Trending Games | Landmark | World of Warcraft | Hearthstone | Camelot Unchained

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,839 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,391
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
Action RPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/15/12)  | Pub:Activision Blizzard
Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac XBox 360 PS3 Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Diablo 3 Forum » General Discussion » How will Blizzard retaliate?

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
140 posts found
  zymurgeist

Hard Core Member

6/20/12 1:32:09 AM#81
Originally posted by waynejr2
Originally posted by doodphace

To everyone who is upset over this..

From the RMAH EULA:

"What happens if there is a patch and the item I purchased is altered?
It's important for us to ensure that Diablo III remains balanced and fun for years after launch. To that end, it may be necessary to change stats or alter abilities of items from time to time. It’s very important to note that Blizzard will not be providing refunds or making other accommodations if a purchased item is later altered in a patch. Given this, it's up to players to determine whether they're comfortable purchasing items in the real-money auction house."

Its not "law", but it is their terms that you agreed to...

I ask you all....why did you click "i agree" and proceed to buy items if you don't actually agree with it?

/sigh...

The EULA can't change federal, state or local laws.  There are laws which cover a variety of odd things which might apply.  People need to understand the EULA NEVER TRUMPS LAW.  . 

Internet lawyers need to understand an EULA is written by a real lawyer.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

simmihi

Advanced Member

6/20/12 1:32:50 AM#82
Originally posted by Praetalus

My god... I hate when this shit comes up and all the armchairs lawyers show up.... This isn't close to bait and switch, which is advertising an item and then offering something else when the consumer comes to buy said item and told that said item is not available. The items purchased were the exact items up for sale, which were then subsequently changed during a patch. You received what was being offered. You have zero legal ground and will loose. End of discussion. This is ridiculous.

Dunno man... i know Wikipedia is not the best source but...

"Software companies that initially offer software products or services for free (often under a "Beta" moniker) and at a later point make parts or all of the functionality available only in a paid product without communicating that intention from the start are said to employ bait-and-switch tactics. Or in the MMORPG community, Turbine, Inc. is known to alter deals after purchase."

You might be right tho, but you cannot argue that this is bad for business.

Jimmydean

Apprentice Member

6/20/12 1:33:05 AM#83
Originally posted by zymurgeist

From the RMAH EULA:

It's important for us to ensure that Diablo III remains balanced and fun for years after launch. To that end, it may be necessary to change stats or alter abilities of items from time to time. It’s very important to note that Blizzard will not be providing refunds or making other accommodations if a purchased item is later altered in a patch. Given this, it's up to players to determine whether they're comfortable purchasing items in the real-money auction house."

I ask you all....why did you click "i agree" and proceed to buy items if you don't actually agree with it?

/sigh...

The EULA can't change federal, state or local laws.  There are laws which cover a variety of odd things which might apply.  People need to understand the EULA NEVER TRUMPS LAW.  . 

Doesn't matter if Obama wrote it himself, an EULA is not a legal document and won't hold up in court. An EULA is an agreement that the Company sets stating they own the property and can do with it what they want.

Havekk

Hard Core Member

6/20/12 1:33:13 AM#84

From the RMAH EULA:

/sigh...

And to what "law" would you be referring? Ever heard "let the buyer beware"? Know why that little saying exist? As long as the item you received matches the item that was being sold AT THE TIME OF THE TRANSACTION, you have been made whole in our purchase. If it changes afterwards, it doesn't matter. You received what you pad for at the time. Post the laws you're referring to and I'll show you why you're wrong,
  Aori

Advanced Member

OP  6/20/12 1:34:34 AM#85
Originally posted by Aori
Originally posted by Rednecksith

How the hell are they going to chargeback a auction item? Paypal has already agreed not to. You chargeback paypal and you're in for a fight. If you chargeback a game purchase Blizzard bans all your accounts and refuses to deal with you again.

If I were Blizzard, I'd also be sending them a bill. If they refused to pay, I'd sic a collections agency on them. That'll look really good on their credit reports, eh?

Actually blizzard would need to appeal to the CC company or file suit. I don't know the mass at which this is happening but if a few thousand people chargeback for "bait and switch" then blizzard could see its name on a blacklist.

