models textures and the polygon count is simply low. The animations are a joke .. running around, jumping and npc movement is simply jerky and doll like. and finally i entered the first few battles and laughed my ass off. Sorry but it's a really really bad attempt to use TERAs system. just a waste of development resources.
  Bjelar

Novice Member

6/30/13 12:54:30 PM#25
Originally posted by HeavyBadass

not sure if trolling or stupid

the biggest game today (League of legends) earns most it's money through the game on skins

There is no way I would ever pay for fluff. I think you need the number of players LoL's got in order to make much money that way.

Why can't people pay for themselves if they want to play? Noone answered the "Do you?" question in my original post...

HeavyBadass

Novice Member

6/30/13 1:43:11 PM#26
let's take this little sentence you created "Games cost money. The only "unfair" thing is when someone has to pay so that others can be parasites and play without contributing. That's unfair." then go play a pay to play game, no one is forcing you to pay OR play a f2p game, pay to win games suck as it FORCES you to pay in a free to play game in order to play competitevely with other players, now THAT's unfair, I don't mind paying some cash in a game but as soon as I have to pay in order to compete with paying players I don't want to, paying is my choise, not something I should be forced to do, players add to the game experience so it's not leeching since they are contributing by playing the game with you. And I answered your question fine in my first reply, People pay in LOL but they don't get an edge over other players. As my current status is a student I don't have much money to go around, if I had a higher income then yes I would be paying, I also bought when they had bonus RP in league of legends, i've bought twice.
  Rohn

Hard Core Member

6/30/13 1:57:41 PM#27

I've given it a few plays, and overall it's a pretty fun game.  Really like the combat system, and the dragons are an interesting and pretty deep part of the game.  Though it needs a bit more polish, I'll be giving it more play in the future.

I will agree, however, that the cash shop is one of the more intrusive I've seen.  In F2P games, I prefer it when the cash shop is much more transparent - where it's something you have to actively open up and peruse, instead of the nickel and dime approach where so many systems have cash shop intrusion listed on almost every panel you open.  I haven't played far enough to see how much of the cash shop it necessary, or if it's mostly convenience.

I have no problem with games charging money, and I'll pay for a game that I enjoy.  This one just seems to inject the cash shop in every system, which was a little off-putting.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

6/30/13 2:04:18 PM#28
Originally posted by Loktofeit

I have to agree that the color/dyes system is an annoying nickel and dime mess that seemed to be built from the direction of "we want to sell it, so make a game out of it" rather than making something that people would find value in and charging for it. I would far prefer a GW2 style system if they really need to go the random color route.

Yep I would as well I don't really play GW2 much only because it feels like every MMO I have played and gets boring very fast very generic scripted events DP offers something a bit different.

this is why i stopped playing Dragon's Prophet besides the lack of polishing.

Also, about the item protection through cash shop, The developers of DP are the same from Runes of Magic and they had that in RoM. I wasnt surprised when i saw it on DP as well. It kinda sucks.

I kinda liked what i played from DP but is too buggy to spend more time there. Ill go back to it when they fix it (both bugs and less generic stuff).

EDIT: you said its less generic and a more different than the rest only in a 2 day experience, play longer and your view might change, its as generic as it can be, only with dragons.

My endgame begins with character creation and ends with a new mmorpg

Delondial

Advanced Member

Statement here.

8/09/13 9:49:57 AM#29

My 2 pence. 

-A lot of the abilities seem rather arbitrary.

-Holy $%^# menus.

-They've set it up so that there are a ton of little items you have to hang onto while giving you incredibly minimal bag space.

-Bugs, oh so many bugs.

-Quests are uninspired.

-Not much explanation given for various aspects of the game.

-No report spam and ignore feature.

-For @#$^ sake why are the bags so small?! Even the ones you buy with SC.

I know the game needs to make money, but you can do that without making your customers feel as if they are having the piss taken. Personally if I'm having fun, I'll throw oodles of cash at a game. But when I get that "oh look, another dick way they want to get me to spend my money" feeling, I tend to drop the game pretty fast.

Clever things.

Shadanwolf

Apprentice Member

9/06/13 6:07:30 PM#30
Well...the game is in beta.
  Bigmamajama

Apprentice Member

9/06/13 6:57:45 PM#31

I love the idiots that say well you don't have to buy everything!!!  How about you charge me 15 bucks a month and put everything in the game.  Instead of the cash shop.  Unless of course people are cool with dropping thousands of dollars on a computer game to have everything the game has to offer.

What a bargain!!

TalulaRose

Apprentice Member

9/18/13 2:02:27 PM#32
All these graphics suck yada yada comments are funny. The game is free. What's even funnier is that they could have watched a video before playing the game. Man, got to wonder how some of these posters make it through life.
  User Deleted
9/18/13 4:22:34 PM#33
Originally posted by TalulaRose
All these graphics suck yada yada comments are funny. The game is free. What's even funnier is that they could have watched a video before playing the game. Man, got to wonder how some of these posters make it through life.

