Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Wasteland 2 | Destiny

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,858,464 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,243,749
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » Neverwinter Impression

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
84 posts found
  sofbert

Novice Member

3/24/13 11:14:57 AM#41
Originally posted by Elikal

Also it's unfair. Clerics can self heal, Rogues can avoid most damage with the Dummy and other stuff, but Guardian... phew trying to block away dmg was such a hassle, I simply failed at it, so I lost dmg like crazy and spent essentially ALL money on potions. So not funny. Similar with Wizard. And GWF too, if I slash this sword, I get dmg. No way to avoid it. And the rooted thing makes it ten times as hard to avoid damage.

Yeah i've been playing Guardian as well and while the look of the character is decent, I've run a few dungeons and the threat system is pretty horrible so far. I changed over to all the taunt abilities I had and i'm lucky if I have a boss chasing me for 20% of the time which leaves me feeling useless as a tank. 

Also, with guarding/blocking having that stamina bar which runs out fairly fast and no means of mitigation when it's out(not evne dodging) really makes me feel useless as I just take hits. 

tokini

Apprentice Member

3/24/13 6:31:30 PM#42
Originally posted by fiontar

My guess is that the (playable) content creation is Cryptic, but the engine, animations, character models, etc... come straight from the people who develop PWEs B-list F2P MMOs. I wouldn't say any of Cryptic's previous games have been cutting edge, to me they have all looked and felt a generation or so behind the competition, but Neverwinter really looks and feels like an MMO that might have been produced 6 - 8 years ago. (Actually, on the technical side, it reminds me most of a slightly updated Horizons).

this game is 100% cryptic. please remember this game was in develpoment for years as an online co-op, not really an mmo. once PW bought cryptic they made them re-work it into a 'full fledged mmo'

it just feels a Cryptic game, the character movement, tha overall clunkiness. this is not to say its the worst game ever made, but Cryptic for whatever reasons has a habit of coming up short and never really delivering on the potential of their games.

im sure i also read at one point that Cryptic (atari at the time?) bragged how with the engine they use, they could churn out mmo-type games at 18 month intervals. thats most likely a major reason PW aquired them.

Skaioverride

Advanced Member

3/24/13 6:56:34 PM#43

you totally missed the point of this game, its a D&D game, and as a D&D player myself and long time gamer since youth, i love that the game has that old school arcady feel, they don't make games like that anymore. what you're proposing is that they make the game just like the rest, with the same systems, same mechanics and what have you. 

this game really makes me feel like im playing something different that the rest of the thousands of similar MMORPGs that have been released over the years. just when i was about to give up on MMOs all together due to lack of innovation.

Skaioverride

Advanced Member

3/24/13 7:05:24 PM#44

needalife214

Apprentice Member

Big Bang happened. And life happened. Then you trolls somehow got here?

3/24/13 7:12:03 PM#45
Originally posted by skaioverride

you totally missed the point of this game, its a D&D game, and as a D&D player myself and long time gamer since youth, i love that the game has that old school arcady feel, they don't make games like that anymore. what you're proposing is that they make the game just like the rest, with the same systems, same mechanics and what have you. 

this game really makes me feel like im playing something different that the rest of the thousands of similar MMORPGs that have been released over the years. just when i was about to give up on MMOs all together due to lack of innovation.

THIS....ALL OF THIS.

As an avid pathfinder player ( i honestly havent touched 4e D&D) this game just feels right..every bit of me was ready to nitpick it apart and blame PW for all its troubles. But Honestly if the foundry is even half good there are some really talented people who could make some awesome experience for players.

I am in love with my Control wizard. Honestly I solo'd till about lvl ten then i wait for my friends to catch up we ran together and a Wizard Guardian Fighter and Cleric, and aside from some drop rates (looking at you many-arrows orcs) the game felt awesome and it felt like a part experience. 

The animations are truly awesome, in my opinion, for what the game lacks in texture definition its add in character. I am level 15 and just finished the clock tower skirmish. there had yet been a reused texture in all the instance i have been through...compare that to games like dragon age 2 or even some early areas in WoW or War, 

The classes all seem pretty unique and there are more to come (hint : just look on the fourms about the auction house class search) yeah the whole feat thing is nothing speical, which brings me to my next and final point for this post.

