Trending Games | EverQuest Next | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2 | Final Fantasy XV

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,789 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,312,591
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
Action RPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/15/12)  | Pub:Activision Blizzard
Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac XBox 360 PS3 Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Diablo 3 Forum » General Discussion » Use of Linux in this game = perma-ban!

10 posts found
  Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

OP  7/03/12 6:15:34 AM#1

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Nadia

Tipster

7/03/12 4:32:31 PM#2

considering that this rumor was posted a week ago (06/25)  http://www.playonlinux.com/en/commentaires-1068.html

and many Linux/Wine users are still playing,  sounds llke something else may be involved

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

OP  7/04/12 1:37:12 AM#3
Originally posted by Nadia

considering that this rumor was posted a week ago (06/25)  http://www.playonlinux.com/en/commentaires-1068.html

and many Linux/Wine users are still playing,  sounds llke something else may be involved

Sorry, but I don't visit the Linux forums. I'm just reading the news. But yeah, where are the currently playing Linux users of which you speak?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

zymurgeist

Hard Core Member

7/04/12 7:13:43 AM#4
Originally posted by Souldrainer

Sorry, but I don't visit the Linux forums. I'm just reading the news. But yeah, where are the currently playing Linux users of which you speak?

Playing Diablo 3 obviously. That's what currently playing means.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

jpnz

Novice Member

7/04/12 7:16:16 AM#5
Originally posted by Souldrainer

A few blocks from where I live.

He plays on Linux and was online 30mins ago.

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

diabloOO

Novice Member

7/12/12 10:36:28 PM#6

Nice game by the way!!!..will play that game soon.

I shared some of my tips and tricks in diablo 3 guide blog and diablo 3 walkthrough. Please feel free to comment anything. Thanks."

Sunreyes

Novice Member

7/15/12 5:27:57 AM#7

I am one of the players who had their account banned. I usually play D3 on my desktop because my laptop is older and slower. My sister is a big Linux fan and talked me into changing my operating system on my laptop. She was right in that the laptop seemed to run faster so I tried to install a few programs on it. When I tried to install D3 on it, I found that it would not work directly with a Linux operating system. I went on youtube to see how other people might do it. They walked me through installing WINE and playonlinux so that I could play in a virtual windows environment. After I installed D3, I got all the way to the character screen and then it froze. I tried again and the same thing happened. I went on the Blizzard forum and saw that it was not supported and it was implied that it would be buggy if I tried to play with WINE or playonlinux so I uninstalled D3 and continued to play on my desktop. This was about 2 weeks ago. Then, on July 12, I received this 'account banned' email from Blizzard. To be honest, I thought it was a phishing email and ignored it. Later on that night, I tried to log on and found out that I really had been banned for using 'third party software' which would give me an 'unfair advantage in the game'. Well, I sent a ticket in to Blizzard, asking them what I did wrong and got a response saying that they reviewed my account closure and that it was correct and not reversible. I wrote back again asking them to give me a specific reason for my account closure and got basically the same response but this time it was marked as 'final'. I went to the D3 forums and found many comments about the same problem. When I attempted to reply to this topic, it said that the forum was locked because it had reached its limit. There was a second forum topic on this and when I attempted to reply to that one, it said that I could not post in the forum because I had a closed account.

I have never cheated, hacked or even used foul language in these games. I have played for years through all the Diablo games, WoW and before that, I played City of Heroes and Everquest. I have always tried to maintain integrity and respect in everything I do. I can't tell you how upsetting it was to see this post by a Blizzard Employee named Bashiok:

'Playing the game on Linux, although officially not supported, will not get you banned - cheating will.'

My guess is that they will at some point realize that their cheat-finder software called Warden is flawed and they'll reinstate the wrongly-banned accounts with an apology 'for any inconvenience...' blah blah blah but right now I feel like they are blatantly calling me a cheater without giving me any opportunity to defend myself.

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

OP  7/16/12 1:09:01 AM#8
Originally posted by Sunreyes

I am one of the players who had their account banned. I usually play D3 on my desktop because my laptop is older and slower. My sister is a big Linux fan and talked me into changing my operating system on my laptop. She was right in that the laptop seemed to run faster so I tried to install a few programs on it. When I tried to install D3 on it, I found that it would not work directly with a Linux operating system. I went on youtube to see how other people might do it. They walked me through installing WINE and playonlinux so that I could play in a virtual windows environment. After I installed D3, I got all the way to the character screen and then it froze. I tried again and the same thing happened. I went on the Blizzard forum and saw that it was not supported and it was implied that it would be buggy if I tried to play with WINE or playonlinux so I uninstalled D3 and continued to play on my desktop. This was about 2 weeks ago. Then, on July 12, I received this 'account banned' email from Blizzard. To be honest, I thought it was a phishing email and ignored it. Later on that night, I tried to log on and found out that I really had been banned for using 'third party software' which would give me an 'unfair advantage in the game'. Well, I sent a ticket in to Blizzard, asking them what I did wrong and got a response saying that they reviewed my account closure and that it was correct and not reversible. I wrote back again asking them to give me a specific reason for my account closure and got basically the same response but this time it was marked as 'final'. I went to the D3 forums and found many comments about the same problem. When I attempted to reply to this topic, it said that the forum was locked because it had reached its limit. There was a second forum topic on this and when I attempted to reply to that one, it said that I could not post in the forum because I had a closed account.

I have never cheated, hacked or even used foul language in these games. I have played for years through all the Diablo games, WoW and before that, I played City of Heroes and Everquest. I have always tried to maintain integrity and respect in everything I do. I can't tell you how upsetting it was to see this post by a Blizzard Employee named Bashiok:

'Playing the game on Linux, although officially not supported, will not get you banned - cheating will.'

My guess is that they will at some point realize that their cheat-finder software called Warden is flawed and they'll reinstate the wrongly-banned accounts with an apology 'for any inconvenience...' blah blah blah but right now I feel like they are blatantly calling me a cheater without giving me any opportunity to defend myself.

You are not the only one who has said this. According to the article, most Linux users have gotten banned. I thought Diablo 3 was supposed to be a single player game?

Nadia

Tipster

7/17/12 7:44:17 AM#9

it does sound like Blizzard is not looking into this problem - hopefully there is a resolution in the future

Banned 'Diablo 3' Linux users speak out against being called cheaters

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/9/3146129/linux-diablo-3-ban

d3lord13

Apprentice Member

8/02/12 8:29:53 PM#10

it does sound like Blizzard is not looking into this problem - hopefully there is a resolution in the future

Banned 'Diablo 3' Linux users speak out against being called cheaters

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/9/3146129/linux-diablo-3-ban

Wow! this is a bad news. I hope they fix this issue.