What makes it interesting is how it'll all unfold, the early damages could really harm blizzard even if they can be fixed or "justly" corrected later.

My god... I hate when this shit comes up and all the armchairs lawyers show up.... This isn't close to bait and switch, which is advertising an item and then offering something else when the consumer comes to buy said item and told that said item is not available. The items purchased were the exact items up for sale, which were then subsequently changed during a patch. You received what was being offered. You have zero legal ground and will loose. End of discussion. This is ridiculous.

Armchair lawyer? I'm not acting in any such way, i've not 'stated' any laws whatsoever. I said if people charge back for that reason then it can cause problems for blizzard, I also said it could be rectified but the damage will have been done.

Atleast read or understand posts before your comment on them with snide remarks.

zymurgeist

Hard Core Member

6/20/12 1:35:08 AM#86
Originally posted by Jimmydean

From the RMAH EULA:

/sigh...

Doesn't matter if Obama wrote it himself, an EULA is not a legal document and won't hold up in court. An EULA is an agreement that the Company sets stating they own the property and can do with it what they want.

EULA are binding contracts. To break one you need to do it the same way any contract is broken. More often than not they do hold up in court.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

doodphace

Elite Member

6/20/12 1:35:26 AM#87

From the RMAH EULA:

/sigh...

You know what else won't hold up in court? This thread's entire argument....

If you used the RMAH, you agreed to buying sh*t you knew would change, there is no "law" that states otherwise..... [mod edit]

Havekk

Hard Core Member

6/20/12 1:35:52 AM#88
  laserit

Elite Member

Confusius say: Man who go to bed with itchy bum wake up with stinky finger

6/20/12 1:37:06 AM#89

From the RMAH EULA:

/sigh...

People also need to understand that if you agree to an EULA...things that you agreed to might actually happen...

So far everyone butthurt over this keeps bringing up "EULA doesnt trump the LAW"..but nobody has been able to say which law its "trying" to trump...

Quite hard to say as there is many laws and jurisdictions involved.

the whole RMT thing is dicusting to me. I could care less about the legalities.

I hope the big price to pay is in a reputation.

"If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you." - Bruce Lee

Jimmydean

Apprentice Member

6/20/12 1:38:27 AM#90

From the RMAH EULA:

/sigh...

Wrong. This happened a long time ago when I was playing daoc. Enjoy.

http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/legal-issues/550-fyi-mythics-eula-wins-court.html

Lol read the article. It was a disagreement between them and the company, the company stating that since they spent the time in game, the items / characters should be yours. EULAs are directly against this, this is what EULAs are for. Not about chargebacks over RMT.

doodphace

Elite Member

6/20/12 1:38:53 AM#91
Originally posted by laserit

From the RMAH EULA:

/sigh...

People also need to understand that if you agree to an EULA...things that you agreed to might actually happen...

So far everyone butthurt over this keeps bringing up "EULA doesnt trump the LAW"..but nobody has been able to say which law its "trying" to trump...

Quite hard to say as there is many laws and jurisdictions involved.

the whole RMT thing is dicusting to me. I could care less about the legalities.

I hope the big price to pay is in a reputation.

I like how this is all being discussed as if Blizz didnt warn/advise the entire world about this beforehand.

Slampig

Advanced Member

Whatever you do, do NOT speak ill of Asheron's Call 2...

6/20/12 1:39:42 AM#92

Whatever, too bad you felt the need to actually buy something in this stupid AH, oh well, sucker everyday...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Havekk

Hard Core Member

6/20/12 1:43:03 AM#93

From the RMAH EULA:

/sigh...

http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/legal-issues/550-fyi-mythics-eula-wins-court.html

Lol read the article. It was a disagreement between them and the company, the company stating that since they spent the time in game, the items / characters should be yours. EULAs are directly against this, this is what EULAs are for. Not about chargebacks over RMT.