The game is not trying to be cutting edge graphic wise, it is not trying to be a dynamic living world, it is not trying to be the next WoW, it is offering a Dungeon and Dragons experience in a virtual world, (for free)(and yeah I know PW and" free "is not really hand and hand) 

and honestly it works, it does what it set out to do, playing with my two rl friends and talking about the world as we see it, finding all the neat lore unlocks (akin to Tome of Knowledge, but not as indepth) talking about bosses and just watching as we all played together was a truly great experience. An experince that I hope to have again when the game launches.

sure if anyone can mess this up its PWE but hey, everything should be taken witha  gain of salt, and given a chance.

Skaioverride

Advanced Member

3/24/13 7:30:06 PM#46
Thank you,  and let me say the foundry has tons of potential. Like Cryptic's other unorthodox MMO Star Trek Online, which has the same foundry feature, it has virtually unlimited player made content that serves well after end game, and also since every creator has his own style and creativity it adds variety to the missions and also could potentially inject original lore in to the game.
  nightfallrob

Novice Member

3/25/13 12:23:58 AM#47
Wow, I don't know how you found the game play difficult. I thought it was mind-numbingly easy. I hated the rooted combat, but it was easy to time the big hits for the big enemies and use the small stuff on the trash. Part of why I didn't like the game was that it wasn't hard enough, and normally I prefer casual play in an MMO.
  Shol

Novice Member

3/25/13 8:48:10 AM#48

Its a mediocre game with average graphic. Not too bad, but not good either.

I played a cleric till 25 and you really want to avoid this class if you look for a healer. Its lame range damage dealer with bad support and laughable healing ability.  Couple this with a broken target system for partymembers and yeah... forget it and get one of the npc instead.

Margrave

Advanced Member

3/25/13 9:19:50 AM#49

I loved my time in Neverwinter. I think it's a great game! As an old D&D player, and Fogotten Realms at that, I think this is awesome! It takes some getting use to at times.

I do kind of wish there was an AoE loot option for the F key looting.

The standing still for using abilities is a little annoying, but not a game breaker at all. All games use to do this. You had to be still to cast.

This weekend had bunches of new people for the stress test, and some of them got on my nerves. Thank God for the ignore feature! If you don't like a game then log off. It's simple. If you come into game A and do nothing but complain while talking about game B it looks like you work for game B to me. Otherwise why would you waste your time? I figure you are there as advertisement and nothing more. Your opinion is instantly meaningless to me then.

I also think a lot of people want that same rush they had from their first mmorpg experience. Similar to the first hit of a drug that same high can never be obtained again. Each mmorpg title needs to be looked at as its own being. It would be like talking with Bob while wishing he was Jim. Jim's across the room, and you could just go talk with him, but instead you keep talking to Bob while complaining to him that he's not Jim.....

Skaioverride

Advanced Member

3/25/13 9:19:51 AM#50
Originally posted by Shol

I played a cleric till 25 and you really want to avoid this class if you look for a healer. Its lame range damage dealer with bad support and laughable healing ability.  Couple this with a broken target system for partymembers and yeah... forget it and get one of the npc instead.

I played a cleric til lv 22 and soloed dungeons a few levels above me with no problems, also with a party and in even played PVP just fine, without any of the issues you just mentioned. Maybe you never lerned to use it. 

You can't come it to this game and expect it to perform just like every other MMO before it. Also keep in mind Neverwinter is based on a (single player) RPG, not to mention the dungeon crawling aspects of D&D it self. So for what the game seemed to be aiming for, which is an old school multiplayer dungeon crawler based on D&D 4th eddition and set in Abeir Toril lore, i think they nailed it. 

And if you dont like it, there's always WoW...

Shol

Novice Member

3/25/13 4:00:57 PM#51
Originally posted by Skaioverride

I played a cleric til lv 22 and soloed dungeons a few levels above me with no problems, also with a party and in even played PVP just fine, without any of the issues you just mentioned. Maybe you never lerned to use it. 

