Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,852,124 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,852
SMITE (SMITE)
Hi-Rez Studios | Play Now
MOBA | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/25/14)  | Pub:Hi-Rez Studios
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

SMITE Forum » General Discussion » Big problem

7 posts found
  n3v3rriv3r

Novice Member

OP  6/13/13 2:44:10 PM#1

I know talking about matchmaking is viewed as unproductive and biased I still like to point the elephant in the room - smite still has the worst matchmaking in moba games.

Maybe it is  a population problem but nevertheless you rarely have get a fair match. I played Global Agenda too and the same broken matchmaking algorithm there.

I play also LOL and Dota 2 albeit the matchmaking there it is not perfect it is way better than in Smite.

I will even admit that I feed sometimes in LOL or Dota - in Smite never, you can believe me or not. When I start a game in LOL or Dota I go into the match with enthusiasm and prepared to play good. In contrast when I start the game in Smite the only thing that I worry is how many people will be feeding in my team .It is not a question of if somebody will feed but how many.

I just dont understand how they put people together. I mean, I know that they have a modified TrueSkill system but the word "modified" worries me a lot.

Vexus_X

Novice Member

6/22/13 7:12:01 AM#2

Unfortunately you miss a key point: your own passiveness in that you 'never' feed means you never take risks.  Smite is like other mobas where you need to initiate no matter your role, and escape by a thread.  If you don't practice that, your team will feed, because there is no pressure on the enemy to stop them from ganking.  So your sense of security and ego is leading you down a false path.

In other words, Smite rewards aggression as a fast paced game, and those who play passive and 'never' feed are the ones who have trouble with matchmaking and so on.

One of the best things you can do is be aggressive on a tank, and set up damage and kills for your teammates who may not be so good.  You basically give them the confidence they need to perform at a higher level than their elo placed them on your team.

Now, I don't disagree that there is a matchmaking problem, in that you see the highest ELO teamed with some of the lowest.  They do need to implement rank tiers or some kind of bracket system so this kind of things doesn't happen.

Rhianne

Novice Member

9/20/13 1:48:29 PM#3

Agreed, Smite's matchmaking is horrible. So, when an abusive experienced player starts a new account just so they can farm and obliterate noobs, then gets 35 kills with a kill streak of 20 when the average kill count is 5, you'd think it would take all of 10 minutes of programming to detect and assign this "new" account to more appropriate games!

Unless they don't actually want any new players and would prefer that they let bullies completely alienate anyone that tries.

Rhianne

Novice Member

10/03/13 5:54:23 PM#4

After two weeks of fairly solid play, I now consider Smite's matchmaking system to be seriously flawed rather than horrible. Most of the people in most matches are at about the same level. However, in a clear majority of games (I almost said EVERY game, but I'm trying to be fair), there is always one clear veteran twinker that totally wrecks everyone else. This is someone that obviously has a huge amount of experience in the game and has no business playing against lowbies but started yet another account to do just that because they are selfish, prepubescent cowards.

Sometimes they're on your team, and your team dominates. Sometimes they're on the other team and they dominate. It ends up being a depressing waste of time. I would currently estimate that 2/3 of all games are ruined by somebody that just plain shouldn't be there.

There is a big difference between talented newbies that do well (which is fine) and malicious restarts that go 20 and 0 kills when everyone else gets 5.

DrunkWolf

Hard Core Member

10/04/13 3:18:36 PM#5
Originally posted by Rhianne

After two weeks of fairly solid play, I now consider Smite's matchmaking system to be seriously flawed rather than horrible. Most of the people in most matches are at about the same level. However, in a clear majority of games (I almost said EVERY game, but I'm trying to be fair), there is always one clear veteran twinker that totally wrecks everyone else. This is someone that obviously has a huge amount of experience in the game and has no business playing against lowbies but started yet another account to do just that because they are selfish, prepubescent cowards.

Sometimes they're on your team, and your team dominates. Sometimes they're on the other team and they dominate. It ends up being a depressing waste of time. I would currently estimate that 2/3 of all games are ruined by somebody that just plain shouldn't be there.

There is a big difference between talented newbies that do well (which is fine) and malicious restarts that go 20 and 0 kills when everyone else gets 5.

dont worry the match maker doesnt get better at level 30 either, almost every match i get stuck with at least 2 people who have no idea what they are doing and alot of times im going against pre mades of at least 3 people who just stomp our pub team to death.

its the same fail match maker they used in global agenda, you would think after it sucked so bad in that game they would come up with somthing different, but i guess not.

FlyinDutchman87

Apprentice Member

10/04/13 3:28:44 PM#6

I'm not sure it's really obvious....

I play Dota 2.... ALOT. I played dota 1.... ALOT. I'd say i'm a slightly above average player though but I'm still pretty inconsistant.

One game I might go 28-1. The next.... 0-13.

I've been called the "best player I've ever seen" and "A dumb noob who needs to uninstall" in back-to-back games.

Some games you've just got it. Some games you can't do ANYTHING. How EXACTLY do you balance that?

putting an "ELO" stamp on a player is nearly impossible.

Rhianne

Novice Member

10/06/13 6:49:37 PM#7
Originally posted by FlyinDutchman87

I'm not sure it's really obvious....

I play Dota 2.... ALOT. I played dota 1.... ALOT. I'd say i'm a slightly above average player though but I'm still pretty inconsistant.

One game I might go 28-1. The next.... 0-13.

I've been called the "best player I've ever seen" and "A dumb noob who needs to uninstall" in back-to-back games.

Some games you've just got it. Some games you can't do ANYTHING. How EXACTLY do you balance that?

putting an "ELO" stamp on a player is nearly impossible.

Dutchman, this conversation is not about people that play a lot. Just the opposite. It's about lowbies just trying to get into the game that get FIVE kills, not 28. Please pay attention.

And yes: when everyone else averages 5 kills and one person gets 28, then yeah. I DO think you can programmatically identify that and keep it from happening over and over again.

If you have 40 point kill swings in your games, that's great. That aberration would be harder to label. But you aren't under level 10, are you?