Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,497 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,642
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
Action RPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/15/12)  | Pub:Activision Blizzard
Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac XBox 360 PS3 Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Diablo 3 Forum » General Discussion » How about Diablo 2?

20 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  6/15/12 10:41:08 AM#1

I've been playing D3 and having a reasonably good time. I never really played D2, but I've read a lot about how great it is/was on the D3 forums. I was wondering if anyone who has played D3 first (like me) has since started playing D2.

If so, what do you think about D2? 

I'm not asking anyone to bash on D3. I'm asking what it's like for you to play an old game like D2. Are the graphics okay for you? How is the gameplay? Stuff like that. 

I have all the disks, but haven't taken the time to load them up and play. Still playing D3 and don't have tons of time. Do you think it's worthwhile starting D2. Why or why not?

Squatchin

Novice Member

6/15/12 10:44:58 AM#2

D2 was a masterpiece of a game in my opinion. I spent approximately 4 years playing that game, came back spent maybe another year and finally gave it up because of the duping of items etc..

But to this day, it is still one of my all time favorite games, and from what I have played of D3 with the guest pass, it is inferior in numerous ways.

D3 is lacking something and I think that is the "darkness" aspect that D2 had.

D3 had some hefty shoes to fill, and I think that it is a few sizes to small.

Pop those discs in and give it a shot, you might be surprised at how much better it really is and might sink a lot of your time into it.

zymurgeist

Hard Core Member

6/15/12 11:00:14 AM#3

It's a good game. You can build some really gimp toons if you don't know what you're doing. It was nerfed into ez-mode years ago otherwise. I still play it sometimes.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

Zekiah

Novice Member

Hype (noun)
1. to trick; gull.
2. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
3. swindle, deception, or trick.

6/15/12 11:02:34 AM#4

D2 is superior to D3 in almost every way. I put thousands of hours on it, in fact I'm putting more on it right now as D3 sits in the corner of my desktop, had to put it in time out. D3 is just a borefest and no matter how many times I've reloaded D2 on my hard drive, it never gets old.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Z3R01

Novice Member

MMO gamer since 1997

6/15/12 11:04:27 AM#5

D3 is better in the Graphics and Combat categories but D2 offers much more replayability through class re-rolls, a better loot system and a more forgiving and group friendly endgame.

Also imo the Classes in D2 are better. I would take the Necro, Druid & Amazon over any class in D3.

I currently have my D2 icon on my desktop right next to the newest A-Rpgs D3, TL2, Path of Exile & Krater and it still holds its own against all of them.

Playing: None

Waiting on: None

Squatchin

Novice Member

6/15/12 11:05:56 AM#6
Originally posted by Zekiah

D2 is superior to D3 in almost every way. I put thousands of hours on it, in fact I'm putting more on it right now as D3 sits in the corner of my desktop, had to put it in time out. D3 is just a borefest and no matter how many times I've reloaded D2 on my hard drive, it never gets old.

Agreed, It definately didn't get boring. What's the state of the game these days? duping still insane or has that tapered off?

Would be interested to find out.

TGSOL

Novice Member

6/15/12 11:09:45 AM#7

Don't forget mods that can add to the replayability.

Eastern Sun & Median XL are both great mods, and you can play them with the wide-screen patch.

EDITTED TO AD: Brother Laz (Median XL creator) has this on his homepage, which I thought was funny and worth sharing:

"WELCOME DIABLO III TRAIN WRECK SURVIVORS

Diablo III is imbalanced, lacks replay value and feels like a cheap money grab. This might be a very good time to download Median XL again and cleanse the taint from your memories. Welcome back.

And the community you remember still exists! Head on over to the forum for Median XL and the third party spinoffs that are being developed."

Zekiah

Novice Member

Hype (noun)
1. to trick; gull.

6/15/12 11:12:43 AM#8

Here are a few helpful links if you're going to play:

Diablo 2 forums (for builds and info.)

Diablo 2 skill calculator

*Plug Y (endless stash and other great features) download here (choose ZIP version)

*Only works up to 1.13C which you can download here

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Zekiah

Novice Member

Hype (noun)
1. to trick; gull.

6/15/12 11:14:12 AM#9
Originally posted by ZombieFeast

Agreed, It definately didn't get boring. What's the state of the game these days? duping still insane or has that tapered off?

Would be interested to find out.

I don't play online, don't like the bots, spam or lag. I play single player with Plug Y instead.

It's great actually, just restarted last night and couldn't be happier.

Z3R01

Novice Member

MMO gamer since 1997

6/15/12 11:15:48 AM#10
Originally posted by TGSOL

Eastern Sun & Median XL are both great mods, and you can play them with the wide-screen patch.

