Trending Games | Wizard101 | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,899,265 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,267,758
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
Action RPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/15/12)  | Pub:Activision Blizzard
Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac XBox 360 PS3 Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Diablo 3 Forum » General Discussion » Darksiders: The kind of story Diablo 3 *should* have had...

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
32 posts found
  Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

OP  1/14/13 5:02:54 AM#1

Warning :  Darksiders game spoiled 100%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIaeq1E9WJw

Anyway, I rest my case!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

1/14/13 12:25:39 PM#2

To be fair, the story  in D3 is jsut a thin excuse to kill lots of stuff and get loot.

I probably won't care if the story is 10x better, or 10x worse.

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

OP  1/15/13 6:47:15 AM#3
Originally posted by nariusseldon

To be fair, the story  in D3 is jsut a thin excuse to kill lots of stuff and get loot.

I don't see how this can be construed as a defense of the game.  In Darksiders, the story serves the same purpose.  Same with Borderlands, and Torchlight, and dozens of other games that have better stories.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

zymurgeist

Hard Core Member

1/15/13 2:23:27 PM#4
Originally posted by Souldrainer

I don't see how this can be construed as a defense of the game.  In Darksiders, the story serves the same purpose.  Same with Borderlands, and Torchlight, and dozens of other games that have better stories.

Why would the game need defending? It's not a woman's virtue or a man's honor, or vice versa. I like the story in D3. The Darksiders story doesn't impress me. In neither case would the story induce me to part with money on it's own. What is this need to pick everything apart?

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

OP  1/18/13 3:00:52 AM#5
Originally posted by zymurgeist

Why would the game need defending? It's not a woman's virtue or a man's honor, or vice versa. I like the story in D3. The Darksiders story doesn't impress me. In neither case would the story induce me to part with money on it's own. What is this need to pick everything apart?

You make a very strange argument. Nonetheless, the game is being attacked for its horrible story everywhere, including Youtube, Amazon, and Metacritic. Now, I respect that your opinion varies, but the D3 story is very juvenile and has poor development of plot and characters, the latter of which are one dimensional, whereas DS has rich, deep characters with multiple facets of light and darkness within themselves. Was the Darksiders story too complex for you?

Rednecksith

Apprentice Member

Bite my fiery metal ass!

1/18/13 3:21:15 AM#6

Yeah, sorry. I love D3 and will defend it to the death, but the story was absolute crap. It plays out like something written by a high school student for a comp class project, and a C+ (being generous) one at that.

Belial, the lord of lies and deception, has a plot which wouldn't even make the cut as an episode of the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

Azmodan, supposedly the best tactician of Hell, attacks at the most predictable place, in the most predictable manner possible (HELL ZERG!). Not only that, but he announces to the hero exactly what he's doing / is going to do at all times. Then fails to retreat when it's clear he's beaten.

Cain dies to EVIL BUTTERFLY MAGIC.

Zultan Kulle may as well have had a goddamn neon sign over his head saying, "I WILL BETRAY YOU BITCHES! BWAHAHAHAHA!" *vanishes*

Adria was nearly as bad. "Oh yes, I've sacrificed everything to combat evil! Don't question me! I'm a good guy, really! Even though I treat my daughter with less love than most people treat their sex toys..."

Anyone with half a brain (or less) can pretty much guess that Leah was Diablo's child by the end of the first 8th of Act 1.

Stephanie Meyer could come up with a better plot, better characters, and better dialogue. The only redeeming factor was the kick-ass cutscenes.

Edit: And those are just some of the major problems. I could practically write my own novel on all the plot holes & inconsistencies in the story. Seriously, it's like George Lucas wrote the damn thing while he was drunk, high, feverish, or all of the above.

zymurgeist

Hard Core Member

1/18/13 9:58:46 PM#7

You make a very strange argument. Nonetheless, the game is being attacked for its horrible story everywhere, including Youtube, Amazon, and Metacritic. Now, I respect that your opinion varies, but the D3 story is very juvenile and has poor development of plot and characters, the latter of which are one dimensional, whereas DS has rich, deep characters with multiple facets of light and darkness within themselves. Was the Darksiders story too complex for you?

Too overblown and overdramatic. The plot is fine the presentation is strictly amature hour.

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

OP  1/19/13 5:08:21 AM#8

Too overblown and overdramatic. The plot is fine the presentation is strictly amature hour.

Overblown and overdramatic?  You're playing one of the four most powerful beings in the entire Multiverse.  I think you might be used to plots where you are one person among the faceless masses.  DS isn't like that. 

nariusseldon

Elite Member

1/23/13 3:49:39 PM#9

uh? how is it not a defend of the story aspect of the game? I am saying story is just not important and not why i play D3. If i want a good story, i read David Weber, my fav author.

If the combat is fun, and builds varies, why do i care about the story?