Lol, really? You do see above where the Eula specifically covers this? Dd you see that? These people are fucked. Like I said. They ecieved what they paid for at the time of the transaction.
  GTwander

Novice Member

LARPer Hunter

6/20/12 1:43:28 AM#94

I like how this is all being discussed as if Blizz didnt warn/advise the entire world about this beforehand.

The world should have known beforehand that outright paying more for intangible in-game items than you did the client itself was retarded. Especially in a game where the entire DRIVE to play is finding said loot

Blizzard fleeced a cadre of dumbasses that are going to have to man-up to the fact at some point. I do believe this is gonna be a big deal in the short future, because these chargebacks are not going to be taken lightly. War between big business and the financial instituitons taking in said claims is coming. Then we will see some ridiculous REAL laws come into play... you know... ones that *actually* exist. Because atm, they don't... and Blizz knew this, and it's why the RMAH is 100% evil genius.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Jimmydean

Apprentice Member

6/20/12 1:46:30 AM#95

From the RMAH EULA:

/sigh...

Lol, really? You do see above where the Eula specifically covers this? Dd you see that? These people are fucked. Like I said. They ecieved what they paid for at the time of the transaction.

The EULA can't reach past the game, however. Just like if Blizzard put in their EULA that "You must forfeit all of your money to us" when you click on 'Agree'. That would also not hold up. It's not a contract by any means. 

Havekk

Hard Core Member

6/20/12 1:48:17 AM#96

From the RMAH EULA:

/sigh...

Probably the non existent law that would let Blizzard go after people who file chargebacks.  Blizzard can ban accounts in this situation, nothing more.

Incorrect again. When you agree to the purchase, you agree to pay the money. If you received the item as per the description of the sale, all s well. You can't take your money back because the item changed later. LET THE BUYER BEWARE. especially since the exact instance of change is outlined in the Eula. If you take the money you agreed to pay back after the transaction, bliz can pursue per the purchase agreement.
  Jimmydean

Apprentice Member

6/20/12 1:51:08 AM#97

From the RMAH EULA:

/sigh...

Probably the non existent law that would let Blizzard go after people who file chargebacks.  Blizzard can ban accounts in this situation, nothing more.

Incorrect again. When you agree to the purchase, you agree to pay the money. If you received the item as per the description of the sale, all s well. You can't take your money back because the item changed later. LET THE BUYER BEWARE. especially since the exact instance of change is outlined in the Eula. If you take the money you agreed to pay back after the transaction, bliz can pursue per the purchase agreement.

Yea, agreements are cute. There is nothing legal about them though. Credit Institutions could eat Blizzard for lunch. They will need more than "Well they said!" to let Blizzard go after their customers.

Havekk

Hard Core Member

6/20/12 1:52:21 AM#98

From the RMAH EULA:

/sigh...

The EULA can't reach past the game, however. Just like if Blizzard put in their EULA that "You must forfeit all of your money to us" when you click on 'Agree'. That would also not hold up. It's not a contract by any means. 

It certainly is a contract. Look it up. You agree to follow the rules and they agree to let you play. Can you not be banned for breaking the Eula? As far as it not going past the game... The Eula for RMT would certainly reach out of game for payment relayed matters... Obviously.
  Jimmydean

Apprentice Member

6/20/12 1:53:32 AM#99

From the RMAH EULA:

/sigh...

It certainly is a contract. Look it up. You agree to follow the rules and they agree to let you play. Can you not be banned for breaking the Eula? As far as it not going past the game... The Eula for RMT would certainly reach out of game for payment relayed matters... Obviously.

You can be banned for breaking the EULA, but that is it. The EULA gives Blizzard control over their game, not over financial institutions / our bank account. 

I'm not saying people should be able to get their money back because items were changed in a patch. I'm only saying Blizzard has no legal basis to go after people who charge back RMAH purchases, beyond banning their account.

Havekk

Hard Core Member

6/20/12 1:53:38 AM#100

From the RMAH EULA:

/sigh...

Yea, agreements are cute. There is nothing legal about them though. Credit Institutions could eat Blizzard for lunch. They will need more than "Well they said!" to let Blizzard go after their customers.

No you're right.... Credit institutions REALLY care about you..... ROFLMAO
7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search