Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Star Wars: The Old Republic | EverQuest | Pirate101

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,901,240 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,271,702
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » Casting your votes... Beta 3

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
62 posts found
  Morgaren

Apprentice Member

For me, the gates will open.

3/25/13 12:15:41 PM#41

gave it a 4, I saw too much of cryptics over rushed low end product in it. Nothing grabbed me and sucked me in. I didn't play that long because of it. I am sure if you enjoy it more opens up, but for me there was nothing.

I wanted to try it really bad but like the did with champions and STO it just feels half assed, either that or a C student really gave it their all.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

3/25/13 1:32:09 PM#42

I rated it a 7, but would probably give it a 7.5 if that were an option.

Immersion / World Feel:  9/10 - Neverwinter and Protector's Enclave specificially I feel are really well done as cities go.  The environment felt realistic to me in many ways.  I love how there are wandering patrols and sometimes multiple patrols crossing paths.

Character Creation / Animations: 5/10 - This still needs some polish to compare with CO and STO, but it's improving.  Also some of the character animations and poses are silly or unattractive.  The weapons also look too big (eg: clerics symbol) and they all look the same.

Quests: 8/10 - There are some fun quest lines with interesting story twists.  Overall between the foundry quests and the overland story quests, I enjoy the questing system.

UI: 6/10 - The UI still needs some polish.  Not every element is easy or intuitive to interact with.  It's not bad, just clunky.  I find the UI in STO to be clunky as well.  This is an improvement on that, but not by much.

Combat: 7/10 - This is so very subjective.  It's not so much the rooting that bugs me but how the rooting feels.  It lacks a fluid feeling I get with GW2, TSW, or Tera.  Tera has some pretty hard rooting to it, but it still feels fluid.  There needs to be more time to react and passively dodge telegraphed attacks.

Foundry: 9/10

PvP: 6/10 - For battleground pvp it's not bad.  It would have been more interesting to me if they would have made bar room brawls where it was a ffa join in or gladiatorial arenas where people could watch.  They could make the pvp feel like more a part of the world while still keeping participation totally optional.

Overall Gameplay: 7.5/10 - Overall the game comes together as a 7.5 / 10 for me.  It has a lot of potential.  The systems could blend a bit better and when that happens I think the play will feel better.  The AD and Zen prices are way too high for some items in my opinion (companions that are character only for example are expensive).  The group matching tool could be improved.  Class balance still needs some tweaking.  The community seems very segrated from each other based on preconceived expectations about what they want the game to be and how we should all play it.  That sort of detracts from my enjoyment to an extent.  You can tell that they're using the Cryptic engine (or some modified version) as some systems feel very similar to STO.  I like STO a lot so that's not a bad thing for me.

In all I plan on playing with my wife and son mostly.  This game will be excellent for that.

Curse you AquaScum!

Metanol

Advanced Member

3/25/13 1:45:57 PM#43

I've played Neverwinter in two beta weekends. I consider myself a hardcore D&D fan, thus my opinion is somewhat biased.

I think this Neverwinter MMO is a disgrace to both Forgotten Realms and the very name "Neverwinterr", which I have always loved -so-. Then again, the death of Forgotten Realms was pretty much the Fourth Edition for many of us old fans.

But! As an Action MMORPG, this new Neverwinter game is quite good and there is great hope with Foundry, but I have a feeling that it is a bit too restricted. I doubt we can have actual choises in the storylines etc. Of course I am going with just speculation, since I haven't got to try the Foundry out or played any of the Foundry quests.

If this was named "another generic fantasy MMO, but this time with ARPG gameplay" I would rate it higher. It's good at what it does mechanics wise, but that's where it comes down. The graphics I can live with, the horrible quests and "immersion" not. Derp, gather arrows from a battlefield, bring them to archers, they fire one salvo and nothing happens. Oh, because everyone did that a thousand times. Please, give me the benefit of illusion through instancing it just for me and having something actually go down.

I believe I will try the game a few months after it's release, but the more I read about it, the sadder it is. It could have been -so- much more. So different. So deep. Yet all we are given is this bastard D&D child.

Because whenever I think about D&D, I kind of... think about freedom of creation. None of this restricted armors and locked in classes crap. I'm a lover of 3.5e. I want multiclassing, I want feats, skills and all what comes along with the rules. I want melee wizards who grope you to death, I want clerics fighting with greatswords and I want bards in all their bardiness awesomeness. I want freedom of choise in spells, with all the old hardcore control spells (Sleep, hold, daze...)

