Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,438 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,378
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » The great Forgotten realms IP...

6 posts found
  Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

OP  3/23/13 5:19:47 AM#1

I was able to get intoo 3rd beta phase.

What a waste... they removed all good things from D&D and replaced them with generic MMO stuff. No more multi classing, not making use of the great spellsystem and spellnames, not using the good parts that the D&D system brings on the table..

On top of that they ruin the greatest MMO IP of them all, the forgotten realms IP, that i as a P&P DM created so many great intrigueing stories in. To me the forgotten realms is an IP with 1000 shades of grey and not just black and white, there are a million factions that you could get players involved with.  

And what did they deliver, a very bland background story, so typical action RPG based that it could have been placed in any IP. No deep dark intrigues, no sinister plots, no such things at all. On top of that the voice acting is awfull..

having said all of that, the game plays quite well, and Mellee combat is quite fun (ranged combat so far i found boring)  but to me its more like a diablo clone then anything i would consider an MMO or even a true RPG. Good thing is they didn´t stick with the D20 combat rules as they are unfit for an MMO.

So its fun and its free, i would enjoy it as long as it lasts (probably a single beta weekend in my case ) and then move on.

And then i will keep dreaming about that that great MMO that should come from the Forgotten realms IP, where people can choose to join and influence  the main faction of the forgotten realm, and change between if they feel like doing so.  Where evil fights evil openly and where good fights good in the shade of old trees. 

Where i can visit the dale lands and Waterdeep, or just get lost in the cold wastes around tentowns. Where Cormir gets invaded by drunken dwarves and where Neverwinter is ruled by a pirate council. Where the underdark is truely dark and where danger lurks beyound every corner, a world where You want to live, but a world where you dont want to die.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

3/23/13 5:22:57 AM#2
They should have just called it "DDO 2: Our Second Shot at Ruining a Franchise". I uninstalled after about 4 hours.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

OP  3/23/13 5:26:16 AM#3
Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
They should have just called it "DDO 2: Our Second Shot at Ruining a Franchise". I uninstalled after about 4 hours.

As  a pen and paper dnd addict i think DDO was a great game.  On top of that untill recently DDO had nothing to do with the forgotten realms.

there is only 2 things that DDO have in common, they are DnD based and both are not MMOs.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

3/23/13 5:30:13 AM#4
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

As  a pen and paper dnd addict i think DDO was a great game.  On top of that untill recently DDO had nothing to do with the forgotten realms.

there is only 2 things that DDO have in common, they are DnD based and both are not MMOs.

I enjoyed DDO for a bit. Problem is, Neverwinter feels like Cryptic did their best to copy DDO...and failed. To me, it has the same feeling you get when you play a shitty private server of a well known game. It's the same game,  yet made to suck.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

Karelia

Apprentice Member

3/23/13 5:34:13 AM#5
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I enjoyed DDO for a bit. Problem is, Neverwinter feels like Cryptic did their best to copy DDO...and failed. To me, it has the same feeling you get when you play a shitty private server of a well known game. It's the same game,  yet made to suck.

something like that indeed

Hiron

Novice Member

3/23/13 6:26:22 AM#6

Personally I love DDO, no game to date has surpassed DDO dungeon designs. Best dungeons experience one can find in a mmo. With that expectation I began playing NW, as you could have guessed the disappointment was huge. Like I wrote in another post, I came here looking for a game of chess but found checkers instead=( A simple hack and slash game.