EDITTED TO AD: Brother Laz (Median XL creator) has this on his homepage, which I thought was funny and worth sharing:

Diablo III is imbalanced, lacks replay value and feels like a cheap money grab. This might be a very good time to download Median XL again and cleanse the taint from your memories. Welcome back.

And the community you remember still exists! Head on over to the forum for Median XL and the third party spinoffs that are being developed."

The widescreen patch doesnt work online does it? I dont understand why Blizzard wont update D2 to work widescreen Thousands of people still play D2 daily. I dont want to play offline to see my game in Widescreen.

Zekiah

Novice Member

Hype (noun)
1. to trick; gull.

6/15/12 11:17:45 AM#11
Originally posted by Z3R01

The widescreen patch doesnt work online does it? I dont understand why Blizzard wont update D2 to work widescreen Thousands of people still play D2 daily. I dont want to play offline to see my game in Widescreen.

Actually, I believe starting in 1.13 (or could be Plug Y, not sure) the screen will stretch. It's not perfect but it looks pretty good in wide screen. For Diablo 2 graphics anyway.

And yes, Median XL is a great mod. I think I prefer the original with Plug Y instead though just because it's familar to me.

Axxar

Hard Core Member

"See how I reward those who fail me!"

6/15/12 11:17:58 AM#12
Diablo 2 is a great game, and you should try it out. I find the biggest hurdle in playing it again is the graphics because it's so muddy on full-screen. I found playing it in windows mode helps a lot since the view doesn't get stretched that way. Gameplay is essentially the same as Diablo 3 though, but with simpler combat. There's a different story and some cool settings, and IMO definitely worth at least one playthrough. As is the original Diablo. If you're just going to do one playthrough you don't need to look up all sorts of guides and skill calculators either since you'll be able to do fine with a gimp build on Normal difficulty.

"Tiny clown, he got wet. I was talking to a psychic and I can't sleep in the ozone. There are too many different peanuts, looking sad.

User Deleted

OP  6/15/12 11:18:59 AM#13

*Plug Y (endless stash and other great features) download here (choose ZIP version)

Thanks for the links!

And everyone, thanks for all the responses. I didn't expect so much so quickly. It would be kind of funny if it was D3 that got me to play D2. From what I've read about D2 here and elsewhere, it's an epic game that shouldn't be missed  out on.

Cheers!

Zekiah

Novice Member

Hype (noun)
1. to trick; gull.

6/15/12 11:21:02 AM#14
Originally posted by 7star

Thanks for the links!

And everyone, thanks for all the responses. I didn't expect so much so quickly. It would be kind of funny if it was D3 that got me to play D2. From what I've read about D2 here and elsewhere, it's an epic game that shouldn't be missed  out on.

Cheers!

A lot of us diehard D2 fans are upset about what they did to D3 and D2 is the only way to get our fix.

Brother Laz says it best:

Brother Laz (Median XL creator) has this on his homepage, which I thought was funny and worth sharing:

And yes, if you haven't played it, you really need to. It's an epic crawler. I've put more hours on that game alone than perhaps every other game combined. No joke.

TGSOL

Novice Member

6/15/12 1:02:32 PM#15

I know it can get you banned (if it even works at all) on the official BNet servers. Other than that, I honestly couldn't tell you; I never played anything but vanilla D2 in multiplayer.

zymurgeist

Hard Core Member

6/15/12 2:17:59 PM#16

It's because they want you to play D3 and they don't make any significant money off D2 any more. Don't need a tinfoil hat for that one.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

Axxar

Hard Core Member

"See how I reward those who fail me!"

6/16/12 3:28:09 AM#17

They've been against increasing screen size beyond 800x600 for many years before Diablo 3 was even announced. The issue was always with the monster sight radius, according to Blizzard back then.

"Tiny clown, he got wet. I was talking to a psychic and I can't sleep in the ozone. There are too many different peanuts, looking sad.

User Deleted

OP  6/16/12 3:33:33 AM#18

So for best quality graphics out of the box (without mods), I should run it on 800 x 600? Windowed?

Seems like it would be kind of small. 

Is that right?

Edit: Installing off the CDs now :)

Z3R01

Novice Member

MMO gamer since 1997

6/20/12 7:38:15 AM#19
Originally posted by 7star

So for best quality graphics out of the box (without mods), I should run it on 800 x 600? Windowed?

Seems like it would be kind of small. 

Is that right?

Edit: Installing off the CDs now :)

YOu can play widescreen if you dont mind the slight stretching. Honestly after a couple hours most people get used to it.

spikers14

Novice Member

6/20/12 12:18:24 PM#20

I would play D2 again if somebody put it on my smart phone. At least then, stuff would be too smal to see how crappy it looks. I do agree though, the classes (with xpack) were more enticing to me overall than D3.

If Minecraft graphics don't bother you though, you might feel right at home with D2.

I do agree the gameply IS still fun though...brb, my eyes are bleeding.