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

OP  1/23/13 6:30:05 PM#10

uh? how is it not a defend of the story aspect of the game? I am saying story is just not important and not why i play D3. If i want a good story, i read David Weber, my fav author.

Well, some of us played Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 for the story. For Diablo2 especially, beating a new act and unlocking a new cinematic was really awesome. Diablo 3.... honestly makes me want to slap the writers upside the head. Leah is the daughter of The Wanderer, making Deckard Cain your character's brother in Diablo 1. I am sorry, but shit like that just takes a great franchise and ruins it.

zymurgeist

Hard Core Member

1/24/13 4:54:46 AM#11

Well, some of us played Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 for the story. For Diablo2 especially, beating a new act and unlocking a new cinematic was really awesome. Diablo 3.... honestly makes me want to slap the writers upside the head. Leah is the daughter of The Wanderer, making Deckard Cain your character's brother in Diablo 1. I am sorry, but shit like that just takes a great franchise and ruins it.

That is completely wrong. You didn't understand the story at all. Deckard Cain has no relatives.

On a related note Vigil went under with THQ. No one wanted it so no more Darksiders.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

1/24/13 4:02:36 PM#12

Oh really? That it will make D1 & D2 a very short game. If you are playing for the story, there is no point in going through the same story segment more than once, right?

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

OP  1/24/13 4:35:20 PM#13

Oh really? That it will make D1 & D2 a very short game. If you are playing for the story, there is no point in going through the same story segment more than once, right?

There is no "point" to any entertainment, ever.  I think overall, I have watched the Diablo 1 cinematics about 50 times each and the Diablo 2 cinematics about 200 times.  I was really blown away at first, and I still watch them sometimes, and still love them.  The cinematic voice acting was superb and the direction and overall presentation was above anything I have seen in gaming, perhaps even now.  Maybe the SWTOR cinematics compare, but in Diablo 2, the cinematics went with the story as you progressed, whereas in SWTOR they are just backstory.

By contrast, Diablo 3 did one thing right with the story, by telling it as you went along.  However, the story they told was one of the worst pieces of writing I have ever seen.  I am trying to think of a game or movie that had worse writing, but just the plot holes alone send the thing way off the charts.  That's not counting the thematic disconnect and the failure to attach to the massive target audience of Diablo fans.  But hey, who cares about making a good game, as long as you make money?

User Deleted
1/24/13 4:38:40 PM#14

So is it now standard to bash every game on it's story component, or does this only apply to D3?

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

OP  1/24/13 7:57:43 PM#15
Originally posted by Psychow

So is it now standard to bash every game on it's story component, or does this only apply to D3?

Did you read any of the thread at all?

User Deleted
1/24/13 8:01:35 PM#16

No. I figured it was more biased garbage from someone who would rate the game 0 / 10 and deem it worse than ET from Atari. 

If I'm mistaken, then I apologize...

Razperil

Novice Member

Everything has it's time and its place, know yours?

1/24/13 8:02:21 PM#17

Warning :  Darksiders game spoiled 100%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIaeq1E9WJw

Anyway, I rest my case!

Love the Darksider games. A very valid point.

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

OP  1/25/13 6:04:19 PM#18

No. I figured it was more biased garbage from someone who would rate the game 0 / 10 and deem it worse than ET from Atari. 

If I'm mistaken, then I apologize...

Explain what makes me biased.. and what makes it garbage? All I did was compare the stories from other games to the one from D3. Too much for you? Edit: Giving a game a low rating doesn't equate to bias. It simply equates to... a low rating. I give it 0/10 because it's actually a thinly veiled marketing tool though... no real game to it.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

1/28/13 1:23:30 PM#19

By contrast, Diablo 3 did one thing right with the story, by telling it as you went along.  However, the story they told was one of the worst pieces of writing I have ever seen.  I am trying to think of a game or movie that had worse writing, but just the plot holes alone send the thing way off the charts.  That's not counting the thematic disconnect and the failure to attach to the massive target audience of Diablo fans.  But hey, who cares about making a good game, as long as you make money?

You can't make money without making a good game. There is still more people playing D3 then most other online games (xfire numbers).

And .. the original point is that who cares about a good story when the game is great in combat and progression. The story is just an excuse to kill lots of stuff. And story is never the main attraction in a Diablo game.

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

OP  1/28/13 1:32:02 PM#20

You can't make money without making a good game. There is still more people playing D3 then most other online games (xfire numbers).

And .. the original point is that who cares about a good story when the game is great in combat and progression. The story is just an excuse to kill lots of stuff. And story is never the main attraction in a Diablo game.

What?!?!  I do NOT believe that you have to make a good product to make money.  I believe you just have to make a product, period.  As evidenced by:  Justin Beiber, and 90% of the sales at Wal Mart.  People buy some really low quality crap these days.

And... the original point is that who cares?  Well, if you are a Diablo fan, you do, because it is a major staple of the series.  Err, it was until that trashy game came out in 2012 and ruined the whole thing.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search