You can't come it to this game and expect it to perform just like every other MMO before it. Also keep in mind Neverwinter is based on a (single player) RPG, not to mention the dungeon crawling aspects of D&D it self. So for what the game seemed to be aiming for, which is an old school multiplayer dungeon crawler based on D&D 4th eddition and set in Abeir Toril lore, i think they nailed it. 

Until lv 22 there was exactly 1  dungeon, 2 or 3 skirmishes and I kinda doubt that you soloed that. Or do you really want to tell me that soloing the lame missions or whatever is a feat? Any class can do that, its just a matter of spamming pots and a bit movement + npc healer.

Comparing NWN Online with D&D is just an insult. Maybe you should go and play some really old school rpg (even better pen & paper) to know what D&D acutally means. The 4th edition is a joke, a pale shadow of its former glory. And thats what NWN Online is.

That doesnt mean its bad, its just average in every possible way and in the cleric case the half baked copy of "true action combat"  breaks a lot.

Ryukan

Novice Member

3/25/13 4:53:00 PM#52

Started in BWE #2 and my impression was, "Eh, decent for a F2P game." In BWE #3 my feeling was a general and resounding "Meh". Played to lvl 35 with the Cleric and played a GWF into the 20's, dabbled in the other classes...the game was starting to get boring and repeitious halfway through BWE #3. The biggest selling point to me is that it is F2P from the getgo, I just don't feel like investing much, if any, money in it. I do appreciate the fact that it is essentially fully F2P-able all the way through, but the Astral Diamond and Zen store prices are pretty steep.

Arnoagns

Advanced Member

3/25/13 5:23:20 PM#53

It seems you're reaching when one of your complaints is that it's"so yesterday". Unless you are, in fact, the flamboyant fashion critique-journalist you made yourself out to be.

Potion systems with no health regen are a valid feature - It's not shiny, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. Not all of us are so picky about newness.

GGrimm

Novice Member

3/25/13 7:13:33 PM#54

I'm an old school pen-and-paper MMO'er and tend to favor sandbox / open world games, but got a chance to try the open beta this weekend and found it well... FUN.

Don't get me wrong, there was stuff about the game that I didn't enjoy much, but the core stuff was pretty fun. I played the Great Weapon Fighter (GWF) to level 24 and the Control Wizard to level 12 and enjoyed them both. Unlike some people, I didn't find fights that difficult and the main challenge running content was in trying to go through one of the "boss" fights without using any potions at all on my GWF. Most of the time I had to use 1 potion and had to use my "special" skill during the battle. I never bought a potion and had about 70 extras before the weekend was over.

Playing the GWF in PvP at lower levels could be a bit frustrating at times. I could never successfully solo a Trickster Thief because I would get skill locked and then insta-dpsed to low health or death. But as my level and health went up, it took longer to get killed and I gained some skills that allowed me to jump into or out of combat range quickly. That allowed me to put together some pretty good high-dps combonations and be fairly effective in my team group. All-in-all it was fairly enjoyable for what it was.

The thing I was and still am most excited about is the Foundry. I played through just a few of the content pieces made by other players and was impressed at the creativity. I don't recall the name of the scenario, but there was an incredibly clever one that I ran through where you start off playing a game of cards and end up on one of the planes of Hell. It all made sense within the storyline and actually reminded me of the kind of crazy AD&D campaigns you could get going back in my pen-and-paper days.

I honestly think Player Generated Content (PGC) + large open world/themepark enviornments will be next big thing in MMOs. It really bummed me out that the Neverwinter world was so instanced and small-feeling. Whatever developer figures out how to cleverly hook PGC into a huge, seamless MMO world is going to have some good success.

vonryan123

Novice Member

3/25/13 7:23:25 PM#55

It's kinda funny the way you put "combat breaks it for me" and then "the potion system just break it *for me*"

seems like you dont really know what you want and have to many easy mode ideals. Granted the game is not the New "wow" but my god people could you QQ, more about such little stuff as a potion system or god forbid you have a combat system that has rooting in it ....get over it.....its part of the game mechanics just like so many other games that have game mechanics we have to work with and/or around. W/e happened to taking a game at face value and running with it ...ohh yea i remember now a generation full of mine mine mine mememememememe faster faster faster.......