Yeah saw the graphics on youtube and through screen shots..looks pretty bad.

Its free but so are a lot of other game that are better looking.

I make it through life just fine thanks...so much so that I don't need a game to be free to play it (which isn't saying much but still)

Also since everyone wants f2p to be the standard, I have no tolerance for a game being free...none...if f2p is the future it cant be an excuse for low quality anymore

Jyiiga

Apprentice Member

9/18/13 8:41:33 PM#34
This game looks DOA to me. Graphics from years ago. Dated mechanics. All it has going for it is pokemon with dragons. It is live and both servers are at minimal population. Hell, no one even knows about the game.
  Frek

Novice Member

9/19/13 3:27:30 PM#35

I was curious so I downloaded the 10 GB client this afternoon.

The good:

- I like the character customization, tons of options, even different starting outfits, top notch

The bad:

- Only 2 servers and both were devoid of any players, I'm talking ghost town, not a good sign

- Combat needs a lot of work, it's very clumsy and buggy, sometimes your attacks work, sometimes they don't

- animations are very dated, creatures move around very awkwardly and frequently get caught on the environment, during the tutorial the green slimy things will have their health reset when they get 'stuck'. Took me a few mins to kill them.

- The art style strikes me as a really poor attempt at GW2

This game needs A LOT of work. I'm not even sure it's fair to say this game is in beta. For a F2P game I don't see how DP is going to be able to compete with the much better choices that are out there. Pretty much ANY F2P game on the market is a better choice. DP was all downhill after the character creation.

Nobody has to take my word for it though, download it yourself and see, the servers are totally empty and the game needs months of work before it will hold anybody's attention.

rawfox

Apprentice Member

9/19/13 3:35:31 PM#36

.. well, they have your 20.- bucks

syntax42

Elite Member

9/19/13 3:41:58 PM#37

I'm glad I cam across this thread.  I was thinking I wanted to try this shiny, new MMO, but wasn't sure because it was made by the people who made Runes of Magic.  It looks like they followed the same formula of putting too many basic MMO features behind a cash-shop wall.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is pay-to-win and you have to spend $250 or more to get the best gear, just like Runes of Magic.

Thanks for posting this so I don't waste my time or money on this.

Hariken

Elite Member

10/14/13 9:37:22 AM#38
I got to level 34 and just got bored. And all the crashes didn't help. Uninstalled and moving on. The Dragon thing was cool for awhile but it just didn't hook me. I mean why the lousy time limit on how long your Dragon pet can be out? And who came up with that stupid Dragon training system? This whole game seems to be about getting you to spend money. I'm starting to get sick and tired of game companies calling games f2p when they are not. I should have known better because SOE is involved in this game. if a game doesn't have a sub you can bet you will as you level up have to spend money in their cash shop. And you will be paying more than 15 a month. The whole point of this game is collecting Dragons. They give you 2 lousy slots the rest you have to buy. 
  Goromhir

Advanced Member

11/04/13 10:42:12 AM#39
Originally posted by Agoden

I agree with some of the points made, but having only played 2 hours or so, combat felt way way worse then Tera and Neverwinter, it felt clunky and unresponsive to me, and the game looks Hideously old.

I was excited by the dragon taming as dragons are a small obsession of mine, but that really doesn't redeem how low-end this game felt, normally i say It's free, why not give it a shot and form your own opinion? But for this one I'd rather advice people to just stay away, theres absolutely nothing good to find here.

thank you

and paying to protect my items is a joke... Good luck SOE !!

komarr

Novice Member

All men fear the Darkness,
But the Darkness fears me.

1/22/14 7:53:39 AM#40

I've played a couple characters, the highest to 47.  The game is ok, but generic and fairly bland.  Here's my big issues with the game.

1. CRASHING.  Lots of people having this issue, at times you can't got 2 minutes without crashing to desktop.  I submitted a ticket and went round and round with them but they simply refuse to accept that it's server side issues.  I've frequently crashed mid-fight and relogged with the monster back at it's spawn point.  If I was D/C on my side usually they server takes a minute or so to register that, and you end up dead.

2. Pathing is aweful.  Monsters and npc's are hip-deep in the landscape, or disappear into it completely.  Mobs attacking you can move through you then turn to attack from behind, but you can't run through them.  This is particularly annoying since all your attacks, melee or ranged make you step forward, so you are constantly hitting empty air as mobs phase behind you.

3.  I will disagree with the "need cash to repair gear" argument.  Most vendors in game will repair gear for gold.

4. If you don't spend cash the game gets grindy fairly quickly.

5.  I've spent no cash on this game, despite having Station Cash sitting in my account because of the numerous bugs in addition to the above issues.

The Moving Finger writes, and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

~Omar Khayyam

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search