Trending Games | ArcheAge | Trove | WildStar | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,870,138 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,253,507
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
Action RPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/15/12)  | Pub:Activision Blizzard
Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac XBox 360 PS3 Playstation 4 Xbox One | Out of date info? Let us know!

Diablo 3 Forum » General Discussion » D3 totally killed MMO's for me!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
50 posts found
  IrishChai

Elite Member

4/29/12 1:56:25 AM#21
Originally posted by wrightstuf
Originally posted by Gajari
Originally posted by IrishChai
Originally posted by FrodoFragins
D3 allows you to log in at any time and advance your character.  You can do any content you want without lockouts.  Those are two things that MMOs refuse to give us.

Good point. The only thing I wonder about here is how I've heard even playing alone will require being online with battle.net? How is that going to work exactly? Sorry I don't know the details... I haven't played much of any prior Diablo or any other battle.net game outside of WoW.

Regardless, I hope a few MMO developers see this. There are several better directions that upcoming MMOs can take other than the recently popular F2P conversion. The obvious mechanics that just slow people down so we'll play it longer is also becoming some of the least desirable traits in any MMO (like raid lockouts, tedious mob grinding, boring professions, etc.).

Basically, from the moment you open up the game, you're online and can't do anything offline. Even when single player with no other players around, you're gonna be online. Just like when you first log into whatever MMO you play.

If you can't get online, you can't play the game.

If you played Diablo I and/or Diablo II, you can remember the hacking and cheating that all but ruined those 2 games. you also need to know that piracy hits Blizzard, as well as other developers hard. Making the game online and having characters server side will give them far more control over that. you also cant have single player separate from online. you would have these hacked out cheaters jumping in with the online multiplayers ruining the game all over again.

I applaud blizzard's idea to make it online...yes, it could be an inconvience for some. you can blame the criminals for that, not blizzard.

Makes sense. I'm all for it.  I'm a little biased though since I'm always 'connected' and it won't affect me.

aSynchro

Hard Core Member

4/29/12 2:14:50 AM#22
i hope D3 and other action-mmo (Torchlight etc) will finaly allow mmorpg to be more sandboxy.

imho the mmorpg have been.plagued for years by players that only wanted fast combats, but don't care about "living breathing worlds" (what mmorpg should be) and that's why we seen more and more instanced pvp, lfd/lfr and less roleplay in thus games.

so yeah : all thus that want "fast leveling" and no "boring text quest" will go play D3 and maybe devs will stop dumbing down mmorpg...
  aSynchro

Hard Core Member

4/29/12 2:14:50 AM#23
(double post)
  Betaguy

Hard Core Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

4/29/12 2:16:23 AM#24
Originally posted by expresso
Yeah I passed up gw2 in favour of d3, an mmo is an mmo not matter how they dress it up and I'm done with mmos for a while, d3 genuinely feels fresh and different.  Two weeks can't wait.

Well met, I couldn't had said it any better thyself...

Shodanas

Elite Member

4/29/12 2:18:10 AM#25
Blizzard is a grandmaster when it comes to hype and anticipation. Millions of WoW subscribers with absolutely nothing going on in WoW atm and with MoP still 4 to 6 months away (although it's almost ready) will storm D3's servers. The game is very good though, played the beta and loved it. Somehow, i must find i way to squeeze both SW TOR and D3 in my limited gaming time. 
  Axxar

Hard Core Member

"See how I reward those who fail me!"

4/29/12 3:34:05 AM#26
Originally posted by aSynchro
i hope D3 and other action-mmo (Torchlight etc) will finaly allow mmorpg to be more sandboxy.

imho the mmorpg have been.plagued for years by players that only wanted fast combats, but don't care about "living breathing worlds" (what mmorpg should be) and that's why we seen more and more instanced pvp, lfd/lfr and less roleplay in thus games.

so yeah : all thus that want "fast leveling" and no "boring text quest" will go play D3 and maybe devs will stop dumbing down mmorpg...

Diablo 3 and Torchlight are not MMOs.

"Tiny clown, he got wet. I was talking to a psychic and I can't sleep in the ozone. There are too many different peanuts, looking sad.

AZHokie54

Apprentice Member

4/29/12 3:37:15 AM#27
Originally posted by aSynchro

There is NOTHING "MMO" about D3.

drel

Novice Member

4/29/12 3:42:48 AM#28
D3 isn't an MMO
  Jyiiga

Advanced Member

4/30/12 9:46:20 AM#29

If you're interested in quick games, loot, buying/selling... D3 all the way.

I will add that after playing PVP matches all weekend long in GW2 I would buy it day one if that was the only feature it had. D3 (at launch) will not have PVP and to be honest the Diablo franchise isn't know for its PVP. 

mklinic

Elite Member

4/30/12 9:55:10 AM#30

Good point. The only thing I wonder about here is how I've heard even playing alone will require being online with battle.net? How is that going to work exactly? Sorry I don't know the details... I haven't played much of any prior Diablo or any other battle.net game outside of WoW.

Basically, from the moment you open up the game, you're online and can't do anything offline. Even when single player with no other players around, you're gonna be online. Just like when you first log into whatever MMO you play.

Doesn't seem too bad, but I can definitely see it as a pain if I traveled a lot or owned a laptop.

One problem I ran into, and I'm not sure if this is going to be standard or was just a matter of beta stress test, was that during the standard Tuesday Maintenance window, I couldn't even login to play D3 in single-player mode. I get the reasons given for 'always-online' be it cheating-prevention, RMAH, or whatever, but still frustrating to not be able to play the game 'whenever, wherever'. As a laptop user who travels for work, at least I still have Old Faithful (Age of Empires 2 :P).

