Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,334 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,315,960
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
Action RPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/15/12)  | Pub:Activision Blizzard
Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac XBox 360 PS3 Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Diablo 3 Forum » General Discussion » Blizzard: Guilty until proven innocent.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
69 posts found
  Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

12/02/12 6:48:45 AM#41
Originally posted by Demandman

I've cheated left and right in WoW, receiving warnings and temp bans for it all, though never permanent. I have a hard time believing that people ever get banned in WoW without severely breaking the ToS. Are you in denial?

When someone steals your account, do you seriously think that anything they do will be legal? They'd just use their own account. I had mine stolen... and they did lock it twice for the one incident.. and the second time they were asking for photo ID. I told them I would give it to them later... and later ended up being never, lol. I had a good seven year run with the game, but Cata-era gameplay was not worth all of that garbage. The real kicker was that I had the Android authenticator, but lost my phone... and since my WoW account was inactive and the polhone was reported and replaced, I thought it was about as secure as things get... boy was I wrong!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Seelinnikoi

Hard Core Member

12/02/12 7:31:57 AM#42

I am sorry to be the jerk here but...

Have you not heard of Blizzard Authenticator?

It's free if you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad and free for all Android users.

OR you can buy for 9 bucks the physical authenticator.

Surely with all that gaming history you have you would have been smart enough to protect your account?i

User Deleted
12/02/12 7:42:10 AM#43
Originally posted by zymurgeist
Unfortunately Blizzard customer service is being overwhelmed by thieves and clueless people so they don't have the ability to give issues the immediate service they deserve. Submit your ticket and wait.

This poster speaks the truth.  If the OP is being forthright in his claims, he will be vindicated. 

Mtibbs1989

Hard Core Member

12/02/12 12:13:48 PM#44
Originally posted by MurlockDance
Originally posted by grounnn

(snip)

I came home after work on a friday afternoon and was logging into World of Warcraft when I was prompted by a pop-up message telling me my account was locked down. So, I went digging through my e-mails and came across a Blizzard e-mail stating that I had broken the TOS. They had pointed out that I had "illegally" changed characters from one server to the next on my accounts. Apparently from what they stated. The service they offered was against their rules. Now mind you I had fixed the issue and validated all my account information so I could get the account up and running that night for raiding (by the way, when they lock down your account, you lose that months subscription. Remember that for the rest of this post). After Friday nights raid. I tried logging back on saturday to do progression and came across the same issue again. It turns out they wanted more information (SSN, Identification, Birth Certificate, etc). Even after I had given them my valid CC(credit card) to validate that I indeed was the person in control of the account. So, I made a photocopy of my I.D. and sent it to Blizzard. Later that night my account was unlocked and I was able to play again.

(snip)

Underlined : What on earth?! I never, ever heard of this happening in a video game, ever! I have a hard time believing that. It is not like you put your SSN in your account details. How do they even know who you are based on your SSN from the information you give them when you set up your account? Also, not all of the players on USA are American citizens and have one. I call shenanigans on that.

Plus, how can you be in violation if you use THEIR offered services? This whole thing does not make sense or you didn't explain it properly.

It's exactly why I no longer play Blizzard games anymore, it made no sense to me either. They wanted identification and SSN falls under that catigory for them. The reason I was blocked was for using their character transfers and server changes.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Advanced Member

12/02/12 12:21:22 PM#45

You should've just played without your stuff ;_;

Can't win with blizzard.

Jonoku

Spotlight Poster

"Veni Vidi Vici"

12/02/12 12:28:26 PM#46
Originally posted by 207312

Can't win with blizzard.

oh people won...........blizzard lost.