Wait? I forgot to give it a score? Lets say 4 to 6.

We´re all dead, just say it.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

3/25/13 1:51:09 PM#44
Originally posted by Metanol

If this was named "another generic fantasy MMO, but this time with ARPG gameplay" I would rate it higher. It's good at what it does mechanics wise, but that's where it comes down. The graphics I can live with, the horrible quests and "immersion" not. Derp, gather arrows from a battlefield, bring them to archers, they fire one salvo and nothing happens. Oh, because everyone did that a thousand times. Please, give me the benefit of illusion through instancing it just for me and having something actually go down.

That is a bad intro quest, but most are not like that at all.  It's not fair or accurate to characterize the entire quest library based on that example.  Some of the quests are short, shallow, and lackluster.  Many are rather interesting.

I can't believe you used that example though when the entire intro quest line, starting shipwrecked on the beach, has been done so many times it plays like "It was a dark and stormy night".

Curse you AquaScum!

Smintar

Novice Member

3/25/13 2:16:03 PM#45
I gave it a 4,Im not going into alot of detail as to why but simply say I am not Impressed! took it off my Hard Drive.
  knightaudit

Apprentice Member

Those are my thoughts, not yours

3/25/13 2:31:17 PM#46

I would give this a 7. i was not a huge fan of the combat gameplay but there are other highpoints.

I like the setting, the cities are well done, the feeling of narrow streets and alleyways is great. the cluttered markets, perfect. the lore is done very well and brings you into the game well.

I think the colour palate they used is a bit muted overall and could use a bit more brightness. i saddly did not get to try the foundy (the part I really want to see) but I think this is a game I could really get to like ... but then I am an OLD SCHOOL D&D person.

Metanol

Advanced Member

3/25/13 2:35:30 PM#47
Originally posted by Torvaldr

That is a bad intro quest, but most are not like that at all.  It's not fair or accurate to characterize the entire quest library based on that example.  Some of the quests are short, shallow, and lackluster.  Many are rather interesting.

I can't believe you used that example though when the entire intro quest line, starting shipwrecked on the beach, has been done so many times it plays like "It was a dark and stormy night".

I got to level 15 on Devoted Cleric and 7 on Great Weapon Fighter.

Using the intro quest as an example was one what I made knowingly (SP? Engrish?)

Sadly, I couldn't find a single interesting or thought-provoking quest. There were like one or two good feeling dungeons what I played through in the entire time, and that was about it.

PS. I am not here to be fair when it comes to games. \o

Originally posted by knightaudit

I like the setting, the cities are well done, the feeling of narrow streets and alleyways is great. the cluttered markets, perfect. the lore is done very well and brings you into the game well.

Cities are well done? Go stand in the auction house next to the market. There's a 10 meters view distance, from where commoners constantly appear, walk by you and disappear 10 meters the other way. It's like you're in some effing ghost city, watching shadows pass by. Thousands of them.

Also, I will hold to my previous post concerning the setting. Forgotten Realms was really torn apart (see what I did there?) with Fourth Edition.

But again, as a generic fantasy city? Despite all these hindrances, the city actually felt pretty nice, or at least the "peaceful" district did.

We´re all dead, just say it.

User Deleted
3/25/13 2:38:47 PM#48

Very limited classes, even up to 50. Feat builds rarely define your character, but prevent using all your powers. Everything is on rails. Great for a game designer who is attempting to keep things balanced, but not so great on the fun factor.

Environments and quests are extremely well-made, definitely in the spirit of D&D and also fun as an MMO setting with good lore references. Foundry content is even better, as the authors who have made quests so far really went above and beyond to make some very fun adventures.

Items are limited by class, even though they are the exact same item stastisically, for another fighter/caster. Statistics make little to no difference as you level, and "choice" is defined as which 4 of 6 powers you place on your power bar. 

Clerics not being able to heal themselves due to a "perk" introduced this weekend (which reduces all self-healing by 75%) shows how heavy-handed class balance will be. It's a terrible solution, and the really bad thing? Trickster Rogue and Devout cleric were the two funnest classes as stated by players through the last beta weekends. They're not bringing all the classes up to "fun", but getting rid of key class features which made the cleric fun to play. Some stated "cleric was OP", but not that many. And it really wasn't; it was well-balanced with the rogue.