Still enjoy D3 mind you. Just my one little gripe about it.

-mklinic

"There's a point I think we're missing.
It's in the air we raise our fists in."
-from Behind Closed Doors by Rise Against

wrekognize

Apprentice Member

4/30/12 10:18:15 AM#31

woah! This speaks to the lack of MMOs out there. Or that you need to expand your gaming and try something other than a WOW like game.

expresso

Tipster

4/30/12 11:10:44 AM#32
Originally posted by mklinic

Doesn't seem too bad, but I can definitely see it as a pain if I traveled a lot or owned a laptop.

One problem I ran into, and I'm not sure if this is going to be standard or was just a matter of beta stress test, was that during the standard Tuesday Maintenance window, I couldn't even login to play D3 in single-player mode. I get the reasons given for 'always-online' be it cheating-prevention, RMAH, or whatever, but still frustrating to not be able to play the game 'whenever, wherever'. As a laptop user who travels for work, at least I still have Old Faithful (Age of Empires 2 :P).

Think of wow, when outside of scheduled  maintainence are we not able to log in?, blizzard have a solid record the last few year, I don't think we need to worry about the servers not working in live.

mklinic

Elite Member

4/30/12 11:35:10 AM#33
Originally posted by expresso

Think of wow, when outside of scheduled  maintainence are we not able to log in?, blizzard have a solid record the last few year, I don't think we need to worry about the servers not working in live.

Yes, I am aware of WoW, its maintenance schedule, and the fact it is an MMO which, by nature requires you to be online.

For the most part, this wont be an issue as maintenance is, more often then not, pretty quick. However, the fact it is an issue and I can't play even single-player during this time is a bit counter-intuitive for a game that has a 'single-player' mode. That's all. I'm probably just part of a dying breed that doesn't think 'always-online' games (which are not MMOs obviously), whether for anti-cheating, DRM, RealID, or some other reason, are that great for me as a consumer.

Like I said though, the game is fun and this is my only real beef with it. 

-mklinic

Istavaan

Advanced Member

4/30/12 11:38:09 AM#34
if you all are sick of mmo's why do you even come on this site?
  fivoroth

Spotlight Poster

4/30/12 12:22:55 PM#35
Originally posted by Istavaan

To troll? MMOs are meh but MMORPG is cool :)

@OP, that's the reason I love action RPGs because they let you play whenever you want and don't require a gazillion people to play. And they are fun! But for some reason over the years action RPGs got replaced by MMOs which are very slow paced and require huge time commitment.

Beating Inferno on HC will be insane!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

ElderRat

Novice Member

4/30/12 12:26:21 PM#36
Originally posted by Istavaan

Perhaps in the hope that a new MMO will come out that is what we are looking for to revitalize out interest. Currently there is no mmo that I want to play.  Hopefully that will change, and this is the site that will most likely let me know about it.

Currently bored with MMO's.

Trionicus

Novice Member

4/30/12 12:40:09 PM#37

I'm still looking forward to this game. Basically I'm only playing Skyrim and with no Co-op it's kind of bitter sweet. On the other hand this single player must be online bullshit is pissing me off. I thought all the statistical facts proved otherwise. I'd really like someone to try and hack my lan game.

Anyway, yep pretty much feel like the OP on this one. Not much else out there giving me glossy eyes.

ArChWind

Hard Core Member

4/30/12 3:45:54 PM#38

I can understand the frustration but in my mind, the fact it is secure, it is worth it. All important data is on the server and nothing is cached like in D2 so you won't have to worry about ever getting hacked. Your IP is hidden from everyone. I think they are making it secure enough that you will never see duped items.

I think later they will expand this because it just seems that the chat system is to plain. I think we will eventually have a lobby similar to a MMO. :)

palulalula

Novice Member

4/30/12 3:49:31 PM#39
Wau! Uhaahuha! Nice and awesome post like always from same op. Battlefield 3 killed mmo's for me, i don't know what to do! I don't know how to live. Save me, save the planet, save the chickens
  mklinic

Elite Member

4/30/12 3:57:33 PM#40
Originally posted by ArChWind

I can understand the frustration but in my mind, the fact it is secure, it is worth it. All important data is on the server and nothing is cached like in D2 so you won't have to worry about ever getting hacked. Your IP is hidden from everyone. I think they are making it secure enough that you will never see duped items.

I think later they will expand this because it just seems that the chat system is to plain. I think we will eventually have a lobby similar to a MMO. :)

Why would I worry about getting hacked in single-player mode? Unless I was constantly online of course (yes, sarcasm)....Again though, in a single-player world, why do I even care about duped items? Why do I care about any cheating in 'single-player'/offline mode? With PvP not implemented, I'm not fully convinced I care about it in Co-op mode (as I don't have intentions to use RMAH personally). Once PvP is implemented, I imagine it would be a bigger deal for sure.

But still, saying "it is worth it" is purely subjective. If the concern is about duped items and such, then an easy solution is to allow people to 'snap-shot' their character for offline play. This would essentially copy the character and gear and create a character that can only be used for offline play and cannot trade with online toons. This is just one thought that took little-to-no imagination, so if inclined, I'm sure Blizzard could come up with a more elegant solution. All that said, in the scenario IrishChai brought up, regarding laptop users who travel, I fit the description and "always online" is absolutely not worth the perceived gains to me personally. This is why I list it as my only real complaint against the game.

-mklinic

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search