Trending Games | WildStar | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,637,923 Users Online:0
Games:678  Posts:6,073,140
Gamepot, Inc. | Official Site
Action MMO | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 01/30/13)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Wizardry Online Forum » General Discussion » What a disappointing game

6 posts found
  Ryguy786

Apprentice Member

OP  12/31/12 12:20:24 AM#1

Chaotic PVP / Criminal PVP? Possibility of permadeath? Others can loot your corpse and sometimes get items?

Sounds like the sand-box fun I've been SEARCHING ENDLESSLY FOR.

It's a sham this game's mechanics make it so painful and frustrating that you'll never even get to try PK. And when you do, oh, you'll be disappointed.

I just spent about 10-12 hours playing this game. It sucks. And here's why.

1. I rolled a mage. Don't roll a mage. You will go in clunky circles trying to hold down the right camera button while running away, but instead of being able to, I dunno, ACTUALLY kite, if you push spacebar, your character won't jump, but jump in a seemingly random direction (seeming random because it never seems to be the direction you're telling it to go).

Sometimes you can get a few fun dodges in, like dodge as they attack. LOL NEAT. Except that it's novelt wears off when you reaize it takes about 3-4 "instant"- like attacks to kill you. Then the novelty wears off and the frusteration mounts as you desperately try to dodge in weave in a game running an engine that won't allow you to dodge and weave.

So I thought, well, surely with a mutitude of new spells I'll become more useful?

No. "Flaming arrow", "magic missle" Wind arrow" or whatever the fuck. All the exact same shit, with similar damage. In fact, the starting spell is still the best spell.

So the Point-blank-AOE earth attack, SOUNDS GREAT! Except when there's 3 monsters next to you, and you do a point-blank AOE, it hits them all once. They then hit you all once, but you die. El oh el....

Or if you don't die, I just DARE you to try to run away with a clunky camera targeting system that doesn't allow you to jump in combat, only to hop around. Jumping is for non-combat only...I guess....

But I gave it a chance. I had to. It had everything I've been waiting for. So I tried my best to get used to this bunky ass combat system, telling myself "Oh its like oblivion or darkfall or something, surely it will just keep getting better". It didn't. It just kept gettring worse....

Finally, I was soul rank 2. What seemed like a forever jaunt of getting 2 shotted by mobs as they randomly aggroed me....well...,it was worth it. Im gonna be a bounty hunter. Nah fuck it, I'll get a bounty on my head. Ah lets just attack some people!

He goes...to cast....HIS SPELL! As I cast it on a fellow player, I thought in my head "hmm. Well, it's interesting that my spell is doing about 150-200 and I only have 100 hp. I wonder what's gonna happen here"

Well, the spell shot out at flying speeds and hit my enemy player for......1....

so i tried again.....2....different spells........1.......2

I literally didn't even have enough MP to get the player down to 75%. Then I camped. And just sat there and had to laugh. WTF kind of game is this? I'm such a glass cannon that I literally CANNOT take damage from mobs - Yet I have No movement slowing or snaring spells. I just have like 5 spells that do the same thing. My "paralysis" spell thats supposed to paralyze targets seems to create a little glow around them and they just continue to attack me, and my poison spell that does no damage? This spell of course casts 3 , so there's no way to get it off unless you snare them with....nothing...okkay so just start out with it.

I mean, I tried. I REALLY fucking tried. I spent 2 days TRYING! I entered a world envisioning freedom of choice, criminality, bounty hunting, and blurbing through dungeons with friends. I ended up running from my grave to the deathstone thing 28 times (# of deaths so far. I'm level 6).

And now that I'm soul rank 2, every time I die, I'm supposed to pay about 6k gold to get my % of perma death back down to 0, or throw them my items. I have a total of 5k gold and the items I'm equipping. So hopefully that 1/20 chance of....LOSING MY CHARACTER FOREVER....doesn't happen.....?

What the FUCK kind of design in this game going for!? ABSURD. ITS SO DISAPPOINTING. EVERY SINGLY ASPECT of this game get your hopes up like "omg, cool, omg cool", and then you go do it and you're like "omg, lame, omg, super lame"

Just wait til you lag die a couple of times.

I've played every big MMO to date in the last 15 years, and MOST of the even notable free ones.

This game got my hopes up the highest of the F2p gmaes, and it disappointed me the most....

Good luck with the game. It's far too slow, clunky, poorly designed. I REALLY kept justifying to myself that the game is cool. I REALLY DID. I just kept telling myself how cool it COULD be...and maybe if I was just a higher level.....

Well, do that for about 15 hours and you'll find yourself playing another game. VERY VERY stagnant gameplay.

Pardon my low tolerance for stupidity.

Darkcrystal

Advanced Member

12/31/12 12:24:16 AM#2

I have tested this, while some of  it is not my cup  of tea, I was able to take on 2 or 3 people with more skill, and such, I also rolled a mage and did not have  these issues.. Not sure why you had these issues, I also have people in my guild who like the game and reported issues and they seem to take care of some of them.

I plan to give it a chance at release. But I love that games are going more Hardcore, tired of WOW clones, and such, Maybe hardcore PVP is not for you by the sounds of it...