Control Wizard was drastically improved, but the mechanics of frost/arcane stacks need a rework to synergize. Your powers either chill targets or build stacks of arcane on yourself, but no powers actually benefit from stacks of either one. It's a bad model which focuses you on arcane powers or frost powers, and limit your use of both.

Character creation and companion appearances offer less options than any of Cryptic's previous titles. VERY limited editing, no "stances", animations are glitchy or downright look bad.

Combat overall is very enjoyable, and has a great synamic and pace for all classes. As an action RPG, they did it pretty well. Less "rooting" because of animation time would be welcome, as it gets you killed sometimes, but overall, the "feel" of combat is right for an ARPG.

Dependnce upon consumables is, however, the defining trait which makes this game tedious. Potion chugging more frequently than even D3 await, even to level 42, and various bugs with ID scrolls and the number of un-IDed items you get are a pain to deal with. 

Draemos

Advanced Member

3/25/13 2:43:50 PM#49
Originally posted by Xiaoki

Currently 6/10. Dont know how end game is yet, could be better or worse.

Pretty much every single aspect of Neverwinter is good or flawed but not great. So, your typical Cryptic game.

graphics - nice world graphics and some good monsters but the player character models are terrible. Armor was getting good at around level 30 but everything up to that point was terrible.

combat - functional but it didnt feel as good as Tera's combat. Aldo, putting GW2s dodge bar in didnt help at all.

lore - after reading the Forgotten Realms books that pertain to Neverwinter the lore of the game is a mixed bag. If you completely ignore the books that the game is supposed to be based on then its alright, if you take the books into consideration its bad.

Biggest complaint is that nearly everything is tied to Astral Diamonds. Even Runes of Magic wasnt this bad. Auction House is Diamonds only. Mounts = Diamonds. Companions = Diamonds. Dyes = Diamonds.
Yeah, you get Diamonds by doing that pray thing omce and hour but its a small amount and everything costs a lot of Diamonds.
Also, I do realise that it is Free to play and people buying Diamonds will be their main source of income but to gate so much of the game behind a pay wall so early may frustrate a lot of players, making them feel that they wont be able to do anything if they dont pay and pay through the nose.

PS - just pointing out that everyone lost their mind over the real money Auction House in Diablo 3 and no one says anything about Neverwinter's Auction House being Diamonds only. That Free to play effect I guess.

If diamond are anything like dilithium in STO(and they are exactly like dilithium), you'll earn diamonds for all types of stuff.  Your real problem will actually be refining those diamonds into a useable currency. Since you can only refine so many a day.  It's a gating function so that if you want stuff quickly, you either need to grind up a ton of alts to feed one character... Or you need to exchange Zen(real money currency) for diamonds at a player set exchange rate (determined by supply/demand)

neveser

Novice Member

3/25/13 2:51:30 PM#50

Solid 4.

It's cryptic. If they really worked on it, could be a 6. No more.

It is free so I really don't expect much.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

newchemicals

Novice Member

3/26/13 4:13:59 AM#51
I gave the game a 4. I hope they make changes to the overly used keyboard UI, its too "keyboard focused" for my tastes.
  azzamasin

Elite Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

3/26/13 4:20:33 AM#52

7/10 for me but thats because I never got a chance to test what is possible with the Foundry.  If it is as robust as they say it is its quite possible to jump up to a 9/10. 

Its not a very indepth MMO and it doesnt offer alot of systems I would want out an MMO but what it does do it does very well and eveyr class I played (all 5 of them) to at least level 20 has me in a pickle what I want to play first.  I may tire of its simplicity after a few months but what MMO released in the last 8 years claims to offer any replayability.  With the Foundry all that could change it's quite possible that I may spend the majority of my time actually designing content rather then playing the actual game long after I have grown tired of the simplicity of it.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Zooce

Novice Member

3/26/13 5:37:08 AM#53

6/10

Rogue was good fun; then playing guardian to level 4 lost my interest.

Running around to loot gold that scatters became annoying very fast.  Maybe they will add "gold pickup radius" to the cash shop.

Not gaining exp for killing individual monsters is another turn-off for me.  I like having the option to mindlessly grind.