Skaioverride

Advanced Member

3/25/13 8:00:40 PM#56

Until lv 22 there was exactly 1  dungeon, 2 or 3 skirmishes and I kinda doubt that you soloed that. Or do you really want to tell me that soloing the lame missions or whatever is a feat? Any class can do that, its just a matter of spamming pots and a bit movement + npc healer.

Comparing NWN Online with D&D is just an insult. Maybe you should go and play some really old school rpg (even better pen & paper) to know what D&D acutally means. The 4th edition is a joke, a pale shadow of its former glory. And thats what NWN Online is.

That doesnt mean its bad, its just average in every possible way and in the cleric case the half baked copy of "true action combat"  breaks a lot.

Well i did solo it and died a few times, and the skirmishes were a bit tough with a party and all. I had the Man At Arms companion or what ever its called, but still the cleric had way too much agro. I'm just saying i did not have any of the issues that you stated. and those that i did encounter are easilly overlooked considering it still being just a beta test. If this where the state of the game a month after release then it would be a problem, otherwise, i cant wait.

Anyways, I've played my fair share of D&D 3.5 p&p and other d20 RPGs, and Neverwinter Nights, I've never played 4th edition actually even tho its better suited for this kind of game. 

Given all the problems and bugs here and there among other issues and taking into account that this was still a closed beta theres alot of room for improvement albeit a lot of potential, so far im loving it. 

Xiaoki

Advanced Member

3/26/13 2:33:50 AM#57

Animation lock - in an interview one of the designers of Tera was asked why they had animation lock for the special attacks. He replied that if there was no animation lock then players would be able to circle strafe the mobs with little chance of being hit back.

This is one of the things that a game designer has to consider and(it would seem) very few players do.

The gameplay and combat in Neverwinter was alright but it didnt feel as good as Tera's.

Im a big fan of Forgotten Realms and the recent Neverwinter novels but I dont really see myself playing this long term.

Shol

Novice Member

3/26/13 5:13:08 AM#58

Well i did solo it and died a few times, and the skirmishes were a bit tough with a party and all. I had the Man At Arms companion or what ever its called, but still the cleric had way too much agro. I'm just saying i did not have any of the issues that you stated. and those that i did encounter are easilly overlooked considering it still being just a beta test. If this where the state of the game a month after release then it would be a problem, otherwise, i cant wait.

Anyways, I've played my fair share of D&D 3.5 p&p and other d20 RPGs, and Neverwinter Nights, I've never played 4th edition actually even tho its better suited for this kind of game. 

Given all the problems and bugs here and there among other issues and taking into account that this was still a closed beta theres alot of room for improvement albeit a lot of potential, so far im loving it. 

To enter the lv 15 dungeon I had to queue into some kind of dungeonbrowser and after some minutes we ended in a full party (filled with randoms) in the dungeon. How did you manage to circumvent the browser and enter the dungeon solo?

The aggro was a bug from this beta. Not very important, it will need some more tweaks in some numbers to get it right.

What you played will be the open beta game you will soon play and pay for. Beside some very minor tweaks nothing will be changed. Have fun with the horrible targetting system in parties or do you intend to solo in open beta and beyond too? Makes mmorpgs kinda pointless. I would suggest skyrim if you dont intend to join parties.

I will play Neverwinter a bit, but not with the cleric class. Probably with trickster, as this class was fun to play and worked as it should.

User Deleted
3/26/13 5:21:04 AM#59
Originally posted by Elikal

TL;DR:

Neverwinter has the potential to be good and cool, but IMVPO it needs a lot of work yet and the daring to drop some D&D ideologies and become a more modern MMO. This ain't 1990.

Me thinks that is its strongest points,it didnt feel like scarlets blades,gw2 or swtors etc,it was something different,in a good way.

Alber_gamer

Hard Core Member

3/26/13 6:50:02 AM#60
Once the little bugs and annoyances are fixed, NWO has the sights to become a great game for a long time. As long as people keep trying to make better, more immersing and challenging content through the Foundry. Can't wait to see some people getting familiar and experienced with the dungeon editing tool, because even some of the beta dungeons were already pretty fantastic.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search