Looking at: The Repopulation
Preordering: None
Playing: Random Games

Phry

Elite Member

12/02/12 12:30:45 PM#47
Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

Surely with all that gaming history you have you would have been smart enough to protect your account?i

hackers are getting clever, rather than try and hack Blizzard, which is virtually impossible, they hack the players, and by stealing email accounts, they can effectively take control of any game associated with that email address, and if their smart, get the account shifted to yet another email address that cuts virtually any possibility of the original account owner from reclaiming it, amazes me that people have such bad security practices, given todays internets 'crime rate' which is humongous. But, having an authenticator will usually be enough of a hurdle to encourage a would be hacker to pick on someone with a less protected account, and boy are there plenty of those. Chances are the email address the guy used was obtained from a WoW/D3 associated forum.

snapfusion

Apprentice Member

12/02/12 12:31:30 PM#48

Wow,

we dont have the same systems in place to protect our customers in Diablo 3 as we do in Wow so sorry we cant help you. 

Thats amazing to me.  In a game where they are actually dealing in real cash transactions they cut corners on logging.

Avarix

Advanced Member

12/02/12 12:43:07 PM#49

(snip)

I came home after work on a friday afternoon and was logging into World of Warcraft when I was prompted by a pop-up message telling me my account was locked down. So, I went digging through my e-mails and came across a Blizzard e-mail stating that I had broken the TOS. They had pointed out that I had "illegally" changed characters from one server to the next on my accounts. Apparently from what they stated. The service they offered was against their rules. Now mind you I had fixed the issue and validated all my account information so I could get the account up and running that night for raiding (by the way, when they lock down your account, you lose that months subscription. Remember that for the rest of this post). After Friday nights raid. I tried logging back on saturday to do progression and came across the same issue again. It turns out they wanted more information (SSN, Identification, Birth Certificate, etc). Even after I had given them my valid CC(credit card) to validate that I indeed was the person in control of the account. So, I made a photocopy of my I.D. and sent it to Blizzard. Later that night my account was unlocked and I was able to play again.

(snip)

Underlined : What on earth?! I never, ever heard of this happening in a video game, ever! I have a hard time believing that. It is not like you put your SSN in your account details. How do they even know who you are based on your SSN from the information you give them when you set up your account? Also, not all of the players on USA are American citizens and have one. I call shenanigans on that.

Plus, how can you be in violation if you use THEIR offered services? This whole thing does not make sense or you didn't explain it properly.

It's exactly why I no longer play Blizzard games anymore, it made no sense to me either. They wanted identification and SSN falls under that catigory for them. The reason I was blocked was for using their character transfers and server changes.

Are you sure you were actually in contact with Blizzard and not a third party? I also have NEVER heard of a game company wanting someone's SSN. In fact most of that information is outright refused by companies if you try to give it for liability issues. Something isn't right there. Sounds like a phishing scam. Hope you didn't call the number that was given in the e-mail.

Mtibbs1989

Hard Core Member

12/02/12 3:04:18 PM#50
Originally posted by Avarix

(snip)

(snip)

Are you sure you were actually in contact with Blizzard and not a third party? I also have NEVER heard of a game company wanting someone's SSN. In fact most of that information is outright refused by companies if you try to give it for liability issues. Something isn't right there. Sounds like a phishing scam. Hope you didn't call the number that was given in the e-mail.

No, it was just some other "Blizzard" corporation that was locking my account. What kind of question is this? No I don't call phone numbers through e-mails. I used Blizzards main site to obtain their phone number which is 1-800-592-5499. It was indeed from their company. No phisher could lock down my account.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Mtibbs1989

Hard Core Member

12/02/12 3:09:54 PM#51

Hackers have already beat the authenticator, nice try. 

Avarix

Advanced Member

12/02/12 3:38:35 PM#52

(snip)

(snip)

No, it was just some other "Blizzard" corporation that was locking my account. What kind of question is this? No I don't call phone numbers through e-mails. I used Blizzards main site to obtain their phone number which is 1-800-592-5499. It was indeed from their company. No phisher could lock down my account.