Voice acting was a good try, but I found myself ignoring the quest dialogue because Neverwinter just didn't draw me in.

Overall, Neverwinter lacked the D&D feel I was expecting.  Turbine's DDO was a superior experience.

Foundry offered a glimmer of hope, but Cryptic needs to ask themselves "how can we make every other class as fun to play as Trickster Rogue?"

Doogiehowser

Apprentice Member

3/26/13 5:39:38 AM#54

8/10

Best dungeon crawler i have played in a long time.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

Alber_gamer

Apprentice Member

3/26/13 6:47:51 AM#55

9/10

Two words: The Foundry.

The game's mechanics are acceptable, and one could get used to them. The graphics are beautiful and set the right atmosphere. The money of this game is in the Foundry. Just give us the tools to make something great, and we will. The game industry has long needed a game like NWO.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Hendal316

Novice Member

3/26/13 2:42:15 PM#56
I enjoyed playing in beta 3 ! Lots of things need addressing,but on the whole its a great game to play :) I am looking forward to getting stuck in on release
  Liaso

Novice Member

3/26/13 3:55:44 PM#57

7/10

The expirience was very nice. Mostly the game run smooth and without much trouble.

Gameplay itself i find not bad but not with a WHOW thats new factor.

Its a good intertaining game based on Neverwinter. I find its very simular to neverwinter nights but a bit updated.

Liaso

Gormogon

Hard Core Member

3/26/13 6:00:08 PM#58

I didn't get to play nearly as much as I wanted this weekend, but I'd put my experience at about a 7 out of 10.

I like the Forgotten Realms quite a bit, and to me that is a huge positive for this game, but the story and hook are really not good IMO.  I realize Cryptic is not Bioware, Bethesda, or Obsidian, but it was bad enough to be an actual turn off to me.

Graphically, I was actually switching between this game and GW2 at one point to see what people were complaining about.  I run both games maxed out on a 6950.  Neverwinter's color palette is not as easy on the eyes, but the level of detail in the environment is actually pretty close in both games.  Neverwinter has the previously stated issues with unattractive character models, but they  weren't a distraction for me.  Where the game is lacking visually is in the vegetation and rocks strewn about in outdoor areas, and the lighting and lack of depth conveyed by the indoor textures IMO.  Overall the environments themselves were really pretty good, though IMO. 

Combat is going to have the unavoidable comparisons to TERA for those who have played the latter.  For me, TERA's combat is significantly more intuitive, flows so much better, and has a collection of enemies with abilities that make them stand out a lot better.  I'm also not a big fan of 4e, and while it's not necessarily more restrictive than a lot of MMOs, character building does feel restrictive compared to how I think DnD should be played.  That said, I didn't dislike the combat in Neverwinter, and while the game starts off feeling like every character of the same class will be the same, when you get far enough along, opportunities for creating your own playstyle open up quite a bit.

Where the game excels IMO is in providing different ways/reasons to play the game and making them extremely accessible.  In that sense, I think the game does/will accomplish some of the significant things it was meant to do.  The Foundry itself could keep the game going for a long time.  It's not a game I'm going to spend 1000 hours playing every year, but this weekend convinced me to level a character so I can jump in and play some fan-made content every once in awhile.

Eir_S

Apprentice Member

GW2 socialist.

3/26/13 6:08:28 PM#59
8/10 for me.  Best F2P I've played yet that wasn't P2P at one time.  It's simple to learn, the graphics are decent for the most part, voices are pretty bad, and it doesn't try to be something grandiose, it's a multiplayer 3D dungeon crawler that I can play with my friend, who loves it despite hating most MMOs since WoW. 
  HorrorScope

Novice Member

3/26/13 6:53:54 PM#60
Originally posted by Aerowyn

7/10 for me

My main issues are combat is amazing on the rogue, but all other classes I didn't care much for.

Sounds like Dragon Age 2.

I gave it a 5 as it stands. It will only go up, being a mmo and giving it time it can still go plenty far up. We'll see how it gets balanced out and then supported.

It isn't ready to be released as it sat BW3. Agro and Healing at the very least are messed up.  Fix those and the chest loot issue and there is 2 solid points for sure.

Foundry, until I play something that is really good, then I'll start adding points for that.

I can only think some scores I see here just assumes all the above, well I've lived a little.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search