Trending Games | Landmark | Camelot Unchained | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,575 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,962
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » What this game needs.. Is AA

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
26 posts found
  Avarix

Hard Core Member

3/27/13 6:08:16 PM#21
Originally posted by HorrorScope
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
Originally posted by JasonJ
Originally posted by JasonJ

They have already spoken about how the skill trees will be expanded in the future as the level cap increases.

At level 39 the Wizard has skills that are very different from each other.

I used CC during large fights with bosses and adds to slow the boss down and froze the most powerful adds in place so the healer could keep the tank up.

In fights with several elites I would straight DPS one while slowing it to keep the damage lower on the tank by kiting an elite.

in garbage fights I would use my AOE skills to help kill faster.

If they would just add hotbar swapping you will be able to have all your different builds available with the push of a button, until then, its just a matter of quickly swapping out the skils on your hotbar for the fights.

So what theybsay is that i can progress my character once every 2 years, thats not what people want

Sure dont see anything in there about a timeframe...and seeing as how SWTOR and GW2 both expanded character trees in about 6 months time...either way, dont speak for anyone other than yourself. I play D&D for stories, quests and grouping, nothing else. And seeing as how that is what D&D is based on, they seem to be hitting their target audience.

Well, from my experience 95% of all DnD players are min maxers.... guess what that means, they want their characters to progress... 

And what does min/max'er mean? That a player is making a concious effort to make their character as strong as possible. Which is pretty much the point in nearly all cases, or 95% of them. People, not you, say it like it's a bad thing, it's a freakin natural thing to do and expect.

I always see min/max as pretty extreme. I would like my character to be pretty buff in most games but not to the exception of everything else. I see them as sacrificing fun, looks, and a major amount of time for a 1% increase in DPS. Min/max has become a dirty word to me playing with people like that in games over the years.

Also, my last post was sarcasm in case anyone missed it. I have no clue what the actual percentage of people that like to min/max in DnD is, but neither do you so don't act like you do.

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

OP  3/28/13 1:46:49 AM#22
Originally posted by Alber_gamer
Originally posted by Storman1977

Originally posted by Cirin

Originally posted by Storman1977 So, there is no multi-classing? Hard to call it D&D with no multi-classing
You obviously never played 4e....where multiclassing just meant wasting a feat.

You're right. Flipped through the DM's Guide when it first hit market. Realized it was shit and proceeded to pick up more 3.5 modules.

I love it how all these DnD savy wannabes mention that it's hard to call it DnD without multiclassing, when the real original DnD didn't allow any multiclassing at all. Advanced DnD introduced Dual-Classes with very limited options and heavy penalties, and it's 3rd, and later 3.5 that bastardized it making the rules into a minmaxer heaven. 4th Ed actually puts some reins to it, which was a necessary change.

Well, i eveolved from AD&D 2nd edition to 3 and 3.5, and thats where we are happily stuck now.. 

4th edition is a totally different game, that us PnP oldies dont like much, because it takes away (in my opinion) so much of the freedom.

But then i have allways said, you cant use things like D20 to create a PC game, but its finally time that PC players get to taste some more freedom in creating the characters they want, and not the characters that the game developers pre created.

game developers worry about ballance to much and forget about the fun..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Alber_gamer

Advanced Member

3/28/13 6:17:22 AM#23

It's true that 4th Edition hasn't been very welcome amongst the more hardcore players, but I assure you that when AD&D changed to 3rd it was the same. In the end, we all adapted because the changes opened the game up for a larger crowd, made them more simple, and thus easier to learn and get involved for people that weren't into DnD before. It's the exact same transition from AD&D to 3rd as it's from 3.5 to 4th. Oversimplifying rules to open the game to more people.

Now if in NWO there's no multiclassing, so be it. It doesn't mean I like it more or less, I'm just saying that it doesn't make it more or less DnD, since originally DnD didn't have any multiclassing to start with.

If anyone needs to excuse themselves for not playing the game that's fine too, but saying "it's not DnD" is not the excuse they're looking for. DnD has always been about the storytelling. The character builds, the save throws or the THAC0 are just tools that change over time.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Dreamo84

Defender of Worlds

I actually still like MMORPGs

3/28/13 8:53:46 AM#24
99% of DND based statistics are made up 87.5% with an accuracy rate of 98.99%.

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

OP  3/28/13 3:57:21 PM#25

It's true that 4th Edition hasn't been very welcome amongst the more hardcore players, but I assure you that when AD&D changed to 3rd it was the same. In the end, we all adapted because the changes opened the game up for a larger crowd, made them more simple, and thus easier to learn and get involved for people that weren't into DnD before. It's the exact same transition from AD&D to 3rd as it's from 3.5 to 4th. Oversimplifying rules to open the game to more people.

Now if in NWO there's no multiclassing, so be it. It doesn't mean I like it more or less, I'm just saying that it doesn't make it more or less DnD, since originally DnD didn't have any multiclassing to start with.

If anyone needs to excuse themselves for not playing the game that's fine too, but saying "it's not DnD" is not the excuse they're looking for. DnD has always been about the storytelling. The character builds, the save throws or the THAC0 are just tools that change over time.

I dont know, as a 2.0 player, i quickly saw the advantages of the 3.0 rules.. and the multi classing it allowed.  Sadly it took me ages to lay my hands on some good 3.0 psionics rules.

Anyway, from what i read, 4.0 is a step backwards in freedom, but a step forward in comprehendebillitly

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Squeak69

Apprentice Member

cheese cheese wheres da bloody cheese

3/28/13 4:05:19 PM#26
Originally posted by Storman1977

Originally posted by Cirin

Originally posted by Storman1977 So, there is no multi-classing? Hard to call it D&D with no multi-classing
You obviously never played 4e....where multiclassing just meant wasting a feat.

You're right. Flipped through the DM's Guide when it first hit market. Realized it was shit and proceeded to pick up more 3.5 modules.

I love it how all these DnD savy wannabes mention that it's hard to call it DnD without multiclassing, when the real original DnD didn't allow any multiclassing at all. Advanced DnD introduced Dual-Classes with very limited options and heavy penalties, and it's 3rd, and later 3.5 that bastardized it making the rules into a minmaxer heaven. 4th Ed actually puts some reins to it, which was a necessary change.

Well, i eveolved from AD&D 2nd edition to 3 and 3.5, and thats where we are happily stuck now.. 

4th edition is a totally different game, that us PnP oldies dont like much, because it takes away (in my opinion) so much of the freedom.

But then i have allways said, you cant use things like D20 to create a PC game, but its finally time that PC players get to taste some more freedom in creating the characters they want, and not the characters that the game developers pre created.

game developers worry about ballance to much and forget about the fun..

this is why no matter what they call 5th edidition to a person like me it will always be known as D&D the apolagy.

to be honest i still mainly use my 3.5 stuff and prob wont ever go to anything else, i do on occasion use my AD&D, rifts, and some pathfinder stuff. but 3.5 works well and i see no reason to change

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used to
Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search