I apologize. I didn't mean to upset you. It's simply ludicrous to hand a game company your Social Security Number AND Birth Certificate. I didn't even like giving those to get my driver's license, let alone to play World of Warcraft. I just don't find it plausible that they actually asked and accepted those things from you. It's baffling to me.

Mtibbs1989

Hard Core Member

12/02/12 3:50:01 PM#53

(snip)

(snip)

I apologize. I didn't mean to upset you. It's simply ludicrous to hand a game company your Social Security Number AND Birth Certificate. I didn't even like giving those to get my driver's license, let alone to play World of Warcraft. I just don't find it plausible that they actually asked and accepted those things from you. It's baffling to me.

You didn't upset me, and you're right there's no reason a company should be asking for so much idenfitication for a video game. Which is why I found it appauling. I did the photocopy of my CC and ID after that I went off on them, because they wanted more identification from me.

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

12/02/12 8:48:31 PM#54
Yup.. standard procedure for Blizzard. If your account gets hacked and you call them, they give you a few hours to get it straight and then start asking for all kinds of weird IDs.. over the phone... I don't know if that part ever ends because I never sent what they asked for the first time. Maybe it's a "soft" form of perma-ban? It's ironic that they pretend to be strict about security when mpst players know that their biggest profits come from gold farmers.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

User Deleted
12/02/12 11:29:06 PM#55
Dude, just buy a copy of Torchlight 2 and forget about it. :)
  Mtibbs1989

Hard Core Member

12/03/12 1:30:39 AM#56
Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
Dude, just buy a copy of Torchlight 2 and forget about it. :)

Better yet, Path of Exile will be coming out soon and it's better than both Torchlight and Diablo. The best part about it, is the fact that it's 100% free (with cashshop).

zymurgeist

Hard Core Member

12/03/12 3:31:08 PM#57

Hackers have already beat the authenticator, nice try. 

For Diablo? No. It happened long ago a very few times when they first came out for WoW. It's not worth the trouble to hack it.   It's much easier to compromise accounts without them.

Shenanigans. There's no way in hell Blizzard asked for anyone's  social security number.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

User Deleted
12/03/12 3:39:37 PM#58
Originally posted by Jonoku
From what I hear blizzard is shutting down WoW in a year and a half because of all the sueing thats been going on, plus its an old game and blizzard has been guilty and lost every court.

Oh yeah, I hear they are shutting down the internet too. Cell phones will be next to be shut down.

Mtibbs1989

Hard Core Member

12/04/12 12:27:56 PM#59
Originally posted by Psychow
Originally posted by Jonoku
From what I hear blizzard is shutting down WoW in a year and a half because of all the sueing thats been going on, plus its an old game and blizzard has been guilty and lost every court.

Oh yeah, I hear they are shutting down the internet too. Cell phones will be next to be shut down.

Seriously, even if they were being sued, a single month will make them more money than those cases were costing them.

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

12/11/12 8:49:56 AM#60

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Shenanigans. There's no way in hell Blizzard asked for anyone's  social security number.  

Why would you call us liars? I personally spoke on the phone with them under the same circumstances. Keep in mind, after the hacks, these accounts might have had some extremely illegal stuff happen. The whole reason I found out I was hacked was because my RL brother called me on the phone and asked why I emptied out the guild bank. Like... for the whole guild. He was asking what I was going to do with the stuff and when when I'd be able to return it... when my account had been inactive for 2 months... and my account had an authenticator on it on an android phone which was password protected and rendered dead by the phone company hours after it was lost.

This is the exact stuff that is getting Blizzard sued right now. Why is it that I can have $7000 worth of Steam games on my system and not get hacked, but my WOW account gets hacked like nothing. Yeah, no. Purposely lax security sells authenticators and sells accounts.

Back to the SSN asking. They did it. For real. You don't have to believe me, but you should consider these two facts: #1 I have no reason to lie about it. #2 It's widely verifiable, including one verification by another person in this thread who had the same exact thing happen to him.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search