Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | ArcheAge | Firefall | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,955 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,386
Runewaker Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/30/13)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Dragon's Prophet Forum » General Discussion » Really, are we now down to 4 classes?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
31 posts found
  ethion

Apprentice Member

4/28/13 7:33:21 PM#21
Originally posted by Vyeth

Some fail to understand that some people like specialization.. Feeling like a part of something bigger than just themselves.. If everyone is basically a "one man band" able to do everything for themselves it really makes being special not so special..

As someone said in a post before me, just like GW2, and that idea of "If everyone is super, then no one is" applies effectively killing 80% of grouping usefulness..

I completely agree.  Seems like several mmos that have recently come out have decided to go roleless for characters.  Thinking GW2 and even TSW pretty much.  The problem is that games are evolving into a grey featureless mess for characters.  Sure you can customize but you end up with countless variations of the same thing so really little variation at all.  Everyone is a soloer role. 

Really I guess this is the influence of PVP.  Make all classes equal so there are no advantages in PVP.

Since EQ games classes have become less and less unique till they were only tank, dps, heal and now we are going to classless where everyone's the same...

In EQ you had real diversity, you had far more roles and each class had something unique they could bring to the table.  A group in EQ was far greater than the sum of it's parts because you had a diverse collection of abilities working together.

So when I hear the game is classless and everyone can be anything I think that means everyone will be the same.  Max dps with some healing and/or survival stuff.  Pure tanks or Healers might be possible but will likely be rarer then ever and most likely you wont' be able to identify them for grouping.  So random groups will be a nightmare with people that have no roles and only want to run in and dps solo style but in a group without much thought to strategy.  And PVE content will likely be equally simple to match the new simpler groups.

So this game is sounding more like a PVP game that will probably have sucky PVE content.  Especially end game content.

ethion21 Xfire Miniprofile
  User Deleted
4/30/13 1:48:56 PM#22
way to judge a game months before its even out let alone not having played it.
  Aerowyn

Novice Member

5/01/13 7:05:26 PM#23
some good info in how unique you can make your class through the differn't systems in the game and the dragons from the live stream that just went on

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

redcapp

Novice Member

5/01/13 9:25:56 PM#24
Typically I find the watered-down class systems of many modern MMOs to be a turn off.  However, I think it could be interesting in this game given the critical role of dragons in a character's customization.  Just because we prefer the trinity (or whatever system) doesn't mean there is no room for something different.  That said, if this does wind up being like GW2 or Rift where everyone can basically just do everything then.. meh.
  NL-Rikkert

Novice Member

Currently playing:Mount & Blade,Smite,Chivalry MW,LoL

5/07/13 3:27:02 PM#25
Originally posted by Loktofeit
Originally posted by DonY81

Im getting pretty tired of this. Ive not browsed or looked at this game extensively but come on now. Are we only putting out 4 classes....really?

That even straight out the gate is a turn off.

Most MMOs have basically 4 classes -  the three necessities for the trinity contrivance and the archer/engineer/pet class.

^ Indeed lol, do not see the OP's issue.

Either way yes 4 classes as of yet, and doesn't seem to likely they will add more, simply because there is no need for it.

1 Warrior/tank, 1 magic user, 1 ranger and 1 sort of a hybrid of warrior and magic.

Seriously what more do you need?

Some games have like 10 classes, but that's only becaue they seperate the trinity into multiple things.

Warrior becomes Barbarian,  tank & paladin..

Mage becomes Healer &  DPS

"Ranger" becomes melee assassin & archer...

Well great... like I give a damn? That's only more restrictive really. If you'd want a bit of a hybrid or say have a healer with a 2H, you my friend are insta screwed..

STOOPID
When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

ariboersma

Novice Member

5/07/13 3:37:50 PM#26
Originally posted by Aerowyn
all classes are DPS in this game.. but every class can play every role depending what dragons you have.. the whole class system is based around the dragons.. you basically pick what dps style you enjoy then can customize what role you enjoy by what dragons you tame and add to your collection.. it adds as much flexability as any class system with 10+ classes but without needing to play 10 alts.. i personally like the system gives you a ton of flexability on a single character without needing to make a ton of alts

you CANNOT depend on the dragon for anything as you cant really control it and it isnt out permanently. There is a sort of diminishing returns cooldown with having them out. When you summon one it is out for a specific amount of time and the more you summon it the shorter that time becomes. This is fine for solo content or trash but NOT for bosses. Also you cannot control what abilities a certain dragon has when you tame it, as far as I can tell its fairly random (perhaps partially random). So no.. the dragons do not add flexibility.. they add flavor.

BahamutKaiser

Novice Member

On hiatus for a while guys, MMOs still aren't interesting me.

5/08/13 6:11:16 PM#27
The way I see it, there woln't be much of a pet or summoner class since pretty much everyone is doing it, I haven't heard anything about mounted, aerial or underwater combat, but I assume if the feature is included it would also be universal.

Beyond that, the system puts interchangeable roles in dragon use so the core classes separate as few archetypes as possible to avoid customization overload.

I think one of their shortcomings here is they always open with "we generalized all classes into 4, than made customization makes you unique", when what they should say is "customization determines your character role, with 4 unique initial types as a basis".

A little language psychology goes a long way.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

Wizardry

Elite Member

Perhaps tomorrow will be better.

5/16/13 8:57:06 AM#28

Im getting pretty tired of this. Ive not browsed or looked at this game extensively but come on now. Are we only putting out 4 classes....really?

I think you should realize by now,what to expect from F2p/cash shop gaming.If my memory serves me they started ROM the same then added 2 more classes a year later.

If you are going to be a gamer that resides in F2p ,might as well accept it.Being that said,as long as those 4 classes have some depth and more than 2-3 hotbar spamming,it might have some fun value.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Napolianboo#p/u/15/rCYLLQCNc1w
Samoan Diamond

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

5/16/13 9:40:21 AM#29

is the fourth a rogue, or a paladin?

Just shuffling up the 'most popular archetypes' deck.

Doh! Rangers!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

udon

Hard Core Member

5/16/13 9:47:08 AM#30

EQ2 launched with 24 classes (12 locked to each faction) and suffered years of poor balance and some classes being irreverent in the end game as a result of it.  As a result they have so mushed together the stats and class abilities that there really are only 6-8 unique roles left each filled by 4-5 of the old classes pretty much completely overlapping each other.

Same with races.  Any unique characteristics to being a specific race are nerfed out over time until race might as be an appearance item in your inventory.  

Torvaldr

Elite Member

5/16/13 10:02:43 AM#31
Originally posted by udon

EQ2 launched with 24 classes (12 locked to each faction) and suffered years of poor balance and some classes being irreverent in the end game as a result of it.  As a result they have so mushed together the stats and class abilities that there really are only 6-8 unique roles left each filled by 4-5 of the old classes pretty much completely overlapping each other.

Same with races.  Any unique characteristics to being a specific race are nerfed out over time until race might as be an appearance item in your inventory.  

udon you nailed it.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

2 Pages « 1 2 Search