Being a game desiger myself, gamers use this word "clunky" which nost Devs hate because you can't help them at all fix there game with this word, AND I will tell you why, we have written  blogs and talk to testers gamers, and if you ask them what they dislike about the game and they say  clunky ask them to define  "clunky" we asked 30 people and got different replys, so no Dev will be able to fix anything, its a big pet peeve of mine when gamers use that word... If you want to see better games, one make them your self, or suggest to DEVS on the forums  in detail what you found to be wrong with the game and why in detail, if you say well its was  clunky they will just shrug there shoulders and move on. I have my BA in Game Production and the reason I went to school was I got tired of seeing WOW clones and piss poor games.

Anyways thats my 2 cents.

Ryguy786

Apprentice Member

OP  12/31/12 12:26:15 AM#3

Just to be clear.

I LIKE PERMADEATH ASPECT.

I LIKE CHAOTIC PVP.

I LIKE THOSE IDEAS.

This game just implements them so poorly it's not worth considering a game that has those features.

When you lag die, or get stuck on some little rock and monsters hit you once or twice and you die, you'll quickly realize a 6% chance of perma death without huge costs of gold just isn't worth it.

Punishment for death I like. Dying from lag, clunky controls, or your character's seemingly buggy actions I don't like.

AKA = Being punished for the game's inherent crappy mechanics is the least amount of fun anyone can have. Unless you're a self hating japanese person apparently.

Ryguy786

Apprentice Member

OP  12/31/12 12:28:26 AM#4
Originally posted by Darkcrystal

I have tested this, while some of  it is not my cup  of tea, I was able to take on 2 or 3 people with more skill, and such, I also rolled a mage and did not have  these issues.. Not sure why you had these issues, I also have people in my guild who like the game and reported issues and they seem to take care of some of them.

I plan to give it a chance at release. But I love that games are going more Hardcore, tired of WOW clones, and such, Maybe hardcore PVP is not for you by the sounds of it...

2 or 3 people with more skill?

So there were 2 or 3 better players than you, and you pked them or...what are you trying to say?

Hardcore PVP is not for me? I didn't even get to TRY pvp. Did you not read how the PVP goes?

Please read posts before attempting to respond to them.

Darkcrystal

Advanced Member

12/31/12 12:31:46 AM#5
Originally posted by Ryguy786

Just to be clear.

I LIKE CHAOTIC PVP.

I LIKE THOSE IDEAS.

This game just implements them so poorly it's not worth considering a game that has those features.

When you lag die, or get stuck on some little rock and monsters hit you once or twice and you die, you'll quickly realize a 6% chance of perma death without huge costs of gold just isn't worth it.

Punishment for death I like. Dying from lag, clunky controls, or your character's seemingly buggy actions I don't like.

AKA = Being punished for the game's inherent crappy mechanics is the least amount of fun anyone can have. Unless you're a self hating japanese person apparently.

I get what your saying just telling you I did not see that, so maybe see what is going on by asking the devs, maybe they are in debug mode?? which is common right now.. I did read it I seen alot of whining and it gets annoying to read, the game is more Hardcore than you may be used to..

I have been able to kill 2 or 3 people alone meaning the game is more skill based, were a game like WOW its unheard of its more gear base, meaning you can use Block, Dodge and move around properly, so you can win, I notice you said you died alot, so thats why I was referring to.

You said you been gaming for awhile and your still raging over a game?? Time for a knap?

Ryguy786

Apprentice Member

OP  12/31/12 12:43:31 AM#6
Originally posted by Darkcrystal
Originally posted by Ryguy786

Just to be clear.

I LIKE CHAOTIC PVP.

I LIKE THOSE IDEAS.

I get what your saying just telling you I did not see that, so maybe see what is going on by asking the devs, maybe they are in debug mode?? which is common right now.. I did read it I seen alot of whining and it gets annoying to read, the game is more Hardcore than you may be used to..

I have been able to kill 2 or 3 people alone meaning the game is more skill based, were a game like WOW its unheard of its more gear base, meaning you can use Block, Dodge and move around properly, so you can win, I notice you said you died alot, so thats why I was referring to.

You said you been gaming for awhile and your still raging over a game?? Time for a knap?

Nap* ?

WOW is much more "Skill" based in the sense that everyone is generally on the same playing field, and the onyl people without competitive gear are people that log in less than 2 days a week. Everything else is just a weekly grind to free gear.

But let's talk about skill. You get what I'm saying, but you did not see that? Were you playing the game? Do I have to FRAPS it to show you?

Able to kill 2 or 3 people alone - Okay - So I have a spell that does 2 damage to a player, 200 to monsters. Player has 100hp. I can cast spell 30 times (takes about 60 seconds...) to do 60 damage....before I run out of mana. I don't think any level of "skill" is goign to conquer that math.

You can't block as a mage. YES, you CAN dodge and move around, but there is no FUNCTIONALITY. "Properly" to you is working out, but how do you "properly" dodge into a small rock and get your character stuck...? EVERY TAP on you interrupts any casting so you can't afford to lose out to a game mechanic. If you want an extreme aspect like permadeath in a game, 50% of your deaths can't be due to the game just flat out being of poor design. A level 3 mob hits a level 3 character once for 40% of his health.

Raging?  - Look - I've been a member since 2003 and this is my first post. I don't rage - I feel players need to be WARNED that this game sucks. That alone should be a testament to how bad this is.

PURELY on the mechanical side - This game tries to use live action RPG elements in an engine that is too clunky to provide gameplay for the consequences of death.